Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Peak Bez here

Thought it was John Bishop before he started the comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

No hubcaps in the BBC car park after this performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Tina Turner - what a career - and she looked amazing way in to her mid years.

Frank Zappa's 1974 Over-Nite Sensation and one of his best albums featured Tina and The Ikettes. You can hear her voice distinctively on songs like Dynamo Hum - which is pretty NSFW. Worth a listen to just to hear her doing studio session work 45+ years ago under the thumb of the arsehole Ike unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dasdog wrote: »
    This is where the 1990's musical revolution begins. Samplers started becoming somewhat affordable, sequencers could run on home computers and the net result was songs like Rhubarb and Custard, Outer Space and swathes of homemade electronic music/videos which were despised by the hit making producers of 1988/1989 but loved by the young uns.

Roobarb.

Roobarb And Custard Too was later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hi, 2020? Can you hear me? Cool, do you mind if I invite you to go f*ck yourself?

Eddie Van Halen has passed away.

The greatest of the great.

This is a load of bòllocks.

RIP Eddie :(

Crank it up as loud as humanly possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm gonna get me some poundcake.

Woman on the BBC News Channel pronouncing his name ‘Van HAL-LEN’, as in ‘Valhalla’ :mad: :mad: :(

Have some of this...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Bugger to that news

Eddie knew what Rock and Roll was all about, and he did it brilliantly
    “I don’t know **** about scales or music theory,” he told Rolling Stone in 1980. “I don’t want to be seen as the fastest guitar in town, ready and willing to gun down the competition. All I know is that rock & roll guitar, like blues guitar, should be melody, speed, and taste, but more important, it should have emotion. I just want my guitar playing to make people feel something: happy, sad, even horny.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/eddie-van-halen-dead-200051/

• Advertisement

Hello, no sign of any tribute shows for Eddie Van Halen yet but hopefully someone will point out any changes to the schedules. Top Of The Pops comes screaming into the 90s at last, and there is all manner of John Lennon and Beatl-ie programming going on ...

Thursday
    9pm Glor Tire – Shawn Cuddy (TG4)

10.30pm Puncai (TG4)
    Four people look back at their lives as punks in the late 1970s, revealing why they acted and dressed differently, and comparing their experience with two modern-day punks
    https://dearcanmedia.com/puncai/

10.55pm Classic Albums: Tears For Fears – Songs From The Big Chair (BBC4)

1am Guy Garvey: From The Vaults – 1977 (Sky Arts)

Friday
    3pm The South Bank Show Originals – Afro Cuban Allstars (Sky Arts)
    From 1998

7pm Trailblazers – Two Tone (Sky Arts)

7pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – Jan 4 (BBC4) New!
    Gary Davies presents the edition first aired on January 4, featuring performances by the Quireboys, Sonia and Latino Rave

7.30pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – Jan 11 (BBC4)
    Simon Mayo presents the pop chart programme, first broadcast on 11 January 1990 and featuring Deacon Blue, New Kids on the Block and the Mission

8pm Film: A Hard Days Night (BBC4)
    Starring The Beatles and Albert Steptoe

8pm Soundtracks – Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    A look at how artists including U2 and Kanye West joined New Orleans musicians in concerts to help ensure the city's rich traditions survived in the wake of Hurricane Katrina

8.30pm Hup (TG4)
    Music from Gort in Co Galway, featuring fiddler Brendan Mulkere and a duet from Ronan O'Flaherty and Conor Connolly

9pm Guy Garvey – From The Vaults (Sky Arts)
    The Elbow frontman looks back at 1984, featuring Madonna's first British TV appearance, performances from Sade and The Style Council, and footage from Culture Club's Japanese tour

10pm Imagine: Lennon – The New York Years (BBC4)
    (Repeat from 2011) The story of John Lennon and Yoko Ono's move to New York City in 1971, as the singer sought to escape the mayhem of the Beatles era and focus on his private life. Alan Yentob charts the ups and downs the couple faced - including their battle against the immigration services and Lennon's infamous 'lost weekend', when he left Yoko for their personal assistant and disappeared to LA for more than a year. The film features interviews with Ono, photographer Bob Gruen and Elton John, as well as studio recordings from the Double Fantasy sessions, concert out-takes and home-movie clips

10pm Later … With Jools Holland (BBC2)
    With Sam Smith, Jamaican artist Koffee and folk artist Shirley Collins

10pm There We Were, Now Here We Are – The Making Of Oasis (Sky Arts)
    Dick Carruthers charts the rise of the rockers, from their earliest rehearsals in Manchester to the release of their debut album. Featuring interviews with the original band members and key players in their journey to stardom, including Noel and Liam Gallagher and Creation label boss Alan McGee

