Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Must say I enjoyed the Durand Durand programmes though drew the line at watching the concert from a few years back.

re XTC - they should have been so much bigger than they were. I was into them from the off so good is my taste :)

XTC were a great band but then the post punk years up to around 80-81 were so good for music that you had to keep a high standard to make it big i reckon. Think Andy Partridge has to take a fair bit of the blame for them not making it huge, interesting guy but a bit of a control freak by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Merry Christmas, Boardsies! :D

K I N G!

King looking forward to a successful 1986.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

By all acounts Paul Kings favourite crisps are King Crisps.

<----Exits Stage Left.

My god, Gary Davies.

giphy.gif

Not gay.

• Advertisement

Tarzan-based artists are on their way out, Mr. Epstein.

S I G U E

S I G U E

S P U T N I K

Shoot it up! :D

C H R I S

D E

B U R G H

Shoot him! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

S I G U E

S I G U E

S P U T N I K

Shoot it up! :D

:pac:

I remember my Dad saying "is this meant to be music? - who are these called?" when I was watching TOTP back in the day. When I replied "Sigue Sigue Sputnik", he found their name very amusing.

Literally to this day if I am watching any modern** music when he is around he will ask me "Are Sigue Sigue Sputnik still going?"

** later than Rhinestone Cowboy

Love the first two Human League albums.

A dream ticket would be Human League performing ‘Reproduction’ and ‘Travelogue’, followed by a set by Heaven 17, then bring out Jo and Sue for latter-era Human League :)

Do Phil Oakey and Martyn Ware keep in touch? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Love the first two Human League albums.

A dream ticket would be Human League performing ‘Reproduction’ and ‘Travelogue’, followed by a set by Heaven 17, then bring out Jo and Sue for latter-era Human League :)

Do Phil Oakey and Martyn Ware keep in touch? :D

Oh yes the original line up they all still talk I would want Phillip Adrian Wright back with his slide show as well. First two albums are fantastic. It will never happen as the two wagons from League won't let Phil do it.
    Worth going to Heaven 17 gigs as they always play a couple of tracks from Human League Mark 1. Glenn does a decent job as well.
    I saw Phil and Martin together in a documentary discussing League MK1 I think it was "Made In Sheffield"

Oh yes the original line up they all still talk I would want Phillip Adrian Wright back with his slide show as well. First two albums are fantastic. It will never happen as the two wagons from League won't let Phil do it.
    Worth going to Heaven 17 gigs as they always play a couple of tracks from Human League Mark 1. Glenn does a decent job as well.
    I saw Phil and Martin together in a documentary discussing League MK1 I think it was "Made In Sheffield"

Just seen both Heaven 17 and Human League are touring the UK in November :)

But not together :(:D

Heaven 17 are being supported by Propaganda - get me in!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just seen both Heaven 17 and Human League are touring the UK in November :)

But not together :(:D

Heaven 17 are being supported by Propaganda - get me in!

I'd choose Heaven 17 over Phil and the girls. Unfortunately I don't think there are any Dublin dates on Heaven 17's tour.

Hi, just catching up on the TOTP86 Doc from last week - there was a part where they interviewed one of Robert Palmer's dancers from the Addicted To Love video. Bizarrely due to Musicians Union rules they had to hire real musicians to play behind the curtain while the models mimed to the original song. I was in my local Tesco a while back and I noticed the Managers photo on the wall, he's called Robert Palmer too. Not Rob or Robbie - he's Robert Palmer, Tesco manager.

Anyway, along with Queen and Bowie Pink Floyd are one the acts with the most docs and concerts on rotation on BBC4 and Sky Arts. Sky goes again with a weekend of Floyd repeats along with a new doc about one of their frequent collaborators. It's the usual mixed bag elsewhere with the combined might of Wimbledon, The World Cup and The Proms carving up the BBC airtime. Here are the details beginning with the Pink Floyd shows ...

