Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Keytar Count - Six.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Manys the impure thought I had about Betty in 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

So many keytars in this episode. I think I've gone blind.

‘I’ve used up all my tissues’

Me too, Betty, me too. :o :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

In days to come, people will say "No, I do not believe there could have been that many Keytars on one single TOTP episode"

But we are here

Now

And we witness the truth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

1990 - Steve Miller's Joker gets famous for a Levi 501's advertisement. Same year we are wearing skinny black jeans wanting to be like Megadeth and other Thrash bands.

Thirty years later...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Are those women in the background alright

PLAY ANTHRAX! :D

New Kids and their ‘looking back on their career’ song as if they’d been around for 20 years :D

What were they pixilating on yer mans shirt?

• Advertisement

Needs more Keytar, Jase

Jason with a normal guitar? He obviously didn't get the keytar memo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I always thought Wilson Philips was a person

Brian Wilson (beach boys) and John Philips (mamas and papas) daughters ... I think?

I think it was an Adidas logo

Which is odd as John Barnes had the same thing a few weeks earlier for the England World Cup song and it was left alone

The original music video has the shirts pixilated

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It looked like a pixilated adidas trefoil logo to me.

Not this gob****e again

I bet every Monday morning at Operation Yewtree someone said "No, lets investigate Timmy Mallett again. Seriously, there must be something there"

tenor.gif

Ending with Whitesnake.

de5427e75b4e514c11b340384cca0031.jpg

• Advertisement

Had a horrible feeling theyd turn up.

Final Keytar Count - 274.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Skid X wrote: »
    I think it was an Adidas logo

Which is odd as John Barnes had the same thing a few weeks earlier for the England World Cup song and it was left alone

Funnily enough Edwin Starr managed to go so far Adidas he probably managed to inspire their designers.

Carl Douglas you lyrical genius

Betty Boo, though.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

‘The pompatus of love’

:confused:

Yeah, me neither .

Live Depeche Mode on Sky Arts right now :)

Hello, Monday is March 1st which is St David's Day - to honour Dewi Sant BBC4 has a celebration of Welsh Music (by which obviously I mean show a load of repeats). All the other old reliables are also present and correct, including the Freddie Mercury Tribute which was gone from being never on Television to never off Television ...

Thursday
    10pm Top Of The Pops – The Story Of 1979 (BBC2)
    Features Nile Rodgers. And Gary Numan, Jah Wobble and Woody from Madness

Friday
    7pm Katherine Jenkins - From Wales To The World (BBC4)
    A thing about Opera Singer Katherine Jenkins, from Neath

8pm Soundbreaking (Sky Arts)
    Ep 2 Painting With Sound - Developments in recording studio technology, from the advent of magnetic tape and multi-tracking to the digital innovations that fuel the work of artists today

8pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – September 6th (BBC4)
    Jackie Brambles hosts the edition first aired on September 6, with performances by artists including Adamski, Mariah Carey, Talk Talk, the Farm, Deee-Lite, Bombalurina, Caron Wheeler, Janet Jackson and Loose Ends

8.30pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – September 13th (BBC4)
    Gary Davies hosts the edition first aired on September 13, with performances by artists including Londonbeat, Sonia, Janet Jackson, INXS, Bass-O-Matic, Maria McKee, the KLF, Steve Miller Band and Faith No More

9pm St Davids Day At The BBC (BBC4)
    A selection of tracks from some of the most important and innovative Welsh artists of the past few decades. The programme includes performances by Manic Street Preachers, Catatonia, Super Furry Animals, Marina and the Diamonds, Stereophonics, Feeder, Shakin' Stevens, Bonnie Tyler, Shirley Bassey and Tom Jones

9pm Brian Johnson’s A Life On The Road – Mick Fleetwood (Sky Arts)

10pm & 2am Tom Jones’ 1950s – The Decade That Made Me (BBC4)
    Tom Jones Revisits Treforest and Pontypridd, where he spent his childhood and teenage years, Tom recalls his joy when rationing finally ended, his encounter with American GIs stationed near his home, and the arrival of rock 'n' roll and the 'Teddy Boys'

10pm Later … With Jools Holland (BBC2)
    Featuring Moses Boyd, Rag n Bone Man and Peggy Seeger

10pm The Great Songwriters – Bill Withers (Sky Arts)

10pm Britain’s Greatest 80 Songs (Channel 5)
    Gary Davies does a rundown of the songs of 1980. This lasts for 90 minutes and it is episode 1 of 10, so every year gets an episode apparently

