Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

FPI Project Woman sure put on a lot of weight in seven days :pac:

Great vocals by the young Paul Scholes there.

PLAY MEGADETH!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

PLAY MEGADETH!

You can't beat the Megadeths.

Rust In Peace is a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

Dedicated John Lennon channel on Sky (channel 371) to mark his 80th birthday. Think it's on Virgin as well. Some good stuff coming up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

With the 80's/early 90's vibe in fashion and visuals lately, much of the the fashion back then could pass for today. Even the on-screen graphics (aside from not being in HD) are being replicated today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

I was so appalled by Megadeth releasing "No more mister nice guy" I never bought or listened to any album they released after that single. That was me done with Thrash for some time - aside from the ever reliable Slayer.

While I was in The Point in 1991 where they headlined I went to see Alice In Chains who were second on the bill instead of my former heroes.

A keytar spotted in the 1990’s :cool:

Fish-Shape-from-Lemon-300x264.jpg

“A new entry from Jimmy Sommerville.”

b5c75897c7497291152ccc5cdbcd4c5a.jpg

• Advertisement

‘DIGNITY’ OR GTFO!

dasdog wrote: »
    I was so appalled by Megadeth releasing "No more mister nice guy" I never bought or listened to any album they released after that single. That was me done with Thrash for some time - aside from the ever reliable Slayer.

While I was in The Point in 1991 where they headlined I went to see Alice In Chains who were second on the bill instead of my former heroes.
    Jordan 199 wrote: »
    You can't beat the Megadeths.

Rust In Peace is a classic.

I'm completely contradicting myself but actually I did buy Rust In Peace and it's a brilliant album. The warning sign of things to come was that bloody single - I despised it - much like Metallica had released a video and Testament were doing ballads things were changing for the dollar. They toured Rust In Peace at that Point gig and although technically it was excellent it wasn't the same as a few years before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Nick Menza was a great drummer. Got an awful shock when I heard about his death over the radio.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Nick Menza was a great drummer. Got an awful shock when I heard about his death over the radio.

Absolute professional and his playing is all over that album - as is Marty Friedman's.

I can understand how Gar Samuelson is no longer alive. According to Mustaine's autobiography - which every chapter ends "No it was me who had the last laugh" - he used to hide his shooting up from the rest of the band. It was only a matter of time until the core of that band became junkies and spent the 90's just releasing rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Been a while since I've seen Madonna not looking like some kind of pirate hooker

So no schedule changes. What would have been John Lennon's 80th birthday seem more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

1990: The day the music died.

*Grabs embroidered denim Jacket and runs like fcuk from all the young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

sligojoek wrote: »
    1990: The day the music died.

*Grabs embroidered denim Jacket and runs like fcuk from all the young lads.

Aye. The year Stevie Ray died.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Pete!

*hugs*

Really enjoying the ‘Lennon 80’ Channel (Sky Channel 371 over here), on-air till next Friday.

Not only has it kept me in bed watching, it’s also inspired me to stage my own ‘bed-in’ protest against the Late Late Show!

The message is...IMAGINE A DECENT MISERY-FREE FRIDAY NIGHT ENTERTAINMENT SHOW.

Peace. :cool:

• Advertisement

Jan Hammer on "Keytar."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Jan Hammer on "Keytar."

He’s getting a good sound outta that thing to be fair.

Skid X wrote: »
    Sunday
    9pm Born In Chicago (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story of how the likes of Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf taught the blues to a host of young white proteges while working in Chicago in the 1960s

Really enjoyed this - I thought it was going to focus on the usual narrative of the Stones and other English bands importing the blues back to the US but the story was firmly centred on Chicago with some great footage and music.

Just got the last half hour of it. Hopefully it'll come round again. Queen show from Montreal on now.

Just spotted this on the EPG

Video killed the radio star.