Pink Floyd Weekend on Sky Arts - Saturday
    7pm Pink Floyd - A Delicate Sound of Thunder
    An extravagant concert film from the musicians' A Momentary Lapse of Reason tour, recorded at New York's Nassau Coliseum in August 1988 using 27 cameras. The performance sees David Gilmour, Rick Wright and Nick Mason deliver seminal tracks including Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Time, Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here

9pm & 1.30am Ron Geeshin - An Improvised Life New!
    A look at the life of musician Ron Geesin, best known for his collaborations with Pink Floyd. Featuring performances and interviews with Nick Mason and Geesin himself

10.15pm Pink Floyd Live in Pompeii
    A 1972 concert in which David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Roger Waters and Richard Wright perform hits including Echoes and A Saucerful of Secrets amid the empty ruins of Pompeii's Ancient Roman amphitheatre

11.30pm David Gilmour - Live in Gdansk
    A 2006 concert by the former Pink Floyd guitarist and singer in front of 50,000 fans at the shipyard in Gdansk, Poland. Gilmour and his six-piece band are accompanied by the 40-strong string section of the Polish Baltic Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Zbigniew Preisner, as they perform songs including Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Fat Old Sun and Wish You Were Here

Pink Floyd Weekend on Sky Arts - Sunday
    8pm Classic Albums - Dark Side Of The Moon

9pm Pink Floyd PULSE - The Dark Side Of The Moon Live
    A 1994 concert by the band in which they performed their classic 1973 album The Dark Side of the Moon at Earl's Court during their Division Bell tour

10pm Pink Floyd - The Story of Wish You Were Here
    Documentary telling the story behind the making of Pink Floyd's landmark 1975 album Wish You Were Here, featuring interviews with Roger Waters, David Gilmour and Nick Mason

And here's the rest ...

Thursday
    7.15am A John Williams Celebration: LA Opening Gala 2014 (Sky Arts)
    Gustavo Dudamel leads the Los Angeles Philharmonic in a tribute to composer John Williams, the man behind the scores to Star Wars, Jaws and Schindler's List among others

12pm Trailblazers - Two Tone (Sky Arts)

5pm & 3am Trailblazers - Funk (Sky Arts)

Friday
    12pm Trailblazers - Funk (Sky Arts)

5pm & 3.05am Trailblazers - Punk (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & 11pm Top Of The Pops 1986 - January 2nd (BBC4)
    John Peel and Janice Long present the programme, featuring A-ha, Paul McCartney, Level 42, Bronski Beat, Shakin' Stevens, Elton John, Jennifer Rush and Sting. First shown January 2, 1986

8pm & 2.35am Top Of The Pops 1984 - Big Hits (BBC4)
    featuring the Smiths, Duran Duran, Sade, the Weather Girls, Wham!, Bronski Beat, Madonna, Miami Sound Machine, Cyndi Lauper, Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Black Lace

8pm Discovering Music - Elvis Costello (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Elvis Costello (Sky Arts)

8.30pm BBC Proms 2018 - First Night of The Proms (BBC2)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/proms

8.30pm Fleadh Cheoil (RTE1)
    Traditional music performances, featuring the group Fisher Street and the well-known Donegal family Na Mooneys. Presented by John Creedon and Aoibhinn Ni Shuilleabhain

9pm & 1.30am Meat Loaf: In and Out of Hell (BBC4)
    A profile of the rock star's life and career, reflecting on the music that propelled him to fame and charting his journey from an overweight, bullied child to his larger-than-life persona and icon status. Featuring an interview and performance by the singer, as well as backstage footage from a Las Vegas concert. The film also revisits the Dallas of Meat Loaf's early years and includes insights from high school friends who reveal where the unusual moniker really came from

9pm Bob Marley - The Making Of A Legend (Sky Arts)
    Esther Anderson's documentary based on film shot in the early 1970s in Jamaica, charting the reggae musician's career before he shot to worldwide fame

10pm Smashing Hits! The 80's Pop Map of Britain and Ireland (BBC4)
    Ep 2/3 Midge Ure and Kim Appleby explore the sounds that came from Scotland, Ireland and Wales. They start in Glasgow with the American influences that shaped a substantial part of Scottish music, look at the punk and folk backdrop to Irish music and, finally, delve into the Welsh merger of folk and punk. The programme features evocative archive, music and interviews with significant figures of the era including Bob Geldof, Clare Grogan from Altered Images, Pat Kane from Hue and Cry, Moya Brennan of Clannad and Mike Peters from legendary Welsh band the Alarm [Best of luck to them trying to distill Irish, Scottish and Welsh music into less than an hour]

