Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

Sky Arts is going FTA in September. No other details yet other than Freeview will have it, nothing about Freesat who are so badly run they'll probably somehow manage to not get this on the platform

That's the good news. The bad news is that anything worth watching will be moved to other channels like Sky Documentaries and they won't be too bothered about making or paying for new content for a FTA channel.

P.S. Skid - It's a Bank Holiday weekend over here this weekend, so you better have one hell of a line up for us later! :P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

BandMember wrote: »
    That's the good news. The bad news is that anything worth watching will be moved to other channels like Sky Documentaries and they won't be too bothered about making or paying for new content for a FTA channel.

P.S. Skid - It's a Bank Holiday weekend over here this weekend, so you better have one hell of a line up for us later! :P :D

Ha, no pressure at all then!

Yeah, pros and cons for the Sky Arts move but hopefully a lot of the shows which are premiered on Sky Docs will trickle down to the other station

Speaking of which, there is a new Doc about the Go Gos on Sky Documentaries, and a new Gospel thing on BBC4. All sorts of stuff on the other channels including Christy Moore on the TG4 Sunday Night slot

Thursday
    8pm Great Film Composers - The Magic Of The Movies (Sky Arts)
    The 1980s: Part one of two. Soundtracks of the 1980s, including John Williams' score for ET, Brad Fiedel's music for The Terminator and Wendy Carlos and Rachel Elkind's work on The Shining

9pm Glor Tire Rogha Agus Togha (TG4)

9.30pm TradfestTG4 (TG4)
    Featuring Frankie Gavin, Emma Corbett and Martin Murray, Nell Ní Chróinín, Rónán Galvin and Youenn Bothorel

10.30pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    performances by Fontaines D.C., Saint Sister & Crash Ensemble, and Cormac Begley & Stephanie Keane

11.30pm The Rolling Stones Live In Hyde Park 2013 (Sky Arts)

12.45am David Bowie – A Reality Tour (Sky Arts)
    2003 gig from Dublin’s Point Theatre

2.20am The Kemps: All True (BBC2)
    Spoof documentary, starring Gary and Martin Kemp as themselves, following the brothers as they launch new careers in the wake of Spandau Ballet's 40th anniversary celebrations. While Martin tries to get a sci-fi movie franchise off the ground, Gary has a new brand of vegan meat substitute to promote. Good fun

Friday
    7pm Gershwin’s Summertime – The Song That Rocked The World (BBC4)
    How George Gershwin and DuBose Heyward's song Summertime became a standard around the world

7pm Queen Rock Montreal (1981) (Sky Arts)

8pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – December 28 (BBC4)
    Mike Read and Paul Gambaccini present the edition first broadcast on 28 December, featuring performances by Kim Wilde, Aswad and Band Aid II. Plus, Bros, Duran Duran, the Pet Shop Boys, Michael Jackson, Phil Collins, Kylie Minogue and many others feature in “a reflective look at hits from the entire decade”

9pm Gospel According To Mica – The Story Of Gospel Music In Six Songs (BBC4) New!
    British soul singer Mica Paris traces the origins of six famous gospel songs and finds out why some of her contemporaries have returned to their gospel roots.

9pm Roger Waters – The Wall (Sky Arts)
    Roger performs the Pink Floyd album in full in an elaborately staged theatrical production
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Waters:_The_Wall

9.15pm Se Mo Laoch (TG4)
    Maighréad agus Tríona Ní Dhomhnaill Profile of Co Meath singers Maighread and Tríona Ní Domhnaill, who have performed with Skara Brae and the Bothy Band and worked to preserve the music of past generations

10pm The Last Pirates – Britain’s Rebel DJs (BBC4)
    Rodney P looks at the black music scene driven by pirate radio in Britain in the 80s

10pm I Love … 1984 (BBC2)
    Holly Johnson off Frankie Goes To Hollywood looks at things that were going on in 1984. The charts featured Nik Kershaw, Madonna, Sade and his own band Frankie Goes to Hollywood, and he also looks at Care Bears, The A-Team and The Brat Pack

10.30pm Live At Eden – Madness (BBC Red Button – on a loop)

11pm Classic Albums: Amy Winehouse – Back To Black (BBC4)

11.30pm John Lennon Live In New York 1972 (Sky Arts)

Midnight Other Voices (RTE2)
    As Thursday

Midnight BBC Proms Classics - Pete Tong Ibiza Classics (BBC4)
    No, none of that listing makes sense to me either. A 2005 Prom where Pete Tong And The Heritage Orchestra play the hits of Fatboy Slim, Eric Prydz, Shapeshifters, Robert Miles, ATB, Moby, Frankie Knuckles, Orbital, Inner City, Daft Punk, Faithless and Stardust
    Possibly inspired by this

Midnight MTV World Stage – Green Day Live (MTV Music)

12.45am Liam Gallagher Live In New York (Sky Arts)

1.35am I Can Go For That – The Smooth Sound Of Yacht Rock (BBC4)
    Katie Puckrik charts the progress of the genre through the 1980s, when it became the soundtrack to America in the Reagan era, and when artists like Toto, Hall & Oates and George Benson created a technicolour second wave of a super smooth sound. In the second of two programmes, yacht session supremos Jay Graydon and Steve Porcaro recall working with Benson. Porcaro joined other LA session players to form Toto and he and Steve Lukather reveal how they brought a little yacht magic to the biggest-selling album in history - Michael Jackson's Thriller

2am The Godfathers Of Hardcore (Sky Arts)
    Documentary looking at the lives and careers of Roger Miret and Vinnie Stigma, whose band Agnostic Front was at the forefront of the New York hardcore punk scene

2.35am The Defiant Ones (BBC4)
    Ep 3 of 6 Jimmy Iovine talks about hitting a wall and how he considered his own career shift after a particularly difficult collaboration with U2, while Dr Dre discusses a series of calamities he experienced including personal losses on the streets and run-ins with police authorities. If you have had a particularly difficult collaboration with U2, there are details of a helpline later

Saturday
    12.50pm Film Sunshine On Leith (Film4)
    The Proclaimers Musical

3pm Pet Shop Boys Live At The O2 2009 (Sky Arts)
    4pm Paul Weller – May Love Travel With You (Sky Arts)
    5pm The Who Live At Kilburn 1977 (Sky Arts)

6.30pm Robert Plant & The Sensational Space Shifters – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

7pm-9pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)

7.45pm Iron Maiden - Somewhere Back In Time Live (Sky Arts)
    2008 gig

9pm Opry An Iuir le Daniel (TG4)
    From Newry

9pm Deep Purple – Come Hell Or High Water (Sky Arts)
    1993 concert

10.45pm Aretha Franklin – Respect (BBC4)
    A tribute to the singer known as the Queen of Soul, featuring contributions from Tom Jones, Beverley Knight, Clarke Peters and Trevor Nelson

11.15pm Gospel According To Mica – The Story Of Gospel Music In Six Songs (BBC4)

11.15pm-2am Download Festival 2019 (Sky Arts)
    Highlights of the event held at Donington Park where the headline acts were Def Leppard, Slipknot and Tool

12.15am Mahalia Jackson In Concert (BBC4)
    The New Orleans Gospel singer performs in London in 1964

12.45am Tradfest TG4 (TG4)
    As Thursday

12.50am TOTP2 – Football Songs (BBC4)
    May not contain this

12.50am Film: Spike Island (2012) (BBC1)
    Five teenage boys from Manchester are desperate to see the Stone Roses in concert during the summer of 1990. Making it to the gig at Cheshire's Spike Island means spending three days on the road, an experience that tests their friendships and forces them to consider what their future holds

1.15am Top Of The Pops 1989 – December 28 (BBC4)

2am Foo Fighters – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

2.15am Gershwin’s Summertime – The Song That Rocked The World (BBC4)

3.15am Babymetal Live At Wembley Arena (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    3pm John Lennon Live In New York 1972 (Sky Arts)
    4.15pm The Pretenders – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)
    5.30pm Queen Rock Montreal 1981 (Sky Arts)

7pm BBC Proms Classics – Sheku And Chineke (BBC4)

7.30pm George Ezra Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Pat Shortt’s Music From D’Telly (RTE1)

9pm Pearl Jam – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

9pm The Go Gos (Sky Documentaries) New!
    A look at the revolutionary journey of the first successful, all-female band to write their own songs, play their own instruments and score number-one hits

9.30pm Christy Moore Live – Come All You Dreamers (TG4)
    Footage of a concert performed in 2008 at Barrowland in Glasgow by the folk singer and his accompanist Declan Sinott. The pair play songs including Missing You, Black Is the Colour, Pair of Brown Eyes and Ride On
    I don't have a clip of that but here is the Late Late Show tribute to Christy

10pm Chas And Dave – Last Orders (BBC4)
    an insight into Chas Hodges and Dave Peacock's successful five decades in the music industry

