Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Chuck D - Snap

• Registered Users Posts: 72,630 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I see Dave has ditched Barbara Gaskin.

#askyourparents

TMBG! :)

"Say i'm the only bee in your bonnet" - the only weak line in the song. It was decent and original.

I'll stay tuned for the greatest voice of the 20th century - Sarah Vaughan was according to Winehouse and she would have known more about these things than I but Ella beats Sinatra and his contemporaries to my ears.

• Advertisement

dasdog wrote: »
    I wonder if Noel Gallagher was doing his roadie job at this stage for the Inspiral Carpets. The indie music is more than making up for the commercial trash.

True fact: There has been an Inspiral Carpets tribute band called The Karpets who have been touring for years. Imagine their joy when they recently found a new lead singer...Inspirals frontman Tom Hingley! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,902 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They Might Be Giants were fúcking awful.

My then GF's friend played their fúcking tape non-stop :rolleyes:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Your then GF's friend knew good music !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I played my vinyl copy of "Flood" until it nearly wore out.
    Subsequent albums, not so much...

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Bob Geldof had a great name for that band (they might be cnunts)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

It was only years later that I realised Birdhouse In Your Soul is written from the perspective of a bedroom night light.

I missed this live stream over the weekend which was part of the Adult Swim festival. Pretty eclectic lineup but Kamasi Washington and band put in a fine hour's performance.

Hello, lets have a look at what's coming up this weekend. BBC4 has another weekend of Jazz, with Miles Davis and the slight return of Jazz 625. BBC2 has a thing about an Afrobeat chap and Sky has that very long Scorcese Dylan Doc. There's the Ian Dury film on tonight and lots of Johnny Cash on offer ...

Wednesday
    10pm Film: Sex and Drugs And Rock And Roll (BBC4)
    Biopic of highly influential punk singer Ian Dury, examining his lifelong struggle with the disability caused by contracting polio as a child, and the impact his rise to fame in the late 1970s and volatile personality had on those closest to him, particularly his son Baxter. Starring Andy Serkis, Bill Milner, Naomie Harris and Olivia Williams

Thursday
    9.40pm Puttin On The Ritz (BBC4)
    Fred Astaire's definitive performance of the song and dance routine, as recorded in the late 1920s by Irving Berlin, and later featured in his 1946 musical Blue Skies

10pm CMA Country Music Awards 2020 (BBC4)
    Highlights from the 54th Annual Country Music Association Awards, staged on Wednesday November 11 at the Music City Centre in Nashville, Tennessee. The event was hosted by CMA award-winners Darius Rucker and Reba McEntire

10pm I Am Johnny Cash (Sky Arts)
    A celebration of the country singer-songwriter built around 12 of his classic tracks spanning four decades, and featuring interviews with his family and friends. Featuring contributions from Sheryl Crow, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp and Kid Rock

11pm Country At The BBC (BBC4)
    Compilation of BBC session performances by country artists from the past four decades, including Tammy Wynette, Emmylou Harris, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Charley Pride, Kris Kristofferson, Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, Alison Krauss, Taylor Swift, kd lang and Billie Jo Spears

11.20pm The Works – Lisa O’Neill (RTE1)
    John Kelly returns with a five-part series in which he meets key Irish figures from the arts and finds out how they are experiencing the new reality brought about by the pandemic. He begins by talking to Lisa O'Neill, who was born in Cavan and moved to Dublin at the age of 18, where surely but surely she began singing at various sessions. Eventually David Gray invited her to tour with him in the US. Now she has four albums to her name and earlier this year signed to London indie label Rough Trade

Friday
    7pm Trailblazers -Prog Rock (Sky Arts)

8pm Classic Albums: Pink Floyd – Dark Side Of The Moon (Sky Arts)

8pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – March 29 (BBC4)
    Nicky Campbell hosts the edition first aired on March 29, with performances by artists including Bizz Nizz, Candy Flip, Jam Tronik, Heart, Jimmy Somerville, the Family Stand, Queen Latifah and De La Soul and Snap

8.30pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – April 5 (BBC4)
    Anthea Turner hosts the edition first aired on April 5, with performances by artists including Jason Donovan, They Might Be Giants, Happy Mondays, Madonna, Queen Latifah and De La Soul, Emma, UB40, Snap and Alannah Myles

9pm Jazz 625 – The British Jazz Explosion (BBC4) New!
    The BBC Two programme Jazz 625 originally aired in the mid-1960s and featured some of the greatest legends of that era. Here, drummer Moses Boyd and 1Xtra presenter Jamz Supernova pay homage to that original run and also introduce contemporary performances by Sons of Kemet, Nubya Garcia, Kokoroko, Poppy Ajudha, Matthew Halsall, Moses Boyd and Exodus and Ezra Collective, all of whom may be considered stars of the current UK jazz explosion. Plus, short films exploring the roots of the current UK jazz scene
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000pjds

9pm Brian Johnson’s A Life On The Road – Nick Mason (Sky Arts)

10pm Top Of The Pops – The Story Of 1985 (BBC2)
    Seems like an odd slot for this, but there you go. Features Pete Waterman, Paul Hardcastle, A-Ha and others. It’s on Youtube.

10pm Icon – Music Through The Lens (Sky Arts)
    Ep2 Art directors, musicians and music photographers discuss the evolution of record sleeve photography, from its roots in jazz and rock to modern-day concepts

10.25pm Se Mo Laoch – Paddy Keenan (TG4)
    The life and career of world renowned Uilleann Piper Paddy Keenan, founder member of the iconic group The Bothy Band and a leading exponent of the 'travelling style' of Uilleann Piping

10.30pm Miles Davis – Birth Of The Cool (BBC4)
    Documentary profile of the jazz bandleader, horn player and innovator whose restless determination to break boundaries and live life on his own terms made him a star, but also made him difficult to live with. In music and in life, Davis shied away from the status quo, and when he thought his work came to represent a new convention, he changed it again. Featuring studio out-takes, archive footage and photos and Davis's own words, as well as contributions from many friends and colleagues

11.15pm-3.15am Bob Dylan – No Direction Home (Sky Arts)
    Parts 1&2. Martin Scorsese's two-part profile of the singer, featuring rare interviews and archive footage. The first half examines Dylan's formative years, with contributions by childhood friends and teachers on his earliest musical efforts and also explores his arrival on New York's thriving early 1960s folk scene and the artists who influenced his work. In Part 2 things take a dark turn. Already a phenomenon at the age of 23, Dylan struggled to find a new musical vocabulary. The old Left hoped he would be a political activist, while the media wanted him to articulate the concerns of America's youth, but neither role interested Dylan

12.25am Ronnie’s: Ronnie Scott & His World Famous Club (BBC4)
    This was on last week

2.10am CMA Country Music Awards 2020 (BBC4)
    This was on last night

3.15am David Crosby – Remember My Name (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    5pm Cyndi Lauper – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

5.55pm Ceol Chogadh Na Saoirse (TG4)
    Ep 1 of 4 Repeat of the series about songs from the War Of Independence

6.15pm I Am Johnny Cash (Sky Arts)
    As Thursday

7pm Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)

7pm Being Frank – The Chris Sievey Story (Sky Documentaries)
    Steve Sullivan's documentary explores the life and career of musician and comedian Chris Sievey, who found relative fame wearing the papier-mache head of alter ego Frank Sidebottom

8pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)

8pm Pink Floyd – A Delicate Sound Of Thunder (Sky Arts)
    1988 New York Gig

9.30pm Fela Kuti: Father Of Afrobeat (BBC2) New!
    The story of the influential African musician, who is remembered not only as the creator of the Afrobeat genre but also as an outspoken political revolutionary who criticised military regimes in his native Nigeria. A counter-cultural revolutionary, he fought injustice with his music and provoked society with his lifestyle, on one occasion marrying 27 wives in a single ceremony. Yes, 27 wives https://www.pulse.ng/entertainment/celebrities/throwbackthursday-remember-when-fela-married-his-27-wives/9k2nv9k

