Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Just started rewatching that. It's a cracking doc, especially if you were there. A great document of a time in Dublin city.

Delighted to see The Funnel get some praise. That was the venue for homegrown drum and bass/electro, album launches from Decal/Ultramac etc. It really was a show case for local creativity and was more focussed on music than everyone just getting out of their bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

dasdog wrote: »
    Delighted to see The Funnel get some praise. That was the venue for homegrown drum and bass/electro, album launches from Decal/Ultramac etc. It really was a show case for local creativity and was more focussed on music than everyone just getting out of their bins.

Man, you're giving me the feels with that comment. I knew a few of those heads back then. It takes me back to Phibsborough in the early to mid 90's. The place was buzzing with the likes of Decal, Ultramac, all sorts of musicians, film makers, the Dead Elvis record label people etc. The Welcome Inn on Parnell street was one place that'd be full of those folk. Great days.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Announcement of a Style Council documentary heading for Sky Arts at the end of next month...

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-style-council-announce-career-spanning-long-hot-summers-anthology-2750017?amp

I always thought The Style Council were much better than The Jam.

There, I said it.

Come at me, keyboard warriors!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There, I said it.

I wouldnt fancy your chances Down in the Tube Station at Midnight...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Announcement of a Style Council documentary heading for Sky Arts at the end of next month...

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-style-council-announce-career-spanning-long-hot-summers-anthology-2750017?amp

There, I said it.

Style Council.

The band The Jam could have been

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭OldRio

sligojoek wrote: »
    Style Council.

Heaven forbid.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

https://twitter.com/TOTPFacts/status/1310201494185148422

Top of the Pops big hits and The Story of 1990 this week, episodes from 1990 starting next week

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Conqueror wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/TOTPFacts/status/1310201494185148422

Top of the Pops big hits and The Story of 1990 this week, episodes from 1990 starting next week

Yes! On Friday Night we're gonna party like it's nineteen ninety. Elsewhere there is lots of John Lennon programming, which seems slightly early as his 80th Birthday would have been on Friday week. Jools has a solid lineup and TG4 has a very good Rory Gallagher Doc on Sunday ...

Thursday
    9pm Glor Tire – Rogha & Togha (TG4)

9pm Laurel Canyon (Sky Documentaries)
    Ep 1&2 Documentary telling the story of the idyllic Hollywood Hills community and the famed musicians who made history there

11.10pm Elvis – Aloha From Hawaii (Sky Arts)

12.50am Guy Garvey From The Vaults (Sky Arts)
    Ep 2: 1982. Features shock evidence from Dave Gahan that it really should have been pronounced Depech-eh Mode

Friday
    7pm Trailblazers – Glam Rock (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & 3am Sounds Of The Eighties (BBC4)
    Featuring Echo and the Bunnymen, Michael Stipe, the Smiths, the Jesus and Mary Chain, the Cure, Lone Justice and the Pixies

8pm Top Of The Pops – Big Hits 1990 (BBC4) New!
    This compilation celebrates some of the best studio performances of the biggest hits including break-out appearances by Adamski featuring Seal, Vanilla Ice, Beats International, EMF, the KLF Primal Scream and Snap! Plus, plenty of girl power from Betty Boo, Sinead O'Connor, Maria McKee, En Vogue, Kylie Minogue and Tina Turner

8pm Soundtracks – Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    A look at how the politically driven songs of Neil Young and Buffalo Springfield took on new meaning following the Kent State massacre during anti-Vietnam War protests

9pm & 2am Top Of The Pops – The Story Of 1990 (BBC4) New!
    A look back at the musical tastes of the early 1990s, when the new pop grammars of hip-hop and dance bewildered the old school institution that was the BBC's weekly chart show. Adamski, Orbital, 808 State and Snap! struggled to translate their brand of cool beats to the BBC's need for musicianship and random dancers, while the likes of Betty Boo, MC Tunes and Beats International brought the British take on hip-hop to the studio. In a year in that even saw footballer John Barnes embrace rap, these breakthrough hip-hop artists had to share the limelight with big balladeers including Sinead O'Connor and Maria McKee

9pm Guy Garvey From The Vaults (Sky Arts)
    Ep 3 1977 The Elbow frontman celebrates 1977, looking back at a long-lost Blondie performance, Marc Bolan's last TV appearance and the emergence of the punk movement