10.15pm-1am Download Festival 2019 (Sky Arts)

11.25pm Geantrai (TG4)

11.55pm Annie Lennox – An Evening Of Nostalgia (TG4)
    The singer fronts her only full concert performance of songs from her Grammy-nominated Nostalgia album, demonstrating her distinctive vocal and performance talents on an array of classic American standards. She concludes with a selection of her own hits performed solo at the piano

11.55pm Film Ibiza – The Silent Movie (BBC4)
    Director Julien Temple and soundtrack provider Fatboy Slim offer a musical time-travelling trip through the history of dance music's most influential, charismatic and spiritual island in the Mediterranean, taking in 3,000 years of its history

That's more or less that, do let us know if any of that is misleading or if there is anything else going on

Jarvis Cocker appeared on Newsnight last week, always good to see them reporting on the real issues of the day
    https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1284253984702836737

I think that I Love 1984 show up there features a clip of Boy George and Culture Club's appearance on The A-Team. That features the clip below where Face introduces 'The Culture Club' in a Bar which looks suspiciously like Bob's Country Bunker. What a time to have been alive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Skid X wrote: »
    I think that I Love 1984 show up there features a clip of Boy George and Culture Club's appearance on The A-Team. That features the clip below where Face introduces 'The Culture Club' in a Bar which looks suspiciously like Bob's Country Bunker. What a time to have been alive

Phil in his appearance in Miami Vice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Sky Arts is going FTA in September. No other details yet other than Freeview will have it, nothing about Freesat who are so badly run they'll probably somehow manage to not get this on the platform

Great news! hopefully it doesn’t get too diluted down to sh1t

Aonghus McNally seems to be well regarded on this thread, and rightly so.

He shall now be referred to as Aonghy Mac

That sounds like a plan to me!

Aonghy Mac gave a reprise of Drag Racer last night to mark the start of the World Snooker in Sheffield, lovely stuff.

https://twitter.com/AonghusMcAnally/status/1288946957461979144

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

dasdog wrote: »
    Phil in his appearance in Miami Vice

His character is a total knob, so not exactly much of a stretch there :)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

END OF THE 80’S POPSCHE!!

giphy.gif

Top air guitar action from Mike Read.

Said no one ever.

Haircut 100, idols of the 80’s :confused:

Idols of 1982, more like :D

The Irish National Anthem there...

• Advertisement

Shaky and Quo, what a way to end the 80’s.

tenor.gif?itemid=5510636

I just remembered I have Adam and the Ants Prince Charming on vinyl. I think it was the second album I ever owned. The state of them on the back cover photo but it had some good tunes.

Bob Marley and ABBA didn’t stay the course in the 80’s, let’s be honest.

Andy Bell really packing tonight :eek:

Not that I noticed :o

DE BURGH!!

tenor.gif

The next morning the Lady in Red deeply regretted the events of the previous night and swore never to drink again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Iron Maiden. Woohoo!!

I prefer this version of ‘We Are The World’...

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

dasdog wrote: »
    I just remembered I have Adam and the Ants Prince Charming on vinyl. I think it was the second album I ever owned. The state of them on the back cover photo but it had some good tunes.

That was the first album I ever bought! Which was pretty cool. First single was The Lion Sleeps Tonight, which was not so cool :D

Edit: it had a lyric sheet insert. I can confirm that "da diddly qua qua" are official lyrics in Prince Charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I read online sky arts will be going free to air soon, so you won't need a sky subscription to watch it.Alot of 80,s groups will be forgotten
    they will always be playing ABBA songs on classic music radio.

• Advertisement

Kim Wilde, though.

ij4Uhq.gif

She looked amazing there alright

That was the first album I ever bought! Which was pretty cool. First single was The Lion Sleeps Tonight, which was not so cool :D

Edit: it had a lyric sheet insert. I can confirm that "da diddly qua qua" are official lyrics in Prince Charming.

Repeated over and over - I must give it a listen there are some great drumming overdubs.

Mike Read should have introduced ‘Relax’. :pac:

Mike Read should have introduced ‘Relax’. :pac:

He was so offended by that song, he did the voiceover for the Frankie Television advert

"Good Clean Fun For All The Family!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

FYC's drummer: a bass drum, a snare drum and hi-hats.

Good idea...let’s play the original Band Aid, whilst Band Aid II is number one :D

Will Leahy played the Self Aid Song on RTE Gold this morning, I haven't heard that on the radio since the day Self Aid was on

No Popsche for the next few weeks :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No Bananaram

Advertisement