Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Mercury Music Prize 2020 Shortlist on BBC Four right now :)

Did Dennis Waterman have an album out this year? :D

I don't believe Detective Sergeant George Carter has released output for a few decades. He's possibly reflecting on his time with Detective Inspector Jack Regan which preceded his jovial time with Arthur.
    peteeeed wrote: »
    Laura marling is a goddess

She is indeed - I missed this tonight but she deservedly is up there. Although I'm still trying to get over Roni Size winning it when Photek and LTJ Bukem were releasing far superior drum and bass.

dasdog wrote: »
    I chose "What's Going On".....It's still my favourite album 25 years on.

The Rolling Stone Top 500 Albums of All Time was revised and published today and it made the number one spot.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/remaking-500-greatest-albums-1061229/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

BandMember wrote: »

This must be the first documentary about him where you haven't had a cameo of some sort?? I'll say no more.... ;)

I try to stay out of the limelight.

Just to keep you in the loop, a certain scruffy person had a few "socially distanced" pints with King C 2 weeks ago in a certain establishment in NW Tipp. The crack (not that kind) was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

@bandmember.

The Jimi clip reminded me of, our late great friend, Dave.

He rang me one night pissed to apologise and admit that he liked Jimi Hendrix more than Shane MacGowan.

The following night he rang to apologise for getting a Jimi tattoo on his leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Jools is back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I don't believe Detective Sergeant George Carter has released output for a few decades. He's possibly reflecting on his time with Detective Inspector Jack Regan which preceded his jovial time with Arthur.

Not since Shut it! Music of the Sweeney was released in the early 2000s.

Cop a load of this. Filled with Harry South's striking themes and loads of KPM library music from the likes of ex Shadows drummer Brian Bennett, and Keith 'Grandstand' Mansfield

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Mercury Music Prize 2020 Winner just announced on ‘The One Show’!

*drum roll*

Michael Kiwanuka and his album ‘Kiwanuka’ :)

Cop a load of this. Filled with Harry South's striking themes and loads of KPM library music from the likes of ex Shadows drummer Brian Bennett, and Keith 'Grandstand' Mansfield

Thanks for that - it's going to be getting plenty of listens from me. I love that style that maybe could be attributed to Lalo Schifrin?
    Michael Kiwanuka and his album ‘Kiwanuka’ :)

Fair play - another gig I missed this year that fell victim to you know what. He's a quality act.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Amazing how Kim Wilde went from TOTP to now flogging dairymilk

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Not since Shut it! Music of the Sweeney was released in the early 2000s.

Savage.

• Advertisement

Not a bad year for music in ‘81...Duranny Duranny, Specials, Tenpole Tudor, The Soft Cell, Spandoo Bullet :)

Even Shaky :o

Clare Grogan! Yay! :)

And is that Steve Coogan on guitar? A-haaaa! :D

I just don't get Shakin' Stevens

human league yes

Seeing them live (hopefully!) next year, supported by Altered Images and Tom Bailey of Thompson Twins :D

Enough time to grow my hair long down one side of my face :cool:

I thought Aussie hits at the BBC would just be some lad blowing a didgeridoo

Dogs in Space - a bit of a cult classic about the post punk Melbourne scene and is sort of based on a band like INXS success. The full movie gets taken down regularly from YT. Well worth a watch while it's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I thought Aussie hits at the BBC would just be some lad blowing a didgeridoo

I'm not a fan of INXS, but that is a great documentary that's on at the moment. I watched it partly when I was in my family house so missed stuff. Good stuff, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Yeah, great stuff, even the way they presented the personal information. That crash was the big thing!

I'm not a fan of INXS, but that is a great documentary that's on at the moment.

Kick is a fantastic album - it pretty much had everything from exciting new sounds to anthems.

