Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

BTW, Mr Talking Head himself, David Byrne is playing Dublin in October 2018 @ the place formally known as The Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

Africa, A Journey into Music was very interesting - worth a watch if repeated. BBC4
    It was very good and deserves a part deux. There is something very special about the music of Mali and their still relevant traditional instruments.
    BTW, Mr Talking Head himself, David Byrne is playing Dublin in October 2018 @ the place formally known as The Point.
    And he just seems to get better. I'm trying to convince myself not to go because gig list this year is just getting silly at this stage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Gilbert O’Sullivan!

*dives behind couch*

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Gilbert O’Sullivan!

*dives behind couch*

Sketch!

Lisa Simpson: Mr. White! Can we borrow you for a minute?

Barry White: Anything...for a lady. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Speaking of Mali, here's a show on TG4 tomorrow (I didn't notice this earlier in the week)

11.25pm Ceol and dambe i Mali
    Musicians Liam O Maonlai and Paddy Keenan travel to Mali to participate alongside African artists including Afel Bocoum and Toumani Diabate at Festival au Desert, one of the world's most remote music events

Madness live on Sky Arts right now :)

NIGHT BOAT TO CAIRO!!

*frantic running-on-spot dancing*

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

ABBA gig from 1979 on CH5+1.

Alan Partridge has the nipple clamps up to 11

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Summer night city. love it

Hi, Sky Arts are going massive on the Isle of Wight Festival this weekend. Blanket coverage all weekend of the 50th anniversary of the event (which had a brief hiatus from 1970 to 2002). Some of the coverage is also on Sky One, there's so much of it I have split all the IOW coverage into its own listings this weekend.

BBC4 is in the middle of a series of shows to commemorate Women getting the vote, they use this as an excuse to role out repeats of vaguely female related music shows.

A few other bits and bobs too, here come the listings beginning with the Sky Arts Isle of Wight FunFest ...

Isle of Wight 2018
    IWFEST-Lineup-22ndFeb-424x600.jpg

https://isleofwightfestival.com/

Thursday
    6pm Isle Of Wight Festival 2017 (Sky Arts)
    Highlights from last year featuring Arcade Fire, the Kooks and Catfish and the Bottlemen

11pm Isle Of Wight: 20 Greatest Moments (Sky Arts)
    Memorable performances from the festival's history to mark its 50th anniversary, featuring Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Pink, the Strokes, Rod Stewart and Sex Pistols

Friday
    6pm Isle of Wight Festival 2017 (Sky Arts)
    Highlights from last year featuring Rod Stewart, Bastille, George Ezra

7pm General
    Edith Bowman, Vick Hope and Joel Dommett present performances from the festival held in Seaclose Park

7.35pm -9pm Nile Rodgers & Chic

9pm-11pm - The Script

11pm-12.30am - Kasabian (Also on Sky One)

Saturday
    12pm-1pm - Highlights of Day 1 including Kasabian, Feeder and The Script

4pm-5pm - Highlights of Day 1 including Kasabian, Feeder and The Script (Sky 1, probably a repeat of the broadcast on Sky Arts shown at 12pm)

5pm-9pm General - Day 2

9pm-10pm General - Day 2

10pm-10.45pm - Liam Gallagher (Also on Sky One)

10.45pm -11.40pm - Soul II Soul (Also on Sky One)

11.40pm- Midnight - Depeche Mode (Also on Sky One)

Sunday
    12pm-1pm Highlights of Day 2

3pm Isle Of Wight: 20 Greatest Moments (Sky Arts)
    As Thursday

5pm-6.30pm General

6.30pm-9pm General

9pm-10pm Sigrid (?)

