Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,168 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Of all the records I have, Buena Vista is comfortably the most played. It gets a run out at least once a month for years at this stage

That reminds me I saw Buena Vista Social Club on their adios tour in the National Concert Hall, even though it was a seated gig by end of night everyone was on their feet - including a a spry Senator Norris bopping away in the next row :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Can I mention I was in that Casa de la Trova in Santiago?

Can I mention I have a Tres from Santiago?

My main memory of Havana is doing a three hour tour where there was me, a Scottish Couple I'd never met before and 34 other people.

The whole thing was in Spanish (despite it being advertised as multilingual, I think we got on the wrong bus), everyone else was in stitches at the tour guide but me and the Scots were left to try to interpret as best we could

My bullet points from that tour:

Ernest Hemingway, he was mentioned a lot. I think we were in places where Hemingway did things.

Castro. He was very popular there.

Drank some Rum which was nice. Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Geldof is an awful gobsh!te

• Registered Users Posts: 72,633 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

So we enjoyed the Late Late Show music special then? :D

Live Aid on RTE was a bit different than what the BBC were showing

Madonna was giving it socks on stage but Marty Whelan faded her out to show a man from Cork handing over IR£4000 in cash to buy Gay Byrne's bike, which he had won at an auction.

We also get an update that Charlie Haughey's sexy painting was sold for IR£1250

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Skid X wrote: »
    My main memory of Havana is doing a three hour tour where there was me, a Scottish Couple I'd never met before and 34 other people.

The whole thing was in Spanish (despite it being advertised as multilingual, I think we got on the wrong bus), everyone else was in stitches at the tour guide but me and the Scots were left to try to interpret as best we could

My bullet points from that tour:

Ernest Hemingway, he was mentioned a lot. I think we were in places where Hemingway did things.

Castro. He was very popular there.

Drank some Rum which was nice. Very nice.

When you go?

If I recall correctly, along with Castro, the most popular things were Che Guevarra and your money. Madre de dios, did they like your money.

When you go?

If I recall correctly, along with Castro, the most popular things were Che Guevarra and your money. Madre de dios, did they like your money.

Ah this was must have been 15 years ago

Yeah, a few hombres tried to hustle me out of money. Big Che thing in the main square alright. (Che, one of our own. Him being one of the Lynches)

Good times though, nice place to visit. Caught a bit of music there. Might have been the Havana equivalent of the Jurys Cabaret, but it went down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I wasn't really aware of this cheesy but quite wonderful mishmash until now :o (! wasn't living in Ireland in 1990), but how can you go wrong building on Dearg Doom. RIP Jack Charlton :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Skid X wrote: »
    Madonna was giving it socks on stage but Marty Whelan faded her out to show a man from Cork handing over IR£4000 in cash to buy Gay Byrne's bike, which he had won at an auction.

Jaysus I've seen better fed Ethiopians!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I love the sound of a Strat. So many great players play or played them.

I wasn't really aware of this cheesy but quite wonderful mishmash until now :o (! wasn't living in Ireland in 1990), but how can you go wrong building on Dearg Doom. RIP Jack Charlton :(

I'm sorry, cheesy?

Cheesy? The best song ever?

Unbelievable.

I'm sorry, cheesy?

Cheesy? The best song ever?

Unbelievable.
    I usually hedge my bets /set up a preemptive defense against future scorn by including any possible negitive interpretations when expressing an opinion about artistic items :o:D

Oh, and I'm glad it was Larry, and not Bono, who initiated it (otherwise only scorn) :P

I usually hedge my bets /set up a preemptive defense against future scorn by including any possible negitive interpretations when expressing an opinion about artistic items :o:D

:D:D

That's generally the policy I try (try!) to adhere to.

Except when there's warbling. Hate the warbling.

So here was me assuming that the channel I found first on Freesat while looking for BBC Scotland, BBC Alba, was, well, BBC Scotland, and wondring why the music being shown was mostly trad... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,168 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

At random turned on the french language channel TV5 Monde Europe - female and male opera singers belting out Amazing Grace as a duet in English backed by a pipe band... Seems like Saturday night is music night there.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    At random turned on the french language channel TV5 Monde Europe - female and male opera singers belting out Amazing Grace as a duet in English backed by a pipe band... Seems like Saturday night is music night there.
    Serendipity is an underrrated discovery means :)

Great Live Aid documentaries across two nights :)

No mention though of The Hooters...I’m pretty sure they played the Philadephia show.

I’ll just google ‘Hooters’ for the rest of the night and see what results I get.

;)

No mention though of The Hooters...I’m pretty sure they played the Philadephia show.

I’ll just google ‘Hooters’ for the rest of the night and see what results I get.

