Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yes! Linton Kwesi Johnson (far too short) straight in to The Specials, brilliant stuff

Gots some Specials on the old vinyl the other day.

In the spirit of blame culture, I'm cross with everyone for not telling me how much I loved them, when I hadn't realised it myself yet.

Thanks, y'all.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Van Morrison night begins on BBC Four!

The greatest white R’N’B singer ever :)

Gold mic stand!

Nice. :cool:

Cerys Matthews in the front row!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some crackers on BBC 2 at the moment

• Advertisement

A rather, ahem, ‘cheeky’ performance from The Fall :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Just tuning in to this now, on BBC iPlayer from the start. Should be some belters on this. A lot of brilliant stuff came out of Manchester

A rather, ahem, ‘cheeky’ performance from The Fall :eek: :D

Haha, I know the one you're on about :D fast forwarding towards present time
    Edit, stopping off at the Buzzcocks, brill

Magazine, Shot by Both Sides, greatness. I also have a vaguely similar haircut to Devoto right now after chopping it myself, Covid cut 😂😂

VOODOO RAY!!

:):):)

• Advertisement

I'm on Blue Monday, not as bad as I remembered their bloody minded instance on doing it live, aand now I'm at The Fall. Christ I love them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

James "Sit Down" - the sort of huge hit Something Happens probably wished they had written.

Volume down to zero for the first time for M People.

I still miss Fall gigs and Mark E Smith looking down at me with utter disdain :D

Fast forwarded through Simply Red. Stone Roses. Sublime

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Irish hip hop.

Three words that instill fear like few others.

Look away now, my friend... :D

https://www.buzz.ie/amp/music/origins-story-irish-hip-hop-on-rte-one-thursday-386227

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hi, yes it's Irish Hip Hop comin atcha' on RTE1 this week. Red Bull appear to be involved which would make you wonder but there you are.

BBC4 has a new series on Soul Music which looks like it would have been done to death a million times but apparently it's new. Speaking of death, Virgin Media have more autopsies than you could shake a stiff at and Sky Arts looks at how Sam Cooke met his end ...

Thursday
    8pm BBC Proms 2020
    Baroque music
    God gave Baroque and Roll to you

10.15pm Origins - The Story Of Irish Hip Hop (RTE1) New!
    A 40-year chronology of the music genre, journeying from the pioneering Scary Éire of the late-1980s all the way to the present day, as the country experiences an explosion of incredible hip-hop talent. Artists featured include Denise Chalia, DJ Flip, Frankie Grimes, God Knows, Jafaris, Kneecap, Kojaque, Lethal Dialect, Maverick Saber, Ophelia, Strange Boy, Blindboy and Yamma Yamma
    This will also be available to stream on RedBull.com from Friday September 11
    https://www.goldenplec.com/origins-the-story-of-irish-hip-hop-coming-to-rte-one/

11.15pm Frank Sinatra Live From Madison Square Garden (Sky Arts)
    1974 TV Special

12.15am Troubadors – The Rise Of The Singer Songwriter (Sky Arts)
    Carole King and James Taylor recall the beginning of their partnership and the music scene of Los Angeles in the 1970s

Friday
    7pm TOTP – Big Hits 1977 (BBC4)
    Includes Heatwave's Boogie Nights and the Stranglers' No More Heroes, Baccara with Yes Sir, I Can Boogie and Angelo by Brotherhood of Man. Also David Bowie, Rod Stewart, Queen and Elvis Costello, and this showcase also features a rare studio performances from Bob Marley and the Wailers, and the Jacksons. Still no sign of the proper Poppage repeats

7pm Discovering Music - Johnny Cash (Sky Arts)

8pm Life And Death Of Sam Cooke (Sky Arts)
    A look at the circumstances surrounding the violent death of the American soul singer, including theories that it was self-defence, or a robbery that spiralled out of control

8pm BBC Proms 2020 - Anoushka Shankar (BBC4)
    An evening in tribute to Ravi Shankar. Anoushka is his daughter

8.30pm Fleadh Cheoil (RTE1)
    With the Mulcahy family, Éamonn Coyne and friends and Conor Connolly and Macdara Ó Faoláin

9.30pm & 2.25am - Soul America (BBC4) New!
    Ep 1 of 3 Amazing Grace Slavery once drove the economy of the American South and when it was finally abolished in 1863, its gospel tradition lived on. As the black American church grew in strength and popularity, so did its singers. A network of performers emerged known as the gospel highway and in the 1950s, soul music's first generation of stars emerged. The genre delivered an assertive, integrated vision of black America during the Civil Rights era of the early '60s, presided over by the likes of Otis Redding and Aretha Franklin. Narrated by Carleen Anderson
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2020/35/soul-america-amazing-grace

10pm ZZ Top – That Little Ol’ Band From Texas (Sky Arts)
    The life and career of the blues rock band, featuring interviews with Billy Gibbons, Frank Beard and Dusty Hill, archive footage and tales from fans and friends

10.30pm Kings Of Soul (BBC4)
    Documentary celebrating the male artists whose vocal stylings have played an instrumental role in the soul genre from the 60s to the 00s. Featuring footage of Brenton Wood performing Gimme Little Sign and Curtis Mayfield singing Keep On Keeping On, as well as appearances by Billy Preston, Bill Withers, Billy Ocean, Alexander O'Neal, Bobby Womack and Barry White

11.25pm Smokey Robinson At The Electric Proms 2009 (BBC4)
    Trevor Nelson and Edith Bowman introduce a 2009 concert from London's Roundhouse celebrating the 50th anniversary of Motown Records

11.30pm MTV VMA Awards 2020 (MTV One)
    Featuring performances by Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, BTS, The Weeknd and other people

11.45pm Shine (RTE1)
    A repeat of the charity concert from last week. No, I didn’t watch it either

Midnight Chuck Berry – The King Of Rock And Roll (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about the legendary musician, who died in 2017 at the age of 90. Contributors include Keith Richards, Steven Van Zandt, Joe Perry, Nils Lofgren and Alice Cooper

12.20am Other Voices (RTE2)
    Elbow return to the show with a range of old and new material, while up-and-coming Irish stars Denise Chaila and JyellowL play high-octane sets. Plus, the UK three-piece Skinny Living perform an array of captivating Indie rock songs

1.25am Gregory Porter’s Popular Voices (BBC4)
    Ep 1 of 3 The Grammy award-winning soul and jazz star examines the sound and work of his favourite vocal showstoppers, starting with the world's first pop star, the Italian tenor Enrico Caruso. He moves on to admire the genius of Ella Fitzgerald, the soul of Mahalia Jackson, the power and stagecraft of Freddie Mercury, the artistry and extravagance of Prince, and the modern melisma of Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey. Contributors include Dave Grohl, Beck, Adam Lambert, George Benson, Stephen Costello, Wendy Melvoin and Lisa Coleman

Saturday
    6pm Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)

6.45pm-9pm Classic Artists – Jethro Tull (Sky Arts)
    The story of the classic rock band from Luton, Jethro Tull, responsible for such renowned hits as Aqualung, Living in the Past, and Thick As a Brick

7pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)

7pm I Am Johnny Cash (Sky Documentaries)
    A celebration of the country singer-songwriter built around 12 of his classic tracks spanning four decades, and featuring interviews with his family and friends. Featuring contributions from Sheryl Crow, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp and Kid Rock

8pm Opry An Iuir (TG4)

9pm Metallica: S&M2 (Sky Arts)
    Concert footage from two performances by the American rock band and the San Francisco Symphony at Chase Centre in September 2019

10.50pm Cobain – Montage Of Heck (Sky Documentaries)
    Filmmaker Brett Morgen explores the Nirvana frontman's childhood, career and tragic death, using material from the Cobains' personal archives

11pm Lynyrd Skynyrd (Sky Arts)
    The history of the American rock band, who came to define an era with their sound, their drunken and dangerous antics and their controversial use of the rebel flag

1am Big Hits – TOTP 1977 (BBC4)

1.15am ZZ Top – That Little Ol’ Band From Texas (Sky Arts)

1.35am Autopsy – John Denver (VM3)

2.10am Ariana Grande Live In London (RTE1)

Sunday
    6.40pm Hup (TG4)
    Music from the John Dwyer Trad Weekend in Co Waterford

