Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Probably the last year you heard the term the big four of Thrash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72,895 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I have no daughter, therefore no slaughtering tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭dasdog

Probably the last year you heard the term the big four of Thrash.

Didn't go to see Slayer in 1988 - I've seen them five times since. Saw Metallica, a few songs from Anthrax and Megadeth 88/89. Megadeth were unreal.

dasdog wrote: »
    C&C music factory was the closest America got to dance culture until daftpunk hit them in the face in the early 00's and they layed off the hippin and the hopping and turned to molly.

Even though they invented House and Techno but it didnt take off in a big way there.

KEYTAR KLAXON!

• Advertisement

Even though they invented House and Techno but it didnt take off in a big way there.

Same as blues and jazz music - bring it to Europe to be appreciated. Racism basically.

Paul Cook of The Sex Pistols on drums for Bananarama!!

No, really! :eek:

PLAY PREFAB SPROUT!!

The Poppies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jaysus I dont remember PWEI being that crap! :eek:

• Advertisement

And why was the volume suddenly turned down? :confused:

I hope that keyboard player dropped a white dove or something before that performance! :p

I'm not even sure if I saw Jaysus Jones or Pop Will Eat Itself. Same kind of forgetful bollocks really.

I'm not even sure if I saw them or Pop Will Eat Itself. Same kind of forgetful bollocks really.

I was a rocker and stopped watch TOTP back then and my memories are vague but my mates who were into alt. One of them were always going on about them being way up there! :p

I was a rocker and stopped watch TOTP back then and my memories are vague but my mates who were into alt. One of them were always going on about them being way up there! :p

More interest in Sepultura at that point in time myself.

90s-hammertime.gif

More interest in Sepultura at that point in time myself.
    Did you see them in the Top Hat around 90/91? Epic gig altogether!

Did you see them in the Top Hat around 90/91? Epic gig altogether!

I did - still have the ticket

90s-hammertime.gif

I remember watching that episode when it aired. I detested his music but I kinda felt for Mr Hammer! :p That was bad! :D

I did - still have the ticket

Deadly!! Man the G'n'R clone support band got some stick until the last song when they played Holiday in Cambodia(I could be wrong there but close) and brought the house down!

Anyways, this was the start of the decline of Maiden! Sad if you were a fan.

• Advertisement

Deadly!! Man the G'n'R clone support band got some stick until the last song when they played Holiday in Cambodia(I could be wrong there but close) and brought the house down!

Anyways, this was the start of the decline of Maiden! Sad if you were a fan.

Sound lads in 1990 - whole band.

y4s07tA.jpg

From the poster ‘AcerBen’ on Digital Spy enquiring about when and if ‘The Story Of 1991’ will be shown...

I've just had an email back from Head of Music TV Commissioning at the BBC. I asked whether she could confirm that Story Of 1991 would be shown at some point or had the series been discontinued.

She has responded:

"We think it will go out in the autumn, date to be confirmed. There is a new run of films coming to be announced soon."

Probably no point going back to ask why - my best guess would be that production/editing was put on hold due to the proposed changes to the BBC programming budget, and perhaps now that has been decided and/or they've seen how well the BBC Two repeats have done, it's back on?

31 years ago...man I feel old! Shame what happened to them all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I must have repressed all memory of that, dont recall it at all.

Mother-of-god-meme_3997206.jpg

In fairness, he was quite heavily on the piss at the time*

* bonus internet point - name the TV series

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I remember watching that episode when it aired. I detested his music but I kinda felt for Mr Hammer! :p That was bad! :D

i felt for anyone interviewed by Mark Lamarr, total W@nker if ever there was one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Abba at the bbc on now at 1130. not bad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Anthrax. Bastards walked off stage after three songs in the Top Hat 1989 because they were being spat at. It was £8 and we got £5 refunds. I'll never forgive them.

saw them in rock city Nottingham absolutely brilliant. think I still have the 12 inch of i am the law somwhere

fryup wrote: »
    i felt for anyone interviewed by Mark Lamarr, total W@nker if ever there was one

Yeah, I hated the fu<ker back then too but took a shine to him when he did Never Mind the Buzzcocks.

saw them in rock city Nottingham absolutely brilliant. think I still have the 12 inch of i am the law somwhere
    Among the Living is a bit of a classic. And what they did with Public Enemy was actually reasonably good - although the horror of Nu Metal that followed :pac:
    Skid X wrote: »
    9pm The Live Revival (Sky Arts) New!
    Ep 1 of 3 A showcase for small music venues that have been closed during the pandemic, with performances by artists who played in them at the start of their careers, including Paul Weller, David Gray, Sleaford Mods, Amy McDonald, the Fratellis, Frank Turner and James

This was very much meh. Weller doing his granny impression, the usual Noel Gallagher nonsense and a couple of decent tunes from Sleaford Mods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I hope that keyboard player dropped a white dove or something before that performance! :p

The piano started melting and I was wading up to my thighs in it by the chorus.

- Julian Cope, on his 1981 appearance on TOTP performing with (The) Teardrop Explodes, after dropping a little acid

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement