Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Drugs are responsible for so many excellent tunes in the 70s

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Chic from 1978 on BBC Four right now.

Whatever happened to the guitarist?

:pac:
    The Nile is a river in Egypt

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Great Soul documentary on BBC Four right now.

Hopefully this absolute classic will get an airing... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

My money is on James Brown "Living In America" finishing it off. Yep its a very good three part series. Aretha stole the show in episode one.

Well it didn't - but I wasn't too far wrong from the American glory assimilation end :pac:

One of a couple of gigs from last year I missed was Mavis Staples in the Olympia. Hopefully not the last time we have the opportunity to see such great performers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

dasdog wrote: »
    Well it didn't - but I wasn't too far wrong from the American glory assimilation end :pac:

One of a couple of gigs from last year I missed was Mavis Staples in the Olympia. Hopefully not the last time we have the opportunity to see such great performers.

I hear you, I feel I have realised a bit too late that all these Soul/Motown legends can put on a serious show and should not been missed

Chances will come again.

Skid X wrote: »
    I hear you, I feel I have realised a bit too late that all these Soul/Motown legends can put on a serious show and should not been missed

Chances will come again.

Catch them while you still can. I did go and see Ronnie Spektor in January 2019 in the NCH and I completely love The Ronettes so I can't complain. Plaid in Whelans (electro act) was the other.

Another miss early this year which I had a ticket for was Lankum but it was a Sunday and I was hungover as the walking dead and it was never gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Should show up after the nightly housekeeping reboot...

Edit: Didn't. Had to do a full retune to get it, which is odd on a Freesat box, but it's there now.

The channel probably showed up at 9AM or so, so would have been picked up on the next nightly reboot if I'd had the patience to do nothing. After all, Pick HD which had the free Premier League games appeared on channel 147 without me having to do anything...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Who later became John Shuttleworth, of course :)

And now ‘What A Waste’ by Ian Dury! Classic :)

500 bus stops.

Austin Ambassador Y-reg, Y-reg, Y-reg.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

It's a tune that always makes me smile - it's so stupid, especially the bridge, and constantly sounds out of tune

Gordon Is A Moron is the first punk record I can remember. Although I do remember a "these peolpe are bad" retrospective about the Pistols on BBC1 Nationwide, that was probably when Spungen was murdered.

The more parental disapproval the better! :pac:

• Advertisement

Endured her at Prince in Cork '89. Bored the tits off everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Chic from 1978 on BBC Four right now.

Whatever happened to the guitarist?

:pac:

I think he’s in De Nile

So much jimi stuff this weekend. I have the tape worn from his Woodstock performance recorded on tape many years ago.

The biopic is just pants if you haven’t seen it. It’s low budget, but Andre 3000 (of outkast) plays him quite well. Just the production values, acting, and lack of Jimi songs let it down. I mean, when they couldn’t get the go ahead from the Hendrix estate to use the songs, did they not think, “ok let’s shelve this project”

Favourite music biopic?

- quite enjoyed walk the line
    - ray was quite good also
    - seem to remember watching the Gerry Lee Lewis biopic back in the 80s, when I probably shouldn’t have been

The biopic is just pants if you haven’t seen it. It’s low budget, but Andre 3000 (of outkast) plays him quite well.

A near impossible acting role and it wasn't a good movie but he did a decent job. There were rumours of Phil Lynott playing the role many moons ago but substance probably got in the way.

I don't think there is such thing as a good biopic - although it seems Madonna is going to test the genre. I would recommend Miles Davis biography though. It reads in his voice and after a while you get the distinction between "bad ass motherfuker" being a derogatory and term of praise.

https://www.amazon.com/Miles-Autobiography-Davis/dp/0671725823

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

A new biopic doing film festivals at the moment

119473866_721777271708056_8257996127607501230_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=yucTgf6JG_gAX_UZ-h-&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&tp=7&oh=cfffc1521b861bfd892a3b1fac32d3ed&oe=5F8B5CFF

^^^

Do you have a cameo, Sligo? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

Gordon Is A Moron is the first punk record I can remember. Although I do remember a "these peolpe are bad" retrospective about the Pistols on BBC1 Nationwide, that was probably when Spungen was murdered.

The more parental disapproval the better! :pac:

It was a comedy record really, not a punk record. A hoot though. I'm now off to the lyrics thread to post a quote.

A comedy record in the punk stylee.

Julian Temple's stuff is consistently awesome, whensit gonna be on Netflix or Film4? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

^^^

Do you have a cameo, Sligo? :)

No. I would have been if I'd gome down to nenagh earlier i the year when they were filming . That weekend didn't suit me. A lot of filming was done without him being there. My brother and some mutual friends can be seen in hte background.
    A comedy record in the punk stylee.

Julian Temple's stuff is consistently awesome, whensit gonna be on Netflix or Film4? :)

Not sure. I think it has to win some awards first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

"A Few Rounds With ..." :pac:

(Ah, I see one of my many cousins is the cinematographer :))

• Advertisement

I enjoyed that Guy Garvey archive thing on Sky Arts

Some fine clippage, including apparently never-broadcast Kate Bush performances. Some of the videos were brief, although maybe that's all that was taped at the time

It is repeated at 12.50am on Thursday (early Friday) and there is a new episode on Friday at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

12.25am Film: Jimi: All Is By My Side (BBC2)
    In The Olympia in Dublin which was pretending to be The Saville Theatre London

I think I posted this here before, but the interior of a lot of the pub scenes were shot in The Stag's Head in Dublin, in the upstairs bar IIRC. I remember seeing it cordoned off while walking past it a few times. Oh, and it's an absolutely terrible film!! Completely inaccurate and best avoided.
    Great Soul documentary on BBC Four right now.

Hopefully this absolute classic will get an airing... :cool:

I can't listen to that without hearing "Cadburys Crème Egg....." in my head for the chorus! :D :pac:
    sligojoek wrote: »
    A new biopic doing film festivals at the moment

There's a piece about it in the paper today - https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/johnny-depps-warts-and-all-film-on-old-pal-shane-macgowan-gets-world-premiere-39545185.html Looks interesting, really can't wait to see it!
    sligojoek wrote: »
    No. I would have been if I'd gome down to nenagh earlier i the year when they were filming . That weekend didn't suit me. A lot of filming was done without him being there. My brother and some mutual friends can be seen in hte background.

This must be the first documentary about him where you haven't had a cameo of some sort?? I'll say no more.... ;)

BandMember wrote: »

I can't listen to that without hearing "Cadburys Crème Egg....." in my head for the chorus! :D :pac:

The floaters - oh how unfortunate

Hello, this weekend sees Sky Arts remembering the early days of MTV when it showed a bit of music now and then. They also send Guy Garvey off to plunder the ITV archives once more, in a show which is a bit like Pat Shortt's thing but with no bloody annoying sketches

Sky also has buckets of Pink Floyd on Saturday while Jools is back on BBC2 and there are a few other bits and bobs, apparently the TOTP repeats are resuming soon but they have lots of old stuff to keep it going for now ...

Thursday
    7.30pm Seal le Daithi (TG4)
    Uilleann piper Seán Potts talks to Dáithí Ó Sé

9pm Glor Tire – Rogha & Togha (TG4)

11pm Elvis ’68 Comeback Special (Sky Arts)

12.50am Guy Garvey – From The Vaults (Sky Arts)
    Repeat of last week’s episode which featured performances from 1979

1.50am Beyonce – I Am World Tour (Sky Arts)

Friday
    3pm The South Bank Show Originals – Herbie Hancock (Sky Arts)

7pm Trailblazers – Disco (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & 2.40am TOTP – Kylie Minogue (BBC4)