Just watched the ‘I Want My MTV’ documentary that Sky Arts showed last night - highly recommended :)

Refreshing, and at the same time highly telling, that Nirvana were’t mentioned once. The video for ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ was seen as the turning point for MTV when they swung away from ‘hair metal’ and more towards reality TV shows like ‘The Real World’.

Anyway, what’s wrong with being sexy? :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm not a fan of INXS, but that is a great documentary that's on at the moment. I watched it partly when I was in my family house so missed stuff. Good stuff, though!

Also good that it showed Hutchence in a different light to the one perceived by the public - that he was not an arrogant, egotistical rock star, but sensitive and painfully shy. By all accounts, he was deeply hurt by the Brit Awards incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Just watched the ‘I Want My MTV’ documentary that Sky Arts showed last night - highly recommended :)

Refreshing, and at the same time highly telling, that Nirvana were’t mentioned once. The video for ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ was seen as the turning point for MTV when they swung away from ‘hair metal’ and more towards reality TV shows like ‘The Real World’.

Anyway, what’s wrong with being sexy? :pac:

I remember a couple of summers in the 90s when you would pretty much check MTV every few minutes to see what tune was on. I'd love to see some figures of what they played most.

For a while you couldn't go half an hour without hearing millions of peaches, peaches for me.

Roger Waters live on Sky Arts right now, with the ‘Us And Them’ tour.

I actually saw it live in Manchester, on the same night that En-ger-land were in the World Cup (the one where they went through after winning a penalty shoot-out).

Almost EVERYBODY in the audience were glued to their phones watching the match, nobody paying attention to the show :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Due to the cable proliferation in Dublin and other parts of Ireland, MTV had a much bigger influence here than it did in the UK. After the UK/Ireland version launched most of the requests were from Ireland

Ray Cokes was the man for a long time, maybe the most famous english speaking broadcaster in Europe. He disappeared after this disasterous live outside broadcast where he cut the live transmission short after getting bottled by the crowd. He is still big in Belgium and other parts of Europe

Jaysus, I remember now getting goosebumps during ‘Eclipse’ when the prism appeared. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    For a while you couldn't go half an hour without hearing millions of peaches, peaches for me.

"Peaches come from a can,
    They were put there by a man,
    In a factory downtown..."

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Just thinking about how Fab Vinny (RIP) ripped off MTV and got to present from New York linking three hours of videos on RTE1 on Sunday afternoons on RTE1

Here's a link to the RTE Doc about the show from a few years back https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/fab-vinny-s1-e1/99568167977

That was the most unlikely show ever on RTE

A friend of mine has hours of that show taped on video, just waiting to get it converted to DVD or whatever the kids are watching these days

Skid X wrote: »
    Just thinking about how Fab Vinny (RIP) ripped off MTV and got to present from New York linking three hours of videos on RTE1 on Sunday afternoons on RTE1

That show really was a ray of sunshine and an escape from the drudgery. Even better if you watched it and on occasion it would be conveniently forgotten to go to mass on a Sunday evening. That was a double win.

I watched this documentary today which I had heard was in the making. It's about the dance/rave scene in Dublin from it's early roots through the 90's. Plenty of familiar names and faces in it. Just transport me back to the Temple of Sound/Ormonde/Kitchen/Funnel on a Saturday night now please.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

That show really was a ray of sunshine and an escape from the drudgery. Even better if you watched it and on occasion it would be conveniently forgotten to go to mass on a Sunday evening. That was a double win.

I watched this documentary today which I had heard was in the making. It's about the dance/rave scene in Dublin from it's early roots through the 90's. Plenty of familiar names and faces in it. Just transport me back to the Temple of Sound/Ormonde/Kitchen/Funnel on a Saturday night now please.

I saw that at the Dublin Film Festival a couple of years ago. I was one of those soldiers back in the day. There was a lot of familiar old faces in the audience for that screening. It was quite lovely that aspect of it actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Just started rewatching that. It's a cracking doc, especially if you were there. A great document of a time in Dublin city.

Advertisement