11.05pm Cork Folk Festival (TG4)
    Ep 1 of 6 Highlights of the 40th anniversary of one of Ireland's best-loved Folk Festivals. Doireann Ní Ghlacáin brings an hour of music and song from Iarla Ó Lionáird and Steve Cooney, local legends and siblings Máire Ní Ghráda and Cónal Ó Gráda, three-time RTÉ Folk award-winning band Ye Vagabonds and Megan Ní Fhionnghaile

11.15pm Oasis – Live By The Sea (Sky Arts)
    1995 Southend Gig

11.20pm The Beatles – Made On Merseyside (BBC4)
    Director Alan Byron's documentary recounts the rise of the band as American rock 'n' roll and rhythm and blues dragged post-war Liverpool into one of the most vibrant music cities ever with the Mersey Beat sound

Midnight Other Voices (RTE2)
    Music show celebrating new talent, featuring performances by Boy Azooga, Lucy Rose, Hayden Thorpe, Kit Philippa and 9bach

12.30am John Lennon -Imagine (Sky Arts)
    Unique footage of the recording of the classic 1971 album, filmed in England, and the subsequent promotional tour to the USA and Japan

1.45am Smashing Hits - The 80s Pop Map Of Britain And Ireland (BBC4)
    Worst programme title ever. Midge Ure and Kim Appleby visit London and Manchester. Contributors include Denise Pearson from Five Star, Soul II Soul's Jazzie B, Mark Moore of S-Express, Shaun Ryder from the Happy Mondays and Peter Hook of New Order

1.45am Lennon’s Last Weekend (Sky Arts)
    A look at the musician's final interview, given to Radio 1 DJ Andy Peebles two days before the former Beatle was murdered, intertwined with footage and commentary from friends

2.45am Sounds Of The Sixties (BBC4)

3.15am TOTP2 – John Lennon Special (BBC4)

3.15am Gimme Some Truth – John Lennon (Sky Arts)
    Documentary following the former Beatles star and his wife Yoko Ono as they recorded the album Imagine at their Ascot estate in 1971

Saturday
    6.15pm Lenny Kravitz : Just Let Go – Live (Sky Arts)
    2014 Concert Film

7pm Meat Loaf: In And Out Of Hell (Yesterday)

8pm … Sings The Beatles (Yesterday)
    Lots of Beatles Covers

8.30pm Sade: Bring Me Home – Live 2011 (Sky Arts)

9.45pm Teddy Pendergrass – If You Don’t Know Me (BBC2)
    (New to BBC, shown on Sky Arts in 2019) Documentary about the life, music and towering achievements of soul singer Teddy Pendergrass, from his origins and early life in Philadelphia. The film charts his early successes with Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes and his solo superstardom and sex symbol status, before moving on to his later life and continued success after overcoming the car crash that left him paralysed

10.35pm Opry An Iuir (TG4)

11.30pm Soul America (BBC2)
    Ep 1 of 3 (this was shown on BBC4 in September) Amazing Grace Slavery once drove the economy of the American South and when it was finally abolished in 1863, its gospel tradition lived on. As the black American church grew in strength and popularity, so did its singers. A network of performers emerged known as the gospel highway and in the 1950s, soul music's first generation of stars emerged. The genre delivered an assertive, integrated vision of black America during the Civil Rights era of the early 1960s, presided over by the likes of Otis Redding and Aretha Franklin. Narrated by Carleen Anderson

12.50am Top Of The Pops 1990 – Jan 4 (BBC4)
    1.20am Top Of The Pops 1990 – Jan 11 (BBC4)

1am Soundtracks: Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)

1.40am Autopsy USA – Miles Davis (VM1)

2am Guy Garvey: From The Vaults (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    9pm Born In Chicago (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story of how the likes of Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf taught the blues to a host of young white proteges while working in Chicago in the 1960s

9.30pm Cork Folk Festival (TG4)
    Ep 2 of 6 Highlights of the 40th anniversary of one of Ireland's best-loved Folk Festivals. Doireann Ní Ghlacáin brings an hour of music and song from Irish and International artists, along with new upcoming talent.

10.30pm Spin: Andy Irvine and Paul Brady (TG4)
    Philip King meets Paul Brady and Andy Irvine to discuss the making of their self-titled album, which was released in 1976. Andy and Paul play songs from the record, and there are contributions by producer Donal Lunny and musician Eithne Ní Chatháin

10.45pm Queen Rock Montreal (Sky Arts)
    1981 Gig

11.40pm Mr Dynamite – The Rise Of James Brown (Sky Documentaries)
    The career of the singer, musician and producer, charting his journey from his first hit Please, Please, Please in 1956 through his pioneering funk phase to later chart success

12.45am Barry Manilow Live In Broadway

2am Autopsy USA – James Brown (VM1)
    The events leading up his death, a period where we wasn’t feeling good

If you have Now80s it will be been rebranded as Lennon80 from Friday for one week only. It has some proper Documentaries and performances so it might be worth a look http://www.johnlennon.com/news/lennon80-a-pop-up-tv-channel-in-the-uk-ireland-to-celebrate-john-lennons-80th-birthday/

There's a solid 13 minutes of Eddie Van Halen doing his thing the way only he could

Netflix has a new four part series 'Song Exploder' available now which is based on a popular podcast. One of these episodes features REM's Losing My Religion

https://www.nme.com/en_asia/blogs/tv-blogs/song-exploder-netflix-rem-michael-stipe-2772333

And finally, the Best Enrico Palazzo Performance Of The Weekend might be this one, as featured in The Naked Gun (Comedy Central Saturday 10pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Bernie Marsden on Facebook

121016245_3516540628393108_5318006356263759757_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=wR2eOsEkVLoAX-5a7G4&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=fdebe5733223530bca222e2642eea2f8&oe=5FA52422

Donington Park, 1984 - AC/DC were headlining and Van Halen, Ozzy, Gary Moore and Y&T were also all on the bill. I was there as a guest that year, seeing and hanging out with some mates, Gary Moore being my closest friend on the bill.

Gary had played his set and had been received royally as the true guitar hero he was. I told him I really wanted to go and watch Van Halen from the side of the stage, and told him to come and join me. Neither of us had seen Eddie playing live before, but I was so excited to see him play, gushing about his ability. Gary was obviously aware of the Van Halen records, and slightly reluctantly agreed to join me. I told him that I thought Eddie was the modern equivalent of Eric Clapton - his guitar style was being absorbed and obsessed over by a whole new generation of guitarists. Just like Eric did for us. Gary didn’t seem so sure!

We took our places side stage and within a few moments Gary was transported. His mouth opening wider in awe, “Bern, I had no idea he was THIS good!”

That’s how good Eddie Van Halen was, folks - take it from Gary Moore.

Thank you EVH - you reinvented what it was to be a guitar hero

BM

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ritchie Blackmore

Eddie Van Halen was a brilliant guitarist who started a technique of guitar playing which was emulated by a whole generation of guitarists. He was one of the nicest musicians I ever met in the music business. Very shy and not at all conceited about his ability as a guitar player. Frank Zappa said he reinvented the guitar. I agree. He will be sadly missed but his brilliant legacy will always be remembered. The ultimate guitar hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

sligojoek wrote: »
    Ritchie Blackmore

Eddie Van Halen was a brilliant guitarist who started a technique of guitar playing which was emulated by a whole generation of guitarists. He was one of the nicest musicians I ever met in the music business. Very shy and not at all conceited about his ability as a guitar player. Frank Zappa said he reinvented the guitar.

It's great to see him get the credit he deserves. When 1984 was released the tapes being passed around in 4th class primary school changed from Queen's Greatest Hits, Bat Out Of Hell, Deep Purple and the like to it and ZZ Top's Eliminator. Both albums were so modern and quite different but are absolutely imprinted in my being and I just wanted to play guitar after the revelation of hearing them countless times.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Donington Park, 1984 - AC/DC were headlining and Van Halen, Ozzy, Gary Moore and Y&T were also all on the bill. I was there as a guest that year, seeing and hanging out with some mates, Gary Moore being my closest friend on the bill.

Gary had played his set and had been received royally as the true guitar hero he was. I told him I really wanted to go and watch Van Halen from the side of the stage, and told him to come and join me. Neither of us had seen Eddie playing live before, but I was so excited to see him play, gushing about his ability. Gary was obviously aware of the Van Halen records, and slightly reluctantly agreed to join me. I told him that I thought Eddie was the modern equivalent of Eric Clapton - his guitar style was being absorbed and obsessed over by a whole new generation of guitarists. Just like Eric did for us. Gary didn’t seem so sure!

We took our places side stage and within a few moments Gary was transported. His mouth opening wider in awe, “Bern, I had no idea he was THIS good!”

That’s how good Eddie Van Halen was, folks - take it from Gary Moore.

Thank you EVH - you reinvented what it was to be a guitar hero

BM

Love it, that's the best tribute I've heard all week. That put a smile on my face. thanks for sharing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

I was at that gig, what a line-up!

TOPPERDEPOPSCHE AND MOPTOSCHE!

tumblr_mqdvg9VV5t1s9zd94o1_500.gif

What a way to start the new decade :pac:

‘Lick My Love Pump’- cock rock :D

• Advertisement

tenor.gif?itemid=15322978

I wouldn't like to be dealing with the solicitors letters from this dance mix thing looking for royalties, from the people behind the sampled songs

41oWhsfLxtL._AC_SX466_.jpg

1990 does get better, I promise.

Sonia looks all perky and smiley up there now, but later in 1990 she released a song called 'End Of The World'

Thankfully, we are deprived of seeing Fish’s Big Wedge.

DE LA SOUL!!

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Big Fun, Jaysus theres a memory I'd prefer stayed in the past.

“PICK A PEAR, ANY PEAAAR!”

• Advertisement

BAND AID 2.

tenor.gif?itemid=4687881

Advertisement