Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Poly Styrene documentary just starting on Sky Arts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Love her

Hey welshie I walked in on a best Welsh band chat recently, there wasn’t much happening so I dropped this and walked away, and nobody cared :)

Hey welshie I walked in on a best Welsh band chat recently, there wasn’t much happening so I dropped this and walked away, and nobody cared :)

Most Welshies (including moi) would say Super Furry Animals :)

Always difficult to categorise, never sold out, could move through various genres, could be experimental and commercial if they wanted to, bought Welsh-language music to a mainstream audience...and songs about guacamole :D

Most Welshies (including moi) would say Super Furry Animals :)

Always difficult to categorise, never sold out, could move through various genres, could be experimental and commercial if they wanted to, bought Welsh-language music to a mainstream audience...and songs about guacamole :D

That’s why I dropped the budgie bomb , it was endless furries vs mannics vs the of catatonia , good to mix it up a bit , they are a registered influence of Metallica after all and no doubt get a massive annual royalty check from them for their two covers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Kate Bush is pure class. Haven’t seen a version of ‘Wuthering Heights’ without the ballet-esque dancing before.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello, and a special welcome to anyone reading this on Corkie's Gaming website and to Sligojoek's buddies and sure anyone else out there. :)

What might on this week? - Well BBC2 has a new doc on Billie Holliday (because they want to) and Sky has a thing about the New Romantics in London. A few other bits and bobs as always, lets have a look ...

Thursday
    11pm Belushi (Sky Documentaries)

11.05pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Music from Rhiannon Giddens, Cinder Well and Aoife Nessa Frances

Friday
    4pm Music Icons – Creedence Clearwater Revival (Sky Arts)

7.30pm Sounds Of The Sixties (BBC4)

8pm Soundbreaking (Sky Arts)
    Ep 3 Going Electric Music by the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Wonder and the Who illustrates the revolutionary role electricity has played in creating never-before-heard sounds

8pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – October 4 (BBC4)
    Simon Mayo hosts the edition first aired on October 4, with performances by artists including Twenty 4 Seven featuring Captain Hollywood, Pet Shop Boys, MC Tunes versus 808 State, Hi Tek 3 featuring Ya Kid K, MC Hammer, Technotronic, Bobby Vinton and Maria McKee

8.30pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – October 11 (BBC4)
    Bruno Brookes hosts the edition first aired on October 11, with performances by artists including the Sisters of Mercy, the Chimes, the Beautiful South, Neneh Cherry, Monie Love featuring True Image, Cliff Richard, Status Quo, New Kids on the Block, Maria McKee and Depeche Mode

9pm & 1am Meat Loaf – In And Out Of Hell (BBC4)
    A profile of the rock star's life and career, reflecting on the music that propelled him to fame and charting his journey from an overweight, bullied child to his larger-than-life persona and icon status. Featuring an interview and performance by the singer, as well as backstage footage from a Las Vegas concert. This has been on several times on BBC4 and Yesterday, strange to see it getting a primetime repeat

9pm Brian Johnson’s A Life On The Road – Paul Rodgers (Sky Arts)
    Paul Rodgers and Nile Rodgers are not related, alas

10pm Later … With Jools Holland (BBC2)
    With Paul Weller, Laura Mvula and some people called 'Dry Cleaning'

10pm & 2am Eric Burdon – Rock And Roll Animal (BBC4)
    How pop group the Animals were important standard bearers of the 'British Invasion' of America, behind the Beatles but ahead of the Rolling Stones, the Who and the Kinks. Alongside his passion for original American blues, frontman Eric Burdon got together in the late 1960s with the black LA band WAR - itself a political statement in the Black Panther era - and, inspired by Charlie Parker, John Coltrane and Rahsaan Roland Kirk, expanded his musical spectrum with jazz and funk

10pm The Great Songwriters – Chuck D (Sky Arts)

11pm Robert Plant – By Myself (BBC4)
    The singer discusses his varied life and musical career, including his upbringing in the West Midlands town of Stourbridge, his rise to stardom as the singer of influential rock band Led Zeppelin and his solo projects

11pm Poly Styrene – I Am Cliché (Sky Arts)
    Celeste Bell embarks on a journey across three continents to explore the legacy of her mother - X-Ray Spex founder member Poly Styrene. Repeat from last week

11pm Sruth (TG4)
    Niall Hanna & Brìghde Chaimbeul

11.35pm Other Voices (RTE2)

Midnight Southern Rock At The BBC (BBC4)
    Featuring Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Charlie Daniels Band, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Delaney & Bonnie with Eric Clapton, Dickey Betts, formerly of the Allman Brothers Band, the Marshall Tucker Band, Black Oak Arkansas, Greg Allman with Cher, and Edgar Winter

12.35am Country Music (RTE2)

12.05am Ceol On Chlann – The Bachelors (TG4)

12.45am The Go-Gos (Sky Documentaries)

1am White Riot (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story of a vital national protest movement - Rock Against Racism, formed in 1976 when a group of artists united to take on the National Front

2.45am Oasis Live At Barrowlands 2001 (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    6pm Alicia Keyes Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

8pm Top Of The Pops – The Story Of 1980 (BBC2)

8pm The Great Songwriters – Chuck D (Sky Arts)

9pm Blitzed – The 80s Blitz Kids Story (Sky Arts) New!
    The history of the London venue, which became the Soho equivalent of Studio 54 and was frequented by Boy George, Spandau Ballet, Visage, Ultravox and Sade. This sort of thing https://shapersofthe80s.com/blitz-kids/

9.45pm Billie – In Search Of Billie Holliday (BBC2) New!
    A profile of the American jazz singer, capturing her depths and complexity through interviews conducted by journalist Linda Lipnack Kuehl with those who knew her best. With contributions by Charles Mingus, Tony Bennett, Sylvia Syms and Count Basie, as well as her cousin, schoolfriends, lovers, lawyers, pimps and even the FBI agents who arrested her
    https://text.npr.org/940104383

11pm David Bowie - Glass Spider Tour (Sky Arts)
    1987 from Sydney

11pm Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)

11.20pm Decent Film - More details at the bottom (BBC2)

11.25pm Dolly Parton at Glastonbury 2014 (BBC4)

12.35am Country Kings At The BBC (BBC4)
    With things like Everly Brothers and Jerry Lee Lewis, Garth Brooks and Willie Nelson. Featuring classic songs from studio shows by Glen Campbell, Charley Pride, George Hamilton IV, Kenny Rogers, Clint Black, Johnny Cash and Eric Church

1am Jazz Divas Gold (BBC2)
    Featuring Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, Blossom Dearie, Nina Simone, Cleo Laine, Marion Montgomery, Betty Carter, Sarah Vaughan, Eartha Kitt and Amy Winehouse

1.05am Video Killed The Radio Star – David Bowie (Sky Arts)

1.30am Sade Live 2011 (Sky Arts)

1.35am Top Of The Pops 1990 – October 4 (BBC4)
    2.05am Top Of The Pops 1990 – October 11 (BBC4)

Sunday
    8.30pm Comhludar Cheoil (TG4) New!
    Music series in which Dáithí Ó Sé meets with some of Ireland's musical bands and families. In this first edition, Dáithí meets the O'Connor family - Gerry, Dónal, Siúbhán, Feilimí and Finnian

9pm The Beatles: Eight Days A Week – The Touring Years (Sky Documentaries)

9.30pm Sruth (TG4)
    Lauren O’Neill and Ali Levack

10.35pm Geantrai (TG4)
    From The Burren in Boston, featuring music by Tommy and Louise McCarthy with Peter Molloy and Fabai Joyce. Plus, Tommy Peoples and Johnny O'Leary

10.50pm Britain’s Favourite 80s Songs (Channel 5)
    Janice Long recalls the hits of 1982, when ABC, Culture Club, Musical Youth, Tears for Fears, the Stranglers, Kraftwerk, the Jam, Yazoo, and the Goombay Dance Band made their way up the charts. Toyah Willcox, Paul Gambaccini, Cheryl Baker and Clare Grogan add their thoughts on the era

11pm RTE Choice Music Awards 2021 (RTE2)
    This was on over a week ago but RTE2 have so much good stuff on they are only getting around to it now. Or maybe not

And if you see anything else do let us know, you know

BBC have a repeat of a show called 'Comedy Vaults - BBC2's Hidden Treasure' on Friday at 9pm which has this brief clip of a curious pilot show which Madness did years ago. Suggs was Primeminister after Thatcher returned to her home planet. It never made it to a series, Richard Curtis and Ben Elton turned their hands to Blackadder instead
    Apparently the full show exists on a Madness DVD somewhere. There's a podcast about it here https://open.spotify.com/episode/0Kp1jGhkRQpS9Xf3ShYqXa

MC Hammer on TOTP this week, scientists at the Queensland Brain Institute have discovered that some baby fishes brains light up when they hear You Can't Touch This. Money well spent there.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/video/2021/mar/04/hammer-time-baby-fish-brain-lights-up-listening-to-u-cant-touch-this-video

There are a few livestreams on the St Patrick's Day Festival online and simulcast on Oireachtas TV (the home of live music!)
    https://www.stpatricksfestival.ie/blog/st-patrick-s-festival-announce-historic-partnership-with-oireachtas
    https://www.stpatricksfestival.ie/events

After the recent Welshie Chart Quiz here's a look at what the Official Chart Company claims are the Irish Acts to reach Number One in the UK
    It's a bit unreliable as they can't decide on the Nordies, and are also claiming Gilbert O'Sullivan isn't Irish because he lives in Jersey.

Sure Gilbert is there for the tax break, no more than Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran and all that lot did when they came here in the early 80s. Maybe that makes them Irish ?

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/every-uk-number-1-single-by-irish-acts__25774/

Anyway, the Best film that contains lots of drumming that is Not Quite My Tempo of the week is the excellent Whiplash (BBC2 Saturday 11.20pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Thanks Skid - great as usual and some interesting catch up's for me as well as new airings.
    Skid X wrote: »
    10pm Later … With Jools Holland (BBC2)
    With Paul Weller, Laura Mvula and some people called 'Dry Cleaning'
    Ah they are class. Probably will perform their latest sardonic single as their debut album gets released in April I think. Saw their first gig outside the UK a couple of years ago - a hefty €12.50 entrance fee with about 30 in attendance - and yes it is almost all spoken word with some good new young 'un musicians :pac:

Been dipping my toe in to the "Word In Your Ear" video podcast on YouTube when I've had time the past week which might be of interest here. Yesterday's guest was Bob Harris whom I must confess I thought was eh, no longer with us shall we say. But some other interesting ones I've watched - Midge Ure, Danny (not Baker) Kelly, David Fricke (Rolling Stone journalist - in plenty of Sky Arts/BBC music docs), Bernard Doherty (did PR for Live Aid).

Basically they are memorabilia meets anecdotes meets vinyl Zoom recordings with a good dose of Smashie and Nicey but well worth a browse:

https://www.youtube.com/c/WordInYourEar/videos

dasdog wrote: »
    Thanks Skid - great as usual and some interesting catch up's for me as well as new airings.

Ah they are class. Probably will perform their latest sardonic single as their debut album gets released in April I think. Saw their first gig outside the UK a couple of years ago - a hefty €12.50 entrance fee with about 30 in attendance - and yes it is almost all spoken word with some good new young 'un musicians :pac:

Been dipping my toe in to the "Word In Your Ear" video podcast on YouTube when I've had time the past week which might be of interest here. Yesterday's guest was Bob Harris whom I must confess I thought was eh, no longer with us shall we say. But some other interesting ones I've watched - Midge Ure, Danny (not Baker) Kelly, David Fricke (Rolling Stone journalist - in plenty of Sky Arts/BBC music docs), Bernard Doherty (did PR for Live Aid).

Basically they are memorabilia meets anecdotes meets vinyl Zoom recordings with a good dose of Smashie and Nicey but well worth a browse:

https://www.youtube.com/c/WordInYourEar/videos

Ah, fair play Dasdog - I must give Dry Cleaning a listen.

I'm drowning in podcasts at the moment but that Word In Your Ear one sounds decent. Glowing review of it here

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/word-in-your-ear-podcast-interview

Just watched Julian Temple’s documentary about Shane MacGowan, ‘Crock Of Gold’.

Good stuff, although I genuinely cringed at Johnny Depp’s continuous attempts to align himself with ‘rogues’ (Shane, Keef, Hunter S. Thompson) :rolleyes:

Got dust in my eyes when Miggledy presented him with the award at the NCH :(:)
    sligojoek wrote: »
    Waiting for a copy. Apparently I'm in it for a minute or two

Crock Of Gold - A Few Rounds With Shane MacGowan gets an airing on BBC4 on Tuesday (March 16th) at 10pm

• Advertisement

TAPPYPAPPY!

giphy.gif

MC Hammer had another song?

200.gif

WEEKLY ‘PLAY MEGADETH’ KLAXON!!

Simon Mayo setting the trend for Gulf War reporting beige suits that will soon arrive.

I remember The Pet Shop Boys performing this on the Mary Whitehouse Experience

"Neil, do you want to come back here and do the keyboards for a bit? Neil? ":)

Technotronic Megamix.

Two words to make you shudder :D

Technotronic Megamix.

Jive Bunny might have been inspiration for this

Not so sure about Michael Bolton, I’ll mullet over.

:cool:

Let's sample the "I am the resurrection" bass break...it really doesn't work at all.

Edit: And they are using Atari ST's

MC Hammer, MC Tunes and (Maria) McKee all on the same show

McTOTP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Shiney trackies.

Members of the Beautiful South covered in white powder.

Had they been to one of Gerry Ryan’s house parties?

Simon Mayo said at the end of that MC Tunes performance that Tunes split the Atom was destined to be a Karaoke classic

Yeah, it's either that or New York, New York.

Members of the Beautiful South covered in white powder.

Had they been to one of Gerry Ryan’s house parties?

The allegations are completely unfounded.

What no megamix, Vinton?

Sort it out! :D

Oh-oh-oh, show me Kevin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

dasdog wrote: »
    The allegations are completely unfounded.

Lol, we were shown that in secondary school.

Sisters of Mercy. Iggy Pop plays 'Dominion' on Liberty Rock Radio.

SISTERS!

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

With added Poundland Slash. :D

Advertisement