Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

Elvis rocking it on the 68 comeback special on Sky Arts!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

How good was that cover of ‘Whispering Grass?’

Mmf. Darn dust in my eye :(

Loved it.

This Hootenanny is going great, some good archive mixed with new stuff. Under the circumstances they are doing better great.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Skid X wrote: »
    Happy New Year and let's hope its a better one!

Me ar$e.

I'm not watching much telly these days. But I'm recording a show or two or three each weekend.

Thanks very much for all your contributions through the year and your lovely wording of stuff before during and after the "list". Some great youtube links in there as well.

Here's to you and yours.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Me ar$e.

I'm not watching much telly these days. But I'm recording a show or two or three each weekend.

Thanks very much for all your contributions through the year and your lovely wording of stuff before during and after the "list". Some great youtube links in there as well.

Here's to you and yours.

Very kind of you sligojoek, thanks and best wishes to you and your family and friends too.

Sure it keeps me off the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

How good was that cover of ‘Whispering Grass?’

So good. And Roisin! Nailed it.

The rest was the usual MOR faux soul/blues showband ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

One I missed from Skid's listings starting now
    6.30pm The Man Comes Around – Johnny Cash In Ireland (RTE1) New!
    The story of singer Johnny Cash's tour in 1963 and his relationship with Ireland. This documentary includes some truly unique archive and first-hand accounts of a troubled time in Johnny's life, hearing from the Irish people who saw him up close

Isn't there a story of him going to a chipper in Longford after a gig in the 80's?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Just a reminder that the ozzy doc is repeated tonight on bbc2 at 12.45am.

Well the Johnny Cash documentary wasn't great - not much new, a bit fleshed out and inspired by the finding of an old audio recording.

BP Fallon sounded very frail :(

dasdog wrote: »
    Well the Johnny Cash documentary wasn't great - not much new, a bit fleshed out and inspired by the finding of an old audio recording.

Yeah, I thought the same. It was a bit padded out with anything they could find with a Johnny Cash/Ireland connection

A lot of it was covered in this radio doc from a few years ago (which was referenced in the credits)

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2018/0630/974358-johnny-cashs-lost-tour-of-ireland/

Reviewing what else is on -
    11.35pm Van Morrison Live At Montreux 1980 (TG4) New?

Not new and it's on YouTube - but possibly one of his best captured performances. Summertime in England in particular from that show is fantastic. The band are absolutely on fire and he is in James Brown mode orchestrating them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

I'm warning you! If you say "Jehovah" once more...

No one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle. Even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say Jehovah!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

dasdog wrote: »

Sounded pretty much the same as he ever did to me. His caption said “BP Fallon - musician,” which was news to me.

Hello, hope you are settling into the New Year and keeping safe and all that.
    It's been Five Years this week since Bowie died(what a surprise) so there is a lot of his stuff rolled our all over the channels. A few bits and pieces elsewhere but not a lot of new stuff yet ...

Thursday
    9pm Hup (TG4)
    Music from Termonfeckin from by Moya Brennan and Cormac de Barra, Máire Ní Chathasaigh and Chris Newman, and Michael Rooney and June McCormack

11pm Jealous Guy – The Assassination Of John Lennon (Sky Documentaries)

Friday
    7.30pm & 1am Sounds Of The Seventies (BBC4)

8pm Trailblazers – Conscience Songs (Sky Arts)

8pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – June 7 (BBC4)
    Mark Goodier hosts the edition first aired on June 7, with performances by artists including Pop Will Eat Itself, Don Pablo's Animals, Elton John, D-Shake, the Mission, Wilson Phillips, MC Tunes versus 808 State, Was (Not Was) and Roxette

8.30pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – June 14 (BBC4)
    Bruno Brookes hosts the edition first aired on June 14, with performances by artists including Guru Josh, Maureen, Snap, Maxi Priest, Bobby Brown, the Charlatans, Betty Boo, New Kids on the Block, England and New Order and 49ers

Bowie on BBC4!
    9pm & 1.30am David Bowie – The Last Five Years (BBC4)
    A portrait of David Bowie, told by the people who knew him best - his friends and artistic collaborators. It also takes a detailed look at his last albums The Next Day and Blackstar, and his play Lazarus. Through the prism of this last work, the film shows how, in his final five years, Bowie not only began producing music again but returned to the core and defining themes of his career. Among the contributors are Tony Visconti, Gail Ann Dorsey, Toni Basil and Michael C Hall

10.30pm TOTP2 – Bowie (BBC4)

Midnight The Genius Of David Bowie (BBC4)
    A compilation showcasing some of the musician's performances from the BBC archives, including Space Oddity, Life on Mars?, Fashion and The Jean Genie. Plus, Lulu and Mott the Hoople perform Bowie songs, and there are further clips featuring the star's musical collaborators Iggy Pop and Lou Reed

9pm The Art Of Drumming (Sky Arts)
    A repeat for this one
    Ep 1 tonight, continues tomorrow

10.15pm Classic Albums: Fleetwood Mac – Rumours (Sky Arts)

11.30pm -1.45am Fleetwood Mac Live In Boston 2004 (Parts 1&2) (Sky Arts)

12.40am Other Voices (RTE2)
    Former Snow Patrol guitarist Iain Archer, rising singer-songwriter Tom Baxter and indie rockers Ocean Colour Scene perform live at St James's Church in Dingle

1.10am Other Voices (RTE2)
    The Chalets, singer-songwriter Perry Blake and Sixties legend Donovan perform in St James's Church in Dingle, Co Kerry

1.45am Stevie Nicks 24 Karat Gold Tour (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    5.30pm Pet Shop Boys: Inner Sanctum – The Super Tour (Sky Arts)
    July 2018 from Sydney

7.45pm The Art Of Drumming (Sky Arts)
    Ep 2

9pm The Go-Gos (Sky Documentaries)
    Jane Wiedlin was in the Go-Gos. I found out recently she was also John Of Arc in Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure.

