Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Now Lankum with ‘The Rocky Road To Dublin’ :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Manhunter Mon, Aug 24 · 22:10-23:20 · 117. ITV4

Michael Mann picks the music and the Brian Cox is a much more believable villian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SPDUB wrote: »

Sky Arts will also be available on Freesat on channel number 147.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello, news this week of two new charity concerts on Virgin Media and RTE. Are they any good? Well, they're for charity. Also new Bob Marley Doc on BBC2 and a full length Foo Fighters set on BBC4, which is nice. Van Morrison's Birthday is celebrated with the shows which were shown on his last significant Birthday and there are all sorts of other things on offer too ...

Thursday
    4pm Music Icons – Patti Smith (Sky Arts)
    4.30pm Music Icons – Simple Minds (Sky Arts)

9pm Glor Tire – Rogha Agus Togha (TG4)
    Featuring Robert Mizzel, Louise Morrissey, Shawn Cuddy, the Conquerors, Mike Denver, John McNicholl, John Hogan and Patrick Feeney

9.30pm Tradfest TG4 (TG4)
    Doireann Ní Ghlacáin meets with well-established Scottish band Blazin' Fiddles who play upbeat regional music from the Scottish Highlands and islands. Plus, music from Pierre Bensusan, Aoife Scott and Andy Meany, and Aidan Connolly

Friday
    4pm Music Icons – Red Hot Chilli Peppers (Sky Arts)
    4.30pm Music Icons – American AOR (Boston, REO Speedwagon, Styx)

6.10pm Pete Tong (BBC Red Button, repeated on loop)
    New dance tracks and interviews with DJs. Pete Tong is 60 years old.

7pm Breezin’ – The George Benson Story (Sky Arts)

7.30pm Sounds Of The Sixties (BBC4)
    With the Who, the Kinks, the Small Faces, the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band and the Jimi Hendrix Experience

8pm Big Hits Top Of The Pops 1964-1975 (BBC4)
    Includes the Rolling Stones, Tom Jones, Status Quo, Procol Harum, Stevie Wonder, Queen, the Kinks, Stealers Wheel, Julie Driscoll, Peter Sarstedt and the Seekers

8pm Elvis – The Final Hours (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the highs and lows of Elvis Presley's life up to his ‘death’, as told by a small group of the singer's closest friends and confidants

8pm The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo (BBC1)
    Repeat of the 2018 event, as it has been cancelled this year

8pm BBC Proms 2020 (BBC2)
    Katie Derham presents the First Night of the live classical music festival, with a feast of performances including Beethoven's Third Symphony, Aaron Copland's Quiet City, and a new work by young British composer Hannah Kendall

8.30pm Fleadh Cheoil (RTE1)
    featuring music from Kevin Burke, Moya Brennan, Cormac de Barra, John McCartin, Dylan Carlos and Céin Sweeney

9pm Concert4Cancer (VM1) New!
    A performance in support of the Marie Keating Foundation's cancer information, support and survivorship services, featuring Ronan Keating, Gary Barlow, Nathan Carter and Lisa Lambe
    https://www.mariekeating.ie/concert4cancer/

9pm Queen – From Rags To Rhapsody (Sky Arts)
    Documentary recalling the rock band's early years, spent struggling gigging at pubs and colleges, and following their progress up to the moment they released Bohemian Rhapsody

9.30pm & 2am Peter Green – Man Of The World (BBC4)
    The story of the blues performer, who found fame in the 1960s as lead guitarist with Fleetwood Mac, but left the public stage for years as he battled drug addiction and mental illness. Featuring archive footage and interviews with Noel Gallagher, Carlos Santana, Green's former bandmates and the musician himself
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=308044443680865

10.15pm Queen Rock Montreal (Sky Arts)
    1981 gig

11pm Fleetwood Mac – Don’t Stop (BBC4)
    Documentary looking back over the band's long career, from the early blues outfit led by Peter Green in the late 1960s, to their reincarnation in the 1970s with the line-up that went on to record the 40-million-selling album Rumours. Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks reveal the truth behind the successes, failures and relationships that characterised their music and made them one of the most enduring acts in popular music. Not on Youtube, but might be elsewhere if you google it