;)

Just pictures of owls.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

;)

Really enjoyed the Live Aid docu. Had the house and TV to myself for the first time in months

For some reason I always think Sister Sledge are a metal band

PsychoPete wrote: »
    For some reason I always think Sister Sledge are a metal band
    Twisted Sister Sledge? :D

I some how manage to always mixed them up with twisted sister

We're not gonna take it,
    Anymore,
    No way!

sligojoek wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the Live Aid docu. Had the house and TV to myself for the first time in months

Loved the part where Bob announced the line-up at the press conference before he had even asked the artists :D

;)

:D:D:D

Looks like BBC2 are repeating Parts 1&2 of that Live Aid Doc on Monday and Tuesday night at 11.30pm

Hi, notable offerings this week include Kurt Cobain (TG4) Motown (Sky Documentaries) A Recording Studio in Monmouth (BBC4 and BBC Wales) and one more trip for Huey Morgan (BBC4). Having said, the schedules might change at the last minute again but here is the latest estimate. Also, some spoilers for The West Wing Series 7 at the end of this post. No, honestly ...

Thursday
    4pm Classic Albums: Meat Loaf – Bat Out Of Hell (Sky Arts)

9pm Glor Tire – Rogha Agus Togha (TG4)

9.30pm Tradfest TG4 (TG4)
    Doireann Ní Ghlacáin introduces performances recorded live at TradFest in Dublin City, including Mick O'Brien, Ciara Ní Bhriain, Mark Kelly and Séamus Begley

10.30pm Other Voices - Courage (RTE2)
    othervoices.ie

11.45pm Queen Live In Milton Keynes 1982 (Sky Arts)

12.45am Paul Simon Live At Hyde Park 2012 (Sky Arts)

Friday
    4pm Classic Albums: Phil Collins – Face Value (Sky Arts)

7pm CMA Fest 2019 (Sky Arts)
    Thomas Rhett and Kelsea Ballerini host the country music event in Nashville, with appearances by Carrie Underwood, Miranda Lambert and Lil Nas with Billy Ray Cyrus and Keith Urban

7pm Nigel Kennedy At The BBC (BBC4)
    Nigel Kennedy appearances. From The BBC.

8pm TOTP2 – FA Cup Special (BBC4)
    Mark Radcliffe provides football fans with a chance to revisit some of the best (and worst) songs produced to celebrate the tournament's conclusion over the years. Shown because the semi finals are on?

8.30pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – December 14 (BBC4)
    Nicky Campbell presents the edition first broadcast on 14 December, featuring performances by Rob'n'Raz, Van Morrison and Cliff Richard, Madonna, Latino Rave, Wet Wet Wet and Tina Turner

9pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – December 21 (BBC4)
    Bruno Brookes and Anthea Turner present the edition first broadcast on 21 December, featuring performances by Sonia, Bros, Band Aid II, FPI Project, Duran Duran and the Christians

9pm Shania Twain Live In Las Vegas (Sky Arts)

9.30pm & 1.45am Huey Morgan’s Latin Music Adventure – Puerto Rico (BBC4)
    Huey visits New York City, home to over a million Puerto Ricans and the place where he first fell in love with the hot sounds of Latin Music. 'El Barrio' or Spanish Harlem became the focal point for the community, with Latin music the soundtrack to their survival. Fusing traditional music with American R'n'B and soul, newly minted Nuyoricans created the '60s dance craze, the Boogaloo. Flying south to Puerto Rico itself Huey sets off on a journey to discover the music that was left behind, hunting down the roots of Salsa in the capital San Juan, and the traditional folk styles of Bomba and Plena

9.35pm Best of The Late Late Show Country Music Specials (RTE1)

10.30pm & 2.45am Latin Music – A Session with Edwin Colón Zayas (BBC4)

11pm Roy Orbison – One Of The Lonely Ones (BBC4)
    Biography of the singer and musician, casting new light on the triumphs and tragedies that beset his career, featuring performances and home movies, and providing an insight into Orbison's remote Texas childhood and his battles to get his voice heard. Featuring interviews with Jeff Lynne, T Bone Burnett, Bobby Goldsboro and Marianne Faithfull

11pm Kings Of Leon Live At The O2 2009 (Sky Arts)

11.30pm Other Voices (RTE2)

Midnight Southern Rock At The BBC (BBC4)
    Featuring Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Charlie Daniels Band, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Delaney & Bonnie with Eric Clapton, Dickey Betts, formerly of the Allman Brothers Band, the Marshall Tucker Band, Black Oak Arkansas, Greg Allman with Cher, and Edgar Winter

