Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Skid X wrote: »
    9pm Film: Teenage Superstars (Sky Arts) New!
    A journey through the indie music scene of Glasgow between 1982 and 1992, with a look at the bands that emerged during this time, from the Vaselines to Primal Scream. Includes interview with Edwyn Collins, Bobby Gillespie, Jim Reid, Sean Dickson, Eugene Kelly and Alan McGee

Missed it - no doubt will be on again...

11pm Kelly Jones And Rhys Ifans In Conversation (Sky Arts)
    “A chat between the Sterephonics frontman and the actor” says the no-nonense blurb for this

Always getting Gruff Rhys and Rhys Ifans mixed up. Kind of understandable I suppose. Although calling him the Stereophonics frontman is pushing it
    Wikipedia wrote:
    He was briefly lead vocalist of the rock band Super Furry Animals before they released any records.

Aaand just realised they mixed up two different bands :pac:

If you were looking for a 2021 fitness kick then Bez from The Happy Mondays and Black Grape is here to help. He has a new series 'Get Buzzin With Bez' which will have Joe Wicks ****ting himself

Deadly buzz! :pac: The BBC did tell him that recreational pharmaceuticals weren't allowed, right...?

Finally if you missed it earlier today here is the Best performance by Barry From Eastenders at a Presidential Inauguration of the week. No honestly.

Brilliant :pac:

Oh and that drumming video was great but Buddy Rich was alleged to be a bit, eh, difficult to work with... search for "Buddy Rich bus tapes"!

And there's a half hour thing about Talking Heads on Sky Arts during the day repeated a couple of times this week if anyone's interested.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Heads up!

‘Neil Hannon: 30 Years Of The Divine Comedy’ is on BBC One NI tonight at 10.45pm.

Really good - gets two meaty thumbs-up from The Megaman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Missed it - no doubt will be on again...

it's available On Demand and on SkyGo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Gimme Some Lovin’!

6a91ab5728e8472042794da12c0757a23327739f.gif

Blues Bros on ITV4 right now! It's like Christmas, only a month late.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It is as true today as it was when The Blues Brothers was made: American Nazis are the biggest bunch of dipsticks in the whole world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Especially Illinois nazis.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I *hate* Illinois Nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

‘Neil Hannon: 30 Years Of The Divine Comedy’ is on BBC One NI tonight at 10.45pm.

That was even more quirky than expected - really enjoyed it.

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's available On Demand and on SkyGo.

I have Now TV but this needs an Entertainment pass, which I don't have, even though Sky Arts is free to air...

Like I said, it's sure to be on again sometime

Off-topic, but another really annoying thing about Now TV is that the Sports Extra pass gets you Premier Sports, but Pro14 rugby is blocked on it in Ireland...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Not Beeb Rock but I'll fire it in here anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Heads up!

Really good - gets two meaty thumbs-up from The Megaman :)
    dasdog wrote: »
    That was even more quirky than expected - really enjoyed it.

Yeah, I really enjoyed that too.

I was expecting more along the style of "Neil's music teacher from school saying "Ah, he has a bit of a dreamer but I knew he would go far, surely" but the styling of it was class

The Hip Hop thing starts on BBC4 this week, TG4 has Mama's Boys somewhere in the schedule and Sky has Runrig (huge in parts of Scotland, very little elsewhere - the Irn Bru of music)

Thursday
    9pm Na Baileid (TG4)
    John Spillane travels to North Munster to investigate another three well-known ballads, Shanagolden, The Cliffs of Dooneen and Eamonn an Chnoic

10pm Collaborations With Stephen McCauley (BBC2 NI)
    Musicians from various genres team up for one-off performances of new or reversioned songs. Mixing it up are And So I Watch You From Afar, joined by Ríoghnach Connolly, Declan O'Rourke teaming up with hip-hop producer Cbakl, the Gloaming's Iarla Ó Lionáird joining forces with Úna Monaghan and West Ocean String Quartet, and Saint Sister and Lisa Hannigan sharing a state together once more

11.20pm Film – The Blues Brothers (ITV4)
    tenor.gif

1am Roger Waters - Us And Them (Sky Arts)
    2018 Amsterdam gig

Friday
    7pm & 2.25am Sound of Musicals With Neil Brand (BBC4)
    Ep 2 Neil explores how a new generation of composers transformed musical theatre by embracing more gritty, challenging subjects, from the mean streets of 1950s New York in West Side Story to the Dickensian London of British blockbuster Oliver

7pm The Seventies – Whats Going On? (Sky Arts)
    A look at how American popular music exploded into new formats, while artists including Blondie, Billy Joel and Kiss found new ways to express themselves

7.30pm Ceol On Chlann – Mamas Boys (TG4)
    The story of rock band Mama's Boys, revealing how Pat, John and Tommy McManus,. the three brothers who make up the group, were inspired by their family's background in traditional music, but ultimately decided to switch to a harder sound

8pm & 1.25am Cilla At The BBC (BBC4)
    Cilla Black always demanded Seat 1A on flights and refused to speak to the Cabin Crew except via her assistant. One flight attendant got so sick of her behaviour he told her “I always knew you couldn’t sing, I didn’t know you couldn’t f**king talk. That’s not in this show but this and more Cilla stories are in this link https://popbitch.com/2015/08/black-out/

8pm Trailblazers – Pop Radio (Sky Arts)
    Songs that were big on the radio, quite a broad genre

9pm The Art Of Drumming (Sky Arts)
    Ep 4 The 20 Greatest Drummers ever, according to a poll of some drummers

9pm Top Of The Pops – July 19 (BBC4)
    Mark Goodier hosts the edition first aired on July 19, with performances by artists including Paul Young, Inspiral Carpets, Dream Warriors, Craig McLachlan and Check 1-2, Partners in Kryme, Diana Ross, Paul Young, FAB featuring MC Parker, Madonna, Elton John and Paula Abdul

9.30pm Top Of The Pops – July 26 (BBC4)
    Jackie Brambles hosts the edition first aired on July 26, with performances by artists including Blue Pearl, the Soup Dragons featuring Junior Reid, Paula Abdul, Technotronic featuring Ya Kid K, DNA featuring Suzanne Vega, MC Hammer, River City People and Partners in Kryme

10pm & 1am The Curious Life And Death Of … A Rolling Stone (Smithsonian Channel)
    Dr Lindsey Fitzharris explores the mysterious death of Brian Jones - founder of the Rolling Stones. Was it drink, drugs and rock 'n'roll, or does new evidence suggest murder?

10pm Greatest Hits Of The Seventies (Channel 5)
    The stories behind six songs from the decade, examining Hot Chocolate's You Sexy Thing, Bee Gees' Stayin' Alive, Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush, Chic's Le Freak, Knowing Me, Knowing You by Abba, and Queen's Somebody to Love

10pm Hip Hop – The Songs That Shook America (BBC4) New!
    10pm Ep 1 of 6 A look at groundbreaking hip-hop songs, revisited by the artists behind them, that were pivotal to the evolution of American music and culture. The first episode features Kanye West's Grammy-winning 2004 release Jesus Walks, which stood out by placing West's personal interpretation of Christian faith at the centre of its message
    10.40pm Ep 2 of 6 A look at American rapper Kendrick Lamar's 2015 song Alright, which was inspired by a visit to South Africa. A song about hope amid personal struggles, it became a soundtrack adopted by Black Lives Matter

10.15pm Brian Johnson Meets Dave Grohl (Sky Arts)

11.20pm Celtic Connections (TG4)
    Daithí Ó Sé introduces performances from Ross Ainslie & the Sanctuary Band, Findlay Napier, Sierra Hull, the Secret Sisters, Martin Hayes and Dennis Cahill

11.25pm Hip Hop At The BBC (BBC4)
    Hip-hop performances through the decades from the BBC archives, including the Sugarhill Gang in 1979 and Run DMC, LL Cool J and Eric B & Rakim in the '80s. Plus, Ice T, Monie Love, Fugees and the Roots in the '90s and latterly Dr Dre featuring Eminem, Dizzee Rascal and Jay

11.30pm Film: Almost Famous (2000) (RTE1)
    A teenage journalist is hired to write about a rock band and joins the group on tour, to the horror of his doting mother

11.30pm Abba – When All Is Said And Done (Channel 5)
    Docudrama about the two singers

11.45am Foo Fighters – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

12.25am Hits Hype And Hustle – An Insiders Guide To The Music Business (BBC4)

1am Kelly Jones And Rhys Ifans In Conversation (Sky Arts)

1.20am Other Voices (RTE2)
    From 2005, includes Fontaines DC

1.30am Deep Purple: Perfect Strangers (Sky Arts)
    1984 Reunion Gig from Melbourne

Saturday
    4pm The Cavern Club – The Beat Goes On (Sky Arts)

5.30pm Classic Artists – Jethro Tull (Sky Arts)

7.45pm The Art Of Drumming (Sky Arts)
    Ep 4 again

9pm Runrig – The Last Dance (Sky Arts)
    The Celtic rock band's final performance, in front of 52,000 fans at Stirling City Park, featuring Pride of the Summer, Book of Golden Stories, Loch Lomond and Heart of Olden Glory

9.20pm-11.55pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)

11pm California Dreamin’ – The Songs Of The Mamas And The Papas (Sky Arts)

11.05pm Top Of The Pops – July 19 (BBC4)
    11.35pm Top Of The Pops – July 26 (BBC4)

12.05am Hip Hop – The Songs That Shook America (Parts 1&2) (BBC4)

12.15am Beach Boys – Good Vibrations Tour (Sky Arts)
    From Anaheim 1976

Sunday
    5pm Rush: Time Machine – Live In Cleveland 2011 (Sky Arts)

9pm-Midnight The Eagles Live From The LA Forum (Sky Arts)

9.30pm Ceiluradh Na mBan (TG4)
    Moya Brennan of Clannad will be joined by many of TG4's acclaimed Gradam Ceoil award-winners,

