Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was on BBC4 for a millisecond. Will send proof to WM

• Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

sligojoek wrote: »

I can indeed confirm that a boardsie has made an appearance on BBC Four :)

We now expect sligo to be as ubiquitous on the channel as Nile Rodgers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It was an excellent documentary. A range of thoughts watching it, it was engrossing and seemed to really capture the man

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Were you a patron of one of the bars featured in it by any chance? Was curious to know what bars were featured throughout. I think Kennedys put in an appearance somewhere and maybe that other bar just outside Puckane, can never remember name of. And that bar shane used to go to in nenagh, can't recall name of that either!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Were you a patron of one of the bars featured in it by any chance? Was curious to know what bars were featured throughout. I think Kennedys put in an appearance somewhere and maybe that other bar just outside Puckane, can never remember name of. And that bar shane used to go to in nenagh, can't recall name of that either!

I was.

I haven't watched the whole thing yet. I don't know if Kennedy's is in it. The pub in Nenagh where he sang "Kitty" was the Kiwi bar, formerly Joe Corcoran's, formerly Paddy Mackey's. It was frequented by Shane during the three ownerships.

The pub near Puckane if probably The Frolic's. Nearest to his homeplace. For some reason he never liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I was.

I haven't watched the whole thing yet. I don't know if Kennedy's is in it. The pub in Nenagh where he sang "Kitty" was the Kiwi bar, formerly Joe Corcoran's, formerly Paddy Mackey's. It was frequented by Shane during the three ownerships.

The pub near Puckane if probably The Frolic's. Nearest to his homeplace. For some reason he never liked it.

Ah yeah, the Frolics, thats the one. Didnt know shane didnt care for it. And the kiwi, though i think i frequented it once under an earlier name. Overall, i thought the doc was fine. Nothing that new, but was quite moved to hear him say late on how he still wanted to write more great songs. I found that bit a little poignant. Love for his sake to see that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I should have some listings this evening, they are half finished but St Patricks Day on a Wednesday got in the way!

Hello, hoped you enjoyed the St Patrick's Day and all that (Wednesday though, not the best day for it). No sign of a repeat for that new Shane MacGowan film yet, although he does pop up a few times over the weekend (Will Sligojoek or anyone else be spotted again ?!)

There's a lot of the Old Reliable Repeats of Irish shows this weekend and a few other bits and bobs ...

Thursday
    10pm Rob Brydon’s Now That’s What I Call Comic Relief (BBC2) New!
    Rob Brydon takes a look at some musical sketches and performances from the Comic Relief store cupboard

11.05pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Featuring Damian Dempsey, indie pop musician Ailbhe Reddy, traditional singer and musician Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh and guitarist Gerry O'Beirn, as well as music from singer-songwriter Conchúr White

Friday
    7pm Folk Hibernia At The BBC (BBC4) Not shown since 2011!
    A celebration of the finest in Irish folk music, featuring a compilation of performances from the BBC archives. Highlights include songs by the Clancy Brothers, the Chieftains, Christy Moore, the Pogues and Sharon Shannon

7pm The Eighties – Video Killed The Radio Star (Sky Arts)
    A look at how MTV marked the dawn of the music video's rise, with Michael Jackson taking the artform to a new level by creating groundbreaking short films

8pm Soundbreaking (Sky Arts)
    Ep 4 Four On The Floor - A look at the ever-evolving process of building an irresistible beat, charting its progression from Little Richard and James Brown to disco and EDM

8pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – October 18 (BBC4)
    Mark Goodier hosts the edition first aired on October 18, with performances by artists including A-ha, Aztec Camera and Mick Jones, Innocence, Whitney Houston, Happy Mondays, Rita MacNeil, Hi Tek 3 featuring Ya Kid K, Maria McKee and Belinda Carlisle

8.30pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – October 25 (BBC4)
    Jackie Brambles hosts the edition first aired on October 25, with performances by artists including Belinda Carlisle, Public Image Ltd, the Beautiful South, Berlin, Paul McCartney, the Righteous Brothers, the Soup Dragons, Paul Simon, Roxette and Jason Donovan

9pm & 2.15am St Patrick’s Day At The BBC (BBC4)
    A collection of classic pop performances from the BBC archives to celebrate St Patrick's Day. This selection reflects the huge impact that music from Ireland and Northern Ireland has made across the globe, with performances from U2, Sinead O'Connor, Van Morrison, the Pogues, the Corrs, the Cranberries, Boyzone and Westlife

9pm Classic Albums: Queen – A Night At The Opera (Sky Arts)

10pm Film Sing Street (RTE2)
    Conor, a quiet and sensitive teenager in 1980s Dublin suffers a troubled life, having to contend with money troubles, his parents' strained marriage, his drop-out older brother and to top it all off, he has to deal with the hostile environment at his tough new public school. He decides to form a band in the hopes of finding an escape route, and also winning the heart of Raphina, a mysterious, aspiring model he has taken a shine to at school. Coming-of-age comedy drama, starring Ferdia Walsh-Peelo, Lucy Boynton, Maria Doyle Kennedy, Aidan Gillen, Jack Reynor and Kelly Thornton

10pm Citizens Of Boomtown – The Story Of The Boomtown Rats (BBC4)
    Documentary telling the story of the Irish band led by Bob Geldof, who scored hits in the late 1970s and early 80s with the likes of Rat Trap and I Don't Like Mondays, before disbanding a year after Geldof's hugely successful Live Aid event in 1985. The group reformed in 2013 and released their seventh studio album in March 2020

10pm The Great Songwriters – Jimmy Webb (Sky Arts)

10pm Later … With Jools Holland (BBC2)
    Bit of a Comic Relief episode (that being on BBC1 tonight) Jools chats to actor, comedian and music lover Lenny Henry, who chooses and discusses his favourite performances from the Later archive. Plus, two artists make their debut on the show. First up is Enny, a rapper and singer from Thamesmead in south east London. And Leeds-London collective Nubiyan Twist give a unique performance of their latest single, If I Know

10.45pm Film Eight Days A Week: The Beatles – The Touring Years (Sky Documentaries)

10.45pm Sruth (TG4)
    Lauren O’Neill & Ali Levack

11pm Blitzed – The 80s Blitz Kids Story (Sky Arts)
    The one which was on last week

11.35pm A St Patrick’s Festival Celebration (RTE1)
    This was on on Wednesday, Hot House Flowers and Soule among other stuff

11.30pm The Irish Rock Story – A Tale Of Two Cities (BBC4)
    Documentary telling the story of how rock music evolved in Ireland over 40 years. The film demonstrates how the sounds that emerged were grounded in the musical traditions of the island's two main cities, from the pioneering touring showbands of the late 1950s through to the modern day. Richard Dormer narrates an examination of how the harder sounds of Belfast merged with the more folk-centric traditions of Dublin, celebrates some of the key musicians to have emerged from the Irish scene, and reveals how they were influenced by the political, social and cultural climate of their surroundings

Midnight Other Voices (RTE2)
    Damian Dempsey, Ailbhe Reddy. Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh and guitarist Gerry O'Beirn and singer-songwriter Conchúr White

12.30am Showbands – How Ireland Learnt To Party (BBC4)
    The showband was a uniquely Irish phenomenon. It was a movement that saw thousands of young people travel up and down the country in the late '50s, '60s and early '70s to the 'Dancehalls of Romance' to be entertained by the Royal Showband, the Miami Showband and Big Tom and the Mainliners, and individuals including Dickie Rock, Joe Dolan and Brendan Bowyer. Ardal O'Hanlon looks back at the phenomenon, examining what triggered the infamous era, the people involved, and its eventual end in the 1980s

1am David Bowie - Serious Moonlight (Sky Arts)
    Vancouver 1983

1am Country Music (RTE2)
    Ep 5

1.30am TOTP2 – St Patricks Day (BBC4)
    Steve Wright narrates a St Patrick's Day special, featuring archive performances by the Boomtown Rats, the Corrs, Enya, Shane MacGowan, Stiff Little Fingers, Thin Lizzy, Sinead O'Connor and U2

3am Discovering Music - David Bowie (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    4pm David Bowie -Serious Moonlight (Sky Arts)

6pm Queen: Hungarian Rhapsody – Live In Berlin (Sky Arts)

8pm The Great Songwriters – Jimmy Webb (Sky Arts)

8pm Top Of The Pops – The Story Of 1985 (BBC2)

9pm The Go-Gos (Sky Arts)
    A look at the history of the American new wave band, chronicling the rise of a band born of the Los Angeles punk scene that not only captured but created a zeitgeist. This gets shown on Sky Documentaries a lot

9.30pm McFly - All About Us (VM2)
    McFly reunite and talk about it

11pm The Pretenders – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

11.20pm Film Love And Mercy (RTE2)
    Biopic of the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson, following the singer-songwriter at two periods in his life. In the 1960s, he is at his creative peak, but haunted by inner demons that take their toll on his mental health. By the 1980s, he is a broken man dominated by a shady doctor, until a new relationship offers him a chance at recovery. Starring John Cusack, Paul Dano, Paul Giamatti and Elizabeth Banks

11pm-1am Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)

11.35pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – October 18 (BBC4)
    12.05am Top Of The Pops 1990 – October 25 (BBC4)

11pm Cobain – Montage Of Heck (Sky Documentaries)

11.55pm Newport Folk Festival 1963-1966 (TG4)
    A cinematic synthesis of four Newport Folk Festivals of the 1960s in which the art of folk music is pictured in transition during its most crucial years. Featuring performances from legendary artists including Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan. So good news if you were searching for some cinematic synthesis

12.15am Joan Jett – Bad Reputation (Sky Arts)
    Doc

2.15am-4am Blondie: Song By Song (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    8.30pm Comhluadar Cheoil (TG4)
    Daithi O’Se meets the Kilfenora Ceili Band

9pm The Sound Of Music Live (Sky Arts)

9.30pm Transatlantic Sessions – Rogha Agus Togha (TG4)
    Collaborations between American and Irish traditional musicians, including Emmylou Harris, Iris DeMent, Mary Black, Kate and Anna McGarrigle, and Rufus Wainwright

10.35pm Geantrai (TG4)
    From Ryan's Pub in Kilkenny, featuring Dave Sheridan, Ger Moloney, Timmy Murray, Brian Dule, Daragh Bracken and singer Iarla O Lionard

11.10pm Shane MacGowan Live At Montreux (TG4)
    Shane MacGowan and The Popes in a show combining tracks from the Snake album including Nancy Whiskey, Donegal Express and Bring Down, live at Montreux in 1995

11.20pm The Eagles Live From The LA Forum (Sky Arts)

Murray Walker sadly passed away this week, here is that time they sent him to Wembley to meet Fleetwood Mac for a live version of The Chain as the Intro to BBC1's Grand Prix coverage. Murray also picked it as one of his Desert Island Disc's ...

Slightly late to the party, but if you haven't heard this lad's imagining of Eamon Dunphy’s rant about Roy Keane and Rod Liddle but it’s performed by an Indie Band you should give this a listen

https://twitter.com/BigDirtyFry/status/1364709736466243598

He does lots of them but that one is liquid

Finally, the Best performance of a Phil Collins Song about losing control of your faculties while going on holiday in Mexico as featured in a Phil Collins film might be this one from the Four Tops as featured in Buster (Sony Movie Channel, Friday 11.25pm)

Bonus fact: The Four Tops apparently were booked onto the Pan Am flight which crashed in Lockerbie but stayed behind in London to film this TOTP appearance.

Also apparently booked on the flight but not actually on board were Johnny Rotten, Tennis player Mats Wilander and Sex and The City actress Kim Catrall

http://thisdaythen.blogspot.com/2011/12/21st-december-1988-pan-am-103-explodes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Eamonn you're out of order
    Out of order.

That's probably song of the year, for me.

Anyway, that Newport yokey on TG4 om Sat looks good. Think I'll give that a go.

Nice one again, Skid!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I watched the Robert Plant programme on BBC4 last Friday.

There was significant time devoted to his 80s change in direction, with lots of footage of his 80s hair.

I was so shaken by what I saw I went straight to Power City on Sat and bought a head shaver (hair clippers I believe it's called).

I didn't have his hair, but I did have lockdown hair, and you can't be to careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Getting stuck in to watching Another Round With Shane MacGowan on BBC iPlayer. Met him a few times down the years from working in bars and nightclubs, lovely bloke. All sorts of emotions. The Pogues at their height is spine tingling. Memories of my own grandmother feeding me drink when I was a child 🀣
    Some of it is conflicting for me,so far, but let it roll on.
    Right down to old IRA safehouses being in the family :D
    Great doc. The Pogues were majestic. A Pair Of Brown Eyes is up there in the pantheon of the greatest songs ever written.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Creation stories the irvine welsh written film about creation records and Alan McGee is on sky cinema from tomorrow

Christy Moore on BBC Four :)

TUPPITYPUPPEDY!

giphy.gif

WearyRespectfulFoal-size_restricted.gif

Do the one about it being sunny on TV!

Piers Morgan’s favourite song :pac:

Ah, play the rest of Good Morning Britain ye feckers.

PLAY PiL!!

Innocence.

Prefer their smoothies, to be honest. :cool:

• Advertisement

Mark Goodier dressed like an extra from Star Trek :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I only went with yer mother cos shes dirty.

Lock up your valuables, the Mondays are here :D

I only went with yer mother cos shes dirty.

One of the best opening couplets ever :)

Bez must have been knackered by the end of the live shows

“She’s literally a big star.”

:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Shaun probably sold said jacket at some point for a speedball

I remember one of the local radio stations (East Coast Radio, maybe?) breaking a World Record by playing this Reba McIntyre dirge non stop for 48 hours back in the day

Like, of all the songs in the world

Teenage Kicks, there's a song you can play on repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Wondering why Take My Breath Away was a re-release in 1990. Apparently, it was to coincide with ITV's first UK TV showing of Top Gun, and Peugoet used it as part of their new 405 advertising campaign. I remember that ad on TV as a child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Back to Rovers v Pat's until this one is over...

Advertisement