Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Elton discreetly snaps Nikita...

...whilst sitting in a bright red open top Rolls Royce wearing a straw boater hat.

Matt Bianco.

Great songs.

Bunch of w***ers, though. :D

KING!

Of all the synth-pop trios to emerge from Oslo, a-ha are definitely my favourite. :)

This version of ‘Stairway To Heaven’ is horrible.

Randy California must be spinning in his grave. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Phil and Boon Gould thinking to themselves that this is way too poppy for us, we’ll be out of here soon.

‘Road To Nowhere’

Oh yeah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

‘Road To Nowhere’

Oh yeah :)

Was at LCD Soundsystem the other night and Sh1t Robot, DJing the warm up, played the Slippery People 12"..
    Went down great..

(He also played the 12" version of Pull Up to the Bumper, which might be of interest to the Pop Pickers of this thread)

I was regretfully thinking of my brother's record collection, which included both 12s, which he got rid of for a pittance when he retired from DJing...

Elton be creepin’!

Goldie’s interjections are seriously annoying in The Agony and The Ecstacy, for me anyway. Great programme otherwise.

• Advertisement

Rick Wakeman battling Neil Sedaka for airtime on BBC Four Friday nights :pac:

Good documentary though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

I enjoyed the South African episode of the African documentary series. The last one is centring around Mali. I immersed myself in East and West African music a few years ago for a while after discovering www.awesometapes.com - the series is skipping Ethiopia unfortunately where the best African 70's/80's funk and jazz was recorded ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,992 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Phil and Boon Gould thinking to themselves that this is way too poppy for us, we’ll be out of here soon.

Ugh, Level 42 sucked donkey balls. And playing a bass above your nipples is a sign of a total w**ker :)

Didn't they get their name from a fictitious band seen in the chart in a music shop in A Clockwork Orange? Ah no wait that was Heaven 17. Who were really good...

Loved Talking Heads and although I like David Byrne's work since, still can't forgive him for forcing TH to break up. Great bands are always more than the sum of their parts.

I used to think that a lyric in "Slippery People" was "I'm having a w**k, sitting in the tub" when it was actually "I remember when..."

All you loser 80s synth bands, listen and weep.

Ah fuggit, might as well post this one too... BANNED BY THE BBC lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

dasdog wrote: »
    I enjoyed the South African episode of the African documentary series. The last one is centring around Mali. I immersed myself in East and West African music a few years ago for a while after discovering www.awesometapes.com - the series is skipping Ethiopia unfortunately where the best African 70's/80's funk and jazz was recorded ;)

It's been very good so far.

Difficulty for me is that there's so much of it I'm not familiar with, so it's hard to know where to start. I'll even have to watch both episodes we've seen so far again before tracking any of it down.

Can you revommend one - just one! - of the Ethiopian ones to try out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It's been very good so far.

Difficulty for me is that there's so much of it I'm not familiar with, so it's hard to know where to start. I'll even have to watch both episodes we've seen so far again before tracking any of it down.

Can you revommend one - just one! - of the Ethiopian ones to try out?

Getatchew Mekurya or the King of Ethiopian Jazz, Mulatu Astake who played the Sugar Club last year and is back in Vicar Street this September. My jaw dropped when I saw he was still gigging. Amazing to see him once and delighted to be going again.

For some inexplicable reason I was thinking about this song the other day.

Mixes rap with some nice African electric guitar.

The term 'ebonettes' might not be totally PC these days, however...

Decent-looking documentary just started on Sky Arts about the US Festival 1982.

What a line-up!

Oingo Boingo, The Ramones, B-52’s, Talking Heads, The Police, Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, The Kinks... :)

36 years later, this guy will be performing with Shaggy on ‘All Round To Mrs. Brown’s’.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It was looking a bit waffley there for a while but Kate P and The Cars are making it for me. That first Cars album was class.

Decent-looking documentary just started on Sky Arts about the US Festival 1982.

What a line-up!

Oingo Boingo, The Ramones, B-52’s, Talking Heads, The Police, Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, The Kinks... :)

Don't have Sky Arts but watched a trailer on youtube.

THE. SIZE. OF. THE. FECKING. CROWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello, on Friday BBC4 goes with World Music while Sky Arts goes large on Acid House, which makes a more demented looking schedule than usual below. Sky shows old Isle of Wight footage to plug their live-ish coverage of the 2018 edition next weekend. New Glastonbury doc on Sky and new Elton John tribute concert on RTE, one of those that looks good on paper but probably won't be on screen ...