9pm Billy Joel Live At The Shea (Sky Arts)
    From The Shea Stadium shortly before it was knocked down, featuring Paul McCartney, Tony Bennett, Garth Brooks and John Mayer

10pm – Midnight Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)

10.45pm Cher – The Highs, The Lows And All The Hits (Channel 5)

10.55pm On The Record (Sky Documentaries)
    Film-makers Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering investigate the sexual assault allegations made against Def Jam co-founder Russell Simmons by over 20 women

11.45pm The Pretenders – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

Midnight Rolling Stones At The BBC (Yesterday)

Midnight Top Of The Pops 1990 – June 7 (BBC4)
    12.30am Top Of The Pops 1990 – June 14 (BBC4)

12.40am Jealous Guy – The Assassination Of John Lennon (Sky Documentaries)

1am Cyndi Lauper – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

1am Island At The BBC (BBC4)
    Tracks include Cat Stevens' Father and Son, Roxy Music's Do the Strand and Bob Marley and the Wailers' Stir It Up. The programme also features Steel Pulse, U2, PJ Harvey, Bob Marley, Amy Winehouse and Baaba Maal

Sunday
    5.15pm Jesus Christ Superstar Live In Concert (Sky Arts)
    With Alice Cooper and John Legend

6.20pm Na Baileid (TG4)
    Ep 1 John Spillane delves into the background of three songs from Cork and Kerry

7pm David Bowie – Serious Moonlight (Sky Arts)
    From Vancouver 1983

9pm Bowie, Prince And Other Music Legends We Lost In 2016 (Sky Arts)
    “So we have a 90 minute hole in the Sky Arts schedule on Sunday, have we anything vaguely Bowie related lying around?”

9.30pm The Chieftains Live From Montreux (TG4)
    From 1997. The RTE Guide says it finishes with ‘Did you ever go a Courtin Uncle Joe?’ where everyone does a solo. Then they come back for an encore.

10pm 13 Moments: Freddie Mercury – The Greatest Showman (Channel 5)
    Another Freddie Doc

10.30pm David Bowie - A Reality Tour 2003(Sky Arts)
    From Dublin’s Point Theatre.
    Here be the setlist from that gig, not sure how much of it is in the Sky broadcast
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-bowie/2003/point-theatre-dublin-ireland-6bd2d696.html

11.10pm Teach Na Ceibhe (TG4)
    Davy Spillane from The Quays, Galway

11.35pm Queen – A Night At The Odeon (Channel 5)
    Christmas Eve 1975 gig

11.40pm Agnetha – Abba And After (TG4)

Apparently there will some streams of Bowie's Lazarus musical on Dice.FM this weekend, although you have to pay for it and it's not available to stream afterwards

https://dice.fm/artist/david-bowie-y8xr

Alternatively you can also buy tickets to see Nathan Carter playing in an empty room there. But don't.

One of the questions on Beat The Chasers last night claimed that the Hot Chocolate Song 'No Doubt About It' is based on an alien sighting by some of the Band members

http://www.45cat.com/record/rak310

"I ask Errol about this track, As He did It In the Set that night and It felt out of place. He told Me that It Is based on a Real Incident they had In America. They were driving to the next gig and a Bright Light suddenly appeared In front of them" says Henry29, although Errol Brown didn't get a songwriting credit for it so who knows what to believe?

Jane Wiedlin's other film cameo is here in full, she was the singing telegram in the 1985 Cluedo Movie 'Clue'. Your man from Spinal Tap and the lad from The Rocky Horror Show are also in it, but here is Jane's appearance in full

So that's about that except to say the Best Bowie appearance as The Goblin King with some Muppets where a girl has to save her brother from being turned into a Goblin or something might be in Labyrinth (Comedy Central, Saturday 5pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

5.15pm Jesus Christ Superstar Live In Concert (Sky Arts)
    With Alice Cooper and John Legend

Wait...what? This sentence isn’t making sense to me. Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,900 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Another documentary im on the lookout for is 'Hey Dey The Mic Christopher story'. Such a tragic story that shows how fast life can come to an end

He grew up up the road from where I'm sitting right now, my wife's parents knew his family... :(

Haven't posted on this thread in a couple of weeks so just want to say thanks again Skid for keeping us all up to date with music on TV during the last year.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Sparks on BBC Four now :)

TOPPITYPOPPITYNINETEENNINTSCHE!

6pR0.gif

Late Late Show favourites Pop Will Eat Itself :pac: :D

Needs more Spiral Tribe :pac:

Mark Goodier dressed like Perry from Kevin and Perry!

• Advertisement

PLAY MC TUNES!

“There’s so much great dance music around.”

00235F5F00000258-0-image-a-32_1523317339208.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

... It's been Five Years this week since Bowie died(what a surprise) ...
    I see what you did there (and shed a tear :o)

PLAY N.W.A!

Mark Goodier's finest hour was being in the RokTV video on The Day Today for a nanosecond

https://www.tvcream.co.uk/100-greatest-tv-moment/46-radio-1-disc-jockey-mark-goodier/

Express Yourself - one of the only songs NWA avoided using profanities in to make it radio friendly. Play it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

****e, missed 808 State, just tuned in.

tenor.gif

Mark Goodier's finest hour was being in the RokTV video on The Day Today for a nanosecond

I ordered a vinyl copy of Ice-T's Original Gangster for my brothers birthday which shipped from Germany today - along with Hawkwind's Space Ritual.

• Advertisement

Do ‘Walk The Dinosaur’!

Advertisement