10.30pm Teach Na Ceibhe – Kila (TG4)
    Live From Galway

11pm Imagine - Cameron Mackintosh (BBC4)
    The Musicals Promoter talks to Alan Yentob

Midnight -2.45am The Shadows Final Tour (Sky Arts)

That's more or less that, if you have heard of anything else going on do let us know

Weird Youtube archive performance this week is when Motorhead played live on Saturday Morning ITV Kids show 'Saturday Superstore' in 1984. Starting at about 9.30 in the morning and played five songs in between Timmy Mallett plugging the Wide Awake Club and Bonnie Langford on how to jazz up your old dresses by using glitter and shiny paper

https://imotorhead.com/tour-history/1984-10-06/

The Best Limahl Theme Tune to a misleadingly titled fantasy adventure movie might be The Never Ending Story (BBC1 Sunday 3.05pm - actual running time 90 minutes)

Also, be careful of what you read on the Internet, I was searching to see if Limahl appears in that movie and this site popped up

https://thestudioexec.com/gary-oldman-directs-kajagoogoo-biopic/
    Gary Oldman is to direct his second feature film with a biopic of British Eighties pop group Kajagoogoo.
    Too Shy represents a radical change in direction for Oldman, whose first film Nil By Mouth was a grimly realistic portrayal of domestic violence, starring Ray Winstone.

Ray Winstone returns, however, in the role of Limahl the egotistical lead singer of the group which had hits with ‘Ooh to Be Aaah’ and ‘Too Shy’ before exploding in an orgy of hair spray and recriminations. Jonah Hill will play bassist – and arch rival – Nick Beggs ... what you don’t know about Ray is he used to play keyboards for Bow Wow Wow and so he knows that world intimately. They kicked him out just after they released ‘Go Wild in the Country’ and he’s been very bitter about it.

Alright, I'm gullible :o That site is completely bogus. I did like the idea of Ray Winstone playing keyboards in Bow Wow Wow, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rush, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull AND Mama's Boys (to whom I lost everything above 10khz in my right ear! :eek:)

No Sleep Till Monday :)

[beavis and butthead gif here]

Skid X wrote: »
    1.20am Other Voices (RTE2)
    From 2005, includes Fontaines DC

Via time machine???

Weird Youtube archive performance this week is when Motorhead played live on Saturday Morning ITV Kids show 'Saturday Superstore' in 1984. Starting at about 9.30 in the morning and played five songs in between Timmy Mallett plugging the Wide Awake Club and Bonnie Langford on how to jazz up your old dresses by using glitter and shiny paper

https://imotorhead.com/tour-history/1984-10-06/[/YOUTUBE]

There's a video at that link for anyone who doesn't want to plough through the entire kids' TV show looking for bits of Motorhead :)

Don't think that show ever made it to the Ulster TV region, not too surprising if Motorhead was their choice of guest :pac: (but see the end credits, there is something called "Boy Zone" :eek::eek: )

Not that I would have been interested in getting up at 9:15 or whatever by 1984 (I'd entered my teens) on a Saturday morning to watch a bloody kids' TV show. Why not have a show about music and put bands on that, they could call it music television or something, might catch on...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Via time machine???

When I say 2005, I mean their set started at, eh, about 5 past 8 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Partners in Kryme

Oh dear, that can only mean Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. And 1990 was going so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Oh dear, that can only mean Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. And 1990 was going so well.

Global phenomenon at the time and highest grossing independent movie at the box office for many year's... Turtle Power!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,091 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

smurf492 wrote: »
    Global phenomenon at the time and highest grossing independent movie at the box office for many year's... Turtle Power!!

Huge increase in sales of pizza here and UK!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Made some tea and sat down to tune into TOTP, to my horror I see it's not on till 9. The Seventies on Sky Arts it is

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Made some tea and sat down to tune into TOTP, to my horror I see it's not on till 9. The Seventies on Sky Arts it is

What makes matters worse, musicals. Bar a few exceptions a pet hate of mine :pac:

dasdog wrote: »
    What makes matters worse, musicals. Bar a few exceptions a pet hate of mine :pac:

Musicals are nonsense

• Advertisement

GETLOSTCILLAMAKEWAYFORTOPPITYPOPPITY!!

giphy.gif

I suppose those hats are one way to get noticed

Almost double denim from the Neighbours actor. Bo Diddley probably wasn't complaining if he got a royalty cut.

Boo-urns to Check 1-2!

We want the Y-Fronts!

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Check 1-2 have checked out.

Anyone notice how ‘Mona’ sounds like ‘Not Fade Away’ by The Rolling Stones? :eek:

Raphael was the leader of the turtles, not Leonardo.

Just sayin’.

As a kid i watched tmnt every morning before school, I completely forgot there was a film in the 90s. Probably not a bad thing I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Raphael was the leader of the turtles, not Leonardo.

Too angry to lead... Big chip on the shoulder

• Advertisement

PLAY BELL BIV DEVOE!!

tumblr_m3f2nfFulJ1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Advertisement