8pm Top Of The Pops – Big Hits 1981 (BBC4)
    Performances from big hitter soloists Phil Collins, Shakin' Stevens and Kim Wilde are featured alongside the exuberant chaos of groups like Tenpole Tudor, Adam and the Ants and the Teardrop Explodes. Plus, Odyssey, Clare Grogan, the Specials and the Human League

8pm Soundtracks – Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    Billy Joel’s New York State Of Mind, a 9/11 song

8.30pm Hup (TG4)
    Music from Skerries, County Dublin. Includes performances by the band New Road and Ontario fiddler Shane Cook, plus singer Pat Good plays the music he has set to a Flann O'Brien poem

9pm & 1.40am Australian Hits At The BBC (BBC4)
    Featured chartbusters include pop pioneers the Easybeats, rock 'n' roll legends AC/DC, and INXS who became one of the nation's most successful acts of all time. Also included are ground-breaking Aborigine band Yothu Yindi, and the more famiiliar faces of Nick Cave, John Farnham, Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan. This is part of Australia week on BBC4

9pm Guy Garvey: From The Vaults (Sky Arts)
    Ep2: 1982 – Guy goes into the ITV archive to retrieve some rarely seen performances

10pm Later … With Jools Holland (BBC2) New!
    The musician opens the doors to his unique south London recording studio, joined by an esteemed guest to discuss their musical journey, loves and influences. Their discussion is illustrated by classic clips from the archive, supplemented by some unique new performances from during the current restrictions. Beginning the series is this special episode featuring the winner of the much-coveted Mercury Prize 2020

10pm I Want My MTV (Sky Arts) New!
    A nostalgic look back at the birth of MTV, which began broadcasting in 1981 and went on to shape modern pop culture and change the world. I think it’s the American original
    https://decider.com/2020/09/08/biography-i-want-my-mtv-review/

10pm Mystify – Michael Hutchence (BBC4)
    Profile of the INXS singer, featuring footage from private home movies and contributions by his friends and family to delve beneath the public persona of the charismatic frontman. The film also examines the traumatic brain injury he suffered in 1992, which caused him to lose his senses of smell and taste, along with the onslaught of tabloid press scrutiny due to his relationship with Paula Yates in the mid-1990s, before his death in November 1997. This was shown at Christmas, apparently it is decent enough

11.40pm INXS – Live Baby, Live (Sky Arts)
    A newly remastered version of the group's performance at Wembley Stadium in July 1991

11.45pm Music Videos That Shaped The 80s (Sky Arts)

12.05am Other Voices – David Gray (RTE2)
    His Ballina gig for Other Voices

12.40am Smashing Hits – The 80s Pop Map Of Britain and Ireland (BBC4)
    Or ****80sPMBOI for short, ahem. Ep 1 Midge Ure and Kim Appleby tour London, Sheffield and Coventry looking for pop stories

12.45am Madness – Before And After (Sky Arts)
    2.15am One Man’s Madness (Sky Arts)

The Madness Docs which were on last week

Saturday
    4pm Music Videos That Shaped The 80s (Sky Arts)

6pm Music Icons – Aretha Franklin (Sky Arts)

Pink Floyd Night on Sky Arts:
    6.30pm Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii 1972
    7.45pm Pulse – The Dark Side Of The Moon Live (1994 from Earl’s Court)
    9pm Roger Walters: Us & Them (2017 Amsterdam)
    11.30pm The Making Of Wish You Were Here

7pm Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)

7.30pm Bernard Haitink , The Enigmatic Maestro (BBC2)
    Doc about a dutch Conductor, who has retired aged 90

8pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)

9.05pm Opry An Iuir Le Daniel (TG4)

10.40pm Film: Sing Street (RTE2)
    A teenager in 1980s Dublin suffers a troubled life, having to contend with money troubles, his parents' strained marriage, his drop-out older brother and a tough new school. He forms a band hoping to find an escape route, and resorts to criminal measures to shoot music videos. Comedy drama, starring Ferdia Walsh-Peelo, Aidan Gillen and Maria Doyle Kennedy