1am The Defiant Ones (BBC4)
    Ep 1 The stories of music entrepreneurs Jimmy Iovine and Dr Dre and their improbable partnership and influence on contemporary culture https://www.hbo.com/the-defiant-ones

1am The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert (Sky Arts)

2.45am The Rolling Stones In Hyde Park 2013 (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    3pm Foreigner Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)
    4.45pm Chicago Live In Chicago (Sky Arts)
    6.15pm Bee Gees Live In Melbourne 1989(Sky Arts)

8pm Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)

8.30pm Queen Rock Montreal 1981 (Sky Arts)

9pm Opry An Iuir (TG4)
    Daniel presents highlights of the 2018 series. Basically anyone who was on the LLS Country Music thing last night who was alive in 2018

9.15pm Rockfield- The Studio On The Farm (BBC4) New!
    Documentary telling the unlikely tale of how brothers Kingsley and Charles Ward turned their dairy farm in Monmouth into a world-renowned recording studio, playing host to Black Sabbath, Queen, the Stone Roses, Oasis, Coldplay, Simple Minds, Robert Plant and Manic Street Preachers among others. Including contributions by Ozzy Osbourne, Liam Gallagher, Tony Iommi and Chris Martin. Viewers in Wales can also watch this on BBC2 Wales tonight.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/new-bbc-documentary-rockfield-studios

10pm Film Silence (2011) (TG4)
    A mysterious Irish sound recordist living in Berlin sets off on a journey across Europe, documenting the noises of uninhabited places free from man-made disturbances, as he makes his way back to his childhood home in Donegal. Drama, starring Eoghan Mac Giolla Bhride and Hilary O'Shaughnessy. Probably not for everyone, but The Blues Brothers is on at the same time.

10.10pm Film – The Blues Brothers (ITV4)
    Cab Calloway though, 73 when he was in the film

10.30pm The Who Live At Kilburn 1977 (Sky Arts)

10.45pm Robert Plant – By Myself (BBC4)
    The singer discusses his varied life and musical career, including his upbringing in the West Midlands town of Stourbridge, his rise to stardom as the singer of influential rock band Led Zeppelin and his solo projects. 2010 BBC Doc

11.40pm Tradfest TG4 (TG4)
    As Thursday

11.45pm Coldplay Live At The BBC (2008)
    Filmed outside Television Centre before they bulldozed it

Midnight Sex Pistols There’ll Always be An England (Sky Arts)
    2007 Brixton Cash Grabbing gig

12.35am Top Of The Pops 1989 – December 14 (BBC4)
    1.05am Top Of The Pops 1989 – December 21 (BBC4)

1.30am The Jam Live At Rockpalast 1980 (Sky Arts)

3am Paul Weller: May Love Travel With You (Sky Arts)
    Royal Festival Hall gig

Sunday
    3pm Rebecca Ferguson Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

4.15pm Joni Mitchell at 75: A Birthday Celebration (Sky Arts)

6.45pm Coldplay Live In Sao Paolo 2017 (Sky Arts)

7.05pm BBC Proms Classics (BBC4)

8.30pm Pat Shortt’s Music From D’Telly (RTE1)

9pm Sam Smith & Anderson East - Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

9pm Hitsville – The Making Of Motown (Sky Documentaries)
    Rare performances, interviews and rarely seen footage come together to paint a picture of the history and origins of Motown

9.30pm Se Mo Loach – Arty McGlynn (TG4)

10.15pm David Bowie - A Reality Tour (Sky Arts)
    2003 from The Point Dublin

10.30pm Geantrai (TG4)
    Featuring singer Jimmy Crowley, Eoin O Raighaigh, Conal O Grada and members of the group North Cregg. Presented by Breanndán Ó Beaglaoich

11pm Cobain – Montage Of Heck (TG4)
    Filmmaker Brett Morgen explores the Nirvana frontman's childhood, career and tragic death, using material from the Cobains' personal archives

11pm Autopsy – Notorious BIG (VM1)

11.30pm Gregory Porter Live In Berlin 2016 (Sky Arts)

1.10am TOTP2 – FA Cup Special (BBC4)

Some old photos of Joe Strummer running the London Marathon surfaced this week, worth a look https://www.nme.com/news/music/check-out-these-unseen-photos-of-joe-strummer-running-the-1983-london-marathon-2700147

Here's a 2005 Doc on the same theme

And finally, The most awkward appearance by the Foo Fighters at an Election Results party of the week might be this one in the West Wing (Saturday 1.55pm TG4)

They turned up to the Democratic Results Party but during the evening the Vice President Elect was found dead. David Grohl kept on entertaining the guests as best he could regardless.

• Advertisement

^ Country music mentioned above. Anytime I see it mentioned, I think of Lurleeen Lumpkin.

Advertisement