Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I've seen Ice T in law and order so many times you'd forget he was a rapper
    And John Carpenter's Ghosts Of Mars

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Especially when they turn films like the lion king or back to the future into a musical
    Classic cartoon
    Film of Classic cartoon
    Live action remake
    Musical
    Disney on Ice

Most of the time only the first is worth watching. The rest are only cynical money grabbing exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm confused, is the original The Lion King not an animated musical?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I'm confused, is the original The Lion King not an animated musical?

Well off the hook are

1. Blues Brothers
    2. The Producers
    3. Rocky Horror Picture Show

The rest are spawns of humanities terrible imagination.

dasdog wrote: »
    Well off the hook are

1. Blues Brothers
    2. The Producers

Needs more Spinal Tap and The Ruttles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

dasdog wrote: »
    Well off the hook are

1. Blues Brothers
    2. The Producers

The Muppets was quite good!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Did someone mention a mamas boys documentary on tg4 today/tomorrow?
    I dont see it anywhere in the tv listings?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Did someone mention a mamas boys documentary on tg4 today/tomorrow?
    I dont see it anywhere in the tv listings?

Was it last night? Think it may have been

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

And John Carpenter's Ghosts Of Mars

Ice cube??

tomorrow · Sun, Jan 31 · 14:55-18:10 · 4. TG4
    Fiddler on the Roof

If you like that sort of thing ...

• Advertisement

smurf492 wrote: »
    Ice cube??
    Like there's a difference ;)

Music is like a box of chocolates. To enjoy it you have to remove the wrappers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Was it last night? Think it may have been

Yes but I thought someone mentioned a repeat showing over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Music is like a box of chocolates. To enjoy it you have to remove the wrappers

Of course!

The Muppets was quite good!

VV2XU9J.png

Simpsons and Muppets exploited the nonsense to great effect.

I mean the movie which came out in 2011, it was a musical and it was good fun

220px-Muppets_ver4.jpg

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

I mean the movie which came out in 2011, it was a musical and it was good fun

I'm so out of touch 2011 is modern cinema. Although tune of the week is Kanyeless -

Not bad, but I prefer the original :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Howdy, if you were posting about how you don't like musicals a few days ago then there's a lot to be avoided in the schedules this week. All kinds of it. There's an unusual Stewart Lee film about Robert Lloyd of The Nightingales and The Prefects on Sky and all sorts of repeatorama elsewhere ...

Thursday
    9pm Na Baileid (TG4)
    John Spillane travels to Dublin to get the history behind three of its big songs, Down by the Glenside, Óro Sé do Bheatha Bhaile and On Raglan Road

10pm BBC Arts Presents … Sounds New (BBC2 NI)
    Stephen McCauley presents performances by emerging home-grown musical talent, featuring Amy Montgomery, JyellowL, Joshua Burnside, Lilla Vargen, Dark Tropics and the Florentinas

Friday
    Part 3 of 3 7pm & 2.25am Sound Of Musicals With Neil Brand (BBC4)
    The writer and composer looks at the rise of the all-conquering contemporary blockbuster, from Evita to Les Miserables and The Lion King. He also sees how these mega-musicals have met with unexpected competition from quirky hits such as The Rocky Horror Show and Avenue Q

8pm & 1.25am Abba At The BBC (BBC4)

8pm Trailblazers – Pub Rock (Sky Arts)

9pm Brian Johnson’s A Life On The Road – Dolly Parton (Sky Arts)

9pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – August 2 (BBC4)
    Bruno Brookes hosts the edition first aired on August 2, with performances by Little Angels, New Kids on the Block, LFO, Bell Biv Devoe, Madonna, Prince, Dream Warriors, Duran Duran, Partners in Kryme and Tricky Disco

9.30pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – August 9 (BBC4)
    Gary Davies hosts the edition first aired on August 9 with performances by Bombalurina, DNA featuring Suzanne Vega, Blue Pearl, Craig McLachlan and Check 1-2, the Soup Dragons featuring Junior Reid, MC Hammer, Tricky Disco, Hothouse Flowers, Partners in Kryme and Together