10pm Geri’s 1990s – My Drive To Freedom (BBC4) New!
    Geri Halliwell follows in the footsteps of Tom Jones, Keith Richards, Boy George and Jazzie B by revisiting the decade that has defined her life and career to date. Geri helped to ensure 'Girl Power' dominated the 'Cool Britannia' scene with her iconic Union Jack dress, and here she reflects on how a working-class girl from Watford came to symbolise the gender politics of a turbulent era. Also stopping at New Labour, Diana dying, Mandela and the launch of the Internet

10pm Later … with Jools Holland (BBC2)
    Jools welcomes guest Robert Plant, inviting the Led Zeppelin frontman to talk him through his musical journey, loves and influences, illustrated by classic clips from the show's archive. Plus, Declan McKenna joins Jools in the studio in a special performance at the piano of Be an Astronaut, from his recently released and critically acclaimed second album Zeros, a record heavily influenced by his '70s glam heroes. There's also music from London Grammar

10pm The Making Of Marc Bolan (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story of how East End boy Mark Feld became a glam rock superstar as the frontman of T. Rex. Featuring contributions from friends, family and well-known fans

11pm David Bowie – A Reality Tour (Sky Arts)
    From 2003 in Dublin’s Point Depot

11pm Toots And The Maytals – Reggae Got Soul (BBC4)
    (First of two programmes shown in tribute to Toots Hibbert) A profile of Toots Hibbert, featuring an interview with the reggae musician and archive footage of his performances. The film traces his career from his early days as a singer in a Jamaican church to becoming a Grammy award-winning artist, and features contributions by Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, Jimmy Cliff, Bonnie Raitt, Willie Nelson, Marcia Griffiths and Paolo Nutini

Midnight Toots And The Maytals at Glastonbury 2010 (BBC4)
    The ska group's performance on the West Holts Stage, featuring songs such as Pressure Drop, Louie Louie, Monkey Man and 54-46 Was My Number. Introduced by Mark Radcliffe

11.45pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Featuring performances from Junior Brother, A Smyth, Thumper and Anna Mieke

12.15am Pink Floyd: PULSE – The Dark Side Of The Moon Live (Sky Arts)
    1994 live gig of the full album

1am Smashing Hits! The Eighties Pop Map Of Britain And Ireland (BBC4)
    Ep 2 Midge Ure and Kim Appleby explore the sounds that came from Scotland, Ireland and Wales. They start in Glasgow with the American influences that shaped a substantial part of Scottish music, look at the punk and folk backdrop to Irish music and, finally, delve into the Welsh merger of folk and punk. The programme features evocative archive, music and interviews with significant figures of the era including Bob Geldof, Clare Grogan from Altered Images, Pat Kane from Hue and Cry, Moya Brennan of Clannad and Mike Peters from legendary Welsh band the Alarm.

1.30am Roger Waters Us And Them (Sky Arts)
    2018 solo gig from Amsterdam

Saturday
    7pm David Bowie – Finding Fame (Yesterday)
    The final part of Francis Whately's trilogy of films on Bowie's life, telling the story of the five years when many of the ideas that would help him become an icon were first born

7.45pm Matt Cunningham - Ri na Seit (TG4)
    Documentary in which troubadour Matt Cunningham invites cameras to accompany him to his family home in Headford, Co Galway, for a greater insight into his life off-stage

8pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)

8.50pm Opry An Iuir (TG4)
    Daniel O'Donnell introduces up-and-coming stars of country music, including Chantelle Padden, Simon Peters, David James, Gary Fitzpatrick and Shauna McStravock

9.30pm Mr Dynamite – The Rise Of James Brown (Sky Arts)
    The career of the singer, musician and producer, charting his journey from his first hit Please, Please, Please in 1956 through his pioneering funk phase to later chart success

10pm For One Night Only - Rod Stewart (VM3)

11.40pm John & Yoko – Above Us Only Sky (Channel 4)
    The story of John Lennon's album Imagine, released in 1971, exploring how the art, politics and music of the pair are intrinsically entwined. Featuring interviews with Yoko Ono, Julian Lennon, David Bailey, John Dunbar, Dan Richter and Eddie Veale, some of whom have never spoken publicly on film before, as well as previously unseen footage of Lennon and Ono from their private archive
    This reminds of that this grafitti incident from a few years ago, happily things are going a lot better for Liverpool recently
    https://twitter.com/Love_Winners_/status/250647742056132609

11.45pm Hip Hop Evolution (Sky Arts)
    Ep 1 of 4 Documentary charting the history of the genre from the 1970s through the 1990s, featuring interviews with influential MCs, DJs and industry moguls

12.20am Film: A Hard Day’s Night (BBC2)
    The Beatles, harassed by their manager and Paul's grandfather, embark on a train journey to London for a TV show, but find themselves dogged by all manner of problems, including the inevitable overexcited fans. Musical comedy, starring the Fab Four alongside Wilfrid Brambell, Victor Spinetti and Anna Quayle. Songs include Can't Buy Me Love, Don't Bother Me and the title track

12.35am Top Of The Pops - Big Hits 1990 (BBC4)

12.45am Guy Garvey From The Vaults (Sky Arts)

1.45am The Making Of Marc Bolan (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    3.05pm Glenn Campbell - I’ll Be Me (Sky Documentaries)
    Excellent Documentary following the country star and his wife Kim on tour across America, featuring contributions by Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney and Bill Clinton. Not on Youtube, but if you were to google it and search under videos, you might find it in full

3.15pm Cosc – Down With Jazz (RTE1)
    Documentary exploring famous incidents when things were banned in Ireland. The first episode focuses on the campaign against jazz music in the 1930s, with both church and state determined to promote a traditional, conservative identity for the Irish people, which this controversial new form of music seemed at odds with

7.30pm Vienna Philarmonic Summer Concert (BBC4)
    Conducted by Russian maestro Valery Gergiev and features German tenor Jonas Kaufmann. Adopting the theme of love, it features arias by Jules Massenet, Emmerich Kalman and Giacomo Puccini. This means nothing to me.

9pm Lennon’s Last Weekend (Sky Arts) New!
    A look at the musician's final interview, given to Radio 1 DJ Andy Peebles two days before the former Beatle was murdered, intertwined with footage and commentary from friends

9.30pm Cork Folk Festival (TG4) New!
    Ep 1 of 6 Highlights of the 40th anniversary of one of Ireland's best-loved Folk Festivals. Doireann Ní Ghlacáin brings an hour of music and song from Iarla Ó Lionáird and Steve Cooney, local legends and siblings Máire Ní Ghráda and Cónal Ó Gráda, three-time RTÉ Folk award-winning band Ye Vagabonds and Megan Ní Fhionnghaile. This is all new, from October 2020
    https://www.tg4.ie/en/information/press/press-releases/2020-2/cork-folk-festival-featured-on-tg4/

10.30pm Spin: Jimmy Crowley – The Boys Of Fairhill (TG4)
    Ep 1 of 6 Broadcaster Philip King examines the stories behind important albums. In the first edition, he returns to his home town of Cork to meet Jimmy Crowley and Stokers Lodge, who discuss the cast of characters featured in their record The Boys of Fairhill

10.30pm Showbands – How Ireland Learned To Party (BBC2 NI)
    Ardal O'Hanlon looks back at the phenomenon, examining what triggered the infamous era, the people involved, and its eventual end in the 1980s. May contain Twink, viewer discretion is advised

10.30pm Gimme Some Truth – John Lennon (Sky Arts)
    Documentary following the former Beatles star and his wife Yoko Ono as they recorded the album Imagine at their Ascot estate in 1971

11.05pm Rory Gallagher – Ghost Blues (TG4)
    Documentary examining the guitarist's contribution to the Irish rock movement and the impact he made on musicians and fans around the world. Charting his rise to fame, the programme features rare tracks
    from his formative years and explores how his musical legacy continues to grow and inspire. With contributions by the Edge, Bill Wyman, Bob Geldof, Slash and Martin Carthy

11.45pm My Beatles Black Album With Charles Hazlewood (Sky Arts)
    The conductor makes up a compilation album of solo Beatles songs

12.05am Slan Leis An gCeol – Tony McMahon (RTE1)
    A portrait of musician Tony MacMahon, who is slowly losing the ability to play following a Parkinson's diagnosis, revealing how the loss of his creative voice is affecting him

BBC Radio 2 continues the Lennonathon with Sean Lennon presenting a two part show about his Dad, where he interviews his brother Julian and Paul McCartney, among others https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54252598

There's an RTE Radio play loosely based around the Beatles from a few years ago. It's about Death trying to kill a Beatles Fan or something, I've never heard it to be honest

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2017/0804/895189-death-and-the-beatles-fan/
    https://www.rte.ie/drama/radio/plays/2016/0819/810482-death-and-the-beatles-fan-by-stephen-kennedy/

And finally, in other news - the Most Offensive Song Played At A Country and Western Club Of The Week might be this one, as sang by Borat in Ali G In Da USA (Sunday Night Comedy Central 12.55am). Having said that, the locals seemed to enjoy this one more than they did that time the Blues Brothers rolled into town

• Registered Users Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Skid X wrote: »
    11pm David Bowie – A Reality Tour (Sky Arts)
    From 2003 in Dublin’s Point Depot

I was there. I remember the notices pasted up warning folks that the show was being recorded as I came up the escalator.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Skid X wrote: »
    7.30pm Vienna Philarmonic Summer Concert (BBC4)
    Conducted by Russian maestro Valery Gergiev and features German tenor Jonas Kaufmann. Adopting the theme of love, it features arias by Jules Massenet, Emmerich Kalman and Giacomo Puccini. This means nothing to me.

I enjoyed last year's concert although it will lose something in October I think - should be a Midsummer Night :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Some great shows there. Oh to have bbc iplayer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

I try to stay out of the limelight.

Just to keep you in the loop, a certain scruffy person had a few "socially distanced" pints with King C 2 weeks ago in a certain establishment in NW Tipp. The crack (not that kind) was good.

Really?? I heard it was because they couldn't agree to your Diva-esque demands..... :P Good to hear that news about those two individuals. No more than yourself, I hope they are keeping well too.
    @bandmember.

The Jimi clip reminded me of, our late great friend, Dave.

He rang me one night pissed to apologise and admit that he liked Jimi Hendrix more than Shane MacGowan.

The following night he rang to apologise for getting a Jimi tattoo on his leg.

Phone calls with Dave were always "interesting", even more so when he had partaken of a drop or two.... A genuine, funny person with an unparalleled thinking process - like you describe! Still can't believe he's not here. I really must ring you soon!!
    PsychoPete wrote: »
    Amazing how Kim Wilde went from TOTP to now flogging dairymilk

There's many who have fallen further! ;)
    PsychoPete wrote: »
    I just don't get Shakin' Stevens

He's the Welsh Elvis! What's there not to get?? :D :pac:
    Style Council.

Ok, I retract my previous statement. You'll be waiting a long time for a phone call after that comment!! :eek:
    I was there. I remember the notices pasted up warning folks that the show was being recorded as I came up the escalator.

So, is it true about his opening comment that night, or is it just an urban legend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

Some great shows there. Oh to have bbc iplayer

*cough* VPN *cough* ;)

1990!

mchammer.gif

Vanilla Ice!

*shudders*

*hides ‘To The Extreme’ album under bed*

:o

Just changed over from the Rovers game and the Vanilla Ice dance routine included a Vyvyan pressup routine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Vanilla Ice!

*shudders*

*hides ‘To The Extreme’ album under bed*

:o

A bit mad he had Alanis Morissette as a support act

Can’t see many boardsies enjoying this...

I don’t recall anything good happening to Ireland in 1990.

:pac:

Can’t see many boardsies enjoying this...

I don’t recall anything good happening to Ireland in 1990.

:pac:

Something about us winning the world cup or something

I wonder are they going to show Nirvana purposely butchering smells like teen spirit in 91

• Advertisement

‘What Time Is Love’ - oh yeah! :)

giphy.gif

The keytar isn't used enough in todays music

Just what is it that you want to do? :cool:

Seeing the Scream there put me in mind of Denise Johnson (RIP), whose final album was released today.

Fitting front window display at Piccadilly Records in Manchester.

https://twitter.com/PiccadillyRecs/status/1311950178346205185

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Unusual to not hear Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbot singing this

Just what is it that you want to do? :cool:

This is where the 1990's musical revolution begins. Samplers started becoming somewhat affordable, sequencers could run on home computers and the net result was songs like Rhubarb and Custard, Outer Space and swathes of homemade electronic music/videos which were despised by the hit making producers of 1988/1989 but loved by the young uns.

Peak Kylie here.

There, I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

always liked the klf although could have done with a few quid from the million pounds they burnt in 1994

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Peak Bez here

• Advertisement

Kylie looking very Dee-Liteful.

That Monday's guitar riff....uff.

Advertisement