7pm Willie Nelson & Friends – Outlaws & Angels (Sky Arts)
    Artists including Bob Dylan, Carole King, Al Green, Keith Richards, Jerry Lee Lewis, Toby Keith, Ben Harper and Kid Rock celebrate the country music star's career

8pm BBC Proms 2020 – Laura Marling (BBC4)
    Mercury Prize-nominated artist Laura Marling teams up with the pioneering strings-based collective the 12 Ensemble for a retrospective journey through her back catalogue. BBC4 has a load of opera stuff on from 10pm which I can’t be bothered to list

9pm Don Henley – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)
    featuring duets with Trisha Yearwood and Martina McBride

9.30pm Fleadh Cheoil 1998 (TG4)

10.15pm The Doobie Brothers – Let The Music Play (Sky Arts)
    The story of the American group, from their beginnings as a biker band in California in 1970 through to their sustained success, break-ups, reunions and multi-platinum albums

10.30pm Geantrai (TG4)
    Featuring music from Liam Clancy, Ann Mulqueen and her two daughters, Aidan Coffey and Seamús Creagh.

11pm Phil Coulter – Mo Shaol (TG4)
    the life and career of the prolific songwriter, producer and performer Phil Coulter, who has been a major figure in the music scene over the past five decades, writing songs for the likes of Elvis Presley, Bay City Rollers and Cilla Black

12.10am Whelan’s @ 25 (TG4)
    concert recorded at Whelan's, celebrating the Dublin music venue. Featuring performances by the Riptide Movement, Cathy Davey, Javin James, Paddy Casey, the Tri-Tones. From 2014.

2am Autopsy – Prince (VM3)

That's more or less that, all additional news and corrections to the above it always welcom

The Bob Marley artwork reminded me that the bohemians football strip has a Rastafarian featured on it because of bobs gig in dalymount in the 80s.

I’d be interested to know if any other music related items have made their way onto sports apparel.

One that springs to mind is that super furry animals sponsored a welsh team in the 90s

The Knowledge in The Guardian has an article on that very subject this week

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/02/enter-shikari-and-big-bands-sponsoring-small-football-teams

Recent article about The Blues Brothers from the same site, a film currently showing on Netflix but which will hopefully return to the usual channels soon

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/aug/03/how-we-made-the-blues-brothers-dan-aykroyd-john-landis-interview

Some blurb from Sky Arts about their coming attractions here, not much to get excited about maybe but they have plenty of repeats to show (free to air from September 17) https://www.skygroup.sky/en-gb/article/art-for-everyone---sky-arts-to-become-a-free-to-air-channel

And finally the Best David Bowie judging of a Model Walk Off Thing Of The Week might be this one in Zoolander (Comedy Central Saturday 10pm)

Lovely work, Skid.

I have to say, there are quite a few bits on there that tickled my fancy.

That soul yokey for one. Why is there nowt on BBC4 in Sat night? Is it more of those fun and uplifting scandinavian murder yokes?

I did watch that Shine thing last week. It was nice in the sense that it wasn't full of the usual eejitry and pretend music we can get on those kind of yokes. But a bit poetry heavy for me. (Frankly, even the words "roses are red" is a bit poetry heavy for me).

Hip hop in Ireland sounds about as appealing as some actual red bull. There is something strange about that, though. Why is a gross sugar drink making a programme about all of our many, many hip hop acts? Spiral from Big Brother and, oh, I don't even need to mention the others, you all know them so well. Wouldn't even know where to start.

I'll go against the grain here and say Irish Hip Hop has come on leaps and bounds in recent years. I'm not a huge fan of the format but like a lot of people of my vintage and various sub-genre backgrounds Public Enemy/Ice-T/NWA would have been respected and Scary Eire on the bill of the Zoo TV tour didn't sound bad.

Fast forward to 2010 and I saw a few battle rap videos floating around and you could see there was a scene developing and it seems it has only grown since then.

Redzer will be watching with interest :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

Van Morrison night begins on BBC Four!

The greatest white R’N’B singer ever :)

I'll have to disagree there. Can't stand his voice, and he can't sing at all now. Himself and Dylan are the two worst "singers" ever to achieve that level of fame. Granted, Brown Eyed Girl is a fine song, Moondance not bad either, but apart from that, thanks, but no thanks Van.