10.45pm The Bee Gees – How Can You Mend A Broken Heart? (Sky Arts)

11pm Dame Shirley Bassey – Electric Proms 2009 (BBC4)
    Classic tracks such as Big Spender and Goldfinger appear alongside songs from her album The Performance, with accompaniment by the BBC Concert Orchestra and guest collaborators David Arnold, James Dean Bradfield and Richard Hawley

11pm Marvin Gaye – What’s Going On? (Sky Arts)
    A profile of the soul singer, songwriter and producer, who helped shape the sound of Motown in the 1960s and released a string of classic albums in the 1970s

11.55pm Radio 2 In Concert – Stereophonics (BBC4)
    They perform an intimate concert of tracks from their 2019 UK number one album Kind, alongside songs from their back catalogue including Dakota, Have a Nice Day and Mr Writer. It’ll probably be the same thing for St Patricks Day in a few weeks only with U2 and Van Morrison

12.15am James Brown Live At Montreux 1981 (Sky Arts)

12.20am Sruth (TG4)
    Méabh Smyth & Innes White

12.25am Country Music (RTE2)
    Ep2 The story of how Nashville became the heart of the country music industry

1am Our Musical History – Soul And Beyond (BBC4)
    Trevor Nelson and Corinne Bailey Rae talk about and play old Soul videos

1.30am Discovering Music - James Brown (Sky Arts)

2am The Cure Live In Hyde Park 2018 (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    4pm-6.10pm Classic Artists – Yes (Sky Arts)
    Part 1

6.10pm Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert (Sky Arts)

8pm The Great Songwriters – Bill Withers (Sky Arts)

9pm Dire Straits – Alchemy 1983 (Sky Arts)
    There’s a two hour Billy Connolly Doc on BBC2 starting now

11pm The Jam Live At Rockpalast 1980 (Sky Arts)

11pm-1am Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)

11.30pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – September 6th (BBC4)
    Midnight Top Of The Pops 1990 – September 13th (BBC4)

12.30am The Story Of The Jam – About The Young Idea (Sky Arts)
    Good Doc featuring interviews with frontman Paul Weller, bassist Bruce Foxton and drummer Rick Buckler, as well as archive performances

12.30am Britpop At The BBC (BBC4)
    Elastica, Sleeper, Suede, Menswear, Blur, Oasis and all that lot

2.15am Madness - Before And After (Sky Arts)
    The story of the House of Fun hitmakers, tracing their journey from humble beginnings as a British pub band to the peak of their chart-topping success

Sunday
    5.15pm I Am Johnny Cash (Sky Documentaries)

9.30pm Sruth (TG4)
    Megan Nic Fhionnghaile & Pàdruig Morrison

11.20pm Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert (Sky Arts)

1.10am Discovering Music – Queen (Sky Arts)

Well that's all I've got, there must be more out there so dont be shy if you have seen any good stuff in the schedules

Decent Youtube site worth a look is 'Top 2000 a gogo' which sounds like a questionable Nightclub you should never have paid into but is in fact from a Dutch TV show which does a rundown of the Viewers Top 2000 songs every New Year https://www.youtube.com/c/Top2000agogo/videos

The Youtube Channel has short clips where songwriters and performers talk about their songs. Here is Steve Harley talking about the bust up that led to Come Up And See Me (Make Me Smile)

There are loads of similar videos uploaded, BBC4 should rip off the format and play them in the schedules between shows. It costs next to nothing, if they don't do it Sky will

Nile Rodgers makes a brief appearance on a TOTP Doc this week, here's a short burst of his cooking skills and his very impressive (Spices) Rack

https://twitter.com/nilerodgers/status/1359530982681042945

Finally, The Best Song Slagging Off Victor Meldrew To The Tune Of Bread Of Heaven By Car Mechanics Featuring Eric Idle Of The Week is a toughly contested title, as always, but my tip would be this one (as featured in One Foot In The Grave, Yesterday (Tuesday 11pm)

Interesting music story find of the week...’that’ incident at the Brit Awards starring Jarvis Cocker and Michael Jackson!

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2021/feb/19/bum-rush-the-show-jarvis-cockers-britpop-celebrity-moment

I didn’t know members of Massive Attack were on the same table as Jarvis...I would have thought they’d be seated up in the Mezzanine.

Thank you, I’m here all week! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wasn't funny though that Jackson's thugs wanted to flatten him and when they failed to do so, made up a story about (IRONY ALERT) kids being hurt and got him arrested :mad:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement