Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

Julian Lennon doc looks good. He can knock up a tune that sounds uncannily like his old man at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Bruuuuuuce.

That's my jam.

Bruuuuuuuce!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

history has been very kind to john Lennon with his treatment of women and julian being pretty deplorable . looking forward to julians doc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Sky Arts is currently working on Freesat at the details below

It might change frequency or go offline before the official launch on Thursday

https://twitter.com/tvl_now/status/1303694936508903424

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

I'm only catching the latter part of the Trojan Records documentary but I'm sure it will be on again. I only really came to appreciate the 1960's and early 70's original ska music late in the day but some of it really is quality.

One of my vinyl nut friends who was in to it since his teenage years is very proud of the fact he has a copy of every single Trojan released.

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    9.30pm & 1.20am Soul America (BBC4)

Part two seems more politically focused than the first episode which is perfectly understandable. But the music was so great I wish they would focus was on that as much as the historical narritave.

Random side note -
    I chose "What's Going On" as my subject matter to give a presentation in music college that Pete Holidai of the Radiators from Space who was the lecturer asked the class to do. It's still my favourite album 25 years on.

dasdog wrote: »
    I'm only catching the latter part of the Trojan Records documentary but I'm sure it will be on again. I only really came to appreciate the 1960's and early 70's original ska music late in the day but some of it really is quality.

One of my vinyl nut friends who was in to it since his teenage years is very proud of the fact he has a copy of every single Trojan released.

Nice one, it gets a repeat on Sky Arts on Wednesday at 11pm

RIP Toots :(

:(

If you are stuck for something to watch later the low budget Jamaican b-movie 'Rockers' from 1978 is a bit of a gem, has one of the best soundtracks and may require subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Just watched the Julian Lennon documentary that was on Sky Arts last night, featuring Bono talking about singers covering classic songs and murdering them.

I’ll just leave this here...

• Advertisement

A change to the schedule...Toots documentary ‘From The Root’ on Sky Arts right now.

peteeeed wrote: »
    history has been very kind to john Lennon with his treatment of women and julian being pretty deplorable . looking forward to julians doc

Missed it, damn. Any good ? Doesn't seem to be on catch up on Sky Arts either. Maybe it's too early ?

peteeeed wrote: »
    trashcan wrote: »
    Missed it, damn. Any good ? Doesn't seem to be on catch up on Sky Arts either. Maybe it's too early ?

I looked for it on NowTV at the weekend but it wasn't up ... it seems be online there now, might be worth trying the catch up again

dasdog wrote: »
    Part two seems more politically focused than the first episode which is perfectly understandable. But the music was so great I wish they would focus was on that as much as the historical narritave.

Random side note -
    I chose "What's Going On" as my subject matter to give a presentation in music college that Pete Holidai of the Radiators from Space who was the lecturer asked the class to do. It's still my favourite album 25 years on.

Yeah, they tried to cram a lot into that episode. As you say, hard to argue with the political context being spoken about but some of the clips were frustratingly short

Proper jealous about that music college, it sounds good!

Completely off topic here, but it feels like it should be a lot closer to the weekend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Completely off topic here, but it feels like it should be a lot closer to the weekend.

honest-everyday-life-illustrations-chaz-hutton-170-580e0932eeefd__880.jpg

honest-everyday-life-illustrations-chaz-hutton-170-580e0932eeefd__880.jpg

Haha, I love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I said to the missus, earlier, that it felt like a Friday night.

She said, "Nice try.".

Hello, Sky Arts is free (at last) on Freesat and Freeview officially from Thursday, and probably from today and they celebrate with some shows. That's Madness, Dave Grohl and Guy Garvey's Music From D'Telly. BBC4 wraps up Soul America while TG4 gives a repeat to the excellent Alan Lomax Doc -the archivist who travelled Ireland recording folk songs before they disappeared. He did the same in America and several other countries, legend

** What do Keith Richards, Joseph Stalin, Genghis Khan, Chairman Mao and Napoleon Bonaparte have in common? - The answer follows later ...

Thursday
    6pm Classic Albums: Queen – A Night At The Opera (Sky Arts)

9pm-10.30pm Brian Johnson Meets Dave Grohl (Sky Arts) New!
    Two Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees come together as AC/DC singer Brian Johnson chats with Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl about life on the road
    https://www.kerrang.com/the-news/sky-arts-to-air-new-documentary-brian-johnson-meets-dave-grohl/

1am Gregory Porter Live In Berlin 2006 (Sky Arts)

Friday
    5.30pm Elvis ’56 Special (Sky Arts)

6.45pm Beyonce – I Am World Tour (Sky Arts)

7pm & 3am Ultimate Cover Version At The BBC (BBC4)
    Includes the Moody Blues, Soft Cell, Alexandra Burke, Mariah Carey and UB40 and others

8pm Top Of The Pops Big Hits 1978 (BBC4)
    Featuring appearances on the show by Ian Dury, Elvis Costello, Blondie, Bob Marley, the Boomtown Rats, Kate Bush, Sham 69, Brotherhood of Man, Dan Hill, Boney M, 10cc and Manfred Mann's Earth Band

8.30pm Lomax In Eirinn (TG4)
    Alan Lomax had a dream to record and preserve the music of the world. In 1951, he began that mission in Ireland. This programme uncovers the story behind that trip and shows how it resulted in the first LP of Irish music - the album that brought Irish music to the world. Plus, exclusive performances from contemporary artists Steve Earle, Clannad, Slow Moving Clouds, The Tulla Ceilí Band and Nell Ní Chróiní. Presented by Pól Brennan of Clannad fame
    https://www.rte.ie/culture/2018/0905/991745-lomax-in-eirinn-the-ethnomusicologist-who-saved-irish-music/

9pm & 1am Soul America (BBC4)
    Ep 3 of 3 How, in the '70s and '80s, a second coming of soul men appealed to black women. New record label Philadelphia International was born that would also soften soul's hard edges. It was home to Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, saw the emergence of Teddy Pendergrass and incorporated the O'Jays, who embodied a message of love and togetherness. Marvin Gaye went to work on his follow-up to What's Going On, shifting focus from the streets to the bedroom with Let's Get It On. Barry White's deep baritone also put both black and white audiences 'in the mood'. Narrated by Carleen Anderson

9pm Guy Garvey: From The Archives (Sky Arts) New!
    Ep 1 of 5 1979 The Elbow frontman introduces music from the TV archives, starting with 1979 and unseen footage from a Kate Bush concert, and early performances by Dire Straits, the Tourists, Pretenders and the Police. Plus, the TV debuts of the Teardrop Explodes and Echo & the Bunnymen, and Talking Heads' memorable appearance on the South Bank Show
    https://www.music-news.com/news/Underground/134282/Guy-Garvey-From-The-Vaults-on-Sky-Arts

9.45pm Jazz (PBS)
    Ep 1 of 12 Another run for the epic Ken Burns Jazz Doc. Continues nightly https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/jazz

10pm & 2am Classic Soul At The BBC (BBC4)
    Performances from the BBC archive by acclaimed soul singers, including Aretha Franklin, Al Green, Isaac Hayes, Dusty Springfield, Solomon Burke and Percy Sledge

10pm Freddie Mercury – The Great Pretender (Sky Arts)
    Profile of the Queen frontman, featuring archive footage and interviews with bandmates Brian May and Roger Taylor, as well as friends and admirers including Paul Gambaccini, Montserrat Caballe and Matt Lucas

11.20pm Nathan Carter 3Arena Show 2017 (RTE1)

11.45pm Queen Live At Wembley 1986 (Sky Arts)

Midnight Gregory Porter’s Popular Voices (BBC4)
    Truth Tellers The soul and jazz performer examines how early 20th-century blues growlers, such as Bessie Smith, paved the way for the rhyme and flow of hip-hop, how truth became a quest of rock 'n' roll's greatest poets from Woody Guthrie to Gil Scott-Heron, to Lou Reed and Suzanne Vega, and why popular voices including Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Kurt Cobain don't have to be technically perfect to resonate so deeply and stir people's souls. Contributors include Dave Grohl, Suzanne Vega and KRS-One

12.30am Other Voices (RTE2)
    At St James church in Dingle, veteran alternative rock band Editors make their Other Voices debut playing stripped-down versions of songs from across their extensive catalogue. Rapper Jafaris, Australian singer Angie McMahon and vocalist Anna Mieke also perform

1am Hendrix And The Spook (Sky Arts)
    Documentary examining the circumstances surrounding guitarist Jimi Hendrix's death in 1970, revealing new evidence suggesting he may have been murdered by a spy

2.55am Classic Albums: Jimi Hendrix – Electric Ladyland (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    1pm Alicia Keys Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)
    3pm Fairport Convention: Folk Heroes (Sky Arts)
    4.30pm When Patsy Cline Was Crazy (Sky Arts)
    5.30pm Pet Shop Boys Live At The 02 2009 (Sky Arts)
    6.30pm Queen Live At Wembley 1986 (Sky Arts)

7pm Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)

7.45pm The Rolling Stones Live In Hyde Park 2013 (Sky Arts)

8pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)

9pm Madness: Before And After (Sky Arts) New!
    Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of one of the UK’s most successful and popular bands, this intimate portrait of Madness was captured in 2019 as the group play three homecoming shows at Camden’s Roundhouse and a unique show at the Electric Ballroom.

10.30pm One Man’s Madness (Sky Arts) New!
    A lively and invigorating journey through the history of Madness and their saxophonist Lee Thompson, with insight from his fellow bandmates, family and friends
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/18/one-mans-madness-skanking-down-memory-lane

9.35pm Opry Le Daniel (TG4)
    Daniel O'Donnell pays tribute to Glen Campbell in the company of his daughter Ashley Campbell, along with Johnny Brady, Ciarán Rosney and Marc Roberts

10.30pm 13 Moments: Whitney Houston – My Highs And Lows (Channel 5)
    A look at Whitney’s life and the events which led to her unfortunate early death

10.50pm Travis with the BBC Scotland SSO (BBC Scotland)

12.15am Brian Johnson Meets Dave Grohl (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

12.25am Film: Jimi: All Is By My Side (BBC2)
    Biopic of Jimi Hendrix following the events of 1966, when he left New York to spend a year living in London. The relationships he developed over that time would shape his career as a musician, culminating in his famous appearance at the Monterey Pop Festival. Starring Andre Benjamin, Hayley Atwell and Imogen Poots. They don’t have any Hendrix songs, so here is Andre Benjamin playing Jimi Hendrix covering The Beatles who were in their Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band Personas. In The Olympia in Dublin which was pretending to be The Saville Theatre London

12.35am Top Of The Pops Big Hits 1978 (BBC4)
    As Friday

1.45am Guy Garvey: From The Vaults (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

2.45am Dire Straits – Alchemy 1983 (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    3.20pm The Hollies – Look Through Any Window (Sky Arts)
    Profile of the band, including an interview with members Graham Nash, Allan Clarke, Tony Hicks and Bobby Elliott and archive TV performances by the group from 1963 to 1975

5.50pm Classic Albums: Jimi Hendrix – Electric Ladyland (Sky Arts)

9.30pm Fleadh Cheoil (TG4)
    Lets all meet up in the year 2000. In Enniscorthy

10pm Elvis ’68 Comeback Special (Sky Arts)

10.30pm Geantrai (TG4)
    Traditional music show featuring Irish musicians playing in a pub setting from O'Rourkes, Kilburn Park in London

11.15pm Freddie Mercury – The Great Pretender (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

11.30pm The Leitrim Equation (TG4)
    Dónal Lunny teams up with Eleanor Shanley, Vincent Woods and fellow Leitrim musicians to deliver a pulsating evocation of Leitrim in word, song and dance

Midnight Ultimate Cover Versions At The BBC (BBC4)

Midnight Rod Stewart – For One Night Only (VM1)

1am Queen Live At Wembley 1986 (Sky Arts)

2.15am Music Videos That Shaped The 80s (Sky Arts)

... so that's about that. If you see anything else do let us know

A reminder of that Sky Arts frequency (which might change but probably won't) ...

https://twitter.com/tvlive/status/1306305454021148674

Suede have been busy on their Youtube channel, releasing a full length version of their 2010 reunion concert at the Royal Albert Hall and with the full version of their feature length film 'Night Thoughts' coming on Friday (All for charity)
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SuedeVideo/videos

The Most informative discussion on the history of Milwaukee might come from Alice Cooper in Wayne's World (Comedy Central, Sunday 2pm)

... and Keith and the lads would be the guests at former Ireland and Crystal Palace defender Damien Delaney's fantasy dinner party

https://twitter.com/Mr_Considerate/status/1304774105145769988

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sky Arts not showing up on my Freesat EPG yet :(

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

A Hendrix biopic with no Hendrix music? :rolleyes:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Sky Arts must be sponsored by Queen. I mean, don't get me wrong, they're ok, but, every week ? Really ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sky Arts not showing up on my Freesat EPG yet :(
    You can add manually

FTA now and should be on Freesat Channel 147 from Thursday 17th September 2020

https://www.freesat.co.uk/news/features/whats-on-sky-arts

28.5°E Astra 2E Europe Ku 54 12070 H DVB-S MPEG-2 27500

Should show up after the nightly housekeeping reboot...

Edit: Didn't. Had to do a full retune to get it, which is odd on a Freesat box, but it's there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Hopefully they would sort out Sky Arts on Now tv. It is still paywalled. Whereas Sky News which is also FTA isn't

Chic from 1978 on BBC Four right now.

Whatever happened to the guitarist?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Jilted John, I feel like they just pulled 5 random people out of the audience and told make up a song

Chic from 1978 on BBC Four right now.

Whatever happened to the guitarist?

:pac:

Ha, A Mr N. Rodgers was on BBC2 last weekend giving it socks, not sure if that is the same guy

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Jilted John, I feel like they just pulled 5 random people out of the audience and told make up a song

Who later became John Shuttleworth, of course :)

And now ‘What A Waste’ by Ian Dury! Classic :)

• Advertisement

PsychoPete wrote: »

It's a tune that always makes me smile - it's so stupid, especially the bridge, and constantly sounds out of tune.

Advertisement