Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Live now as I type, but available for the next 24 hours...

Jarvis Cocker’s new band Jarv Is performing the new album ‘Beyond The Pale’.

In full. In a cave in the Peak District.

Watch here...

https://youtu.be/mYQ3aQ20orA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Mr Cash is the only country music I can bare to listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello, news of a proper concert on RTE2, it’s a fundraiser for people in the Biz who haven’t been working lately and it’s on at a decent hour. Jazz Funk on BBC4 and Bowie on RTE2 with the excellent Anvil Film on Sky Documentaries.
    Elsewhere Lemmy is on the excellent Sunday night TG4 slot and we get Happy Christmas and goobye to the eighties from TOTP …

Wednesday
    10pm Being Frank – The Chris Sievey Story (Sky Arts)
    Steve Sullivan's documentary explores the life and career of musician and comedian Chris Sievey, who found relative fame wearing the papier-mache head of alter ego Frank Sidebottom

Thursday
    4pm Classic Albums Queen – A Night At The Opera (Sky Arts)

9pm Rogha Glor Tire (TG4)
    The return of the show featuring country and Irish music, including performances by Gene Stuart, Gary Gamble, Dana, Shaun Loughrey and Lorraine and the Conquerors

9.30pm Tradfest TG4 (TG4)
    Featuring Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer, the Glackins, Deirdre Hurley, Jacqui Martin, Gay McKeon and Conor Connolly

10.30pm Other Voices – Courage (RTE2)
    Musical performances by Murder Capital, Eve Belle, Neil Hannon and Cathy Davey

11pm Sidemen – Long Road To Glory (Sky Arts)
    A look at the lives and legacies of piano player Pinetop Perkins, drummer Willie 'Big Eyes' Smith and guitarist Hubert Sumlin - all sidemen to Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf

9pm Film The Blues Brothers (ITV4)

12.35am Gregory Porter Live In Berlin (Sky Arts)

Friday
    4pm Classic Albums Duran Duran – Rio (Sky Arts)

7pm Beach Boys – Good Vibrations Tour (Sky Arts)
    Anaheim 1976

8pm Dire Straits Alchemy 1983 (Sky Arts)
    From Hammersmith Academy

8pm Top Of The Pops – Christmas Day 1989 (BBC4)
    Jackie Brambles, Bruno Brookes and Gary Davies present the edition first broadcast on Christmas Day. Performers include Bros, the Beautiful South, Jason Donovan, Marc Almond and Gene Pitney, Mike and the Mechanics, Michael Ball, Michael Jackson, Simple Minds, Madonna, Kylie Minogue, Cliff Richard and Prince

9pm & 1.45am Rodney P’s Jazz Funk (BBC4) New!
    Rapper Rodney P Edwards reveals how the first generation of British-born black youngsters was inspired by the avant garde musical fusions of black America in the '70s to lay the foundations of modern-day multiculturalism by creating the first black British music culture with the Jazz Funk movement

9.15pm Se Mo Laoch – Arty McGlynn (TG4)

10pm & 2.45am Hot Chocolate At The BBC (BBC4)

10pm Guns N Roses – Appetite From Democracy (Sky Arts)
    From The Hard Rock Café Las Vegas 2012

11pm Top Of The Pops - The Story of 1989 (BBC4)
    A look back at the year when Radio 1's old guard was stood down as a team of fresh-faced recruits helmed the show. Contributors include Jason Donovan, Lisa Stansfield, Shaun Ryder, Chris Rea, Marc Almond, Sharleen Spiteri, Jazzie B and Jenny Powell

11.55pm Other Voices – Courage (RTE2)

Midnight I Can Go For That – The Smooth Sound Of Yacht Rock (BBC4)
    Ep 1 of 2 Katie Puckrik revisits a halcyon period of Los Angeles studio craft when studio-based artists such as the Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan and Hall & Oates produced the smoothest R'n'B and married it to adult themes about longing, aspiration and melancholy.

Midnight Lollapollooza 2019 (MTV Music)
    With The Strokes, Twenty One Pilots, Martin Garrix and more

12.30am Film Prince - Sign O The Times (Sky Arts)
    Concert film by the musician featuring highlights from gigs in Rotterdam and Antwerp on his 1987 European tour, as well as footage shot at his Paisley Park studio in Minnesota. Including performances of Sign o' the Times, I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man and If I Was Your Girlfriend, and the promo video for U Got the Look, featuring Sheena Easton

12.35am Film Almost Famous (RTE1)
    A teenage journalist is hired to write about a rock band and joins the group on tour, to the horror of his doting mother. While struggling to meet his deadline, he falls under the spell of the charismatic lead guitarist and a free-spirited groupie - but the youngster is forced to grow up fast before the manic world of rock 'n' roll overwhelms him. 1970s-set comedy drama, with Patrick Fugit, Billy Crudup, Kate Hudson and Frances McDormand

1am The Defiant Ones (BBC4)
    Ep 2 The stories of music entrepreneurs Jimmy Iovine and Dr Dre continues. This instalment explores Jimmy's reputation as a fearless, talented and indefatigable producer and how he reached the West Coast following a successful collaboration with Patti Smith. He describes moving to Los Angeles to produce with Tom Petty and his secret relationship with Stevie Nicks. Dr Dre talks about provocative songs, such as Straight Outta Compton, which were shaped by the bitter race relations in LA, how NWA evolved into a force to be reckoned with, and a devastating personal loss that overshadowed his success

2am Coldplay Live In Sao Paolo (Sky Arts)
    Personally, If I was in Sao Paolo I don’t think I’d be turning down all other attractions to go to a Coldplay gig but there you go

Saturday
    3pm Imelda May Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

4.30pm David Gilmour Live In Gdansk 2006 (Sky Arts)

6.15pm Pink Floyd Live In Pompeii 1972 (Sky Arts)

6.55pm Hitsville – The Making Of Motown (Sky Documentaries)
    Rare performances, interviews and rarely seen footage come together to paint a picture of the history and origins of Motown

7pm-9pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)

7.30pm U2 – Experience Live In Berlin (Sky Arts)

8.45pm-10.55pm Songs From An Empty Room (RTE2) New!
    Eoghan McDermott and Jenny Greene introduce a performance to support live music initiatives Minding Creative Minds and the Association of Irish Stage Technicians Hardship Fund, at a time when the music industry faces an uncertain future due to the coronavirus pandemic. The Academic, Picture This, Sorcha Richardson and Gavin James spearhead bands and solo artists performing at the Olympia Theatre, Dublin, Cyprus Avenue, Cork, Dolans, Limerick, INEC, Killarney and Roisin Dubh in Galway
    https://songsfromanemptyroom.com/

9pm Pet Shop Boys : Inner Sanctum – The Super Tour (Sky Arts)
    Royal Opera House 2018

9pm Opry An Iuir (TG4)
    With Roly Daniels

10.40pm Imagine … Andrew Lloyd Webber (BBC4)
    Alan Yentob talks to the Musicals Man in 2018

11.15pm Manic Street Preachers Live At Nynex 1997 (Sky Arts)

10.55pm David Bowie – The First Five Years (RTE2)
    The final part of Francis Whately's trilogy of films on Bowie's life, telling the story of the five years when many of the ideas that would help him become an icon were first born. Starting in 1966, soon after David Jones changed his name to David Bowie, the film traces his interest in everything from Holst and Pinky and Perky to Anthony Newley and Tibetan Buddhism, and how he used all of these influences to create not only Ziggy Stardust, but the material for his entire career

11.25pm TOTP2 - The Seventies (BBC2)

12.35am Tradfest TG4 (TG4)

1.15am Suede Live At The Royal Albert Hall 2010 (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    3pm Culture Club Live At Baloise Session 2017 (Sky Arts)

4.45pm Santana Live At Montreux 2011 (Sky Arts)

6.15 pm Joan Baez Live In New York (Sky Arts)

7pm BBC Proms Classics (BBC4)
    John Williams Broadway Tunes

8pm Paul Weller – May Love Travel With You (Sky Arts)
    Royal Festival Hall gig which is usually shown well after Midnight

8.30pm Pat Shortt’s Music From D’Telly (RTE1)
    A duet between Kris Kristofferson and Johnny Cash, Take That on the Late Late Show, a 1969 Fleadh Ceol that went awry, and the origins of the Castlebar Song Contest

9pm Anvil! The Story Of Anvil (Sky Documentaries)
    Sacha Gervasi's documentary follows Canadian rockers Anvil as they embark on one final push for fame. Despite playing a key role in the birth of speed metal and inspiring bands such as Metallica and Guns N' Roses, Anvil have never succeeded in achieving the recognition they deserved. Now in their 50s, the band head into the studio to record their 13th album and set off on a ramshackle tour of Europe

9pm The Pretenders – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

9.05pm Beethoven’s Fidelio – The Royal Opera (BBC4)

9.30pm Se Mo Laoch (TG4)
    Profile of Co Meath singers Maighread and Tríona Ní Domhnaill, who have performed with Skara Brae and the Bothy Band and worked to preserve the music of past generations

10pm Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary Concert (Sky Arts)

10.30pm Geantrai (TG4)
    Traditional music programme from O'Rourkes in Kilburn Park, London. Presented by Breanndán Ó Beaglaoich

11.05pm Film : Lemmy (2010) TG4
    A documentary portrait of Lemmy Kilmister, featurinh Dave Grohl, Metallica, Mick Jones, Henry Rollins, Ozzy Osbourne, The Damned, Peter Hook, Slash, Jarvis Cocker and Alice Cooper.

11.20pm Royal Opera House – The Reopening (BBC4)

12.15am Dire Straits Alchemy 1983 (Sky Arts)

12.50am Sings Musicals (BBC4)

Anvil and Motown on Sky Documentaries … I wonder are they slowly moving the meaty music offerings to Sky Docs so that they can release a slimmed down Sky Arts onto Free To Air? If you have seen anything else of interest do let us know please.

Interesting story behind Blame it on the Boogie, It was co-written by Michael Jackson – but not that one. The Jacksons helped themselves to it and when the two versions went head to head the English bloke lost out

Anyway, the best theme tune sang by Frankie Laine of a film I’m surprised they are still showing might be Blazing Saddles (RTE1 Saturday 11.40pm)

Apparently Mel Brooks co-wrote the song and advertised for a “Frankie Laine style singer”** to perform it. Frankie reckoned he could do a decent Frankie Laine style effort himself so he applied and got the gig. He gave it socks and they never told him the movie was not your traditional western until after it was released.
    ** Frankie had form for this sort of thing, he saw the Rawhide theme, you can here a version of that by the Good Old Blues Baker Boys Band form Chicago on Thursday at 9pm on ITV4

PsychoPete wrote: »
    That is excellent. Hard to believe the Nirvana lads are in their 50s now and Pat Smear being 60. Time in music passes quickly

Loved the animated sequences, as well as the ones where they make his journal drawings come to life.

Nirvana were actually due to play in Dublin on the day Kurt’s body was found...

Nirvana-Cancelled-April-8-1994.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Although I've seen The Blues Brothers (ITV4+1 right now) a million times, it reminds me of my more or less annual stay up late at Christmas & drink cans of Guinness watching The Blues Brothers night. Love that night. Best Thing Ever.

Anyway, fùckin 3 ads - sorry for the narky turn - but I've just seen 3 ads in a row that take well known upbeat songs and make them into piano & voice slow vulnerable efforts.

Steppenwolf! The Proclaimers! Is no one safe!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Oh,and Happy Birthday Slash!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Although I've seen The Blues Brothers (ITV4+1 right now) a million times, it reminds me of my more or less annual stay up late at Christmas & drink cans of Guinness watching The Blues Brothers night. Love that night. Best Thing Ever.

Anyway, fùckin 3 ads - sorry for the narky turn - but I've just seen 3 ads in a row that take well known upbeat songs and make them into piano & voice slow vulnerable efforts.

Steppenwolf! The Proclaimers! Is no one safe!?!?
    That's fierce fvcking annoying alright, ad companies thinking they're trendy and hip, nothing original about it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Oh,and Happy Birthday Slash!
    A Gibson man :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

The Blues Brothers always reminds me of the mid 80's going up to my cousins who lived in what was a 60's American dream house at the foothills of the Dublin mountains with views from Howth to Dun Laoghaire. I would have been about nine or ten at time when one of them came back from the video shop with the BB and one of the older sisters said "You must have rented that out about seven times now" and the reply was yep.

Anyway, I was enjoying this VHS rental music/comedy video but when the John Lee Hooker Harlem scene came on and heard that loose plucking guitar with the fret buzz and Boom Boom - phuck me - I fell right in love with blues straight away.

The same cousins allowed me to watch Apocalypse Now and The Deer Hunter at that age (with only slight mental scarring) but played me Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and The Velvet Underground. Being the youngest of eight rebellious and counter culture relatives had it's advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Sidemen is excellent

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BBC2 tonight 23:20 125 min Fri 24 July
    For a Few Dollars More
    [Movie] (1965) [15]

“Morricone’s music was the most complex score of the ‘Dollars’ trilogy, with the incidental theme ‘narrating’ the entire film. It marked the beginning of Morricone’s use of musical riffs, trills or twangs associated with individual characters. Each protagonist has a musical signature. Manco has a flute, the colonel a twang on a Jew’s harp and Indio an ominous Rodrigo guitar riff and a tolling bell.”

And those pocket watch chimes.

And Alessandroni's whistling.

Roy Wood - unsung pop genius :)

CHRISTMAS FLUBBERTYPOPPITY!

tenor.gif?itemid=14634196

Tee hee...”We’ll be looking at all the number twos” :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

BBC2 tonight 23:20 125 min Fri 24 July
    For a Few Dollars More
    [Movie] (1965) [15]

“Morricone’s music was the most complex score of the ‘Dollars’ trilogy, with the incidental theme ‘narrating’ the entire film. It marked the beginning of Morricone’s use of musical riffs, trills or twangs associated with individual characters. Each protagonist has a musical signature. Manco has a flute, the colonel a twang on a Jew’s harp and Indio an ominous Rodrigo guitar riff and a tolling bell.”

And those pocket watch chimes.

And Alessandroni's whistling.

Excellent. :)
    This is my favourite movie in the dollars trilogy. Indio is a marvellous villain.
    And you're right, the music is just amazing. The chimes in the climactic scene, just fantastic.

The Living Years.

dc-Cover-r7s8taq5hp0fm1upu432k0g040-20170804103919.Medi.jpeg

Alright, who’s eaten all the Noisette Triangles?

Are the re-runds of TOTP 1989 really coming to an end...

Ac/dc streaming the River Plate concert from 2009 on YouTube right now

Gene Pitney died in Cardiff

Of all the towns in all the World for Gene Pitney to die in, I would not have expected him to die in Cardiff.

Like A Prayer is a cracking song, it stood the test of time better than any of her other tunes IMO.

• Advertisement

Could have sworn 1989 was the year of Madchester :D

Madonna lost me when she started dressing like some sort of pirate hooker

Not enough guitar on this guitar-based song, Jason.

2003-january-charlie-chuck.jpg

BATDANCE!

200.gif

Dvgnk9VWoAUm5C9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Could have sworn 1989 was the year of Madchester :D

All of the good stuff was way outside the top ten - god the crap people were buying en masse.

Can’t help but feel that London Boys were aimed solely for the gay market.

Just a hunch.

Jennifer, Alison, Phillipa...

340?cb=20130927123336

• Advertisement

Soul II Soul and The Beautiful South on the same show, reminds of this story which I read on the entirely reliable gossip site popbitch.com ...

When The Beautiful South were threatened with legal action by Jazzie B over a lyric in their song 'My Book' they were advised to settle out of court. Jazzie B's publishers sent over a raft of legal papers for Paul Heaton and Dave Rotheray to sign.

"Feeling aggrieved and wanting to make things as difficult as possible for Jazzie B's people, Heaton and Rotheray not only signed the requested bits, but next to every reference to 'Trevor Beresford Romeo, professionally known as Jazzie B' they wrote 'C*NT' in very large letters, assuming this would render the documents useless.

"They were very disappointed when Jazzie B's people got in touch to thank them for their co-operation and assuring them that everything was now cool at their end."

Advertisement