10pm Hip Hop – The Songs That Shook America (Eps 3&4) (BBC4)
    10pm Ep3 Rock Box, by Run-DMC A look at the track Rock Box, reflecting on how Run-DMC's song tore down the barriers between rock and hip-hop, race and class on American radio and television
    10.40pm Ep4 Elevators, by Outkast A look at Elevators, by Outkast, which saw hip-hop's southern voice break through with an unsuspecting song that redefined rap's cultural and geographic boundaries

10pm Film Janis – Little Girl Blue (Sky Arts)
    Amy Berg's retrospective includes some of Joplin's most iconic performances, which embodied the musical and cultural revolution of the 1960s. Narrated by Cat Power

10pm Greatest Hits Of The 70s (Channel 5)
    The stories behind six songs more from the decade, examining Bony M's Rivers of Babylon, 10cc's I'm Not in Love, Donna Summer's I Feel Love, Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street, You're the One That I Want from the musical Grease and Gloria Gaynor's disco smash I Will Survive

11.20pm Ceilioradh Na mBan (TG4)
    From Kylemore Abbey Moya Brennan of Clannad will be joined by many of TG4's acclaimed Gradam Ceoil award-winners

11.25pm Britain’s Most Dangerous Songs – Listen To The Damned (BBC4)
    The stories of 10 songs, dating from the 1930s to the present day, that were considered unsuitable by the BBC for broadcasting on its radio and television stations. Tunes include My Little Stick of Blackpool Rock by George Formby to the Sex Pistols' God Save the Queen, though it is perhaps surprising that Bing Crosby and the Munchkins are among the other performers on the list

11.35pm The Death And Destruction Of Michael Jackson (Channel 5)

Midnight Runrig – The Last Dance (Sky Arts)

Midnight MTV World Stage – Foo Fighters Live (MTV Music)

12.25am Hits Hype And Hustle – An Insiders Guide To The Music Business (BBC4)
    Music promoter John Giddings tells the story of how live performance has become a billion-pound industry. Contributors include Phil Collins, Stewart Copeland, Mel C and Alex James

1.45am Other Voices (RTE2)
    A performance by world-class harp player Laoise Kelly, a set by RTÉ Choice Music Prize winners Lankum and music by Mick Flannery

2.50am California Dreamin – The Music Of The Mamas And The Papas (Sky Arts)

1.55am Beach Boys – Good Vibrations Tour (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    4pm Classic Artists – Rock Poet (Sky Arts)
    Documentary giving an insight into Jim Morrison, the frontman of the Doors, featuring contributions by Oliver Stone, Danny Sugerman, Duke Special and David Crosby. This goes on for two hours, The Sting is on ITV4 at the same time

6pm Discovering Music – The Who (Sky Arts)

6.30pm The Who Live At Kilburn 1977 (Sky Arts)

8pm The Making Of Marc Bolan (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story of how East End boy Mark Feld became a glam rock superstar as the frontman of T. Rex. Featuring contributions from friends, family and well-known fans

8.50pm Pat Shortt’s Music From D’Telly (RTE1)
    Features Mary Black, Colm Wilkinson, Sonny Knowles, Elvis Costello, and more

9pm King Rocker (Sky Arts) New!
    Comedian Stewart Lee and director Michael Cumming investigate how Prefects and Nightingales frontman Robert Lloyd has survived under the musical radar for more than four decades. Featuring contributions from John Peel, Frank Skinner, Nigel Slater, Robin Askwith, Samira Ahmed, Gina Birch, Marc Riley, John Taylor, Paul Morley and Kevin Eldon

11pm-2am The Eagles Live From The LA Forum (Sky Arts)

11pm-1am Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)

11.40pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – August 2 (BBC4)
    12.10am Top Of The Pops 1990 – August 9 (BBC4)

12.40am Hip Hop – The Songs That Shook America (Eps 3&4) (BBC4)

1.10am Top Of The Pops - Big Hits 1989 (BBC2)

2am-4.20am Fleetwood Mac Live In Boston (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    2.20pm Na Baileid (TG4)
    John Spillane visits Northern Ireland to investigate three songs synonymous with the region - The Mountains of Mourne, Airdí Cuan and Carrickfergus

6pm I Am Johnny Cash (Sky Arts)
    A celebration of the country singer-songwriter built around 12 of his classic tracks spanning four decades, and featuring interviews with his family and friends

7.40pm Musicals – The Greatest Show (BBC1)
    Sheridan Smith hosts a celebration of the world of musical theatre from the London Palladium with numbers from The Greatest Showman, Mamma Mia!, Hamilton, Chess, Hairspray, Funny Girl, The Phantom of the Opera and Dreamgirls

9pm Imagine - Andrew Lloyd Webber (BBC4)
    90 minute profile of Andrew Lloyd Webber

9.30pm Transatlantic Sessions (TG4)
    Collaborations between American and Irish traditional musicians. The first episode features Alison Krauss, Sarah Jarosz, Alison Moorer and Rosanne Cash

10.30pm & 2.30am Les Mis At 25 (BBC4)
    Matt Lucas prepares to appear in the 25th anniversary performance of Les Miserables in 2010

10.35pm Teach Na Ceibhe (TG4)
    Furry Village live from Galway

11.30pm Sings Musicals (BBC4)
    This is the last one, honestly

11.50pm Classic Albums: Jimi Hendrix – Electric Ladyland (Sky Arts)
    The Superbowl kicked off at 11.30pm on BBC1 and other channels

Midnight MTV World Stage – Foo Fighters (MTV Music)

1.05am Janis – Little Girl Blue (Sky Arts)

The Superbowl Half Time show this year is from the Weeknd, apparently. Whoever the Americans put on can hardly compete with the glamour and spectacle of this set from Foster and Allen at the 1988 All Ireland Football Final. Hard to believe the GAA quietly dropped the Half Time show a few years later

Actual brilliant thing posted on Youtube this week is this Rory Gallagher Old Grey Whistle Test 1976 concert on BBC2, introduced by Slash as a tribute following Rory's death. KillianM2 has it unlisted so it might not stay up for too long

American channel PBS has just uploaded lots of extended archive interviews including Bowie, Neil Young and Patti Smith. Worth a browse

https://www.openculture.com/2021/01/pbs-american-masters-archive-releases-1000-hours-of-uncut-never-before-seen-interviews.html

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/archive

Finally, the Best Intro to a great film with a great theme with a Cartoon Cat might be The Pink Panther (Film4 Saturday 4.35pm) Obviously now you stay for Peter Sellars as Inspector Clouseau but when I was a kid I was furious that the Pink Panther from the Cartoon was only in the opening titles and not in the film proper. Confusing times.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Excellent work as usual, Skidoo :)

And don’t forget...Dave Grohl is on ‘The Graham Norton Show’ AND ‘The Late Late Show’!

Which interview do YOU think will be the most enjoyable? :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Excellent work as usual, Skidoo :)

And don’t forget...Dave Grohl is on ‘The Graham Norton Show’ AND ‘The Late Late Show’!

Which interview do YOU think will be the most enjoyable? :pac: :D

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493b4o3kng2nbaahfeef7dklz0u9a4mxr1tb2tsq55rh&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Nice to have one of the greatest bands gracing our screens at 8

Skid X wrote: »
    Obviously now you stay for Peter Sellars as Inspector Clouseau but when I was a kid I was furious that the Pink Panther from the Cartoon was only in the opening titles and not in the film proper.

Expecting the rinky dink panther and it turned out not to be a cartoon. For some reason it always seemed to happen on a Sunday afternoon.

I never noticed the initials from the four members spelt ABBA

FLOPPYTOPPY!

tenor.gif?itemid=10291803

Didn’t know Andy Gray presented TOTP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Timmy Mallet and MC Hammer....great for bangin' nails into a wall.

Around the same time this lot played a free gig in the Phoenix Park one afternoon and we pelted them with sods of turfy grass.

Didn’t know Andy Gray presented TOTP :D

Is that where he met Keys?

“Met a lot of people...and girls.” :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

tenor.gif

Advertisement