Thursday
    9.30am Discovering Music - The Doors (Sky Arts)

2.30pm Discovering Music - James Brown (Sky Arts)

10.45pm Come Together: The Rise Of The Festival (Sky Arts)
    Documentary examining the evolution of the music festival, from Newport, Monterey Pop, Woodstock and Isle of Wight in the 1960s to modern events such as Glastonbury and Coachella

12.15am The Us Festival 1982: The Us Generation (Sky Arts)
    The story of Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak's 1982 music festival in California headlined by the world's biggest acts including The Police and Fleetwood Mac

2.30am Mali Blues (Sky Arts)
    Documentary following four musicians as they prepare for a concert in their home country of Mali, which has become increasingly subject to Sharia law

Friday
    9am & 2pm Discovering Music - Stevie Wonder (Sky Arts)

9.30am Discovering Music - James Brown (Sky Arts)

7pm Live From The Artists Den - Sheryl Crow (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1985 - November 21st (BBC4)
    Janice Long and Paul Jordan introduce performances by Madness, Wham!, Dee C Lee, Lionel Richie, Doug E Fresh, Feargal Sharkey and Midge Ure. First aired on 21 November

8pm TOTP2 Summertime Special (BBC4)
    Featuring songs by John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John, the Undertones, Shaggy, Bananarama, Bobby Goldsboro, Bay City Rollers, Fun Boy Three, the Style Council and Don Henley. Other archive sizzlers include DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, the Sundays, Sabrina, Chris Rea, the Barracudas, Zoe, Martha and the Muffins, Bryan Adams, Girls Aloud and ELO

8pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Guns N Roses (Sky Arts)
    Director Andy Morahan and former Guns N' Roses drummer Matt Sorum discuss making the videos for the band's singles November Rain, Don't Cry, Estranged, Welcome to the Jungle and Garden of Eden

8.30pm Discovering Music - Jimi Hendrix (Sky Arts)

9pm & 12.30am Classic Albums: Paul Simon - Graceland (BBC4)
    The writing and recording of Paul Simon's Graceland, featuring tracks such as Diamonds on the Sole of Her Shoes. Since its 1986 release this album, with its blend of Western sounds and African rhythms, has changed the course of rock music. Contributors include composer Philip Glass

9.30pm Hip Hop Evolution (Sky Arts)
    Ep4/4 A look at how Ice-T and NWA put West Coast rap on the map by documenting the reality of life in South Central LA, while Dr Dre topped the charts with The Chronic. Last in the series

10pm & 3am Africa: A Journey Into Music - Mali (BBC4)
    Rita Ray travels to Mali in west Africa, home to a deep musical culture and ancient instruments that are the hallmark of their sound. Mali has produced more Grammy-winning artists than any other African country and this well of talent has drawn in artists and producers from around the world to collaborate with its musicians. While the country has been rocked by Islamist insurgency leading to a ban on music in some areas, Rita finds a traditional way of life and rich musical culture has endured. Last in the series

10pm & 2am The Agony & The Ecstasy (Sky Arts)
    Ep 3/3 From Rave to Riches DJ Paul Oakenfold shines a light on the people and events that turned dance music into a multibillion-pound industry and asks what is next

11pm The Agony & The Ecstasy - The Afterparty Playlist (Sky Arts)
    DJ Dave Pearce compiles his top 20 acid house tracks, showcasing the people and sounds that were at the very heart of the rave revolution

11pm Kings of 70s Romance (BBC4)
    Lesley Joseph narrates a documentary celebrating unlikely sex symbols from the world of pop in the 1970s, when the songs of Gilbert O'Sullivan, Barry White, Leo Sayer, David Soul and Demis Roussos conjured up images of candle-lit dinners, red roses and cosy nights in. Featuring contributions by Gloria Hunniford and Martha Kearney

12.30am Video Killed The Radio Star - Fatboy Slim (Sky Arts)

1.30am How To Be A World Music Star - Buena Vista, Bhundu Boys and Beyond (BBC4)
    An insight into how the British public's hunger for new, exciting music in the 1980s gave rise to what eventually came to be called world music, a genre previously defined merely as an exotic curiosity rather than an alternative to mainstream tunes. Producers and broadcasters including Andy Kershaw, Joe Boyd and Nick Gold reveal how audiences developed an ear for melodies from beyond Britain's shores, including the works of le Mystere des Voix Bulgares, Salif Keita, Youssou N'Dour, Baaba Maal, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Buena Vista Social Club

3am Rock and Roll: Excess (Sky Arts)
    Ep 9/10 A look at the extremes of rock 'n' roll, from the loudest and wildest bands to the biggest concerts. Featuring contributions by Tony Visconti, Rick Wakeman and Martin Kemp

Saturday
    4.30pm Festival No.6 (Sky Arts)
    Highlights of the music, arts and culture event held at Portmeirion in Gwynedd, featuring performances by Mogwai, the Flaming Lips and a special 50 Years of Sgt Pepper's tribute