10.50pm Toots and The Maytals: From The Roots (Sky Arts)
    The story of Jamaican musician Frederick `Toots' Hibbert, who helped define reggae and ska with his band the Maytals. Featuring performance and backstage footage of the group

11.05pm Gary Barlow Live at Eden (BBC1)
    A performance by the Take That musician and his 10-piece band in front of a 6,500-strong crowd at the Eden Project in Cornwall.

11.30pm The Story of Funk - One Nation under a Groove (BBC4)
    Documentary examining the history of funk, starting from its birth in the black community at a time of self-discovery, struggle and social change. The fun style of the music changed the streets of the US in the seventies with new trends in fashion and slang emerging, and its celebration of African-American culture. The genre produced some of the most famous acts in the world, such as James Brown, Sly & the Family Stone, Earth, Wind & Fire, and Kool & the Gang. Including interviews with George Clinton, Ray Parker Jr and trombonist Fred Wesley

Midnight Top Of The Pops 1986 - January 2nd (BBC4)
    As Friday

12.20am Eric Clapton: Planes, Trains and Eric (Sky Arts)
    Documentary film following the guitarist on the Far and Middle Eastern legs of his 2014 world tour, featuring interviews, backstage footage and concert performances

12.25am Peter Allen - Not The Boy Next Door (RTE2)
    Part one of two. The story of the music legend's rise from country New South Wales to the Hollywood Hills, becoming part of American royalty along the way. Joel Jackson stars [He was an Australian Song and Dance Man, apparently]

12.30am London Songs at the BBC (BBC4)
    A collection of performances from the BBC archives celebrating the sights and sounds of London. The programme includes Petula Clark singing A Foggy Day in London Town in 1965, and Adele performing her love letter to the city, Hometown Glory, in October 2007. Also featuring the Jam, Eddy Grant, Tom Paxton and Lily Allen

2.05am Classic Albums: Phil Collins - Face Value (Sky Arts)

2.45am Beat Beat Beat - The Kinks (Sky Arts)
    See Below

Saturday
    10am Trailblazers - Disco (Sky Arts)

11am Trailblazers - Glam Rock (Sky Arts)

5.45pm The Rolling Stones Return to Hyde Park - Sweet Summer Sun (Sky Arts)
    2013 Concert

7pm .. Sings Elvis (Yesterday)
    Covers of Elvis Presley songs from the BBC archives

8pm Tom Jones at the BBC (Yesterday)
    Classic Tom Jones performances from BBC shows of the last 50 years

9pm The Rolling Stones at the BBC (Yesterday)
    That would be a collection of Rolling Stones songs. At the BBC.

9pm Reginald D Hunter's Songs Of The Border (BBC2) New!
    Against the backdrop of President Trump's planned construction of a wall between the two countries, the comedian takes a 2,000-mile musical road trip along the US-Mexico border. He explores how romance and reality play out musically, where third-world Mexico meets first-world USA on `the broken road to the American Dream'

10pm TOTP2 - Schools Out (Yesterday)
    Vaguely school related videos

11pm Roy Orbison: Love Hurts (BBC4)
    The performer's legacy as a beloved rock legend and a devoted father is revealed through intimate interviews with Roy's three sons, featuring previously unseen home videos. Alex, Roy Jr and Wesley Orbison discuss the immense talent and fierce determination that provided the driving force behind their father's success and how his family life offered a strong spiritual base to escape the pressures of the rock n roll lifestyle

11.55pm Film: Begin Again (2013) (RTE2)
    A singer-songwriter is left cast adrift when her boyfriend leaves her after becoming a star. While performing in New York's East Village, she meets a record company executive whose career is in tatters, beginning a collaboration that turns both their lives around. Musical Comedy drama, starring Keira Knightley and Mark Ruffalo. Directed by your man who did Once and Sing Street

12.30am Smashing Hits! The 80's Pop Map of Britain and Ireland (BBC4)
    As Friday

1.30am The Girl from Ipanaema - Brazil, Bossa Nova and The Beach (BBC4)
    Katie Derham examines the story behind Antonio Carlos Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes's song The Girl from Ipanema, which was written in 1962 and was later translated into English by American lyricist Norman Gimbel. Katie meets some of the key figures in Brazil's bossa nova scene and traces the roots of the genre to bohemian Rio de Janeiro in the 1950s, and examines its influence on modern jazz

Sunday
    7.30pm The Proms (BBC4)
    Featuring former Young Musician of The Year Winners

8pm Fleadh TV (TG4)
    https://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/fleadhtv/

9pm Elton John - The Nation's Favourite Song (ITV3)
    With contributions from Ed Sheeran, Annie Lennox, Stephen Fry and Elton's longtime songwriting partner Bernie Taupin.

... if England get into the World Cup Final, I suspect the schedules might be torn up. But that's more or less that.

One curious little show which Sky Arts often uses as a filler in the middle of the night is The Kink's 15 minute performance on West German Pop show Beat Beat Beat in 1965

It looks like the whole thing in on Youtube, so in case you never got around to watching it, here you go!

Looking forward to all things Floydian :)

Saw Roger Waters live last week in Manchester - absolutely incredible!

Most of the audience had their eyes on the England/Colombia penalty shoot-out which was taking place at the exact same time - a shame...Roger had put so much TIME and MONEY into the show, I’m surprised he didn’t RUN LIKE HELL for the exit. Still, it’s not often you see him perform IN THE FLESH.

I’ll see myself out.

Skid X wrote: »
    Hi, just catching up on the TOTP86 Doc from last week - there was a part where they interviewed one of Robert Palmer's dancers from the Addicted To Love video. Bizarrely due to Musicians Union rules they had to hire real musicians to play behind the curtain while the models mimed to the original song. I was in my local Tesco a while back and I noticed the Managers photo on the wall, he's called Robert Palmer too. Not Rob or Robbie - he's Robert Palmer, Tesco manager.

Some mental stuff went on with that Musicians Union. They also mentioned the story of the BBC refusing to air the video of "The Going Gets Tough" with Danny De Vito miming a saxophone solo because he wasnt a member of the Union. They did a good doc on it a couple of years back if i remember rightly. The Musicians Union rep at the Beeb was a shadowy figure known as "Dr Death". A lot of the bands were supposedly terrified of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Well, England *will* play one more match at the World Cup... but it'll be the third-place match.

As someone who was born in London, lived there until the age of 13 and returned there fairly frequently until four years ago, I'm gutted for them. :(:( This was such a wonderful opportunity... instead it's another two years of hurt.

A good excuse to play Elgar, I guess. (If they had won, that would have been a good excuse to play Holst.)

Fair play to Croatia though. Players like Modric, Rakitic, Perisic and Mandzukic deserve at least a shot at the Cup, if indeed not the Cup itself. France will be heavy favourites on Sunday, however.

Anyway, I guess it's time to point out the Smithed episodes of TOTP '86. This year, the other presenters *weren't* as unfortunate as they were in previous years in terms of hosting episodes that would end up being banned in the future - following the introduction of "The Wizard" in April, the show started to flit between having one presenter and two, with the result that Smith hosted a fair few episodes on his own... ;)

9 January '86 (alongside Steve Wright)
    23 January '86 (alongside Paul Jordan)
    13 March '86 (alongside Steve Wright)
    27 March '86 (alongside Bruno Brookes; final outing for "Yellow Pearl")
    10 April '86 (alongside Steve Wright)
    1 May '86 (on his own)
    15 May '86 (alongside Simon Bates)
    11 June '86 (on his own; this episode was on a Wednesday due to Northern Ireland v Brazil in Guadalajara the following day :D)
    26 June '86 (alongside Steve Wright)
    17 July '86 (on his own)
    7 August '86 (on his own)
    11 September '86 (on his own)
    2 October '86 (on his own)
    13 November '86 (on his own)
    4 December '86 (on his own)
    18 December '86 (on his own)

I don't think many people will complain at four of Steve Wright's ten episodes this year being forbidden, somehow. :D;)

While we won't get the last episode with Phil and Midge's musical masterpiece, we certainly will get the first episode with Paul Hardcastle's tune (hosted by Peely and Janice, and featuring an interview with Paul himself). :D We'll also get Simon Mayo's first episode (9 October, alongside Gary Davies).

And if for whatever reason we don't get the 29 May episode, I'm going to go to New Broadcasting House and break wind in the kitchen... :o:o:D:D;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

"9pm Reginald D Hunter's Songs Of The Border (BBC2) New!
    Against the backdrop of President Trump's planned construction of a wall between the two countries, the comedian takes a 2,000-mile musical road trip along the US-Mexico border. He explores how romance and reality play out musically, where third-world Mexico meets first-world USA on `the broken road to the American Dream"

Oh yes! My man Reg D doing more of this sort of thing?

Fantastico!

I’m curious as to what Paul Heaton said about Margaret and Denis Thatcher, supposedly denying The Housemartins the Xmas number one spot. The band were always staunch opponents of Maggie. Check out the last verse...

Feigning concern, a conservative pastime
    Makes you feel doubtful right from the start
    The expression she pulls is exactly like last time
    You've got to conclude she just hasn't a heart

I’m curious as to what Paul Heaton said about Margaret and Denis Thatcher, supposedly denying The Housemartins the Xmas number one spot. The band were always staunch opponents of Maggie. Check out the last verse...

Feigning concern, a conservative pastime
    Makes you feel doubtful right from the start
    The expression she pulls is exactly like last time
    You've got to conclude she just hasn't a heart

Don’t know what evidence he has for that claim, if any, but no problem believing it. It’s well known the charts were rigged half the time anyway, most famously to keep the Pistols off the top for the golden jubilee. Has the ring of truth about it and Heaton is as straight up a guy as you’ll find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The Pogues and the Pet Shop Boys xmas 87 springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It’s well known the charts were rigged half the time anyway, most famously to keep the Pistols off the top for the golden jubilee.

It was pretty obvious that time though, because there was no No.1 that week!

I've got a mental picture now of Denis Thatcher being sent out to buy thousands of copies of whatever the hell it was that kept the Housemartins off No.1 :p given what he was married to he'd almost make you feel sorry for a Tory millionaire.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

I've got a mental picture now of Denis Thatcher being sent out to buy thousands of copies of whatever the hell it was that kept the Housemartins off No.1 :p given what he was married to he'd almost make you feel sorry for a Tory millionaire.

It was ’77 I was referring to so it was some horrendous Rod Stewart dirge I think that thieved the top spot. Need to brush up on my diamonds and goldens and silvers!

I've got a mental picture now of Denis Thatcher being sent out to buy thousands of copies of whatever the hell it was that kept the Housemartins off No.1 :p

‘Reet Petite’ by Jackie Wilson.

Plasticine videos seemed to be all the rage in ‘86!

What happened there? Did they just announce the number two and hope nobody would notice the hole in the charts?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

IIRC from a documentary a few years back, that's exactly what at least one radio chart rundown did (might even have been Radio 1.)

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

What happened there? Did they just announce the number two and hope nobody would notice the hole in the charts?
    IIRC from a documentary a few years back, that's exactly what at least one radio chart rundown did (might even have been Radio 1.)

Hotblack is correct - that's exactly what they did! I saw the same documentary... ;) It's only when you see/hear things like that, that you realise how much times have changed and how f**ked up things were back then (talk about conservative!!).....this would only be a small thing in the greater scheme of things....but you get my drift....

Morten Harket.

giphy.gif

PS. Still not gay.

Dan Aykroyd doing an indefinitely better production job behind the mixing desk than Phil Spector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Dan Aykroyd doing an indefinitely better production job behind the mixing desk than Phil Spector.

With the Studer tape machines in the background. I love those tape machines.

Advertisement