Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

The Last Pirates was pretty good though I was hoping they'd dip in to the early jungle years.

I did a few shows myself for sunset radio around 1990/91. Instead of a tower block in London it was a gaf in Sandyford with a homemade transmitter on the roof and we were the thrash metal slot in what was primarily a dance/rave station :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

First single was The Lion Sleeps Tonight, which was not so cool :D
    Easily explained.

The urge to buy it was only a whim away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

BBC have moved evening snooker live sessions from BBC2 to BBC4. At least for next week and a half. Hopefully Top of the pops 1990 will be back on BBC4 after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,142 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bit surreal... catching up on last nights TOTP which featured Kylie.
    While sipping some Kylie rose :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Not much on tonight, looks like some Download festival is on the cards tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Just found this excellent 1996 documentary about ‘The Seattle Scene’ *shudder*...

Beware Dublin, for this is the fate that awaits you in 2021 :pac:

A&R men looking for the next Fontaines DC :D

The Purple on Sky Arts.

May possibly end with a song about a fire in Montreux.

Surprisingly, Ritchie Blackmore exited the stage quicker than the rest :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Surprisingly, Ritchie Blackmore exited the stage quicker than the rest :pac:
    On the subject of Ritchie, Rainbow were a very good band. Ronnie James Dio was a great singer in Rainbow.

A bit o’ the Leppard for a Saturday night :)

AND I WANT!

AND I NEED!

AND I LOVE!

ANIMAL!

• Advertisement

Great, Lick My Love Pum...er, I mean, Pour Some Sugar On Me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    On the subject of Ritchie, Rainbow were a very good band. Ronnie James Dio was a great singer in Rainbow.

Absolutely loved Rainbow. Still do.

Oddly enough I was watching this last night.

Halestorm singer has a fair set o’ pipes on her :)

She’s no Suzi Quatro though.

#askyourparents

THIS IS A MOTHER******* INVITATION!! :D

Time to Go-Go to Sky Documentaries for a music film about a band, can’t remember what they’re called.

‘Our Lips Are Sealed’ - classic (The Fun Boy Three version too) :)

Christy Moore live in Glasgow just started on TG4. Should be viewable outside Ireland as well

https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/watch-live/home/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

sligojoek wrote: »
    Absolutely loved Rainbow. Still do.

Oddly enough I was watching this last night.

And watching the current documentary on BBC4 I find out Ritchie Blackmore played in The Outlaws with Chas of Chas'n'Dave fame.

Documentary is still at the early stages but I wonder if it will include their contribution to Eminem's My Name Is.

Thamks . Forgot about that show.

If I'm not mistaken Miriam O Callaghan was the researcher on that.

Check the credits at the end.

Thamks . Forgot about that show.

If I'm not mistaken Miriam O Callaghan was the researcher on that.

Check the credits at the end.

I was wrong about Miriam. But I know she did something else about C n D.

• Advertisement

dasdog wrote: »
    And watching the current documentary on BBC4 I find out Ritchie Blackmore played in The Outlaws with Chas of Chas'n'Dave fame.

Documentary is still at the early stages but I wonder if it will include their contribution to Eminem's My Name Is.

Just watched it on youtube now. Ritchie Blackmore's eyes after 14.25.

I was wrong about Miriam. But I know she did something else about C n D.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I basically knew nothing about the Go-Gos before watching the recent documentary.

How has a second all female band who write their own songs not topped the Billboard Album Chart? That's insane!

And my mind is blown that Belinda Carlisle was in a punk band in the late 70s with Pat Smear. I only knew her from her late 80s output which is far removed from her punk roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello, no TOTPoppage this week, first time in a long time as BBC4 drag their heels over the repeats. There is no Fleadh this year but both TG4 and RTE plough on regardless with their coverage. BBC4 offers a new Doc about Liverpool’s The Real Thing while TG4 has a Shane McGowan gig from Montreux …

Thursday
    8pm Great Film Composers – The Music Of The Movies (Sky Arts)
    The 1980s: Part Two Part two of two. A look at the 1980s soundtracks by Alan Silvestri, Hans Zimmer, Michael Kamen and Maurice Jarre, including scores for The Abyss, Rain Man, Die Hard and Mad Max

9pm Glor Tire – Rogha Agus Togha (TG4)
    The best of Country and Irish featuring James Quinn as well as Matt Dillon, one of the previous Glór Tíre competitors

9.30pm Fleadh 2020 (TG4) New!
    Coverage of the coronavirus-affected event celebrating Irish music, language, song and dance, featuring people who would have been in Mullingar this week. Presented by Doireann Ní Ghlacáin and Dáithí Ó Sé
    https://www.tg4.ie/en/information/press/press-releases/2020-2/fleadh2020/