10.30 am Friday.
    Joe Strummer

Shane MacGowan and former manager Frank Murray discuss Joe Strummer's career after leaving the Clash, looking at his time with the Pogues and his appearance in Alex Cox''s 1987 Spaghetti Western parody Straight to Hell. Featuring archive interviews with Strummer, who died in 2002

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Born In Chicago
    dasdog wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this - I thought it was going to focus on the usual narrative of the Stones and other English bands importing the blues back to the US but the story was firmly centred on Chicago with some great footage and music.
    Just got the last half hour of it. Hopefully it'll come round again. Queen show from Montreal on now.

Born in Chicago gets a very late night repeat on Friday night. Sky Arts also offers two new shows, about The Apollo in Harlem and the Anti Racist Punk movement. BBC4 goes the other way, with lots of Cliff Richard Birthday stuff. All kinds of other things too including that Joe Strummer show that sligojoek linked up above ...

Thursday
    10am Music Icons – Santana (Sky Arts)
    10.30am Video Killed The Radio Star -Frankie Goes To Hollywood (Sky Arts)

3pm The South Bank Show Originals – Courtney Pine (Sky Arts)
    Interview from 2000

4pm Music Icons – Talking Heads (Sky Arts)

4.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star (Sky Arts) – Joe Strummer (Sky Arts)
    Shane MacGowan and former manager Frank Murray discuss Joe Strummer's career after leaving the Clash, looking at his time with the Pogues and his appearance in Alex Cox''s 1987 Spaghetti Western parody Straight to Hell. Featuring archive interviews with Strummer, who died in 2002

9pm Glor Tire – Rogha Agus Togha (TG4)

11.15pm Black Music Legends Of The 1980s -Prince (BBC4)
    Profile of the enigmatic American musician, who rose to fame in the 1980s with hits including 1999, Kiss and Raspberry Beret. Featuring contributions by guitarist Dez Dickerson, Public Enemy frontman Chuck D, soul singer Beverley Knight and Paisley Park label president Alan Leeds

12.30am Guy Garvey: From The Vaults – 1984 (Sky Arts)

1am Autopsy USA – Marvin Gaye (VM1)

1.30am Soundtracks -Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    Hurricane Katrina

Friday
    10 am Music Icons – Talking Heads (Sky Arts)

10.30am Video Killed The Radio Star (Sky Arts) – Joe Strummer (Sky Arts)

7pm Trailblazers – Funk (Sky Arts)

7pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – Jan 18 (BBC4)
    Nicky Campbell presents the edition first broadcast on January 18, featuring performances by Halo James, the Quireboys, 49ers, New Kids on the Block, Megadeth, Kylie Minogue and Martika

7.30pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – Jan 26 (BBC4)
    Simon Mayo and Jackie Brambles host the edition first aired on January 26, with performances by artists including Phil Collins, Public Enemy, Sinead O'Connor, Del Amitri, Kylie Minogue and Yell!

8pm Soundtracks – Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    The Fall Of The Berlin Wall. The Scorpions and David Hasselhoff, maybe?

8pm Film: Summer Holiday (1963)
    Part of Cliff Richard night, to celebrate his 122nd Birthday (or something like that)
    Four mechanics embark on a fun-filled trip across Europe on board a double-decker London bus, and enjoy all manner of romantic adventures with three young women who hitch a ride on their way to Athens. However, an unexpected stowaway causes a few surprises. Musical comedy, starring Cliff Richard, Lauri Peters, Melvyn Hayes, Una Stubbs, Ron Moody and the Shadows

8.30pm Hup (TG4)
    More traditional music from the Fleadh by the Feale festival, held in Abbeyfeale, Co Limerick. The show features performances from Breaking Trad, Derek Hickey, Deirdre Scanlan and David Murphy

9pm Guy Garvey: From The Vaults – 1975 (Sky Arts)
    The Elbow frontman looks back at 1975, with appearances on the show Supersonic by Rod Stewart, Status Quo, Roxy Music and ELO, as well as clips of Ace and Dr Feelgood

9.50pm & 1.20am Cliff Richard At The BBC (BBC4)
    Amongst the classic songs featured are Move It, The Young Ones, Living Doll, Bachelor Boy, the Eurovision Song Contest contenders Congratulations and Power to All Our Friends, Devil Woman, Miss You Nights, Wired for Sound and his duet with Van Morrison, Wherever God Shines His Light

10pm Later … With Jools Holland (BBC2)
    With Paloma Faith , Fraser T Smith and Malian songwriter and guitarist Afel Bocoum

10pm White Riot (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary telling the story of a vital national protest movement - Rock Against Racism, formed in 1976 when a group of artists united to take on the National Front

10pm-1am When Pop Stars Go Horribly Wrong (MTV One)
    Bad moments and falls from grace suffered by some top artists. Members of boyband 5ive exclusively open up about the feud that saw the chart-topping band split, while Eurovision's Surie speaks about her now infamous stage invasion that left her shaken but determined the show should go on. Bucks Fizz star Jay Aston recalls the time that their tour bus crashed, leaving the future of the band in jeopardy and Mike Nolan's life hanging in the balance. Plus, the moment singer James Arthur would rather forget, when some dubious tweets get him in the papers for all the wrong reasons. Narrated by Sarah Cawood

10.50pm & 2.20am Rock n Roll Britannia (BBC4)
    A look back at the beginnings of British rock 'n' roll, when acts such as the Shadows and Johnny Kidd and the Pirates helped to lay the foundations of an enduring musical culture. Including the current line-up of the Quarrymen - forerunners of the Beatles - performing Rock Island Line, and contributions by Cliff Richard, Marty Wilde, Joe Brown and Bruce Welch.

11pm Cork Folk Festival (TG4)
    Highlights of the 40th anniversary of one of Ireland's best-loved Folk Festivals. Doireann Ní Ghlacáin brings an hour of music and song from Irish and International artists, along with new upcoming talent

11.45pm Don Lett – Dread Meets Punk Rockers (Sky Arts)
    Documentary by Don Letts exploring the links he forged between the roots reggae sounds of his Jamaican heritage and the quickly growing punk scene in London in the 1970s

11.50pm Sounds Of The Sixties (BBC4)
    including music by Sandie Shaw, Dusty Springfield, Long John Baldry, Lulu, Tom Jones, Brenton Wood, Cliff Richard, Cilla Black and Peter Sarstedt

11.55pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    From St Michael's Church in Ballina, featuring performances from the Howl and the Hum, Jesca Hoop, JC Stewart and Soda Blonde

12.20am From Elton John to Gary Barlow: Celebrating 100 Concerts Live At Eden (BBC4)
    Worst title ever. A look back over the last 18 years of the Eden Sessions. Introduced by Nile Rodgers, who headlined the 100th show, highlights include Pulp, who headlined the first one in July 2002. Set against the backdrop of the Eden biomes, there are also performances by Duran Duran, Bastille, Muse, Gary Barlow, Van Morrison, Madness, Primal Scream and Lionel Richie

12.45am Sex Pistols - There’ll Always Be An England (Sky Arts)
    2007 gig

2.15am Born In Chicago (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story of how the likes of Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf taught the blues to a host of young white proteges while working in Chicago in the 1960s

Saturday
    4pm John Lennon Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

6pm Breezin’ – The George Benson Story (Sky Arts)

7pm Hitsville - The Making Of Motown (Sky Arts)
    Rare performances, interviews and rarely seen footage come together to paint a picture of the history and origins of Motown
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/27/hitsville-the-making-of-motown-review-60th-birthday-tribute

8.15pm Opry An Iuir le Daniel (TG4)

9pm The Apollo (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary exploring the history of the Harlem venue, with archive footage of performances by Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, Jimi Hendrix and Pharrell Williams

10.45pm The Story Of The Songs – Madonna (Channel 5)
    Documentary examining the personal and musical development of bands and artists by investigating the stories behind three of their greatest hits. Madonna’s hits being looked at are Holiday, Like a Virgin and Material Girl

11.10pm Soul America (BBC2)
    Ep 2 Say It Loud Memories of the late '60s and early '70s, a period when inequality, poverty and racism fanned the flames of radical black politics and resulted in a harder soul sound. Stax Records went from being a label built around an integrated house band to becoming a black-centric business spearheaded by Isaac Hayes' expansive, flamboyant soul symphonies. Meanwhile, the Temptations tackled socially aware subjects like the Detroit riot and absent fathers, while Marvin Gaye conceived the epic What's Going On. Narrated by Carleen Anderson, with contributions from Mavis Staples, David Porter, Al Bell, Otis Williams, Barrett Strong and Fred Wesley

11.10pm Wu Tang Clan : Of Mics And Men (Sky Arts)
    (Previously shown on Sky Documentaries) (Ep 1 & 2)
    Documentary looking back on the hip-hop group's career, revealing how its members overcame violence and poverty to form one of the most recognisable musical collectives in the world

11.45pm Abba – Secrets Of Their Greatest Hits (Channel 5)
    Like the Madonna one only this time it’s Abba. Mamma Mia, Dancing Queen and The Winner Takes It All

12.40am Top Of The Pops 1990 – Jan 18 (BBC4)
    1.10am Top Of The Pops 1990 – Jan 26 (BBC4)

Sunday
    1.25pm Anvil! The Story Of Anvil (Sky Documentaries)
    Sacha Gervasi's documentary follows Canadian rockers Anvil as they embark on one final push for fame. Despite playing a key role in the birth of speed metal and inspiring bands such as Metallica and Guns N' Roses, Anvil have never succeeded in achieving the recognition they deserved. Now in their 50s, the band head into the studio to record their 13th album and set off on a ramshackle tour of Europe

3.05pm Hitsville – The Making Of Motown (Sky Documentaries)
    As Saturday on Sky Arts

5.10pm The Go Gos (Sky Documentaries)
    A look at the revolutionary journey of the first successful, all-female band to write their own songs, play their own instruments and score number-one hits

9pm Queen – The Band That Rocked The World (Channel 5)
    The classic rock band's career highlights, from Freddie Bulsara's early days in Zanzibar, to his life-changing days as Freddie Mercury with the band Smile and eventually Queen

9.30pm Cork Folk Festival (TG4)
    Features Zoe Conway, Máirtín O'Connor & Dónal Lunny, Liam O'Brien and Conor Connolly, Roibeard Mac Créide and Ger Wolfe

10.30pm Spin: Moving Hearts (TG4)
    Philip King meets past and present members of the folk-rock band Moving Hearts, who discuss the impact of their 1981 self-titled album. Featuring contributions by Christy Moore, Declan Sinnott, Donal Lunny and Keith Donald

11pm Gregory Porter Live In Berlin 2016 (Sky Arts)

11.05pm Queen – A Night At The Odeon (Channel 5)
    The Christmas Eve 1975 gig

12.15 Barbra Streisand – Back To Brooklyn (Sky Arts)

And that's about that. Do let us know if there is anything else going on, or any ridiculous mistakes

Cliff Richard is all over the place this week - he is obsessed with Elvis Presley, he commissioned a painting of the two of them together, and he mocked up a 'duet' between them long after Elvis left the building.

But Cliff never met Elvis, he had the chance but he skipped the chance claiming “At the end of the interview (the journalist who was going to arrange it) said, ‘Shall we arrange it?’ I said, ‘Let’s wait,’ because Elvis had gone through a period of putting on a lot of weight and I just thought, if I’m gong to have me and Elvis on my refrigerator, I’d really like him to look [good],”

Alan Partridge would struggle to come up with something like that

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1045994/Cliff-Richard-Elvis-Jonathan-Ross-Show-guests-news-latest-updates

New Order are releasing an 8 episode podcast series about themselves and Joy Division starting on October 29. It has a series of special guests, even Peter Hook features in it

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/joy-division-new-order-transmissions-podcast-1073319/

I concur with the Youtube commentator who said "Couldn't get a word out of them for the first 15 years. Can't shut 'em up now" !

And finally, the Best appearance of Tom Jones as a ghost in a parody of It's A Wonderful Life, but In The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air might be this one from The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air (Comedy Central, Thursday 8pm)

Sterling work, Skid. Fair play.

TOPPERDEPOPSCH1990!!

CLA7zE2WwAIVB2U.jpg

“Genuine talent!”

:D

• Advertisement

PLAY ‘FRENCH KISS’!

Advertisement