11pm Jeddah World Music Fest (VM1)
    Performances from the 2019 Jeddah World Music Fest, featuring sets by Janet Jackson, Liam Payne, Chris Brown and 50 Cent

11pm Texas With The Scottish Symphony Orchestra (BBC Scotland)

12.30am Top Of The Pops - Big Hits 1981
    As Friday

12.40am Kila - Pota Oir (RTE2)
    A portrait of one of Ireland's most respected cult bands, whose members merge folk and world music traditions into a euphoric live experience

12.45am I Want My MTV (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

Sunday
    4.20pm Proms In Your Garden (BBC1 NI)
    John Toal presents performances by Barry Douglas, Gavin James, Lisa McHugh, George Hutton and Snow Patrol, and revisits memorable Proms moments from the Ulster Orchestra. Why there are in your garden, I don’t know

6pm Classic Albums: Fleetwood Mac – Rumours (Sky Arts)

7.15pm The Phantom Of The Opera At The Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)

9pm Black Classical Music – The Forgotten History (BBC4)
    Lenny Henry and Suzy Klein celebrate black classical composers and musicians across the centuries whose stories and music have been forgotten

9.30pm Lorient (TG4)
    Music from the Breton InterCeltic Festival

10pm Elvis – Aloha From Hawaii (Sky Arts)
    1973 Special

10.30pm Geantrai (TG4)
    Traditional music show, featuring the singers Tommy Keane, Andrew Murray, Jacquline McCarthy, Liz Hanrahan, Tommy O'Halloran and the Inisboffin Céilí Band.

11pm Frank Sinatra: Ol’ Blue Eyes Is Back (TG4)
    1973 TV Special featuring Gene Kelly

11.30pm Nana Mouskouri At The BBC (BBC4)

11.40pm Rod Stewart: It Had To Be You – The Great American Songbook (Sky Arts)
    Gig to plug his album of the same name

That's about that, do let us know if you seen anything else and all that

This was posted recently on Youtube as a fundraiser, a tribute fundraising concert for Joe Strummer. Plenty of well known names feature, they are all listed in the Youtube heading

Joe was a Telecaster man, as detailed here https://www.groundguitar.com/joe-strummer-guitars-and-gear/

... and another Telecaster diehard is Bruce Springsteen (whose Birthday is today), he left no doubt about it when he was asked to pay tribute to the Stratocaster

https://twitter.com/LettersOfNote/status/1308721286663868416

and finally, there is still no sign of live music returning so here's a memory of that time Aerosmith wandered into Mo's Tavern and were persuaded to do a set in return for a jar of pickled onions. Those were the days (from the episode shown tonight, Sky One 7pm)

The ‘I Want My MTV’ documentary should be good :)

Pub quiz question...

What was the SECOND video played on MTV when it launched?

The ‘I Want My MTV’ documentary should be good :)

Pub quiz question...

What was the SECOND video played on MTV when it launched?

Well, they were trying to get the kids to tune in, and they would have wanted a solid tune with a spectacular video ... was it this one?

:p

Well, they were trying to get the kids to tune in, and they would have wanted a solid tune with a spectacular video ... was it this one?

:p

Sadly, no :D

Twas this...

Might not get mentioned in the documentary, but I love the story of how there were so few ‘music videos’ made at the time of MTV’s launch, they were scrambling around for something - anything - to show. Step forward extremely obscure NY bar band Blotto, who gained exposure simply because they scraped together enough money to make a video :D

Mercury Music Prize 2020 Shortlist on BBC Four right now :)

Did Dennis Waterman have an album out this year? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Mercury Music Prize 2020 Shortlist on BBC Four right now :)

Did Dennis Waterman have an album out this year? :D

Laura marling is a goddess

• Advertisement

Never heard of Sports Team before, but they were good.

A real toe-tapper, as the kids say nowadays.

Advertisement