11.55pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    From Cardigan, featuring performances from Celeste, Lankum, Carwyn Ellis and Gwenno

Midnight Foo Fighters At Reading 2019 (BBC4)
    Full two hour set from Reading.
    https://www.nme.com/reviews/foo-fighters-prove-that-the-fourth-times-the-trick-as-they-deliver-their-loud-love-letter-to-reading-2541968

12.15am Manson – Music From An Unsound Mind (Sky Arts)
    Tom O'Dell explores how Charles Manson's obsession with becoming a rock star and his time in the Los Angeles music scene led to his descent into violence and murder

2.30am Prince - Sign O The Times (Sky Arts)
    Concert film by the musician featuring highlights from gigs in Rotterdam and Antwerp on his 1987 European tour, as well as footage shot at his Paisley Park studio in Minnesota. Including performances of Sign o' the Times, I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man and If I Was Your Girlfriend, and the promo video for U Got the Look, featuring Sheena Easton

Saturday
    3pm James Taylor – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

4.15pm Troubadors – The Rise Of The Singer Songwriters (Sky Arts)
    Carole King and James Taylor recall the beginnings of their artistic partnership at the Troubadour club in West Hollywood, and reflect on how the scene that grew up around the venue changed pop music. Featuring contributions by Elton John, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, Kris Kristofferson, David Crosby, Roger McGuinn, Cheech & Chong, Steve Martin, JD Souther and Peter Asher

6pm The Beatles – From Liverpool To San Francisco (Sky Arts)
    Harmless documentary following the band's early career and subsequent rise to fame, discovering how they conquered the charts and won millions of fans around the world

7pm The Beatles – Hippies and Hells Angels (Sky Arts)
    The story of The Beatles Apple Corp which was a bit of a farce and led to them being ripped off by all sorts of hangers on. But they could well afford it.

7pm You’ve Got A Friend – The Carole King Story (Yesterday)
    Carole gives an account of her life, looking back on her upbringing in Brooklyn and her huge success as a singer songwriter

8pm Opry An Iuir (TG4)
    featuring Louise Morrisssey, Frank McCaffrey, Paddy O'Brien and Mary Duff

8.15pm Shine (RTE1) New!
    An hour of music filmed in the Iveagh Gardens, the National Concert Hall and at RTÉ, featuring Dermot Kennedy, Denise Chaila, Villagers, the RTÉ Concert Orchestra, Pillow Queens, Celine Byrne and Emer Barry, Booka Brass and Niamh Farrell, Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh and Loah. Threaded throughout are spoken words and poetry from John Boyne, Jane Clarke and others
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0819/1160125-rte-brings-artists-together-for-shine-concert/

9pm Quadrophenia – Our Generation (Sky Arts)
    Celebrity fans and cast members come together to shed light on the making of Quadrophenia and explore the legacy that the cult film has left behind, 40 years after its release

10pm Quadrophenia Reunited 40 years On (Sky Arts)
    Lauren Laverne hosts a one-off special bringing the stars of Quadrophenia together. Featuring reminiscing, interviews, a table-read of the script and plenty of other surprises. Seems similar to the previous show

9.45pm When Bob Marley Came to Britain (BBC2) New!
    Documentary examining the reggae superstar's relationship with the UK, and how his universal message of One Love and unity helped inspire a generation of young black British people. The film also takes a revealing look at how Marley spent his time while he was in Britain - the houses he lived in, football kickabouts in Battersea Park, and visits to the UK's growing Rastafarian community, including secret gigs in the north of England
    https://www.nme.com/news/a-new-bob-marley-documentary-is-coming-to-bbc2-this-summer-2720616

10.05pm Tommy Fleming – A Journey Home (VM1)

10.45pm Sounds Of The Seventies (BBC2)
    including Bob Marley and the Wailers, Susan Cadogan, the Specials, Ken Boothe, Steel Pulse, Dave & Ansell Collins, Althea & Donna and Janet Kay

11.25pm Sharon Shannon Live At De Barra’s (RTE1) New!
    Accordionist Sharon Shannon celebrates 30 years in music with an acoustic evening at De Barra's, Clonakilty, a venue she has been frequenting since the beginning of her career

