Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Loving Enya’s new dance direction.

MEGADETH!!

tumblr_okfcrf72q71u501aoo1_400.gifv

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I was at that gig, what a line-up!

Me too! What a day. What a line up.

Grunge couldn’t arrive fast enough.

Tiers On My Pillow.

Heh. :cool:

• Advertisement

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Did Flavor Flav ever hear of a watch?

This is exactly why the 90s needed grunge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Just tuned in - what is this sunburnt acoustic guitar bollocks? I thought the decade had turned.

Lonnie Donegan has sure changed musical direction.

• Advertisement

Rustie Lee going back to her roots.

The 90s had some just awful music

Quincy Jones featuring Ray Charles and Chaka Khan

That's some studio lineup in fairness. I have no recollection whatsoever - perhaps as it sounded pretty shyte really.

At least its not Genesis

tenor.gif

I was never a fan of house music - but what were effectively instrumental dance tracks making TOTP was great. No vocal in the songs, no miming, and the show seemed a bit redundant compared to Hitman and Her.

Ah here's herself - shalom.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

TOPPERDEPOPSCH1990!!

CLA7zE2WwAIVB2U.jpg

Coca Cola soccaball! Jesus, I loved them.

BBC's ‘We’re so so so sorry, Cliff’ night begins!

BBC's ‘We’re so so so sorry, Cliff’ night begins!

They should be. It was pretty disgraceful the way they implicated him. I've switched to Aphex Twin while I wait for the White Riot documentary on Sky Arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

dasdog wrote: »
    They should be. It was pretty disgraceful the way they implicated him. I've switched to Aphex Twin while I wait for the White Riot documentary on Sky Arts.

Just starting to watch that now. (The White Riot documentary) Looks promising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

whit riot doc was excellent , would have loved to have seen more of the concert but was unaware of some of the build up to it (the extent of clapton's rant & bowie )

Early Cliff was very good particularly with The Shadows but like Elvis he was a different act when he went into movies. Move It is still a great rock n roll record!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Early Cliff was very good particularly with The Shadows but like Elvis he was a different act when he went into movies. Move It is still a great rock n roll record!

The Shadows were in the right place at the right time, fantastically creative and their sound reverbs if you'll excuse the pun till this day.

I completely missed that Clash/WR documentary last night after going down the Aphex route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Just on the TOTP reruns. I have from late 85 recorded. I finally caught up having stopped watching them last year. Did something happen with the 1989 reruns? I don't have a single one bar the top hits and year review episodes.

Oh and just on those years, 88 is really where it started going downhill for me but the early 90s were shocking altogether!! I quite enjoy the harder dance stuff but general pop really went to schit! Cant remember but was the baggy scene/madchester that big/frequent in the charts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Just on the TOTP reruns. I have from late 85 recorded. I finally caught up having stopped watching them last year. Did something happen with the 1989 reruns? I don't have a single one bar the top hits and year review episodes.

Oh and just on those years, 88 is really where it started going downhill for me but the early 90s were shocking altogether!! I quite enjoy the harder dance stuff but general pop really went to schit! Cant remember but was the baggy scene/madchester that big/frequent in the charts?
    It was very big in 89/90. I like a lot of that stuff. I think music on this side of the Atlantic started going downhill with Britpop and at the same time the rise of Boy/girl bands a bit later in the decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It was very big in 89/90. I like a lot of that stuff. I think music on this side of the Atlantic started going downhill with Britpop and at the same time the rise of Boy/girl bands a bit later in the decade.

In the late 80s in UK you have Stock Aitken Waterman dominating the singles charts.
    The boy.girl bands to me are the continuation of that.
    Britpop if anything was a reaction against that.

For retro vibe Kylie, Jason, Sonia et al are fun on TOTP but would never have listened to an album of their stuff back in the day.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello, Jazz and Reggae are on the menu this weekend with another chance to see an old very good Glen Campbell Doc. All sorts of other things on offer too, including The Go Gos, James Brown and Horslips ...

Thursday
    9pm Glor Tire – John Hogan (TG4)

9pm The Go-Gos (Sky Documentaries)
    A look at the revolutionary journey of the first successful, all-female band to write their own songs, play their own instruments and score number-one hits

10.40pm Glen Campbell – The Rhinestone Cowboy (BBC4)
    An insight into the life of country music star Glen Campbell, documenting his remarkable journey from an impoverished childhood to worldwide fame and success as a guitarist and singer with records including Wichita Lineman and Rhinestone Cowboy. Featuring contributions by family, friends and colleagues including Jimmy Webb, Micky Dolenz and Bob Harris

Midnight Urban Myths – Hendrix and Handel (Sky Arts)
    Jimi Hendrix moves into his first real home in London, which turns out to be the same building that George Frideric Handel lived in 246 years before, and the guitarist has a transformative moment when he sees the composer's ghost. Comedy drama, starring Zach Wyatt and David Haig

12.30am Discovering Music – Jimi Hendrix (Sky Arts)