Serious lack of good music telly recently from my point of view. I enjoyed the recent Go Go''s documentary, which Sky are repeating now, but apart from that it's been slim pickings.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, on Friday...

"Speaking on his RTÉ Radio 1 show on Tuesday, the presenter teased that the Late Late will welcome "a certain musical guest, among other things"."

So, we can take it that there's some Nathan Carter on RTE1, if anyone's interested.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

trashcan wrote: »
    I'll have to disagree there. Can't stand his voice, and he can't sing at all now. Himself and Dylan are the two worst "singers" ever to achieve that level of fame. Granted, Brown Eyed Girl is a fine song, Moondance not bad either, but apart from that, thanks, but no thanks Van.

I never got into Van either. Don't mind an odd song now and again.

In 1997? I travelled to Millstreet to a festival. Bob Dylan had "become unwell" and Shane MacGowan and the popes got the gig at short notice. While rambling the backstage/dressing room area I noticed a sign on a door. It read.

"Saw Doctors Dressing room.

All welcome.

Except Van Morrisson."

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Meanwhile, on Friday...

"Speaking on his RTÉ Radio 1 show on Tuesday, the presenter teased that the Late Late will welcome "a certain musical guest, among other things"."

So, we can take it that there's some Nathan Carter on RTE1, if anyone's interested.

Anyone?

The Electric Picnic devotees are going through enough this week - I have sympathy but switched off gig going in March*

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114493445&postcount=334

*After seeing James Taylor Quartet a few days before the initial lock-down

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

trashcan wrote: »

They're two of his most bog standard songs. Throwaway soul pop.

Dig a little deeper. Hes one of the greats.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Haha, I know the one you're on about :D fast forwarding towards present time
    Edit, stopping off at the Buzzcocks, brill

On a f**king Tuesday night :rolleyes: :mad:

Any chance of a repeat?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

The Nal wrote: »
    They're two of his most bog standard songs. Throwaway soul pop.

Dig a little deeper. Hes one of the greats.

Nah, sorry. Just can't. That voice. Ugh. Can't get past it.

Skid X wrote: »
    9.30pm & 2.25am - Soul America (BBC4) New!

I was really getting settled in to this when the credits rolled. Aretha was so incredible even from her mid teens - stern and ultra confident.

dasdog wrote: »
    I was really getting settled in to this when the credits rolled. Aretha was so incredible even from her mid teens - stern and ultra confident.

I enjoyed that production, they mostly let the interviewees tell the stories and kept the commentary to a minimum.

Nicely paced, good use of archive footage.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

On a f**king Tuesday night :rolleyes: :mad:

Any chance of a repeat?

Turns out the mrs recorded it :):):)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

Hello, if you like repeats there is lots to choose from this week. The new show is Hendrix and The Spook on Sky Arts which says he might have been killed by a spy. BBC4 continues with Soul America and The Proms is over at last ...

Thursday
    12pm Rod Stewart Live At Hyde Park London (BBC Red Button, on loop for ages)

8pm BBC Proms 2020 -Beethoven’s Seventh (BBC4)

10.50pm Mr Dynamite – The Rise Of James Brown (Sky Documentaries)
    The career of the singer, musician and producer, charting his journey from his first hit Please, Please, Please in 1956 through his pioneering funk phase to later chart success

Friday
    6pm Pet Shop Boys Live In Hyde Park (BBC Red Button on loop)

7pm Rudeboy – The Story Of Trojan Records (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the origins and impact of the Jamaican label, which provided the musical soundtrack that inspired and influenced a new generation of British youth

7pm & 2.50am Young, Gifted And Classical – The Making Of A Maestro (BBC4)
    Documentary about cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason, the first black performer to be named BBC Young Musician of the Year

8pm BBC Proms 2020 - Sheku and Isata Kanneh-Mason (BBC4)
    If you are a fan of Sheku Kanneh-Mason, BBC4 is the place to be tonight
    Still no sign of TOTP

8pm Fleadh Cheoil (RTE1)
    Traditional music performance by duo Timmy Doyle and Fiona Nic Conmara, with presenter Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh joining in, playing with Séamus Begley and friends. The series ends with the Senior All Ireland Céile Band Champions, Cnoc na Gaoithe céile band

9pm The Cavern Club – The Beat Goes On (Sky Arts)
    Documentary reflecting on the history of the Liverpool venue - a favourite haunt of the Beatles. https://www.cavernclub.com/blog-post/the-cavern-club-the-beat-goes-on/

9.30pm & 1.20am Soul America (BBC4)
    Part 2 : Say It Loud. Memories of the late '60s and early '70s, a period when inequality, poverty and racism fanned the flames of radical black politics and resulted in a harder soul sound. Stax Records went from being a label built around an integrated house band to becoming a black-centric business spearheaded by Isaac Hayes' expansive, flamboyant soul symphonies. Meanwhile, the Temptations tackled socially aware subjects like the Detroit riot and absent fathers, while Marvin Gaye conceived the epic What's Going On. Narrated by Carleen Anderson, with contributions from Mavis Staples, David Porter, Al Bell, Otis Williams, Barrett Strong and Fred Wesley

10.30pm Motown At The BBC (BBC4)
    A compilation of studio performances by some of Motown's greatest artists, originally broadcast to mark the record label's 50th anniversary. Featuring Diana Ross and the Supremes, the Temptations, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, the Jackson Five, the Four Tops and Stevie Wonder

10.30pm Beatles Stories (Sky Arts)
    Those who knew or brushed shoulders with the Beatles reveal their personal encounters with the Fab Four in Seth Swirsky's documentary. Fans reveal how they found themselves playing Monopoly with George Harrison, eating beans on toast with Ringo Starr, drinking rum with John Lennon and performing with a Beatles tribute band in front of producer George Martin

11.20pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Musical performances from Leixlip, featuring Talos, Le Boom, Sorcha Richardson, All Tvvins, Pillow Queens and Otherkin

11.30pm BBC Proms 2017 – Stax … with Jools Holland (BBC4)
    At London's Royal Albert Hall, Jools Holland pays tribute to Stax Records, alongside original stars Eddie Floyd, Sam Moore, William Bell, Booker T Jones and Steve Cropper, plus UK artists including Tom Jones, James Morrison, Beverley Knight, Nadia Rose and Sweetie Irie, and Ruby Turner. Founded in 1957, the Memphis-based company was synonymous with Southern Soul, a distinctive blend of funk, gospel and R'n'B, producing soul artists such as Otis Redding, Carla Thomas, and Sam and Dave. Music includes Green Onions, Knock on Wood, Soul Man and Try a Little Tenderness

12.20am Julian Lennon – Through The Picture Window (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the career of the singer-songwriter, who emerged from the formidable shadow cast by his father John to become a Grammy-nominated artist

12.50am Gregory Porter’s Popular Voices (BBC4)
    Ep 2 Gregory explores the soft, intimate art of crooning, from it’s beginnings with Bing Crosby and that lot to apparently Bowie and Roy Orbison. Contributors include Iggy Pop, Joshua Homme, George Benson and Beck

1.10am Bruce Springsteen – In His Own Words (RTE2)
    Bruce looks back and muses upon his life and career. His reflection is coupled with snippets of live performance, all joining together to form the narrative, in his own words

1.35am Cobain – Montage Of Heck (Sky Documentaries)
    Another chance to see the very good Kurt Doc

2am Metallica S&M2 (Sky Arts)
    Concert footage from two performances by the American rock band and the San Francisco Symphony at Chase Centre in September 2019

Saturday
    2.55pm Film: Sunshine On Leith (Film4)
    The Proclaimers Musical

6.15pm Joe Cocker – Mad Dog With Soul (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the rise of the singer, a gas fitter playing in Sheffield pubs who was catapulted to stardom following a spectacular appearance at Woodstock in 1969

7pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)

8pm The Stones In The Park (Sky Arts)
    1969 Rolling Stones Hyde Park Gig

8pm Last Night Of The Proms (BBC1)

9pm Hendrix And The Spook (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary examining the circumstances surrounding guitarist Jimi Hendrix's death in 1970, revealing new evidenc suggesting he may have been murdered by a spy
    https://www.starcontent.tv/copy-of-jimi-hendrix-the-spook-1-x

10.30pm Adele In Her Own Words (Channel 5)
    Two hours of old school friends and people she worked with talking about Adele

11pm Classic Artists – Jimi Hendrix (Sky Arts)

11.35pm Top Of The Pops 1980 – Big Hits (BBC2)
    A selection of performances from the show in the first year of the 1980s, when the rise of a new generation of pop stars signalled a new era for Top of the Pops and for British society. Featuring My Girl by Madness, Brass in Pocket by Pretenders and Geno by Dexys Midnight Runners, as well as appearances by Adam Ant, Spandau Ballet, the Piranhas, Hot Chocolate, OMD, Motorhead and the Beat

12.25am Carpenters Greatest Hits (Channel 5)

1am Kate Bush At The BBC (BBC4)
    A compilation of the singer's performances at the BBC's studios between 1978 and 1994. Bush appeared on a variety of programmes, including Top of the Pops, Wogan, Ask Aspel, Saturday Night at the Mill and the Leo Sayer Show. Featuring the hits Wuthering Heights, Babooshka, Running Up That Hill and Hounds of Love, as well as intriguing and lesser-known material

1am Pink Floyd - The Story Of Wish You Were Here (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story behind the making of Pink Floyd's landmark 1975 album Wish You Were Here, featuring interviews with Roger Waters, David Gilmour and Nick Mason

2.15am Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary Concert (Sky Arts)
    A performance from 1992 celebrating the singer's career, featuring the likes of Stevie Wonder, Lou Reed, Johnny Cash and Eric Clapton performing classic Dylan numbers
    http://www.bobdylan.com/albums/the-30th-anniversary-concert-celebration/

Sunday
    4pm Joan Baez Live In New York (Sky Arts)

5.45pm Glen Campbell – I’ll Be Me (Sky Arts)
    Documentary following the country star and his wife Kim on tour across America, featuring contributions by Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney and Bill Clinton. This is very good, trailer here

6.10pm Hup (TG4)
    Music From Drumshanbo, Eleanor Shanley, Noel and Sean Sweeney on saxophone and guitar, and veteran fiddle player Ben Lennon

7.45pm The Doors: Mr Mojo Risin’ – The Story of LA Woman (Sky Arts)
    Documentary looking of the making of the Doors sixth album, the last to feature original singer Jim Morrison

9pm Foo Fighters – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

9.30pm Fleadh Cheoil (TG4)
    Tonight we’re gonna Fleadh Cheoil like it’s 1999 (in Enniscorthy)

10.15pm The Cavern Club – The Beat Goes On (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

10.50pm Radio 2 Live At Home (BBC2)
    May contain an appearance from Nile Rodgers
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1ZptLNt0XJyP7nv0HS2Rd4h/radio-2-live-at-home-see-the-star-studded-line-up

11pm Muse Live From Bilbao (MTV Music)

11.05pm All Things Must Pass – The Rise And Fall Of Tower Records (Sky Arts)
    Colin Hanks examines the history of the American retail music chain, from its origins in 1960 till its closure in 2006, as well as the legacy forged by its founder Russ Solomon. Still going strong in Dublin’s Dawson Street, beside the Luas stop

11.10pm George Michael – The Price Of Fame (Channel 5)
    Biographical documentary spotlighting the life story of George Michael, one of the best-selling music artists of all time, bringing an intimate perspective to the story of a superstar singer, recounting his rise, fall and later rise again, defying the odds and surprising critics and fans alive

Sky Arts goes Free To Air on Thursday September 17th, you might get tuning details here https://www.lyngsat.com/tvchannels/uk/Sky-Arts.html
    They often mess around with the frequencies so maybe hang on until they flick the switch

If you have Netflix here are a few Doc recommendations from this week https://lovindublin.com/lovin-home-comforts/six-brilliant-music-documentaries-that-are-now-available-on-netflix

The RTE archives site has a decent selection of Rory Gallagher clips https://www.rte.ie/archives/profiles/gallagher-rory/

And finally, the Best chance of hearing Richard Harris sing MacArthur Park of the week might be in the TG4 Doc Fear Darb Aimn Harris (Thursday 9.30pm, it's also on Youtube in full)

It's not in this trailer but there is a story in it where a very unwell Richard Harris is being wheeled out of the Savoy Hotel, in bad shape in a wheelchair ...

... a large crowd gawk at him and he shouts out to them "It's the salmon! Don't have the salmon!"

Advertisement