10pm-11pm Manic Street Preachers (Also on Sky One)

11pm-11.30pm Travis (Also on Sky One)

11.30pm -Midnight The Killers (Also on Sky One)

The Rest:

Thursday

9pm The Killers Live at the Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)
    A 2009 concert by the Las Vegas rock band, featuring hits including Mr Brightside, Somebody Told Me, Human and When You Were Young

1am Depeche Mode Live in Berlin (Sky Arts)
    A 2013 concert by the band at the O2 World arena, featuring tracks from 13th studio album Delta Machine, as well as hits including Personal Jesus and Policy of Truth

2.30am Rock and Roll - Worship (Sky Arts)
    Ep 10/10 A look at the role of hero worship in rock 'n' roll, with music and interviews from David Crosby, Gene Simmons, Anthrax, Sting, Bob Geldof and Shaun Ryder

Friday
    7.30pm & 3.05am Nine Simone and Me - Laura Mvula (BBC4)
    The soul singer travels to New York City to explore the songs made famous by Simone that mean the most to her, and trace the late singer's musical roots with the help of those who knew the `High Priestess of Soul'. Laura reveals the influence of Nina's classical training, meets Simone's long-time guitarist Al Shackman and performs with a Harlem gospel choir as she pays tribute to the genius of her musical heroine

9pm Girl in a Band - Tales From The Rock n Roll Front Line (BBC4)
    Journalist Kate Mossman tries to look beyond the cliches of fallen angels, grunge babes and rock chicks as she gets the untold stories from rock's front line to discover if it has always been different for female members in a band. Contributors include Elkie Brooks and Carol Kaye

10pm Sisters in Country: Dolly, Linda & Emmylou (BBC4)
    How Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris's careers took off in the 1970s with very distinct takes on country music, before they came together to collaborate on a successful album in 1987. The artists talk about uniting as harmony singers, focusing on how their alliance made them pioneers in bringing different music worlds together and raising the game for women in the country tradition

10.35pm Classic Joe Dolan (RTE1)
    Documentary using archive clips and new footage of the making of album Orchestrated, which features Dolan's original vocal accompanied by the RTÉ Concert Orchestra. sligojoek nailed it when he said on the other thread " RTE are gone to f*ck ..."the Joe Dolan / Orchestra tribute AGAIN. Never a word about him when he was alive but they are fairly milking him now. "

11pm Girls in Bands at the BBC (BBC4)
    Including American rock group Fanny, the powerful vocals of Elkie Brooks on Vinegar Joe's Proud to Be a Honky Tonk Woman, the poetry of Patti Smith's Horses and upbeat energy of the Go-Go's on We Got the Beat

11.35pm Bosca Ceoil (TG4)
    Danu light up the main stage, and they are followed by Buttons & Bows. Plus, performances by Conal O Grada and Colm Murphy, the West Ocean String Quartet with Maighread Ni Dhomhnaill, and the trio of Steve Wall, Alan Kelly and Jimmy Higgins

Midnight Queens of British Pop (Parts 1&2) (BBC4)
    1/2 First in a two-part celebration of 12 female singers who have influenced British pop music over the past 50 years. This programme looks at the 1960s and 70s, when Dusty Springfield, Sandie Shaw, Marianne Faithfull, Suzi Quatro, Kate Bush and Siouxsie Sioux were involved in some of Britain's defining musical movements. Tom Jones, Burt Bacharach, Jarvis Cocker, John Lydon and Henry Winkler contribute, along with some of the female stars themselves. Liza Tarbuck narrates
    2/2 Concluding the celebration of 12 female singers of the past 50 years, focusing on Annie Lennox, Alison Moyet and Leona Lewis, who are all interviewed, plus Kylie Minogue, Geri Halliwell and Amy Winehouse. Contributions by Amy's father Mitch, Dave Stewart, Dawn French, Andy Bell, Pete Waterman, Nicki Chapman, Lily Allen and Alexandra Burke reveal how the artists have helped to mould the perception of women in British pop

12.05am The Sligo Masters (TG4)
    Documentary exploring the lives of Irish fiddle players Michael Coleman, James Morrison and Paddy Killoran, who were born at the turn of the century and emigrated to the US. Filmed on location in Sligo, New York and Dublin, the programme depicts the musicians' rise as recording artists, the influence their music had on peers and on subsequent generations, and the impact of the Wall Street Crash of 1929 on the recording industry as a whole

12.30am Beat Beat Beat - The Hollies (Sky Arts)
    Mancunian band the Hollies perform a selection of their hits on the 1960s West German Show, including Stop Stop Stop and Bus Stop