10.40pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Lankum, winners of the 2019 RTÉ Choice Prize, play a set in Kilkenny Castle and Mick Flannery is joined by folk artist Susan O Neill to play in the Crawford Gallery in Cork. Harpist Loaise Kelly, who was named TG4 Gradam Ceoil's Musician of the Year in 2020, performs in Kylemore Abbey

11.45pm Robert Plant and The Sensational Shape Shifters – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

Friday
    7pm Simply Red Live In Holland (Sky Arts)
    This kind of thing coming soon to Free To Air, if you can contain your excitement for a bit

8.30pm Fleadh Cheoil (RTE1) New!
    Ep 1 of 6 The best of Irish traditional music from Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2019. John Creedon and Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh return to the helm for Drogheda's second and final year hosting the event. With music from Oisín Mac Diarmada and friends, Francis Gaffney and John Carty, Sibéal Ní Chasaide and the O'Gorman family

9pm Everything: The Real Thing Story (BBC4) New!
    The rise of four working class boys from one of Liverpool's toughest neighbourhoods, who fought hardship and discrimination to become the biggest-selling black group in British pop history. With a string of hits, they dominated the international charts throughout the 1970s with iconic songs like You to Me Are Everything, Can't Get by Without You, and Can You Feel the Force. Hpwever the group's meteoric success was also tempered with personal tragedy, drug addiction and racial prejudice. One of them entered their dog in crufts and won, I don’t know if this Doc covers that

9pm Roy Orbison – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)
    1982 gig

9.30pm Fleadh 2020 (TG4)
    More of the same from Doireann and Daithi

10.15pm Carl Perkins And Friends (Sky Arts)
    1982 Wembley show with Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr and others

10.30pm & 2.25am Beats, Bass and Bars – The Story Of Grime (BBC4)
    Rodney P examines how grime rose from the council estates of east London to become the most important British musical movement since punk

11.10pm Harry Styles Live In Manchester (RTE2)

11.15pm Santana: Greatest Hits Live In Montreux 2011 (Sky Arts)

11.30pm BBC Proms Classics – Grime Symphony 2015 (BBC4)
    A BBC Prom of Grime Music
    IDipyBr.gif

12.15am Other Voices (RTE2)

12.45am Bee Gees Live In Melbourne 1989 (Sky Arts)

12.50am The Defiant Ones (BBC4)
    Ep 4 of the Jimmy Iovine and Dr Dre Doc

1.30am Guitar Heroes At The BBC (BBC4)
    ncludes electric performances by Carlos Santana, Mark Knopfler, Peter Green and the Edge, and acoustic material by John Martyn, John Renbourn, Bert Jansch and Paco Pena

Saturday
    2.50pm Paul Carrack – The Long Detour (Sky Arts)
    2018 Birmingham gig

5pm George Ezra Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)
    “Hello, is that Baloise Session? Sky Arts here -how much for every concert you’ve ever put on and haven’t taped over? We have a deal”

6.30pm Imelda May Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

7pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)

8pm David Bowie - Finding Fame (Yesterday)
    The final part of Francis Whately's trilogy of films on Bowie's life, telling the story of the five years when many of the ideas that would help him become an icon were first born. Starting in 1966, soon after David Jones changed his name to David Bowie, the film traces his interest in everything from Holst and Pinky and Perky to Anthony Newley and Tibetan Buddhism, and how he used all of these influences to create not only Ziggy Stardust, but the material for his entire career

8pm Joe Bonamassa – British Blues Explosion (Sky Arts)
    The musican pays homage to the blues rock guitarists from the UK who inspired him - Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page - in a 2016 concert in London

9pm Glor Tire - Rogha Agus Togha (TG4)
    including Mike Denver, Johnny Brady, Louise Morrissey, N*&#an Crter, Brendan Shine, Michael English and Mick Flavin

9.30pm Fleadh 2020 (TG4)

10.15pm Beth Hart Live At The Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)
    A 2018 concert in the famous London venue by the American singer-songwriter, featuring performances of songs including For My Friends, My California and Trouble

11.05pm Film: A Mighty Wind (TG4)
    The death of a 1960s folk music producer is marked by a tribute concert featuring three of his old acts - an unbearably cheery nine-strong group, a trio of earnest one-hit wonders, and former lovers and singing partners who have not seen each other since their break-up. Spoof documentary, starring Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara alongside Spinal Tap's Harry Shearer, Michael McKean and Christopher Guest, who also directed

12.05am Beyond The Candalabra (BBC1)
    Biopic of pianist Liberace, Directed by Steven Soderbergh and starring Michael Douglas and Matt Damon