10pm Nick Mason – Saucerful Of Secrets (Sky Arts)
    The Pink Floyd drummer and his group featuring Gary Kemp, Guy Pratt, Lee Harris and Dom Beken take to the stage at London's Roundhouse

10.05pm Cobain – Montage Of Heck (Sky Documentaries)
    Filmmaker Brett Morgen explores the Nirvana frontman's childhood, career and tragic death, using material from the Cobains' personal archives

10.40pm The Story Of The Songs – Whitney Houston (Channel 5)
    The stories behind three of Whitney’s hits. Followed by a Doc about her demise and death

10.55pm For One Night Only – Rod Stewart (VM1)
    At the time of writing, Rod has only 3 wives

11.40pm TOTP2 – Christmas 2012 (GOLD)
    It begins

12.20am Icon: Music Through The Lens (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

1.35am Brian Johnson’s A Life On The Road – Nick Mason (Sky Arts)

1.45am TOTP2 – Christmas 2014 (GOLD)

2.35am Shane MacGowan – A Wreck Reborn (Sky Arts)
    The one where Shane gets new teeth

Sunday
    12.35pm Film Sunshine On Leith (Film4)
    The Proclaimers Musical

7pm BBC Young Jazz Musician Of The Year Final (BBC4)

7pm Johnny Cash – Behind Prison Walls (Sky Arts)
    1977 Nashville Prison gig

9pm Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert (Sky Arts)
    The 1992 Wembley big gig

9.30pm Se Mo Laoch - Seamus Begley (TG4)
    The life and career of accordion player and singer Séamus Begley, an eager storyteller known for his sharp wit and famous for pumping out music for dancers with an energy that is sometimes alarming

10pm Johnny Cash – The Man In Black (Channel 5)
    Documentary examining the unique connections the singer shared with Britain, and what made the UK such a sanctuary for him. The programme features contributions from some of those who were closest to him, from his own children to friend Elvis Costello, as well as celebrity fans including Jools Holland and Freddie Flintoff

10.30pm Teach Na Ceibhe – Capercaille (TG4)
    The Scottish band appear at The Quays in Galway.

11.05pm Johnny Cash Live In Denmark (Channel 5)
    Originally broadcast on Danish television, this 1971 concert film showcases live solo and joint performances from Johnny Cash, as well as contemporaries Carl Perkins, the Statler Brothers and the Carter Family. Among the instantly recognizable hits given an airing in Denmark are I Walk the Line, A Boy Named Sue and Folsom Prison Blues.
    There is quite a lot of it on Youtube, in a playlist

Midnight Top Of The Pops 1990 – March 29 (BBC4)

12.15am The South Bank Show Originals – Velvet Underground (Sky Arts)
    1986 interview

12.30am Top Of The Pops 1990 – April 5 (BBC4)

12.45am Pink Floyd – A Delicate Sound Of Thunder (Sky Arts)
    As Saturday

Well that's about that for this weekend. As always do let us know if you see anything else of interest in the schedule. Ah, go on.

Some good Irish music stuff posted on this Youtube Channel, well worth a look

And finally The Best appearance of Isaac Hayes performing the Wedding of Will Smith In The Fresh Prince Of The Week while performing Shaft might be this one, as featured in the Fresh Prince Of Bel Air (Comedy Central Extra, Thursday 8pm). Wasted in South Park, he was. Just the three wives for Isaac. And 14 Kids

Pointless Random Music Fact That I Found Out Only Today:

When Shakin’ Stevens played Glastonbury 2008, a group of fans carried an actual wooden green door to the front of the crowd to hold aloft for when Shaky played ‘Green Door’.

He didn’t play it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Nice one, Skid.

I always feel like I need to know more about jazz. I mean, I have a collection of jazz records - I'll list them both if ye like - but I'm never sure what tunes John Coltraine or y'know the other ones actually play.

Boo-urns!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/nov/19/fairytale-of-new-york-pogues-censored-radio-1-radio-2

Might as well play Ronan Keating’s version. :(

On second thought, don’t. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Boo-urns!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/nov/19/fairytale-of-new-york-pogues-censored-radio-1-radio-2

Might as well play Ronan Keating’s version. :(

On second thought, don’t. Ever.

Ridiculous!! Protecting the snowflakes!!

I'm expecting Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" will be next ...

Check out The Pogues response to Laurence Fox via twitter (NSFW) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,902 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah strange how Money For Nothing gets a free pass isn't it? Purely because FONY is a seasonal song methinks.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Check out The Pogues response to Laurence Fox via twitter (NSFW) :D

That'd be Spider Stacey, I'd say. He used to run the twitter acc. No better buachaill to say what he thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tonight · Thu, Nov 19 · 23:20-01:20 · 306. TalkingPics TV
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show "let's do the timewarp again"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Nice one, Skid.

I always feel like I need to know more about jazz. I mean, I have a collection of jazz records - I'll list them both if ye like - but I'm never sure what tunes John Coltraine or y'know the other ones actually play.

An old story

Stevie Wonder on a word wide tour and is playing his first gig in Tokyo. The place is absolutely packed to the rafters. In a bid to break the ice with his new audience he asks if anyone would like him to play a request. A little old Japanese man jumps out of his front row seat and shouts "Play a Jazz chord! Play a jazz chord!"

Amazed that this guy knows about the jazz influences in Stevie's varied career, the blind impresario starts to play an E minor scale and then goes into a difficult jazz melody. When he finishes the whole place goes wild. The little old man jumps up again and shouts "No, no, play a Jazz chord, play a Jazz chord!"

Although a little annoyed by this, being the professional that he is, Stevie dives straight into a jazz improvisation with his band around the B flat minor chord and really tears the place apart. The crowd goes wild with this impromptu show of his technical expertise. However, the little old man jumps up again. "No, no, no! Play a Jazz chord, play a jazz chord!"

Stevie is now really pissed off that this guy doesn't seem to appreciate his playing ability. Stevie says to him from the stage "OK wise guy, you get up here and do it!"

The little old man climbs up onto the stage, takes hold of the mike and starts to sing "A jazz chord to say I ruv you…"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭OldRio

Looking forward to the Miles doc and the new/old 625. Love that cool jazz music from the 50's and 60's. I'd recommend 'A Kind of Blue' by Miles Davis as a great starting point if you fancy a listen. It was recorded in a couple of takes.

'Nice'

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

OldRio wrote: »
    Looking forward to the Miles doc and the new/old 625. Love that cool jazz music from the 50's and 60's. I'd recommend 'A Kind of Blue' by Miles Davis as a great starting point if you fancy a listen. It was recorded in a couple of takes.

'Nice'
    That Miles doc is one of the best music docs I've seen. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

sligojoek wrote: »
    That'd be Spider Stacey, I'd say. He used to run the twitter acc. No better buachaill to say what he thinks.

The aul lad displaying his modern punk credentials :o

dhn5yfz638u51.jpg

I suppose you survive long enough you just become the new establishment.

This episode of 'What We Were Watching' on BBC4 now seems to be showing clips of odd song and dance numbers from old BBC variety shows

It is repeated next Thursday at 11.15pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Skid X wrote: »
    This episode of 'What We Were Watching' on BBC4 now seems to be showing clips of odd song and dance numbers from old BBC variety shows

It is repeated next Thursday at 11.15pm

The strangest rendition of theme from Shaft I've ever seen/heard.

TOPPITYPOPPITY!

61hnzjPRDsL._SX369_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

KEYTAR!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement

The Partyline.

DOF6iGHVAAAKkRC.jpg

Advertisement