12.45am Foo Fighters: Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)
    The rock band perform for the US music programme, performing songs including Times Like These, The Feast and the Famine, Tuff Enuff and Best of You

2am-5am Download Festival 2017 (Sky Arts)
    Part one of two. Highlights of the event held at Donington Park, Leicestershire, where the headliners were System of a Down, Biffy Clyro and Aerosmith

Saturday
    1pm Depeche Mode - Live in Berlin 2013 (Sky Arts)

2.30pm Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Live at Hurricane Festival 2015 (Sky Arts)

3.40pm Oasis Live at Barrowlands 2001 (Sky Arts)

7pm-11pm Guitar Heroes at the BBC Parts 1-4 (Yesterday)
    1)Carlos Santana, Mark Knopfler, the Edge and Peter Green, John Martyn, Bert Jansch, John Renbourn and Paco Pena
    2) Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townshend, Peter Green and Johnny Winter. Manitas de Plata, Ry Cooder, Thin Lizzy and AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac and the Jam
    3) Status Quo, The Who, Dire Straits, Lynyrd Skynyrd, George Benson, Leo Kottke, Link Wray and Tom Petty
    4) Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, David Bowie, Motorhead, Nazareth, AC/DC and George Thorogood, Michael Chapman, Horslips and Paco de Lucia

10pm BBC Biggest Weekend - Belfast (BBC2 NI)
    Another repeat of this, featuring Beck, the Manics, Ash and others

10.40pm David Walliams celebrates Dame Shirley Bassey (RTE1)
    Shirley performs some of her best-loved songs, backed by a live studio orchestra and duetting with award-winning vocal group Blake. She also talks to David about her 60-year career, and even appears alongside the funnyman in a couple of sketches. Also appearing are Simon Callow, Jocelyn Jee Esien and Beattie Edmondson

11.30pm Film: Whiplash (RTE2)
    A talented young jazz drummer thinks all his dreams have come true when he lands a place at a prestigious music academy. However, the experience turns into a nightmare thanks to an uncompromising tutor who will stop at nothing to make his students realise their potential - including physical and mental abuse. Drama, starring Miles Teller, JK Simmons and Paul Reiser

11.40pm Na Firein Arís! (TG4)
    A profile of the Irish language rock band Na Firein, who reformed in 2014 to perform again. The programme charts their career, from the first time they stepped on stage to play together, through to their emotional reunion

Midnight Beat Beat Beat - The Small Faces (Sky Arts)
    A West German TV performance by Small Faces, recotded in 1966 and featuring hits including Sha-La-La-La-Lee

Midnight Sound Of Cinema: The Music that made The Movies (BBC4)
    Ep 1/3 Neil Brand celebrates the art of the film soundtrack by exploring the work of movie composers and demonstrating their techniques. He begins by looking at how the classical orchestral score emerged, and investigates how its popularity remains strong today.

12.15am Lost in Vagueness (Sky Arts)
    The story of Glastonbury's former anarchic after-hours party area Lost Vagueness, featuring contributions by Fatboy Slim, Suggs, Keith Allen and Kate Tempest

1am Film Hank Williams - The Show He Never Gave (1980) (True Entertainment)
    Country singer Hank Williams prepares to perform a concert on what will turn out to be the last night of his life. As he is driven to the gig, he imagines the show he would like to put on, in which he performs in a small bar and shares his personal philosophy with the crowd. Fact-based drama, starring Sneezy Waters and Dixie Seatle
    Full film here in grainy quality

2am-5am Download Festival 2017 (Sky Arts)
    Part two of two. Highlights of the event held at Donington Park, Leicestershire, where the headliners were System of a Down, Biffy Clyro and Aerosmith

Sunday
    6.25am Classic Quadrophenia (Sky Arts)
    From London's Royal Albert Hall, Pete Townshend, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor Robert Ziegler and a host of guests, including Alfie Boe, put a classical spin on the Who's 1973 album Quadrophenia

11am Football's 47 Best Worst Songs (Dave)

