Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

REACH OUT AND TOUCH FAITH!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

What would Depeche Mode know about music?

Manics on Sky Arts right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Manics on Sky Arts right now :)

Didn't like their 'In Between Days' - it's a great track, but they really added nothing to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

REACH OUT AND TOUCH FAITH!

Who's she?

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hi, it's new shows overload on the BBC beginning with a Duran Duran night on Friday. If you're into the Durans it looks decent. It does look like BBC4 are now only commissioning shows with some kind of Nile Rodgers connection, but at least it is something new.

BBC2 hits back with an Eric Clapton doc on Saturday and Sky Arts has an interesting looking show about a Seventies Canadian Festival Train Tour with Janis Joplin and the Grateful Dead, among others.

A few other bits and pieces on offer too, here are the details ...

Duran Duran Night (Friday, BBC4)

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-44354443

9pm & 1.55am Duran Duran - There's Something You Should Know New!
    Forty years since the formation of the band who went on to become one of the biggest acts of the 1980s, Simon Le Bon, John Taylor, Nick Rhodes and Roger Taylor open up about the highs and lows of their career - with archive footage of former guitarist Andy Taylor helping round out the story. The documentary charts their trajectory through seven of their 14 albums, each one uncovering a compelling chapter in the history of five lads from Birmingham who had one simple dream - to become the biggest band in the world. Contributors include Boy George, Nile Rodgers and Mark Ronson. First of two programmes celebrating Duran Duran's 40-year anniversary

10pm Duran Duran - A Night In New!
    Simon Le Bon, Nick Rhodes, John Taylor and Roger Taylor sit back to watch and talk through personally-selected clips of archive television, music shows, movies, performances, adverts and children's shows that have inspired them across their career. The band discuss their influences from the worlds of film and art, referencing Blade Runner, Andy Warhol and Tomorrow's World, and ranging from Barbarella to Virginia Plain and Midnight Express

11pm Duran Duran Unstaged
    The band take to the stage at the Mayan Theatre in Los Angeles during the All You Need Is Now Tour. Directed by David Lynch

2.55am TOTP2 Duran Duran Special
    Mark Radcliffe presents a look back at some classic Duran Duran Top of the Pops performances

Everything Else ...

Thursday
    7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1985 - November 28th (BBC4)
    Peter Powell and Dixie Peach present the edition from November 28, featuring David Grant and Jaki Graham, Whitney Houston, Prefab Sprout, Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin, and Wham!

9pm Isle Of Wight 2018 - Kasabian, Feeder, The Script (Sky Arts)
    10pm Isle Of Wight 2018 - Liam Gallagher, Depeche Mode, Soul II Soul (Sky Arts)
    11pm Isle of Wight 2018 - The Killers, Liam Gallagher, Manic Street Preachers (Sky Arts)

1.30am The Doors Live at Hollywood Bowl 1968 (Sky Arts)

Friday (Apart from the Duranathon)
    4.20pm Adele Live in London (RTE1)
    Nothing to see here

7pm Bon Jovi Live in London (1985) (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & 12.55am Top Of The Pops 1985 - December 12th (BBC4)
    Gary Davies and Janice Long present the pop chart programme, first broadcast on 12 December 1985. WIth Bronski Beat, Madonna ,Cameo, Shakin’ Steven, Whitney Houston and Wham!

8pm Top Of The Pop Big Hits 1982 (BBC4)
    Featuring Adam Ant, Yazoo, Wham!, ABC and the Associates, all breakthrough acts in a golden year for British pop. Madness provide a little two-step with their ska revival, and Junior and Patrice Rushen's R'n'B tracks pack a punch. Pop-infused reggae beats are provided by Culture Club and Musical Youth, while the mods get a nod from the Jam and there's a performance by Tight Fit

9pm-Midnight Download Festival 2018 (Sky Arts)
    Highlights from the event held at Donington Park in Leicestershire, where acts include Black Stone Cherry, Babymetal, Shinedown and DragonForce
    https://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/download-festival-2018-stage-times-revealed/

Midnight Slash - Raised On The Sunset Strip (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the life and music of the Guns N' Roses guitarist, featuring concert footage and interviews with Dave Grohl, Alice Cooper and Joe Perry

1.30am It's So Easy And Other Lies (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about Guns N' Roses bass player Duff McKagan, focusing on his lifelong battle with addiction. McKagan reveals how the band provided solace from recent tragedies in his life, but fame proved difficult to cope with, leading to heavy drinking and drug use. A brush with death provided the incentive to change his ways, and since leaving the band, his life has taken him in unexpected new directions

Saturday
    5pm Classic Albums: Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley (Sky Arts)

6pm When Patsy Cline was Crazy (Sky Arts)
    Rosanne Cash narrates a documentary about the life, career and legacy of the American country music singer, with contributions by LeAnn Rimes, Kacey Musgraves and Reba McEntire

7pm Johnny Cash - Behind Prison Walls (Sky Arts)
    Recording of the country star's concert at the Tennessee State Prison, Nashville, in 1977

7pm-9pm Guitar Heroes at the BBC (Yesterday)
    1) Archive performances from BBC music shows of the 1970s, including Top of the Pops and The Old Grey Whistle Test, featuring Alice Cooper, New York Dolls, Peter Green, Queen, Robin Trower, John Martyn, Whitesnake, Joan Jett and Black Sabbath
    2)Archive footage from BBC music shows of the 1970s, including Pete Townshend of the Who, acoustic numbers by Davy Graham and Ralph McTell, and the talents of Americans Nils Lofgren and Ted Nugent. Also featured are performances by the Faces, Chris Spedding, the Runaways, Judas Priest, ZZ Top and the Cate Brothers

8pm Classic Albums: Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast (Sky Arts)

9pm Eric Clapton - Life 12 Bars (BBC2) New!
    Documentary profiling the blues guitarist, narrated by the man himself, as he charts his six decades in the music business, and why his insatiable desire to grow his artistic voice led him to quit a stream of successful bands, from the Yardbirds and John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers to short-lived supergroups Cream and Blind Faith. Clapton also talks about his battles with drugs and alcohol, his love for George Harrison's wife Pattie Boyd and the tragic loss of his son in an accident. Including archive interviews with BB King, George Harrison and Jimi Hendrix
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/10-things-we-learned-from-eric-clapton-life-in-12-bars-doc-w5165129

9pm-11pm Big Hits TOTP 1964-1975 (Yesterday)
    A selection of performances from the first years of Top of the Pops, featuring the Rolling Stones, Peter Sarstedt, Tom Jones, Stevie Wonder, Julie Driscoll, Queen, the Kinks, Procol Harum, Stealers Wheel, the Seekers and Status Quo

9pm-Midnight Download Festival 2018 (Sky Arts)
    Further highlights from the event held at Donington Park in Leicestershire, where headliners include Avenged Sevenfold, Alexisonfire and Bullet for My Valentine

11pm Sound Of Cinema - Music That Made The Movies (BBC4)
    Ep 2/3 Pop Goes the Soundtrack Neil Brand explores what makes a great film soundtrack, and reveals that in the second half of the 20th century composers embraced jazz, pop and rock to bring new energy to movie scores. Using the 1960s as an example, he shows how the James Bond features, Italy's spaghetti westerns and Disney's musicals utilised the talents of composers such as John Barry and Ennio Morricone, before the role of a composer changed when directors like Martin Scorsese began to employ carefully chosen pop songs. With contributions from Richard Sherman, Lalo Schifrin and David Arnold

11.05pm Film: Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll (BBC2)
    Biopic of highly influential punk singer Ian Dury, examining his lifelong struggle with the disability caused by contracting polio as a child, and the impact his rise to fame in the late 1970s and volatile personality had on those closest to him, particularly his son Baxter. Starring Andy Serkis, Bill Milner, Naomie Harris and Olivia Williams

Midnight L7 - Pretend We're Dead (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about the Los Angeles grunge pioneers, including home movies, rare performance footage and interviews with musicians including Joan Jett and Shirley Manson

Midnight Indie Classics at the BBC (BBC4)
    A trawl through the archives, revisiting some of the classic hits of the indie music genre through the 1980s and early '90s. Performers include Joy Division, Depech-eh Mode, the Smiths, Cocteau Twins and Primal Scream

1am Top Of The Pops 1985 - December 12th (BBC4)
    Same as Friday

1.30am Duran Duran - A Night In (BBC4)
    Same as Friday

1.50am Beat Beat Beat - Jimi Hendrix (Sky Arts)
    Guitar legend Jimi Hendrix performs a selection of his hits on the 1960s West German pop show. Only 10 minutes long, though.

Sunday
    9pm Festival Express (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary chronicling a five-day train ride and series of concerts across Canada in 1970 that featured Janis Joplin, the Grateful Dead and Buddy Guy among many more

9.30pm Hup (TG4)
    Waterford Showcase of traditional music from the South East, from Dungarvan's TradFest festival

10pm Port (TG4)
    Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh and Julie Fowlis visit the north-west of Scotland and are joined by musicians Michelle Mulcahy and Donal O'Connor. Together they meet singer Anne Martin and piper Angus Nicolson on the Isle of Skye, followed by fiddle players Angus Grant and Ewan Hnderson in Lochaber for conversation and lively musical performances

10.10pm & 2.40am Eric Clapton at the BBC (BBC4)
    Archive performances by the guitarist and songwriter, who has survived both personal trauma and drug abuse to build a wide and varied musical career. He began with R&B group the Yardbirds, before moving on to join John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. He also collaborated with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce in Cream, and worked with Steve Winwood and John Lennon. He now enjoys success as a solo performer, and is often acclaimed as one of the greatest guitarists of his generation

10.10pm Elvis Presley - The Searcher (Sky Atlantic)
    Part two of two. Conclusion of the documentary about the music legend, beginning with his return home after his Army discharge, and how he dealt with a rapidly changing pop scene

10.30pm Geantraí (TG4)
    A lively programme of traditional music from McManus's Pub, Dundalk, featuring the O'Connor family, Jim McKillop, Seamus Tansey and Zoe Conway

10.45pm Come Together: The Rise Of The Festival (Sky Arts)
    Documentary examining the evolution of the music festival, from Newport, Monterey Pop, Woodstock and Isle of Wight in the 1960s to modern events such as Glastonbury and Coachella

11pm-1.10am Glastonbury 2017 (BBC2)
    Jo Whiley and Mark Radcliffe introduce highlights from last years festival at Worthy Farm in Somerset, including a reminder of some of the big performances, stories and moments from the weekend's events

12.15am Pet Shop Boys: A Life In Pop (Sky Arts)
    Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe talk about their early days in the 1980s, and artists including Robbie Williams and Scissor Sisters' Jake Shears discuss the influence of the pop duo

1.30am Video Killed The Radio Star - Depeche Mode (Sky Arts)

That's about it, I'm surprised they haven't scheduled the classic Pop Quiz Special where Duran Duran battled Spandau Ballet for Friday, maybe Mike Read is clinging onto the broadcast rights

And I know James Corden is toxic to a lot of people, but If you only watch one James Corden Video this or any other week it should be the Paul McCartney Carpool Karaoke in Liverpool which I thought was genuinely great and lots of others did too

David Grant...Eddie Murphy’s inspiration for Soul Glo? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

David Grant...Eddie Murphy’s inspiration for Soul Glo? :D

My girl wants to party all the time ;)

BBC Four are really rattling through the 1985 episodes now...can’t wait for 1986!

Hopefully, my Sigue Sigue Sputnik outfit still fits :D

Don’t remember that Sun City record!

Steve Van Zandt rapping :O

• Advertisement

‘When Love Breaks Down’ by Prefab Sprout...all-time classic.

Paddy McAloon, songwriting genius. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Don’t remember that Sun City record!

Steve Van Zandt rapping :O

Just back from watching Little Steven and The Desciples of Soul in Vicar St.

If anyone gets the chance, go see them. Amazing. Knocked my socks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Wait, what? Go West were English? Wtf, I could have sworn they were American.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Just back from watching Little Steven and The Desciples of Soul in Vicar St.

If anyone gets the chance, go see them. Amazing. Knocked my socks off.

Wow, nice one. Sounds class.

Little Steven was in The Sopranos and The E Street Band at the same time, which is a nice Venn Diagram intersection place to be be.

I had only hear snippets of the Sun City song, its a cut above your average protest tune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

40 years of Duran Duran, if I'd killed my parents and sister I'd be out in half the time! :pac:

Seriously though it's hard to believe all that time has flown by and I find I like their music (well pre and post 1983/4 phase) more now than at the time when they were annoyingly ubiquitous. Eric Clapton is nailed on as well.

Not sure if this has been mentioned as I've hardly looked at this thread recently but there is chatter about Sky Arts being set free to roam FTA. Also talk of it being tweaked in terms of content but hopefully they'll still be showing concerts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I’ll be watching all the Duran Duran stuff tonight. There’s no footy on and I was a huge fan as a teenager. Still love them a bit. Bring it!

Bizarrely, I’m also looking forward to Duran Duran night! I think the extreme heat has affected my musics tastes!

:blush:

*applies blusher*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Girls on Film is a great tune.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Girls on Film is a great tune.

The video too :D

Don’t remember Jimmy Somerville dying his hair blonde :pac:

• Advertisement

I’ll be wearing a jacket similar to Larry Blackmon’s to the pub later on :)

Was that Danny John Jules aka Cat from ‘Red Dwarf’ in that Princess video?

Alan Partridge: "Let's have a bit of Duran Duran and listen to the dulcet tones of Simon Le Bon, which is actually French for Simon The Good".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Sky arts donnington coverage not a patch on what bbc do with other festivals as expected.

However, babymetal? Seriously? Crowd seem to like it but seems weird!

mollser wrote: »
    Sky arts donnington coverage not a patch on what bbc do with other festivals as expected.

However, babymetal? Seriously? Crowd seem to like it but seems weird!

Finally!

Lawnmower Deth on Sky Arts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Skid X wrote: »
    Wow, nice one. Sounds class.

Little Steven was in The Sopranos and The E Street Band at the same time, which is a nice Venn Diagram intersection place to be be.

I had only hear snippets of the Sun City song, its a cut above your average protest tune

[

Great track and great video - would be even better if it had titles to identify the familiar faces that I can't quite place. Here's a list from Wikipedia, really the creme de la creme of the US music industry at the time.
    When Van Zandt was finished writing "Sun City", he, Baker and Schechter spent the next several months searching for artists to participate in recording it. Van Zandt initially declined to invite Bruce Springsteen, not wanting to take advantage of their friendship, but Schechter had no problem asking himself; Springsteen accepted the invitation. Van Zandt also had reservations about inviting legendary jazz musician Miles Davis, whom Schechter also contacted; with minimal persuasion, Davis also accepted. Eventually, Van Zandt, Baker and Schechter would gather a wide array of artists, including Kool DJ Herc, Grandmaster Melle Mel, The Fat Boys, Rubén Blades, Bob Dylan, Herbie Hancock, Ringo Starr and his son Zak Starkey, Lou Reed, Run DMC, Peter Gabriel, David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, Darlene Love, Bobby Womack, Afrika Bambaataa, Kurtis Blow, Jackson Browne and then-girlfriend Daryl Hannah, U2, George Clinton, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Peter Wolf, Bonnie Raitt, Hall & Oates, Jimmy Cliff, Big Youth, Michael Monroe, Peter Garrett, Ron Carter, Ray Barretto, Gil-Scott Heron, Kashif, Nona Hendryx, Pete Townshend, Pat Benatar, Clarence Clemons, Stiv Bators and Joey Ramone.

303 tracks were mixed-down to create "Sun City." A music video directed by Jonathan Demme with Godley and Creme was also produced.

Guns ‘N’ Roses at Download right now on Sky Arts :cool:

But no Steven Adler? :confused:

Check it out, Butthead...fire!

Fire! Fire! Fire!

Heh heh heh!

Hi, TOTP is about to smash headfirst into 1986 and BBC4 obliges with the now usual documentary about the New Year to accompany the Premiere showing. There is also a new 80s thing with Midge and Kim (from Mel and Kim)

Eric Clapton was on BBC2 last week, now he's on Sky Arts with a recent doc. There's all sorts of Fleadh Ceoil action on the Irish channels, if you are into that.

For one week only, I have borrowed some listing from top Retro TV site TVCream.co.uk who among other things, do a weekly email of retro TV highlights across UK Television (Not just music) - well worth a look if that interests you ...

Thursday
    4.45pm Elvis '56 Special (Sky Arts)
    Documentary capturing the sights and sounds of a pivotal year in Elvis Presley's journey to become the king of rock 'n' roll, featuring rare footage, photos and recordings

Midnight Top Of The Pops 1985 - December 12th (BBC4)
    WIth Gary Davies & Janice, featuring Bronski Beat, Madonna (video), Cameo , Shakin’ Stevens, Whitney Houston and Wham! https://www.thetvdb.com/series/top-of-the-pops-uk/episodes/5858013
    (Doesn't appear to be an earlier broadcast, strangely)

12.20am Pet Shop Boys: A Life In Pop (Sky Arts)
    Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe talk about their early days in the 1980s, and artists including Robbie Williams and Scissor Sisters' Jake Shears discuss the influence of the pop duo

1.30am-4.30am Download Festival 2017 (Sky Arts)
    Part one of two. Highlights of the event held at Donington Park, Leicestershire, where the headliners were System of a Down, Biffy Clyro and Aerosmith

Friday
    11.45am The Legendary Bing Crosby (Sky Arts)
    Collection of some of Bing Crosby's most memorable performances, including his collaboration with David Bowie on The Little Drummer Boy in 1982. There are also performances with Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin and solo songs I Love Paris, Swanee and Ol' Man River. The singer's widow Kathryn and daughter Mary offer an insight into the life and career of this timeless entertainer, along with nostalgic clips of Crosby.

7pm Phil Collins: Going Back To Detroit (Sky Arts)
    The singer explores the roots and legacy of Detroit's unique music scene in the 1960s and 70s, as he joins the Funk Brothers to record an album of his favourite Motown hits

7.30pm & 11pm Top Of The Pops 1985 - Christmas Day (BBC4) (The repeat is a full hour, the early showing is only 30 mins)
    Gary Davies, Janice Long, Dixie Peach, John Peel and Steve Wright present the most popular hits of 1985. With Alison Moyet, Paul Young, Feargal Sharkey, King, Dead or Alive, Billy Ocean, Colonel Abrams and Baltimora.
    In the words of excellent UK Retro Culture Website http://www.tvcream.co.uk/ "Well, here’s something we didn’t expect to be seeing! The 1985 Christmas show was actually repeated on Channel 5 just before this repeat run began in 2010, but given Jonathan King is hanging around the studio like a bad smell, we assumed we wouldn’t get it here. But seemingly they’ve worked out a way around it, and while the early showing is an especially savage half hour edit, it looks like we’re getting near enough the full hour - within reason - later on. As for the show itself, much like the rest of the year, it’s not an especially vintage instalment, as like the regular shows we get umpteen clips of videos, while compared to the Band Aid-boosted line-up twelve months ago, the guest list is pretty threadbare. Still, we’ve got Peel involved so it can’t be a complete write-off"

8pm & 2.30am Top Of The Pops: The Story of 1986 (BBC4) New!
    Also from TV Cream "We reckon these shows are now the best music documentaries on telly and we always look forward to them, as they always uncover some fascinating clips and find some interesting and amusing interviewees. We also like how they always end with a look ahead to the following year as if they’ve already made programmes for every year up to 2006. As for the year itself, which you’ll note will take us past a decade of these repeats, we think it’s a step up from 1985, as the show finally gets to grips with the half hour and loses some of the duller bits like the Top 10 Videos, and musically it livens up a bit with a few fewer power ballads, but on the minus side we lose Yellow Pearl and, sadly, the audience dancing at the end which seems to suggest a budget cut and the show becoming less of a spectacle. But it’s still absolutely fascinating, as ever."

8pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Peter Gabriel (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star - George Michael (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Fleadh Ceoil (RTE1)
    John Creedon and Aoibhinn Ni Shuilleabhain present from the Ennis Fleadh Cheoil, introducing music by Duchas, the Nesbitt Family, and Co Clare musicians Therese McInerney, Brian and Keith O'Loughlin and Brian Donnellan

9pm & 12.30am Top Of The Pops Big Hits 1986 (BBC4) New!
    A look back at some of the records that dominated the year, featuring songs by Bon Jovi, Cyndi Lauper, Cameo, the Pretenders, the Real Thing, Billy Ocean and the Communards. Other highlights include the Housemartins, Kim Wilde, the Human League and the Cure

9.40pm Freddie Mercury - The Great Pretender (Sky Arts)
    Profile of the Queen frontman, exploring his time away from the band - including a collaboration with Michael Jackson and the triumphant Barcelona duet with Montserrat Caballe. The programme also examines his life as a gay man who was not yet publicly out. Featuring archive footage and interviews with bandmates Brian May and Roger Taylor, as well as friends and admirers including Paul Gambaccini, Montserrat Caballe and Matt Lucas

10pm Smashing Hits! The 80s Pop Map Of Britain and Ireland (BBC4) New!
    New series. Midge Ure, lead singer of Ultravox and one of the men behind Band Aid, and Kim Appleby, who had a string of hits with her sister Mel in the Stock, Aitken & Waterman-produced band Mel and Kim, revisit the 1980s to determine why certain cities produced their own diverse tunes. In the first episode, they explore London's New Romantic movement, travel to Coventry to investigate the rise of Ska and speak to some of Sheffield's electronic music pioneers

10.40pm Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert (Sky Arts)
    The 1992 concert at Wembley Stadium in honour of the Queen frontman, which featured performances by David Bowie, Elton John, Annie Lennox, Axl Rose, Roger Daltrey, Liza Minnelli, Robert Plant, Seal, Slash and George Michael. Featuring rehearsal footage and interviews with Queen members Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon

Midnight Chalkie Davies: Rock Photographer (BBC4)
    Documentary following the preparations for the former New Musical Express photographer's first major exhibition at the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff. Chalkie, who became a favourite among punk and new wave bands such as the Clash, the Specials and Squeeze, looks back on an extraordinary life behind the camera, while old friends including Elvis Costello reflect on how his images have proved so enduring

12.30am The Cure: Trilogy live in Berlin 20025 (Sky Arts)

1.30am Shirley Bassey at the BBC (BBC4)
    Compilation of Shirley Bassey's many performances at the BBC. Not the show with David Walliams which RTE bizarrely advertised during every single World Cup Ad break.

1.50am-4.50am Download Festival 2018 (Sky Arts)
    Further highlights from the event held at Donington Park in Leicestershire, where headliners include Avenged Sevenfold, Alexisonfire and Bullet for My Valentine. (And Guns And Roses)

Saturday
    3pm The Hollies : Look Through Any Window (Sky Arts)
    Profile of the band, including an interview with members Graham Nash, Allan Clarke, Tony Hicks and Bobby Elliott and archive TV performances by the group from 1963 to 1975

5.30pm Festival Express (Sky Arts)
    Documentary chronicling a five-day train ride and series of concerts across Canada in 1970 that featured Janis Joplin, the Grateful Dead and Buddy Guy among many more. This was on last week

7pm Britpop Now (Yesterday)
    Damon Albarn presents a compilation of live performances originally broadcast in 1995, providing a snapshot of British music in the Britpop era. Featuring Blur, Pulp, Supergrass, Elastica, PJ Harvey, the Boo Radleys, Echobelly, Gene, Sleeper, Menswear, Powder and Marion.

7.15pm Santana Live at Montreux 2011 (Sky Arts)

8pm Disco at the BBC (Yesterday)

9pm Eric Clapton - Planes, Trains and Eric (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary film following the guitarist on the Far and Middle Eastern legs of his 2014 world tour, featuring interviews, backstage footage and concert performances

9pm Love Songs at the BBC (Yesterday)

10pm Motown at the BBC (Yesterday)

10.45pm Eric Clapton - Live in California 2001 (Sky Arts)

11pm Sound of Cinema - The Music That Made The Movies (BBC4)
    Ep 3/3 Last in Series

11.30pm Film: Behind The Candelabra (BBC2)
    Biopic of pianist Liberace, following his relationship with his younger lover Scott Thorson. Introduced into the flamboyant entertainer's hedonistic world at a Las Vegas show in 1977, Thorson began a tempestuous five-year love affair with Liberace, while maintaining the public illusion of simply being an employee. Directed by Steven Soderbergh and starring Michael Douglas and Matt Damon

Midnight Top Of The Pops 1985 - Christmas Day (BBC4)
    As Friday

Midnight BB King Live In Concert at The Royal Albert Hall 2011(Sky Arts)

1am Smashing Hits! The 80s Pop Map Of Britain and Ireland (BBC4)
    As Friday

1.45am Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock (Sky Arts)
    Highlights from the guitarist's set at the 1969 festival, including Purple Haze, Voodoo Chile and Hear My Train a Comin' and an extraordinary rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner

2am Je t'Aime - The Story of French Song with Petula Clark (BBC4)
    The celebrated singer recounts the story of the lyric-driven French chanson, looking at examples of the form and the artists who have exemplified it. Performers considered include Charles Aznavour, Juliette Greco, Anna Karina and Jane Birkin, together with contemporary artists such as Stromae, Zaz, Tetes Raides and Etienne Daho

Sunday
    7pm Carole King - Tapestry Live From Hyde Park (Sky Arts)
    The singer-songwriter performs her 1971 album Tapestry in front of 65,000 people in the central London park

8pm Fleadh TV (TG4) New!
    New series. The best traditional and folk music from this year's Fleadh Provincials, beginning in Ballinamore, Co Leitrim

8.15pm Paul Simon Live At Hyde Park (Sky Arts)
    The American singer-songwriter performs a career-spanning set at the 2012 Hard Rock Calling festival in London's Hyde Park

9.30pm The Rolling Stones Return To Hyde Park - Sweet Summer Sun (Sky Arts)
    2013 Concert

10pm Hup (TG4)
    Music from the Ed Reavy Trad Fest in Co Cavan, featuring performances from trad/blues fusion group Portherhead and piper Padraig McGovern

10.30pm Port (TG4)
    Kerry Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh and Julie Fowlis visit the Dingle peninsula and are joined by singer James Graham and musician Iain MacFarlane. Together, they meet bands Lumiere and Cuas, followed by Padraig O Se for lively musical performances

10.45pm Freddie Mercury -The Great Pretender (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

11.30pm Geantrai (TG4)
    A lively programme of traditional music from Characters Pub, Tullamore, featuring Kevin Burke, Brian Hughes, Maura Connelly and Denis Ryan

12.30am XTC This Is Pop (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the career of English rock band XTC, who formed in Swindon in 1972 and became one of Britain's most influential yet unsung bands

That XTC Doc was well received when it was first broadcast , well worth a look. It doesn't seem to be on Youtube in full but there are two complete early Docs, namely XTC at the Manor (1980) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne35P7kbucs and XTC - Play at Home (1984) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsuHGRo2KLs

Best place to find Lee Marvin's Number One Smash Hit Wand'rin' Star This Week would be Paint Your Wagon (TG4, Friday 9.05pm)
    Also features the B Side, Clint Eastwood's I Talk To The Trees. They don't make them like they used to ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Must say I enjoyed the Durand Durand programmes though drew the line at watching the concert from a few years back.

re XTC - they should have been so much bigger than they were. I was into them from the off so good is my taste :)

Advertisement