Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,884 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Solemn music is playing on Radio Moscow... :rolleyes:

Imagine when Lizzie carks it!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Friday
    7pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – November 29 (BBC4)
    Nicky Campbell hosts the edition first aired on November 29, with performances by artists including Dream Warriors, Dimples D, Chris Isaak, Pet Shop Boys, Soul II Soul featuring Kym Mazelle, Megabass, Patrick Macnee and Honor Blackman, Bombalurina featuring Timmy Mallet, Vanilla Ice and Deee-Lite. This is on early as they are showing Womens Football later

7.30pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – December 6 (BBC4)
    Mark Goodier hosts the show's 1,400th edition, first aired on December 6 1990. With performances by Twenty 4 Seven featuring Captain Hollywood, the Farm, Cliff Richard, Madonna, MC Hammer, Snap, New Kids on the Block, Vanilla Ice and Betty Boo

Currently the repeats of those 2 episodes is still scheduled for 1am Sat night

After the fiasco with the football tonight I could well believe they will show them at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what football?

fryup wrote: »
    what football?

Before I explain just a word to say those "repeats" have now being pulled .

The reason ToTP was scheduled from 7pm yesterday was that there was a Women's International Friendly , France v England due to start at 8pm

It was pushed onto the red button to kept BBC4 off air but come 8pm the single framel notice changed on BBC4 from programmes suspensed go watch BBC1 to an animated notice about go to watch the football online which stayed there to 1015pm the scheduled end time of the football

People thought they did that to save bandwidth since BBC 1,2 and News were the same and if too many channels show the same content at the same time it can cause trouble in digital tv systems .

However other people pointed out the red button and BBC4 are on the same DTT and satellite muxes so what they did made no sense bandwidth wise

TLDR The BBC are obviously scared about claims of disrespect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Surely the programme for Friday night should just move to next Friday night. Not 1am Saturday or any other night. There's a decent audience following TOTP in order and BBC 4 needs all the help/support it can get at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

I've been going on a bit about this band in the BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else thread but this is exactly it - the Magic of Meghan.

Fat White Family are making a film.

Anyone else remember this? Jesus Christ. But I suppose RTE Records is a similar "mark of quality" as BBC Records was - it's crap, nobody else will release it but you have a few mates on the inside so here we go.

irishrock.org describes it as "atrocious" which on that taster is probably accurate...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone else remember this? Jesus Christ. But I suppose RTE Records is a similar "mark of quality" as BBC Records was - it's crap, nobody else will release it but you have a few mates on the inside so here we go.

irishrock.org describes it as "atrocious" which on that taster is probably accurate...
    IIRC Once you go over a very low threshold of airtime you get an equal share in the IMRO unclaimed royalties. Used to be handy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i love Devlin's use of the McCartney style head-shake

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Jaysus, a Concept Album with one song for each Star Sign backed up by a TV special with interpretative dance

Maybe it's for the best that was buried long ago

Speaking of which, I'm going to hold off on the listings until the English channels rejig their schedules for the weekend.

They haven't been updated yet - I suspect there might be a lot of changes when they get around to changing them. Hopefully there'll be news tomorrow.

• Advertisement

White smoke from Buckingham Palace kinda thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Duran Duran night had better be going ahead tomorrow night on BBC Four.

It’s taken me hours to apply my make-up and add ruffles to my pirate outfit :cool:

White smoke from Buckingham Palace kinda thing?

Perfidious Albion TV Schedulers leaving it until the last minute to change everything or put up a blank screen again

Duran Duran night had better be going ahead tomorrow night on BBC Four.

It’s taken me hours to apply my make-up and add ruffles to my pirate outfit :cool:

Well, at this particular moment in time you might be in luck unless of the Corgis is off her food or something

A few new bits across the schedule this weekend including tribute concerts for the late John Lennon and the very much alive President Michael D Higgins. There are also many many repeats from the old days, it's what Philip would have wanted ...

Thursday
    11pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Featuring experimental five-piece Sun Collective, alt-country musician CMAT, Limerick-based band Fox Jaw, and sean-nós performers Séamus and Caoimhe Uí Fhlatharta

Friday
    7pm & 12.30am Exotic Pop At The BBC (BBC4)
    including Greek crooner Demis Roussos, French star Vanessa Paradis, Swedish singer Sylvia and Romanian pan-pipe player Gheorghe Zamfir

7.30pm Ceol On Chlann (TG4)
    The Mac Ruairí family, raised on the Gaelic songs and stories of Rann na Feirste, passed on from their parents, grandparents and generations before them

8pm Sounds Of The Seventies (BBC4)
    including Elvis Costello, the Police, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Squeeze, Blondie, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, the Cars, Patti Smith and Iggy Pop

8pm Classic Albums: U2 – The Joshua Tree (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – November 29 (BBC4)
    Nicky Campbell hosts the edition first aired on November 29, with performances by artists including Dream Warriors, Dimples D, Chris Isaak, Pet Shop Boys, Soul II Soul featuring Kym Mazelle, Megabass, Patrick Macnee and Honor Blackman, Bombalurina featuring Timmy Mallet, Vanilla Ice and Deee-Lite.

9pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – December 6 (BBC4)
    Mark Goodier hosts the show's 1,400th edition, first aired on December 6 1990. With performances by Twenty 4 Seven featuring Captain Hollywood, the Farm, Cliff Richard, Madonna, MC Hammer, Snap, New Kids on the Block, Vanilla Ice and Betty Boo

9pm Classic Albums: Cream – Disraeli Gears (Sky Arts)

9.30pm & 1.30am Duran Duran – There’s Something You Should Know (BBC4)
    Simon Le Bon, John Taylor, Nick Rhodes and Roger Taylor open up about the highs and lows of the band's career - with archive footage of former guitarist Andy Taylor helping round out the story. Nile Rodgers is present and correct. Followed by …

10.30pm & 2.30am Duran Duran - A Night In (BBC4)
    Simon Le Bon, Nick Rhodes, John Taylor and Roger Taylor sit back to watch and talk through personally-selected clips of archive television, music shows, movies, performances, adverts and children's shows that have inspired them across their career. The band discuss their influences from the worlds of film and art, referencing Blade Runner, Andy Warhol and Tomorrow's World, and ranging from Barbarella to Virginia Plain and Midnight Express

10pm The Great Songwriters – Paul Anka (Sky Arts)

10pm Britain’s Favourite 80s Songs – 1987 (Channel 5)

11pm Dean Martin - A Legend In Training (Sky Arts)

11.20pm Celtic Connections 2016 (TG4)
    Including performances by Lúnasa, Roddy Hart, Maggie MacInnes and Kris Kristofferson, filmed in the atmospheric Hillhead Bookclub. Followed by another episode, with further performances from Hillhead Bookclub, featuring Eoghan Ó Ceannabháin, Daorí Farrell, Kathleen MacInnes, Dermot Byrne, Mike Vass and Brian Finnegan, and Blue Rose Code

11.30pm Smashing Hits: The 80s Pop Map Of Britain and Ireland (BBC4)
    Literally the worst name for a show ever. Midge Ure and Kim Appleby explore the sounds that came from Scotland, Ireland and Wales. With Bob Geldof, Clare Grogan from Altered Images, Pat Kane from Hue and Cry, Moya Brennan of Clannad and Mike Peters from the Alarm. For some reason this survives from last week while the Old Grey Whistle Test Repeats are dropped

11.35pm The Story Of The Songs – Whitney Houston (Channel 5)

Midnight Eric Clapton Live In California 2001 (Sky Arts)

12.25am Other Voices (RTE2)
    As yesterday

1.15am Eric Clapton – Planes, Trains And Eric (Sky Arts)
    Documentary film following the guitarist on the Far and Middle Eastern legs of his 2014 world tour, featuring interviews, backstage footage and concert performances

1.25am Country Music (RTE2)
    Ep 9 of 9

1.40am Film Sing Street (Channel 4)
    Conor, a quiet and sensitive teenager in 1980s Dublin suffers a troubled life, having to contend with money troubles, his parents' strained marriage, his drop-out older brother and to top it all off, he has to deal with the hostile environment at his tough new public school. He decides to form a band … ah sure, you’ve probably seen it

3am Classic Albums: Elvis Presley – Elvis Presley (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    4pm The Making Of Marc Bolan (Sky Arts)
    Or maybe the departure of Prince Philip, who knows?

5pm Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert (Sky Arts)
    RTE2 has not one but two Nazi Docs todau

7pm Guy Garvey – From The Vaults (Sky Arts)
    Ep 3 1977, featuring Marc Bolan and Blondie

8pm The Great Songwriters – Paul Anka (Sky Arts)
    The Snooker is on BBC4 now

8.10pm Top Of The Pops - The Story of 1977 (BBC2)
    Featuring Nile Rodgers. And some other people.
    Dropped for Funeral Highlights

9pm Mavericks – The Legendary Promoters Of Rock (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary about the people who developed the rock concert touring business, with contributions by Carlos Santana, Jon Bon Jovi, Dave Matthews and Bob Geldof
    https://www.white-light.tv/news/sky-arts-acquires-mavericks-the-legendary-promoters-of-rock-feature-from-white-light

9pm Hitsville – The Making Of Motown (Sky Documentaries)

10.50pm The RTE Concert Orchestra Performs: John Lennon (RTE1) New!
    Gavin Murphy conducts a celebration of the musician's output, with guests Liam O'Maonlai, Jerry Fish, Andrea Corr, James Vincent McMorrow and Faye O'Rourke

11pm Pulse: Pink Floyd – The Dark Side Of The Moon Live (Sky Arts)
    1994 Earls Court Gig

11pm Sings The Beatles (Yesterday)

11.05pm The Go-Gos (Sky Documentaries)

11.40pm Top Of The Pops 1990 – November 29 (BBC4)
    12.10am Top Of The Pops 1990 – December 6 (BBC4)

Midnight Fleetwood Mac – Don’t Stop (Yesterday)
    Doc

12.20am Roger Waters – Us And Them (Sky Arts)
    2017 from Amsterdam

12.40am Sinatra – All Or Nothing At All (BBC4)
    Ep 1 of this often repeated Doc

Sunday
    3pm Rolling Stones Live In Hyde Park 2013 (Sky Arts)

4.15pm David Bowie Reality Tour (Sky Arts)
    From Dublin’s Point Theatre 2003

5.30pm George Ezra Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

7pm Bob Dylan 30th Anniverary Concert (Sky Arts)
    A performance from 1992 celebrating the singer's career, featuring the likes of Stevie Wonder, Lou Reed, Johnny Cash and Eric Clapton performing classic Dylan numbers

8.30pm Comhluadar Cheoil (TG4)
    Dáithí Ó Sé meets Danú. Music series in which Dáithí meets with some of Ireland's musical bands and families

9.30pm Omos – Micheal D At 80 (TG4) New!
    A special hour of music, song, dance and poems on the occasion of President Michael D Higgins' 80th birthday. With Van Morrisson, Iarla Ó Lionáird, Tolü Makay, Laoise Kelly, Rita Ann Higgins, Steve Cooney, Mary Robinson, Máirtín O'Connor, Ivana Bacik Paddy Keenan, Thomas McCarthy, Doireann Ní Ghríofa, Gary Hynes and Gearóid Ó Tuathaigh

10.30pm Geantrai (TG4)
    Fiddle players Dana Lyn and Patrick Ourceau perform from Tír na nÓg in New York

10.35pm Ed Sheeran – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

11.50pm Mumford And Sons Live From South Africa (Sky Arts)

1.50am Mavericks – The Legendary Promoters Of Rock (Sky Arts)

So there it is - all programmes subject to change and all that. Recently uploaded to Youtube is this No Disco Tribute compilation of interviews by the late, great Uaneen Fitzsimons. Great memories in this

I was very bored so I did a Google search to see if Prince Philip had ever appeared on Top Of The Pops ... well, the answer is probably no but it did uncover this rather odd BBC TOTP2 article which lists the Top 5 **** songs of all time

http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/features/top5/teenage_kicks.shtml
    2 TURNING JAPANESE - THE VAPORS
    Not, as you might assume, a song devoted to becoming more like our distant cousins in the far east. This incredibly non-PC dirty ditty describes the kind of ecstatic facial gymnastics displayed by gentlemen deep in the throes of orgasm, and compares these gurnings to the faces of Japanese people. Could have been written by Prince Philip, couldn't it?

:pac::eek: The Daily Mail might want to cancel TOTP and all its incarnations after that.

And finally, BBC4 might have given up the ghost but maybe the future of BBC Music Docs lies elsewhere - here's a very enjoyable little 5 minute piece on Guitarist Doug Wood from the Snooker a few years ago

Doug Wood - he's the man who wrote this (which is on the Snooker, everyday for the next two and a bit weeks)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Skid X wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed The Story of Bohemian Rhapsody last night on BBC2,

they described The Darkness as 'the band of the moment' which aged it nicely.

The revisiting of the studio in Wales was fascinating.

8.10pm Top Of The Pops - The Story of 1977 (BBC2)
    Featuring Nile Rodgers. And some other people.

I'd only tune in at this time now if you want to see highlights of the funeral on Saturday

SPDUB wrote: »
    I'd only tune in at this time now if you want to see highlights of the funeral on Saturday

Ah balls, I knew they would mess it up

No TOTP on BBC2 on Saturday

Thanks for the update

Doug Wood did the theme they used to use for the darts on BBC as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Nice one Skid!

I have to be honest, this:

"10.50pm The RTE Concert Orchestra Performs: John Lennon (RTE1) New!
    Gavin Murphy conducts a celebration of the musician's output, with guests Liam O'Maonlai, Jerry Fish, Andrea Corr, James Vincent McMorrow and Faye O'Rourke"

sits very uneasily with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Nice one Skid!

I have to be honest, this:

"10.50pm The RTE Concert Orchestra Performs: John Lennon (RTE1) New!
    Gavin Murphy conducts a celebration of the musician's output, with guests Liam O'Maonlai, Jerry Fish, Andrea Corr, James Vincent McMorrow and Faye O'Rourke"

sits very uneasily with me.

Sounds horrific. I can only imagine;). the murder that will be committed on perfectly good songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

"Exotic Pop" at the BBC on now. Intriguiging story behind Nina & Frederick, semi forgotten husband and wife duo who were big in the late 50s/early 60s. He ended up getting involved with drug running in the Phillipines in the 90s and was shot dead by crims.

• Advertisement

Plastic Bertrand :)

Falco's Rock Me Amadeus switching between German and English as seamlessly as a Fast Show news report with Chris Waddle.

Oh c'est Vanessa.

Ian Dury - legend :)

Ian Dury - legend :)

Baxter isn't bad either - made his photo debut on the cover of New Boots and Panties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

This morning at 4.50,
    I took her rather nifty
    Down to an incubator
    Where thirty minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Doug Wood did the theme they used to use for the darts on BBC as well.

Never knew that was Doug Wood as well. Someone in the BBC loved him and we all benefitted. Inspired choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Some great stuff on now.

The Old Grey Whistle Test and Rock Goes To College footage is great.

.....my best friends girlfriend

Classic Iggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Classic Iggy.

Liberty Rock Radio.

• Advertisement

"Sexy little schoolgirls"

That aged well.

Advertisement