1pm & 12.15am The Killers Live at The Royal Albert Hall 2009 (Sky Art
    s)

7pm Nigel Kennedy plays Bach and Gershwin: BBC Biggest Weekend (BBC4)
    The violinist performs a concert of pieces by Bach and Gershwin at Scone Palace near Perth, accompanied by members of the Kennedy Band and the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra

10.10pm Elvis Presley: The Searcher (Sky Atlantic)
    Part one of two. Documentary about the music legend, focusing on his early life in Tupelo, Mississippi and his unprecedented rise to fame over a single yea

Midnight Beat Beat Beat: The Kinks (Sky Arts)
    More highlights from the West German pop show, featuring a 1965 performance by the Kinks. The London band, featuring brothers Ray and Dave Davies, play songs including You Really Got Me and I'm a Lover Not a Fighter

2am Classic Comps (BBC4)
    Classic Quartets at the BBC Compilations of classical music performances from the BBC archives. In the first programme, Clemency Burton-Hill introduces string quartets playing music ranging from Mozart and Beethoven to Elvis Costello and Pete Townshend in a variety of locations ranging from stately homes to helicopters

2.15am Manic Street Preachers Live at Nynex 1997 (Sky Arts)

and there you are, if you miss the Isle of Wight stuff this weekend I suspect Sky Arts will repeat it repeatedly, that's the kind of guys they are. Sure it's good to see them trying anway

The best Michael Caine Cover of a Roy Orbison Classic of the weekend might be this from Little Voice [BBC2NI, Saturday 11.30pm] It's a lot swearier than Roy's version

• Advertisement

Wait, now.

There's a band called The Skids??

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Wait, now.

There's a band called The Skids??

No relation

They spat at the Nolan Sisters backstage at TOTP, allegedly. No need for that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Skid X wrote: »
    No relation

Yeah Richard Jobson did spit on the ground as the sisters passed by, but it kinda got elevated into him practically gobbing straight into their faces which wasn’t really the case I believe anyway. Gobbing was a bit of a punk thing, though. No need for it is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

10.35pm Classic Joe Dolan (RTE1)
    Documentary using archive clips and new footage of the making of album Orchestrated, which features Dolan's original vocal accompanied by the RTÉ Concert Orchestra. sligojoek nailed it when he said on the other thread " RTE are gone to f*ck ..."the Joe Dolan / Orchestra tribute AGAIN. Never a word about him when he was alive but they are fairly milking him now. "

:D I missed that post. Wise words and eloquently put.
    The udders of Dolan and Riverdance must be red raw at this stage.
    No relation

That takes me way back. I saw a U2 gig in the Stadium in the early eighties 2/3. The gobbing was unreal. The supports were- The Members and I'm pretty sure The Skids. The Members walked off stage mid-set due to the gobbing. U2 came on and the industrial gobbing continued. A couple of songs in, a large lump of phlegm lands on Bono's shoulder. He proceeds to scrape the lump off his shoulder and puts it in his mouth. Absolutely gross but, it completely stopped the gob fest :eek: Not sure he'd do that today.

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    :D I missed that post. Wise words and eloquently put.
    The udders of Dolan and Riverdance must be red raw at this stage.

Thanks

That takes me way back. I saw a U2 gig in the Stadium in the early eighties 2/3. The gobbing was unreal. The supports were- The Members and I'm pretty sure The Skids. The Members walked off stage mid-set due to the gobbing. U2 came on and the industrial gobbing continued. A couple of songs in, a large lump of phlegm lands on Bono's shoulder. He proceeds to scrape the lump off his shoulder and puts it in his mouth. Absolutely gross but, it completely stopped the gob fest :eek: Not sure he'd do that today.

On a similar note. I just posted this in the Liveline thread.
    Originally Posted by thecretinhop View Post
    imagine if Shane McGowan VOMITED on the pope
    I hadn't a chance to reply to this yesterday.

Long time posters will know Shane is a good friend of mine. Back around 2002 Shane had been in hospital after another of his hip breaking episodes. He'd been booked with the Popes to play a series of shows around the country starting in the Olympia. He signed himself out the day of the Olympia and ended up puking on the stage. Duffy dedicated the following day to people who wanted to give out about it. I joined the tour the next day and told Shane that he was being scandalised by Joe.