11.30pm The Who Live At Kilburn 1977 (Sky Arts)

12.50am Tradfest TG4 (TG4)

1am Big Hits Top Of The Pops 1964-1975 (BBC4)

1am The Jam Live At Rockpalast 1980 (Sky Arts)
    Someone has most/all of this on a Youtube playlist

2am Autopsy – Dennis Wilson (The Beach Boys Drummer) (VM2)

2.30am Manson - Music From An Unsound Mind (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    2.15pm David Brophy’s Choir Of Ages (RTE1)
    Ep 1 of 3 The choirmaster brings together pensioners and young children for a singing group, aiming to prove that opposite generations can unite through the power of music

3pm Nat King Cole – Afraid Of The Dark (Sky Arts)
    Doc

5pm BB King - The Life Of Riley (Sky Arts)
    The American blues singer-songwriter recounts his story of a rise to prominence in the music industry, earning him the title 'King of the Blues'. Featuring contributions by a range of fellow musicians including Eric Clapton, Bono, George Benson and Mick Hucknall. Narrated by Morgan Freeman

6.50pm Coldplay Live In Sao Paolo (Sky Arts)

8pm Port (TG4)
    Music from Brittany

8pm BBC Proms 2020 – Elgar And Vaughan Williams (BBC4)

9.30pm Fleadh Cheoil (TG4)
    1997, when it was in Ballina

10pm Van Morrison - Up On Cyprus Avenue (BBC4, also on BBC1 NI at 10.30pm)
    Highlights of Van Morrison's unique live performance recorded on his 70th birthday in August 2015, on the Belfast avenue he made famous through the iconic album Astral Weeks

10.30pm Geantrai (TG4)
    From Tigh Ruairí on Inis Oírr, featuring music from singer Threasa Ní Mhiolláin and Lasairfhíona Ní Chonaola, Sheila Garry, Gary Shannon, Tim Collins, Pádraig Ó Domhnaill, Mick Kenny and Kevin Hough

10.15pm Music Videos That Defined The 90s (Sky Arts)

11pm Van Morrison At The BBC (BBC4)
    A vintage compilation of the multi-talented Northern Irish musician's most memorable studio performances

11pm Marvin Gaye – Greatest Hits Live (TG4)
    From Amsterdam's Jaap Edenhal in 1976

11.15pm Bee Gees – One Night Only (Sky Arts)

11.30pm Tommy Fleming: A Journey Home (VM1)

Midnight When Bob Marley Came To Britain (BBC4)

Midnight Share The Stage (Channel 4)
    Filmed at London's historic Abbey Road Studios and hosted by Fearne Cotton, Share the Stage sees major headline acts come together to support emerging artists who have lost their summer of live events during lockdown. Featuring nique cover versions from A-list artists such as Bastille, Kaiser Chiefs, Lewis Capaldi and Mabel

1am Classic Albums: The Wailers – Catch A Fire (BBC4)

1.30am Discovering Music – Bee Gees (Sky Arts)

So there you are, decent enough line up I think. If you have seen anything else of interest do let us know

Newstalk had a Doc last weekend about 'Dublin's first ever Rock Festival', which was Thin Lizzy's Dalymount Park gig in 1977
    You can podcast it here https://www.newstalk.com/documentary-and-drama-on-newstalk/dancing-in-the-floodlights-1063280

0001-1024x576.jpg

There's a link to a 1995 Phil Lynott RTE Doc http://recordroll.blogspot.com/2012/01/rte-1995-phil-lynott-documentary.html

And finally, the Best Brian Eno cameo playing a Priest in a Channel 4 Sitcom about Priests Of The Week might be this one (More4, Saturday 11.35pm)

https://fatherted.fandom.com/wiki/Brian_Eno

https://www.chortle.co.uk/features/2020/04/21/45930/o_fathers,_where_art_thou

• Advertisement

Excellent work as usual Skid...gold star. :)

Tis the Bank Holiday Weekend over here, so I’ll be having a few jars with Van on Sunday night.

Not actually with Van himself, he’s known to be a bit of a grump. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Excellent work as usual Skid...gold star. :)

Tis the Bank Holiday Weekend over here, so I’ll be having a few jars with Van on Sunday night.

Not actually with Van himself, he’s known to be a bit of a grump. :)

You can always hire a white van and have a few jars in the back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Skid X wrote: »
    Van Morrison's Birthday is celebrated with the shows which were shown on his last significant Birthday

He's not doing himself any favours with his recent pseudoscience commentary. Hotpress are also doing tributes for his 75th with various Irish artists covering his work but he's in the bold corner for me at the moment.
    There's a link to a 1995 Phil Lynott RTE Doc

There is another being released soon by the very well respected director Emer Reynolds who won acclaim for The Farthest documentary about Voyager One.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Not sure if this has been posted here before The Beat Club YT channel is an absolute treasure trove of late 60's early 70's performances from the obscure to the usual big names from quite a few different genres. Content is updated almost daily.

https://www.youtube.com/c/beatclub/videos

Never heard of these before but why the hell weren't these bigger.....erm, Fanny :D Outstanding band. Song kicks in at 1:39

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Username checks out.

• Advertisement

Not sure if this has been posted here before The Beat Club YT channel is an absolute treasure trove of late 60's early 70's performances from the obscure to the usual big names from quite a few different genres.

That turned up a few years ago for me - yep it's decent. I adore early 1970's rock/funk/soul.

I posted this in the Cool Pics & Videos section over the weekend but will probably be appreciated here also. Interesting character and story and amazing music.

dasdog wrote: »
    I posted this in the Cool Pics & Videos section over the weekend but will probably be appreciated here also. Interesting character and story and amazing music.

That performance is quite something. Never heard of that guy. Thats another rabbit hole to jump into! :)

That performance is quite something. Never heard of that guy. Thats another rabbit hole to jump into! :)

Probably only known to his friends and associates. He made spot number two in the top 70 greatest Irish albums as per the staff of Tower Records which someone on the thread was kind enough to put together.

Mellow Candle's album from 1968 made 5th spot. I'd no idea there was any sort of rock music in Ireland before Lizzy.

Probably only known to his friends and associates. He made spot number two in the top 70 greatest Irish albums as per the staff of Tower Records which someone on the thread was kind enough to put together.

Mellow Candle's album from 1968 made 5th spot. I'd no idea there was any sort of rock music in Ireland before Lizzy.

Man this stuff is brilliant! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

That turned up a few years ago for me - yep it's decent. I adore early 1970's rock/funk/soul.

I see where Ross got his inspiration from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I posted this in the Cool Pics & Videos section over the weekend but will probably be appreciated here also. Interesting character and story and amazing music.]

Mike Murphy absolutely SH1TTING himself

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

8pm Elvis – The Final Hours (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the highs and lows of Elvis Presley's life up to his ‘death’

I see what you did there :)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I see what you did there :)

I believe in Rock and Roll and Kit-Kat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I believe in Rock and Roll and Kit-Kat ;)

The rock n roll lovin aliens still have him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement

While I respect what Fleetwood Mac manage to become - and Lindsey Buckingham is a really good musician and Stevie Nicks an great vocalist and writer - it just doesn't do it for me.

I'd love to hear the Peter Green Munich tapes though. Whenever I was on acid playing guitar thinking it was amazing the listen back the next day was generally far from it.

The cast of ‘Quadrophenia’ going through the script on Sky Arts.

Just waiting for Phil Daniels to shout ‘Parklife’! :D

Reggae on BBC2 right now!

‘Double Barrel’ by Dave and Ansel Collins - absolute classic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Great stuff on BBC 4 now. It's been a while since I've listened to Marley or any reggae. Just a pity I don't have any Jamaican cigarettes for old times sake when I was quite in to reggae 😂😟
    Edit, it's on BBC 2 of course

Althea And Donna, Up Town Top Ranking. A classic. Always reminds me of summer

Uh-oh...Janet Kay!

*removes all glassware from the room*

Uh-oh...Janet Kay!

*removes all glassware from the room*

Haha!

Yes! Linton Kwesi Johnson (far too short) straight in to The Specials, brilliant stuff

Linton Kwesi Johnson made some amazing poetry/music.

• Advertisement

Sharon Shannon live at De Barras on RTE One right now.

Great venue, spent many a drunken evening there. :o

Advertisement