12.15am Everything – The Real Thing Story (BBC4)
    This was on last night

12.55am Jack Bruce Tribute Concert (Sky Arts)
    A performance from London's Roundhouse in October 2015, celebrating the former Cream bassist's life and career, and featuring the likes of Ginger Baker and Vernon Reid
    Reviews here from The Drummers Journal (A bit like The Farmer's Journal only for Drummers)
    https://www.thedrummersjournal.com/blog/ginger-baker-walks-off-stage

1.45am Top Of The Pops – Big Hits 1986 (BBC4)
    A look back at some of the records that dominated the year, featuring songs by Bon Jovi, Cyndi Lauper, Cameo, the Pretenders, the Real Thing, Billy Ocean and the Communards. Other highlights include the Housemartins, Kim Wilde, the Human League and the Cure

3.10am Chris Rea Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    3pm Simply Red Live In Holland (Sky Arts)

5pm Roy Orbison Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)
    1982 gig

6.15pm Concert For George (Sky Arts)
    A special tribute concert for the late George Harrison, filmed at the Royal Albert Hall, and featuring surviving Beatles Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr performing together for the first time since 1969. Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Ravi Shankar, Jools Holland and George's son Dhani sing renditions of classic hits including Something, Taxman, My Sweet Lord and My Guitar Gently Weeps
    This sort of thing

7.30pm BBC Proms Classics – Mahler

8.30pm Port – Brittany (TG4)
    Julie Fowlis and Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh explore the traditional music of Brittany, joined by musicians Mischa Macpherson and Laoise Kelly, as well as local acts

9pm James Taylor – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

9pm Mr Dynamite – The Rise Of James Brown (Sky Documentaries)
    The career of the singer, musician and producer, charting his journey from his first hit Please, Please, Please in 1956 through his pioneering funk phase to later chart success

9.30pm MTV Live – Bush (MTV Music)

9.30pm Fleadh 2020 (TG4)

10.15pm Joni Mitchell 75 – A Birthday Celebration (Sky Arts)
    A tribute concert from 2018 in which musicians including Rufus Wainwright, Chaka Khan and James Taylor came together to celebrate Joni Mitchell's 75th birthday

11pm Geantrai (TG4)
    Trad from Sligo, no more details at time of writing

11.20pm Cobain: Montage Of Heck (Sky Documentaries)
    Excellent Kurt Cobain Doc which was on TG4 recently

11.30pm Shane McGowan And The Popes– Live At Montreux (TG4)
    From 1995. Apparently features a version of Neil Diamond’s Cracklin Rosie

https://www.popmatters.com/macgowanshane-live19952005-2496002085.html

12.45am Music Icons – Joni Mitchell (Sky Arts)

That’s more or less that, do let us know of any omissions or errors or anything else that occurs to you

Hot Press have started a series of Van Morrison covers by Irish Artists to celebrate his 75th Birthday
    https://www.hotpress.com/music/kicking-off-hot-press-van-morrison-youtube-celebration-22824039

And finally, nice to see The Folksmen getting an airing in The Mighty Wind, there. They never really recovered from that disasterous tour where they supported Spinal Tap, getting booed off on most nights. To this day, the two bands have never been photographed together. Creative Differences and all that …

http://www.spinaltapfan.com/atozed/TAP00185.HTM

Real Thing documentary on BBC Four right now.

Some of the contributors...

352840552_7a9a0a6ec7_z.jpg

The only band that ever had The Beatles as a back-up group :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Andrea corr - dang!

Also want to have a sneak peak at that grime doc for the sh1ts n giggles

My god...Frankie Valli’s version of ‘You To Me Are Everything’ really is horiffic :eek:

Not even going to post the yootoob link.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The only band that ever had The Beatles as a back-up group :D

I am reading a new biography of said popular beat combo at the moment https://www.hotpress.com/music/book-review-one-two-three-four-beatles-time-craig-brown-22814524

It mentions this weird story in passing - The man who drove into John Lennon's Mother and killed her, he later became a postman and delivered sack loads of fan mail to Paul McCartney every day. His story was revealed by the Daily Mirror a few years ago

"Reminders of the accident came back to him in an even more astonishing way.

"My postman's round took in Rosthlin Road, where Paul McCartney used to live.

"At the height of the Beatles' fame I used to deliver hundreds of cards and letters to the house.

"I remember struggling up the path with them all. But of course they just reminded me of John Lennon and his mother."

For 40 years Eric has kept his awful secret to himself. He could not bring himself to reveal the truth about his involvement in the death of Julia Lennon...not even to his close family.

"It is something I have always kept deep inside," he said. "I haven't even told my wife and children. I suppose I will have to now."

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/I+killed+the+mother+of+John+Lennon+and+changed+the+course+of+history%3B...-a060660354

• Advertisement

Martin Birch.

RIP

Advertisement