His answer was. "F*ck that c*nt. I launched my career by puking on stage in 1977. I'm not gonna stop for him "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »

Jeez, that is pretty rad. Not at that level but I saw the Clash at the sfx in 1984. Bout 3 songs in Strummer stopped the gig mid song and implored the audience to beat the cr@p out of the next chunt that gobbed at him. Moments later I saw a few guys laying into a skinhead who had been acting the maggot all night and had actually threatened one of the guys I was with earlier. There was no more hassle after that.

Also remember Annie Lennox getting showered at the Phoenix Park in 83. Fcuking disgusting to watch that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No relation

With the excellent (and sadly late) Stuart Adamson warming up his guitar riffs for the later Big Country.

Documentary exploring the lives of Irish fiddle players Michael Coleman, James Morrison and Paddy Killoran, who were born at the turn of the century and emigrated to the US. Filmed on location in Sligo, New York and Dublin, the programme depicts the musicians' rise as recording artists, the influence their music had on peers and on subsequent generations, and the impact of the Wall Street Crash of 1929 on the recording industry as a whole

1am Film Hank Williams - The Show He Never Gave (1980) (True Entertainment)
    Country singer Hank Williams prepares to perform a concert on what will turn out to be the last night of his life. As he is driven to the gig, he imagines the show he would like to put on, in which he performs in a small bar and shares his personal philosophy with the crowd. Fact-based drama, starring Sneezy Waters and Dixie Seatle

Nice one SkidX I'd never have spotted these on my own

Ain’t no one sweeter than our Lita (Ford)! :)

Had a peek at the Isle of Wight on Sky Arts. The Script are on doing their U2 impression. My best friends dad went over from Dublin ticketless to the inaugural festival in 1970 and has tried to describe it to me on a few occasions. He sat on the hill overlooking things and saw Hendrix but said The Doors weren't up to much. I doubt Hawkwind were known outside squat circles then but if you ever have time take a look at the Miles Davis (Bitches Brew) set which is just ridiculously good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ain’t no one sweeter than our Lita (Ford)! :)

Apparently Lita is changing her surname to Mazda ;)

dasdog wrote: »
    Had a peek at the Isle of Wight on Sky Arts. The Script are on doing their U2 impression. My best friends dad went over from Dublin ticketless to the inaugural festival in 1970 and has tried to describe it to me on a few occasions. He sat on the hill overlooking things and saw Hendrix but said The Doors weren't up to much. I doubt Hawkwind were known outside squat circles then but if you ever have time take a look at the Miles Davis (Bitches Brew) set which is just ridiculously good.

Didn’t Britain’s favourite prankster Jeremy Beadle have a hand in organising the first IOW festival?

Feeder on now - I’m right back at uni, drinking cider from a lemon lemon lemon... :)

Didn’t Britain’s favourite prankster Jeremy Beadle have a hand in organising the first IOW festival?

Feeder on now - I’m right back at uni, drinking cider from a lemon lemon lemon... :)

I thought there were two brothers involved in organising it? Jeremy Beadle and hand conjures up a different picture for me, hehe.

Easy to forget just how big Feeder were circa 2001 - a good antidote to all the ‘bedwetter’ bands who were around at the time (Travis, Starsailor etc.) :)

RIP Vinnie Paul of Pantera/Damageplan/Hellyeah :(

I shall raise a Black Tooth Grin to you tonight.

Liam Gallagher on Sky Arts right now - the only person on the planet who thinks ‘Be Here Now’ was any good.

source.gif

I remember trying to pretend that Be Here Now was good.

Jesus, it was hard work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Liam Gallagher on Sky Arts right now - the only person on the planet who thinks ‘Be Here Now’ was any good.

source.gif

Fastest-selling album ever.

Fastest-selling album ever.

How did the album after it do?

• Advertisement

De-peshay Mode on Sky Arts right now.

*searches wardrobe*

I told Martin Gore to keep away from my S&M gear!

Advertisement