Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Prong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Prong.

Sepultura weren't bad not long after.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello, this week sees the return of Other Voices and a new film about the X Ray Spex singer on Sky. But if you like repeats, you are in the right place ...

Thursday
    12pm ish RTE Choice Music Prize (RTE Player & 2FM)
    https://2fm.rte.ie/rte-choice-music/
    The Irish Album of the Year 2020 will be announced live on RTÉ 2FM on the special Tracy Clifford Show from 12-3pm on Thursday 4th March and broadcast live on RTÉ Player. The show will feature live performances from some of the shortlisted acts, further details on the line-up will be announced. A special RTÉ Choice Music Prize highlights programme will be broadcast on RTÉ2 television the following week.

9pm Framing Britney Spears (Sky Documentaries)

11.05pm Other Voices (RTE2) New!
    New series. Music show presented by May Kay and Huw Stephens, featuring Hozier, Fontaines DC, Elbow, Pillow Queens, Rhiannon Giddens and more

11.30pm Top Of The Pops – The Story of 1986 (BBC2)

Friday
    7pm & 1.30am Classic Albums: Carly Simon – No Secrets (BBC4)
    Carly Simon will be coming around again on Sky Arts later tonight, ahem

8pm Soundbreaking (Sky Arts)
    Ep3 The Human Instrument

8pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – September 20 (BBC4)
    Nicky Campbell hosts the edition first aired on September 20, with performances by artists including Snap!, the Charlatans, the Farm, MC Tunes versus 808 State, Steve Miller Band, the Stone Roses and Twenty 4 Seven featuring Captain Hollywood

8pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – September 27 (BBC4)
    Anthea Turner hosts the edition first aired on September 27, with performances by artists including Londonbeat, the Wedding Present, Status Quo, Bass-O-Matic, Maria McKee, Monie Love featuring True Image and Depeche Mode

9pm & 2.30am Joan Armatrading – Me Myself I (BBC4)
    The singer has for the first time granted access to her life and music. In this film she recounts her story from Caribbean emigre to being one of the most revered songwriters of her generation. The film covers Joan's childhood in Birmingham, her involvement in the musical Hair in 1968, her musical partnership with songwriter Pam Nestor and the relationship later forged with rock producer Glyn Johns

9pm Brian Johnson’s A Life On The Road – Joe Walsh (Sky Arts)
    Him off The Eagles

10pm The Kate Bush Story – Running Up That Hill (BBC4)
    Documentary exploring the singer-songwriter's career and music from her 1978 debut single Wuthering Heights to her 2011 album 50 Words for Snow with testimony from collaborators, fellow artists inspired by her work and fans. Featuring David Gilmour, the guitarist who discovered Bush, as well as Peter Gabriel, Elton John, Stephen Fry, Outkast's Big Boi and Steve Coogan
    It's also on Youtube

10pm The Great Songwriters – Carly Simon (Sky Arts)

10pm Later … With Jools Holland (BBC2)
    Jools welcomes global superstar Tom Jones into his studio to discuss his musical journey, loves and influences, illustrated by classic clips from the show. Also features Wolf Alice

11pm Aretha Franklin – RESPECT (BBC4)
    A thirty minute tribute to the Queen Of Soul featuring Tom Jones, Beverley Knight and others

11pm The Jam Live At Rockpalast 1980 (Sky Arts)

11.25pm Sruth (TG4)
    Megan Nic Fhionnghaile & Pàdruig Morrison

11.30pm TOTP2 – Girl Groups (BBC4)

11.35pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Same as yesterday

Midnight Loolapalooza 2019 (MTV Music)

12.30am Our Musical History – Vocal Giants with Beverley Knight And James Morrison (BBC4)

12.30am Long Hot Summers – The Story Of The Style Council (Sky Arts)

12.35am Country Music (RTE2)
    Ep 3

2am Dire Straits – Alchemy Live 1983 (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    4pm Culture Club Live At Baloise Session 2017 (Sky Arts)

6pm Duran Duran – A Diamond In The Mind (Sky Arts)
    2011 gig

8pm The Great Songwriters - Carly Simon (Sky Arts)

8.15pm Top Of The Pops - The Story Of 1978 (BBC2)
    This is followed by two Dave Allen shows. No music in that, but sure Dave’s shows used to be entertaining.

9pm Poly Styrene – I Am A Cliché (Sky Arts) New!
    Celeste Bell embarks on a journey across three continents to explore the legacy of her mother - X-Ray Spex founder member Poly Styrene
    https://www.polystyrenefilm.net/

10pm-Midnight Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)

11pm White Riot (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story of a vital national protest movement - Rock Against Racism, formed in 1976 when a group of artists united to take on the National Front

11.40pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – September 20 (BBC4)
    12.10am Top Of The Pops 1990 – September 27 (BBC4)

Midnight David Bowie – Finding Fame (Yesterday)
    The final part of Francis Whately's trilogy of films on Bowie's life, telling the story of the five years when many of the ideas that would help him become an icon were first born. Starting in 1966, soon after David Jones changed his name to David Bowie, the film traces his interest in everything from Holst and Pinky and Perky to Anthony Newley and Tibetan Buddhism, and how he used all of these influences to create not only Ziggy Stardust, but the material for his entire career

12.40am Girls In Bands At The BBC (BBC4)

12.40am Sex Pistols – There’ll Always Be An England (Sky Arts)
    2007 reunion gig

12.55am Top Of The Pops Big Hits 1978 (BBC2)
    This might look like a filler, but it’s followed by three hours of live sailing
    I don’t think Rod Stewart appears in either show

2.05am The Damned – Don’t You Wish That We Were Dead (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the complex history of the influential punk band, who formed in London in 1976

Sunday
    9pm Belushi (Sky Documentaries)

9.30pm Sruth (TG4)
    Niall Hanna and Brigidh Chaimbeul

10.35pm Geantrai (TG4)
    From Larkins in Kilkenny, featuring Sandra Joyce, Niall Keegan, Gerry Banjo O'Connor and family and singer Nora Butler

11pm Searching For Sugar Man (Sky Documentaries)
    Documentary following two fans in search of their musical idol. American singer Sixto Rodriguez enjoyed a brief recording career in the 1970s before fading into obscurity. However, his politically conscious music became incredibly popular in South Africa. Bizarre stories of his death had circulated over the years, but two devotees plan to find out what really became of him

11.50pm Classic Arists – Jim Hendrix (Sky Arts)
    1.45am Classic Albums: Jimi Hendrix – Electric Ladyland (Sky Arts)

Looking ahead to Monday, there is a new series of My Tribe / Mo Threibh on RTE at 7.30pm
    “With narration by Peter Coonan, the series goes behind the newspaper headlines to discover the real Hip Hop crews, Indie kids, Ravers and Metallers, exploring the passion, dedication and sense of belonging that their tribe gives them. These are worlds that are rarely seen or experienced on Irish television, lifting the lid on the underground of some fascinating subcultures. “ It’s in Irish and English

It looks like BBC Three will be returning to Television next year so that'll be handy for when the BBC are trying to cram in all their Glastonbury coverage https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/mar/02/bbc-three-to-return-as-broadcast-channel-next-year

Weird Doc from the archives is this one where Bucks Fizz somehow lost their name to David Van Day from Dollar, so there was two Bucks Fizzes going at the same time. Which is at least one too many

13 Welsh Singers/Bands have reached the top of the UK singles charts. How many can you name?, I reckon seven is a decent score. The answer is in this link
    https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/every-uk-number-1-single-by-welsh-acts__18343/

Finally, the Best When You Were Sweet Sixteen / Come Out Ye Black And Tans/ Men Behind The Wire Medley Of The Week might be this one from Martin Brennan of Sligo (This Time With Alan Partridge Ep 4 GOLD Friday 9pm, all 6 episodes are repeated on that channel this week)

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1108852822378983424

If you are looking to buy a tortoise, you go to Martin. He knows a man in Kildare who does them, but you talk to Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Thanks Skid-diddly-doo :)

Looking forward to the Poly Styrene documentary!

Seriously, if you don’t like this record, you are dead inside (and will result in your family being interviewed on the ‘Late Late Show’ about how ‘awful’ it must be)...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Nice one, Skid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭thebronze14

The first TOTP this week has some lineup!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭corkie

Thanks @Skid X.

