Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Alan Moore playing bass for Phil?

MV5BZGRhNmE0NWMtNzBkNS00MDEzLWIxNjMtNWYwYzMyMWFmMGIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTExNDQ2MTI@._V1_.jpg

_iLQ-e.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Blimey, I remember this 'Instant Replay' tune. Shocking stuff. Early 90's was so dodgy!

Christ that was awful. 1990 was not a bad year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,905 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Skid X wrote: »
    9.20pm Film: Country Strong (TG4)
    A recovering alcoholic country singer comes out of rehab intending to resurrect her flagging career. She finds an ally in an ambitious songwriter, but her return to the top is made difficult by tensions with her husband and manager and her own struggle to stay on the wagon.

Based on a true story

530371.jpg
    Here is a recently uploaded full episode of Non Stop Pop, RTE's TOTP clone from 1982.

I remember that, awful stuff. The set looked like bits stolen off a building site. Could RTE not afford any captions?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Did Lisa find her baby?

She's no fûckin' chance now, the records have been sealed for 30 years :eek:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Aside from the not so great narration that Count Basie documentary put a real smile on my face. If I had a time machine seeing his band arranged by Quincy Jones with Frank Sinatra on vocals would be high on the list of shows to see.

Can you not just go back to last year and find that fcuker who ate a bat?

And I don't mean Ozzy :P

Hard disks on our PVRs are really filling up since we got Sky Arts :eek: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Hard disks on our PVRs are really filling up since we got Sky Arts :eek: :)

Excellent!

Enjoyed those couple of documentaries. Jazz is alien to this isle - devils music at one point according to De Valera but it's the basis for so much and there are so many brilliant albums.

• Advertisement

So that's another thing himself and Hitler had in common!

Fair play to whoever it was who suggested that that jazz festival should be called "Down With Jazz" :)

Dub night would be a better cause

Watched the White Riot documentary tonight, excellent and terrifying at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Plode

Just finished Ken Burns' country music series.

WTF, I love country music now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Plode wrote: »
    Just finished Ken Burns' country music series.

WTF, I love country music now!!

He has a Jazz one too.
    And the soundtrack to his civil war series is affecting... I hear Ashokan farewell at funerals now.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A couple of hours of Abba starting now on Channel 5

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Not terrestrial tv based but I watched the new Springsteen documentary on Apple tv... Nice run through the new album, Letter to You, and the making of it

The trailer has just ‘dropped’, as the kids say nowadays...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello again, this week sees that new Style Council Doc on Sky Arts, and it's pretty much Weller Weekend on that channel with lots of similar shows

BBC2 has Jarvis Cocker on with Jools, BBC4 couldn't be arsed and most of the channels are putting out vaguely Halloween themed shows. For example, on Saturday Night you can see the original version of Poltergeist follow by the pointless remake of Poltergeist on different channels. But here are the music shows ...

Wednesday
    11.10pm Sing It Loud – Black And Proud (Channel 4)
    From the legendary Ronnie Scott's venue, Maya Jama presents a one-off celebration for Black History Month, with some of the UK's finest gifted young jazz musicians. Zara McFarlane, Ashley Henry, Poppy Ajudha, Reuben James and Ayanna Witter-Johnson all take to stage to perform their own interpretations of iconic black protest anthems from Nina Simone, Stevie Wonder, Billie Holiday, Marvin Gaye and James Brown

Thursday
    4pm Music Icons – Journey (Sky Arts)
    4.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star – Lou Reed (Sky Arts)

7.30pm Sean Nos (TG4)
    Featuring sean-nós singers from every Gaeltacht

9pm Amhrain Is Ansa Liom (TG4)
    Nollaig Ní Laoire, the winner of Corn Uí Riada in 2010, is in the studio singing her favourite sean-nós songs

9.30pm Cerys Mathews A’r Goeden Faled (S4C)
    Ep 1 of 6 The musician looks into the origins of songs, which either originated in Wales or have strong connections with the Land of Song, beginning with the stories behind Men of Harlech and Myfanwy. In Welsh, probably

12.30am Urban Myths – Bob Dylan (Sky Arts)
    Music legend Bob Dylan decides to pay an impromptu visit to his friend and fellow musician Dave Stewart. Unfortunately the Eurhythmics star isn't in, but his wife Ange reveals he will be back shortly and asks Bob if he'd like to have a cup of tea and wait for him. Comedy, starring Eddie Marsan, Paul Ritter and Katherine Parkinson

1am Guy Garvey From The Vaults – 1988 (Sky Arts)
    featuring TV appearances by Sinead O'Connor, Tracy Chapman, Pixies, Public Enemy, Run-DMC and Happy Mondays.

Friday
    4pm Music Icons – Marvin Gaye (Sky Arts)
    4.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star – Crowded House (Sky Arts)

7pm & 3am The Sound Of Movie Musicals With Neil Brand (BBC4)
    Ep 2 of 3 Post World War II ‘Golden Age’ of Musicals with Gene Kelly and that lot

7pm Trailblazers – Nuclear Protest Songs (Sky Arts)

8pm Soundtracks – Song That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    Battle Of The Sexes

8pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – February 15 (BBC4)
    Anthea Turner hosts the edition first aired on February 15, with performances by artists including Sinead O'Connor, The Wedding Present and Black Box

8.30pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – February 22 (BBC4)
    Mark Goodier hosts the edition first aired on February 22, with performances by artists including Tina Turner, Beats International and Adam Ant

9pm & 1.30am Pop Charts Britannia – 60 Years Of The Top 10 (BBC4)
    The evolution of feelings and attitudes toward the British singles chart. Documenting changes from the 1952 NME countdown via Pick and Top of the Pops through to the Radio 1 chart show of 2012. With contributions from chart show presenters David Jacobs and Reggie Yates, music fans Grace Dent and Pete Paphides and veteran musicians Jon Webster and Rob Dickins

9pm Brian Johnson Meets Dave Grohl (Sky Arts)
    Two Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees come together as AC/DC singer Brian Johnson chats with Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl about life on the road

10pm Later … With Jools Holland (BBC2)
    Jools chats to Pulp frontman Jarvis Cocker about his musical journey, illustrated by a selection of clips from the Later archive. No stranger to Later and the Hootenanny, Cocker has performed on the show five times, the last in 2006 with music from his debut solo release. There are also performances by debutants Greentea Peng and Working Men's Club

10.30pm The Story Of The Jam – About The Young Idea (Sky Arts)
    Excellent Documentary about the band, who were at the forefront of the late-1970s punk-mod scene, tracing the group's history from formation in 1975 to its end in 1982. Featuring interviews with frontman Paul Weller, bassist Bruce Foxton and drummer Rick Buckler, as well as archive performances. Tomorrow on Sky Arts - A Doc which is a poor imitation of this one which panders to Weller's ego

10.30pm Stevie Wonder – A Musical History (BBC4)
    Videos of Stevie Wonder performances with some people talking about it

11.05pm Cork Folk Festival (TG4)

11.30pm ... Sings Stevie Wonder (BBC4)
    Featuring artists including Cilla Black, Jimmy Helms, Dionne Warwick, the Osmonds, India Arie and James Morrison

12.15am The Jam Live At Rockpalast 1980 (Sky Arts)

12.30am BBC Radio 2 Live In Concert – Dido (BBC4)

2am Inna De Yard (Sky Arts)
    Reggae Doc which was on last week

Saturday
    6pm Duran Duran – A Diamond In The Mind (Sky Arts)
    2011 gig from Manchester

7pm Fleetwood Mac – Don’t Stop (Yesterday)
    Decent Doc, they all contribute to it

8pm David Bowie - Finding Fame (Yesterday)
    The third part of Francis Whatley’s Bowie Trilogy, which looks at his early years

8pm Pet Shop Boys Live From The O2 2009(Sky Arts)

8.15pm Opry An Iuir (TG4)
    With Crystal Gayle, Susan McCann and Gloria
    Crystal Gayle might be singing Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue. I don’t know that for certain, but she probably got asked to do it

9pm Long Hot Summers – The Story Of The Style Council (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary about the band that Paul Weller formed after the Jam split up in 1982, with insight from key members, collaborators and fans.
    https://www.withguitars.com/the-style-council-to-release-long-hot-summers-the-story-of-the-style-council/

10.25pm TOTP2 Halloween Special (BBC4)
    Including performances by the Automatic, the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Ray Parker Jr, Bobby 'Boris' Pickett and Michael Jackson

10.30pm Paul Weller: May Love Travel With You (Sky Arts)
    Solo gig from The Royal Festival Hall

10.55pm Film: Whitney (Channel 4)
    Documentary exploring the life and music of Whitney Houston, exploring her rise to fame and struggles with addiction that led to her death at the age of 48. Featuring previously unseen archive footage and demo recordings, as well as contributions from family and friends, including ex-husband Bobby Brown and The Bodyguard co-star Kevin Costner

11.30pm The Story Of The Jam – About The Young Idea (Sky Arts)
    Another chance to see the Doc about the only decent band Weller was ever a part of

1.15am Brian Johnson Meets Dave Grohl (Sky Arts)

1.25am Top Of The Pops 1990 – February 15 (BBC4)
    1.55am Top Of The Pops 1990 – February 22 (BBC4)

Sunday
    4pm Frank Sinatra Live From Madison Square Garden 1974 (Sky Arts)

9pm Coldplay Live In Sao Paolo 2017 (Sky Arts)
    I forgot to mention last week that the clocks were going back, sorry about that.

9pm Elvis - The Man Who Rocked The World (Channel 5)
    With the aid of archive footage and talking heads, the story of Elvis Presley's remarkable success, through the prism of his finest and most memorable moments. The show traces his roots, and his rise to fame as one of the most famous music stars of all time

9.30pm Cork Folk Festival (TG4)
    features Eliza Carthy, the Four Star Trio, Sarah O'Gorman, Michelle O'Sullivan and Conal Mac Thréinfhir with Paul De Grae

11.15pm Spin – De Danann (TG4)
    Philip King travels to Galway to renew his friendship with the people of De Danann. He thinks back to the early 1980s and the release of The Star Spangled Molly

11.15pm Muse Live At Rome Olympic Stadium 2013 (Sky Arts)

And that's more or less that, if you have seen anything else do let us know

The Teenage Cancer Trust has recently uploaded a number of unseen performances from the regular concerts they put on. Some decent videos there including a Mr N. Rodgers of Chic. It's all for charity

https://www.youtube.com/c/TCTUnseen/videos

A rather excellent Youtube channel has just posted what appears to be all 8 episodes of the 1978 ATV/ITV Music Show 'Revolver', hosted by Peter Cook (bizarrely)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL18mKvbY-QFcKlkDadgFrRZJHNZ1N1HMw

Full details of who appears in which episode is listed here https://nostalgiacentral.com/music/music-on-film-and-tv/revolver/

And finally, the Best chance of hearing the intro to I Got You Babe By Sonny And Cher Over And Over Again might be in Groundhog Day which is on Dave on Sunday at 5.55pm 2.55pm. Ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

For no reason whatsoever, here's this.

Came across it while browsing.

• Advertisement

The trailer has just ‘dropped’, as the kids say nowadays...

Thamks for that WM.

Still waiting to see it in full.

Shane's pic in that still is based on an Andy Catlin pic.

Pissed now. Will find pic tomorrow

Skid X wrote: »
    10.30pm Stevie Wonder – A Musical History (BBC4)
    Videos of Stevie Wonder performances with some people talking about it
    sligojoek wrote: »
    Thamks for that WM.
    Pissed now. Will find pic tomorrow

Not sure which of these posts are the best I've seen all week which put a smile on my face.

Just hear Mike Flowers medley of The Velvet Underground in the last hour on the wireless which did likewise.

dasdog wrote: »
    Not sure which of these posts are the best I've seen all week which put a smile on my face.

I'm not that drunk. I just couldn't be arsed firing up a different laptop.

Having a few myself - reminiscing about live concerts. Missed Lankum in January to my shame but it was a Sunday which generally carries a hangover of sorts.

But I did get to see these whipper snappers in early March in The Grand Social.

And these balding Acid Jazz journeymen whom I hadn't seen since the mid 90's before everything shut down.

TOPPERPOPPERNINETEENNONTEEN!

David-O-Leary-Italia-90418.jpg

Black Box had more than one hit?!

tenor.gif

Eric KKKlapton.

Whoops, what an unfortunate typo.

PLAY FAITH NO MORE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Wedding Present, can remember watching this like it was yesterday.

• Advertisement

David Gedge must have been worn out after that hi-octane performance.

Advertisement