6pm-9pm Isle Of Wight Festival 2017 (Sky Arts)
    A look back at the highlights of the event from Seaclose Park last year,
    6-7pm featuring tracks by Run DMC, Rag 'n' Bone Man and David Guetta
    7-8pm Arcade Fire, the Kooks and Catfish and the Bottlemen
    8-9pm Bastille, George Ezra and Rod Stewart

7pm Ultimate Covers at the BBC (Yesterday)

8pm Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop (Yesterday)
    Documentary looking back over the band's long career, from the early blues outfit led by Peter Green in the late 1960s, to their reincarnation in the 1970s with the line-up that went on to record the 40-million-selling album Rumours. Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks reveal the truth behind the successes, failures and relationships that have characterised their music and made them one of the most enduring acts in popular music

9pm Isle Of Wight Top 20 (Sky Arts)
    Memorable performances from the festival's history to mark its 50th anniversary, featuring Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Pink, the Strokes, Rod Stewart and Sex Pistols

9pm Big in America: British Hits in the USA (Yesterday)

10pm Exotic Pop at the BBC (Yesterday)

10.45pm Later with Jools Holland (BBC2)
    https://twitter.com/BBCLater/status/1006189003014656002

10.45pm Elton John - I'm Still Standing: A Grammy Salute (RTE1) New!
    A tribute concert from Madison Square Garden in Manhattan, New York City, with artists including Ed Sheeran, Chris Martin, Sam Smith, Lady Gaga, John Legend, Miley Cyrus and Kesha performing a selection of Elton John's hits, with the singer-songwriter taking to the stage himself in a glittering finale. These type of concerts are usually rotten.

11pm Top Of The Pops 1985 - November 21st (BBC4)
    As Friday

11pm The Who Live at The Isle Of Wight 1970 (Sky Arts)
    The band's performance at the festival in August 1970, featuring hits I Can't Explain, My Generation and Magic Bus as well as tracks from their double album Tommy

11.30pm Killing Me Softly - The Roberta Flack Story (BBC4)
    A documentary profile of the American singer, best known for her early 1970s hits such as The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, Where Is the Love and Killing Me Softly with His Song. The programme documents her middle class upbringing, born out of the self-contained hub of a segregated country, and her relative late breakthrough, occurring in her mid thirties. As a solo and duet artist she had her detractors for adapting her style to white traditions, but eventually won over a nation with her soft, gentle tones. Contributors include Dionne Warwick, Johnny Mathis and Cissy Houston, as well as several reflections from Flack herself

12.55am Rock and Roll - Worship (Sky Arts)
    Ep 10/10 A look at the role of hero worship in rock 'n' roll, with music and interviews from David Crosby, Gene Simmons, Anthrax, Sting, Bob Geldof and Shaun Ryder

2.25am The Agony & The Ecstasy - The Afterparty Playlist (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

Sunday
    9am Repeats of Yesterday's Music Shows that were on yesterday (Yesterday)

7pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Fatboy Slim (Sky Arts)

7.30pm Madness Live At The House Of Common (Sky Arts)
    2016 Concert from Clapham Common

9pm Lost In Vagueness (Sky Arts) New! ** Sky Arts on Twitter says this has been moved to 10pm but schedules haven't been updated yet
    The story of Glastonbury's former anarchic after-hours party area Lost Vagueness, featuring contributions by Fatboy Slim, Suggs, Keith Allen and Kate Tempest

10.50pm Isle Of Wight Top 20 (Sky Arts)
    As Saturday

12.50am Pearl Jam - Let's Play Two (Sky Arts)
    Documentary chronicling the American rock band's performances at Chicago's Wrigley Field during 2016, when the Chicago Cubs baseball team won their first World Series since 1908

3.10am Hip Hop Evolution (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

Duran Duran Night coming in two weeks on BBC4 https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-44354443 , details to follow in due course

RTE Radio 1's Doc on One this week features Prince At The Castle (Saturday, 2pm), the story of Prince's troubled Malahide Castle gig in 2011. Should be available to listen back/download after broadcast https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2018/0608/969084-prince-at-the-castle/

A film I thought I would never see on Television again makes a surprise appearance and the only song that is suitable for work which I can link to in Blazing Saddles, which you can see on RTE1 Saturday Night at 12.25am might be the theme tune. Mel Brooks persuaded Frankie Laine to sing it by giving him the impression it was a proper Western film.

Sampling the ‘Inspector Gadget’ theme tune!

Shame that hippity-hop music never caught on.

The mysterious Paul Jordan.

He ain’t no Dixie Peach. :(

TWO drummers?!

That’s just greedy, Feargal.

Maroon 5 doing a great job in that Hyundai ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

TWO drummers?!

That’s just greedy, Feargal.

To be fair, Red Box had three drummers a few weeks ago. Crazy days.

B*llocks. Forgot that Graceland yoke was on.

Just caught the end of it. Gonna dig that out tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Africa, A Journey into Music was very interesting - worth a watch if repeated. BBC4

Advertisement