Normally share a link to your post, in a gaming community website, weekly.

Site is down due to PHP server update, any friends from that visiting here, it should hopefully be resolved in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Great post Skid.

Specially this.
    10.35pm Geantrai (TG4)
    From Larkins in Kilkenny, featuring Sandra Joyce, Niall Keegan, Gerry Banjo O'Connor and family and singer Nora Butler

Tipperary people fraternizing with the Kilkenny crowd. My father would turn in his grave.

I know Gerry since my teens. His brother and myself are in the same ever dwindling motorcycle club. At the last count we had three bikes and 10 members.

Nora was my grandmother's first cousin. She died last year. A beautiful singer who spent her life, basically, singing. No better woman to turn up at a nursing home of an afternoon and give the residents a treat.

May your god be with the days. (Hat tip to Dave Allen) ^^^^^^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

corkie wrote: »
    Thanks @Skid X.

Normally share a link to your post, in a gaming community website, weekly.

Site is down due to PHP server update, any friends from that visiting here, it should hopefully be resolved in a day or two.

I collate Skid's posts and send them to a couple offriends, depending on their musical tastes. One who died two years ago would be barking at me by lunchtime thursday if my update hadn't come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I got 6 Welsh acts :)
    Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Bonnie Tyler, Shakin' Stevens, Manic Street Preachers, Stereophonics

Didn't know
    Mary Hopkins or Duffy
    were Welsh

Unfortunately
    The Alarm, Super Furry Animals and Catatonia
    never had a number 1.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I got 6 Welsh acts :)
    Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Bonnie Tyler, Shakin' Stevens, Manic Street Preachers, Stereophonics

Didn't know
    Mary Hopkins or Duffy
    were Welsh

Unfortunately
    The Alarm, Super Furry Animals and Catatonia
    never had a number 1.
    Of the last three artists you mentioned, only
    Catatonia
    ever even had a top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Of the last three artists you mentioned, only
    Catatonia
    ever even had a top 10.
    SFA
    are the act with the most top 40 hits without making the top 10
    (and fellow countrymen Gorky's Zygotic Mynci have the most top 75 singles without making the top 40. Luck of the Welsh eh?)

FLOPTOPSCHE!!

VapidConventionalDunnart-size_restricted.gif

Will Deee-Lite make it to number two this week?

Has Ian Brown had his jab yet? :pac:

Needs more keytars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Will Deee-Lite make it to number two this week?

Baffling how that didn't make it to number one

I sat through Nicky Campbell presenting Wheel Of Fortune earlier today on Challenge (a lad from Northern Ireland won a car)

I know there's not much on at the moment but twice in one day is Nickydiculous

YOU’VE BIN...THUNDERSTRUCK!! :cool:

tenor.gif

Looked like Phill Jupitus doppelganger wearing the 501 t-shirt applauding Thunderstruck there. "Yeah, great"...

• Advertisement

Amazing how Brian Johnson talking is typical gordie accent then he starts singing and doesnt even sound like the same person.

Fun little fact, the first song he ever wrote for acdc was you shook me all night long

dasdog wrote: »
    Looked like Phill Jupitus doppelganger wearing the 501 t-shirt applauding Thunderstruck there. "Yeah, great"...

I bet when he's talking to people that lad still brings up "that time he was on top of the pops"

DistortedElderlyConey-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I remember watching this In my Nans house and she giving out about the lads in the Charlatans with hair hanging in their faces.

(weekly ‘Play Faith No More’ post)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Up The Irons!

That Maiden video reminds me of Slade from Reeves and Mortimer

Groovy Rail Replacement Bus Service.

I remember watching this In my Nans house and she giving out about the lads in the Charlatans with hair hanging in their faces.

I saw them for all of five minutes a couple of years ago supporting Primal Scream when tickets stopped being made of cardboard and started getting posted in regular white envelopes. Found the damn thing in what I thought was a bank statement or whatever after searching for about two hours. Made it I suppose with the added bonus of missing Fun Loving Criminals who were first on the lineup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

That lad likes playing his Telecaster up high.

Advertisement