1am Guy Garvey: From The Vaults – 1975 (Sky Arts)

Friday
    7pm & 3am The Sound Of Movie Musicals With Neil Brand (BBC4)
    The composer and musician fronts a three-part series on the movie musical, from Hollywood to China and the USSR, and from Snow White and Gene Kelly to Grease and La La Land.In this opening episode, Brand argues that the movie musical was the most important form of cinema from the advent of the age of sound

7pm Trailblazers – Punk (Sky Arts)

8pm Soundtracks – Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    Space Age Songs from Bowie, The Byrds and others. I don't know if it features here, but apparently The first song played on the moon was 'Fly Me To The Moon' by Frank Sinatra. This is according to a question on The Chase this week

8pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – February 2 (BBC4)
    Bruno Brookes hosts the edition first aired on February 2, with performances by artists including Sybil, Eurythmics, Skid Row, Cher, Sinead O'Connor and the House of Love

8.30pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – February 9 (BBC4)
    Gary Davies hosts the edition first aired on February 8, with performances by artists including Phil Collins, the Beloved, Janet Jackson, Del Amitri and Beats International featuring Lindy Layton

9pm & 1.45am Count Basie Through His Own Eyes (BBC4) New!
    New film about Band Leader and Pianist Count Basie, through Basie's intimate footage and letters this film reveals the passions and ambitions that inspired the world-famous musician. Count Basie did the arrangement of that Frank Sinatra song on Apollo 11. He wasn't actually on the moon, he worked on the song which was on Buzz Aldrin's tape.

9pm Guy Garvey: From The Vaults – 1988 (Sky Arts)
    The Elbow frontman introduces performances from 1988, featuring TV appearances by Sinead O'Connor, Tracy Chapman, Pixies, Public Enemy, Run-DMC and Happy Mondays. Last in series

10pm Suzi Q (Sky Arts)
    Film exploring the story of inspirational rocker Suzi Quatro, from the many female artists she influenced, to the family tensions that resulted from her huge ambition and success

10pm Later … with Jools Holland (BBC2)
    Featuring Celeste, The Lathums and Joesef. Buzz Aldrin was interviewed years later and he couldn't remember anything at all about playing Frank Sinatra on the moon. So it may not be true, which is a shame https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/buzz-aldrin-astronaut-frank-sinatra-fly-me-moon-landing-myth-a8997026.html

10.20pm Blue Note Records – Beyond The Notes (BBC4)
    Doc about the legendary Blue Note Jazz Music Label. This documentary delves behind the scenes to look at the pioneering label that gave voice to some of the finest jazz artists of the 20th and 21st centuries

11.30pm Film Get On Up (Channel 4)
    Biopic of James Brown, examining key moments in the soul singer's life, from his impoverished childhood in South Carolina to his rise to become one of the most influential figures in music history, and following his intense friendship with fellow singer Bobby Byrd. Starring Chadwick Boseman, with Viola Davis, Nelsan Ellis and Octavia Spencer. IMDB reviews, as ever, are mixed “ The film has unexpected rhythms that never let go and build to the astonishing, electrifying re-creation of Brown's Paris concert that - even on second viewing - had me jumping out of my seat, fist-pumping the air and screaming, "YES!" “ while another says “ I wasn't expecting a mind-blowing cinematographic experience, and it sure wasn't one. So, I guess I'll just go home and play some of his songs and that'll help erase the movie from my mind.”

11.40pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Performances by Whitney, Joy Crookes, Ye Vagabonds and Anna Mieke at St James' Church in Dingle . Buzz Aldrin later did a collaboration with Snoop Doggy Dogg, the guy from the Just-Eat adverts

11.45pm Jazz Piano Gold (BBC4)
    Archive footage of performances from 1964 to 2009 by artists including Count Basie, Thelonious Monk, Oscar Peterson, Abdullah Ibrahim, Stan Tracey, Jacques Loussier, Duke Ellington, Return to Forever and Herbie Hancock. Clips are taken from shows such as Jazz 625 and Later with Jools Holland

Midnight Hitsville – The Making of Motown (Sky Arts)
    Rare performances, interviews and rarely seen footage come together to paint a picture of the history and origins of Motown

11.50pm Cork Folk Festival (RTE2)
    features Zoe Conway, Máirtín O'Connor & Dónal Lunny, Liam O'Brien and Conor Connolly, Roibeard Mac Créide and Ger Wolfe

12.45am Hot Chocolate At The BBC (BBC4)

2am The Apollo (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the history of the Harlem venue, with archive footage of performances by Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, Jimi Hendrix and Pharrell Williams. Count Basie played here too, as well as on Apollo 11

Saturday
    4pm Fairport Convention – Folk Heroes (Sky Arts)
    Probably the best/only Fairport Convention Doc In The World Ever

5.30pm Queen Live In Milton Keynes (Sky Arts)

6.30pm Toots And The Maytals – From The Roots (Sky Arts)
    The story of Jamaican musician Frederick 'Toots' Hibbert, who helped define reggae and ska with his band the Maytals. Featuring performance and backstage footage of the group

7pm Top Of The Pops – Big Hits 1964-1975 (Yesterday)

8pm Rudeboy – The Story Of Trojan Records (Sky Arts)
    Docudrama exploring the origins and impact of the Jamaican label, which provided the musical soundtrack that inspired and influenced a new generation of British youth

8.15pm Opry An Iuir le Daniel (TG4)
    With Mike Denver. And Mike Denver’s Mother

9.20pm Film: Country Strong (TG4)
    A recovering alcoholic country singer comes out of rehab intending to resurrect her flagging career. She finds an ally in an ambitious songwriter, but her return to the top is made difficult by tensions with her husband and manager and her own struggle to stay on the wagon. Drama, starring Gwyneth Paltrow, Tim McGraw and Garrett Hedlund “
    The story is too clunky and overstuffed, and its flaws are even more glaring when spotlighted against stellar country music dramas” says one random review on Rotten Tomatoes

10pm Inna De Yard (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary exploring the history, impact and cultural importance of reggae music and joining a group of pioneering reggae artists as they record an album in Jamaica

10.20pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – February 2 (BBC4)
    10.50pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – February 9 (BBC4)

11.30pm Soul America (BBC2)
    Ep 3 of 3 How, in the '70s and '80s, a second coming of soul men appealed to black women. New record label Philadelphia International was born that would also soften soul's hard edges. It was home to Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, saw the emergence of Teddy Pendergrass and incorporated the O'Jays, who embodied a message of love and togetherness. Marvin Gaye went to work on his follow-up to What's Going On, shifting focus from the streets to the bedroom with Let's Get It On. Barry White's deep baritone also put both black and white audiences 'in the mood'.

Midnight Wu-Tang Clan – Of Mics And Men (Sky Arts)
    Eps 3&4, the high point of their fame and their legacy

12.55am Windmill Lane Sessions (TG4)
    With The Four of Us, O Emperor and Mary Coughlan

1.15am Autopsy USA – George Michael (VM1)

1.20am Hip Hop Evolution (Sky Arts)
    Another chance to see Ice-T and NWA and the lads talk about the good old days. Or something like that

1.50am The Backstreet Boys -Show Em What You’re Made Of (RTE1)
    Someone called Kevin Richardson returns to the band in 2012, possibly the same Kevin Richardson who won the League with Everton in 1985, who knows?

2.20am Guy Garvey: From The Vaults – 1988 (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    9pm Abba In Their Own Words (Channel 5)
    Abba Doc. Warning – features Nei Se#@/a
    Followed by Abba live at Wembley Arena 1979

9.30pm Cork Film Festival (TG4)
    Doireann Ní Ghlacáin brings an hour of music and song from Irish and International artists, along with new upcoming talent. There isn’t much on on Sunday, I was tempted to list ‘The Nolans Go Cruising’ which is on Really at 7pm but things are bad enough without that

10pm Hamilton - One Shot To Broadway (Sky Arts)
    Doc about the musical Hamilton

10.30pm Spin – Horslips (TG4)
    Philip King heads to Tipperary to meet Horslips members Barry Devlin and Jim Lockhart, who discuss the success of the group's 1970s release Happy to Meet, Sorry to Part, and how the album was recorded in a run-down country house. With contributions by folk legends Finbar and George Furey

11.30pm Discovering Music – Jimi Hendrix (Sky Arts)

Midnight Judy Garland by Marc Almond (Sky Arts)
    Singer Marc Almond pieces together the last days of his idol Judy Garland, whose talent and popularity was countered by a troubled home life

That's about that, as always if you have seen anything else or any mistakes do let us know

Here is a recently uploaded full episode of Non Stop Pop, RTE's TOTP clone from 1982. It features Jimmy Smyth and the Bogey Boys, showband Gina Dale Haze and the Champions, Pop Mecanics, Rob Strong, and The Blades. Thanks to Hangdogroad who posted it on this thread in All Things Retro
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106794922

And finally, the Best chance of hearing the intro to I Got You Babe By Sonny And Cher Over And Over Again might be in Groundhog Day which is on Dave on Sunday at 5.55pm

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Americanisms

Ah, random BBC Four music documentaries, the new nightclub on a Saturday night!

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    In the late 80s in UK you have Stock Aitken Waterman dominating the singles charts.
    The boy.girl bands to me are the continuation of that.
    Britpop if anything was a reaction against that.

For retro vibe Kylie, Jason, Sonia et al are fun on TOTP but would never have listened to an album of their stuff back in the day.

I highly recommend the Chart Music Podcast :)

https://chartmusiccouk.wordpress.com/

Al Needham and various former Melody Maker journalists (Simon Price, Taylor Parkes, Neil Kulkarni) take old episodes of TOTP and dissect them - everything from the presenters to the performances to the layout.

They’ve looked at a few from the 1988-91 era - absolutely hilarious :D

Advertisement