Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,613 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I don’t remember Rushen out to buy this version.

:cool:

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

“Welcome to ‘Top Of The Pops’! Here’s Massive Attack! Oh, wait...here’s Bomb The Bass! Oh...here’s ‘Rock The Casbah’! Dammit!”
    dasdog wrote: »
    Phil Collins "In The Air" was deemed inappropriate

It seemed mad at the time, still does now

Especially as every station was showing rolling CNN or similar coverage all night

"No, Massive Attack - you need to lose the Attack"

• Registered Users Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Parachute by Something Happens also a victim of that madness

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Patsy Cline's Crazy back in the charts at the same time as Seal's Crazy

Crazy Days

• Advertisement

What’s this song called again? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

I don't want to jinx it but there hasn't been any Jason Donovan and associated bollocks so far.

And Rick just appeared.

rick-astley.jpg

I've no recollection of this Queen song getting to number one at all

I'd completely forgotten about this which made a mid chart entry this week using vocal outtakes.

A "Thin Lizzy" played the SFX in 1991 which I went as I was too young to see the band when they were together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Skid X wrote: »

Same here weirdly, despite distincly remembering Iron Maidens TYDTS reaching no 1 just a couple of weeks earlier for the fact that it was so out of kilter.

Same here weirdly, despite distincly remembering Iron Maidens TYDTS reaching no 1 just a couple of weeks earlier for the fact that it was so out of kilter.

Maiden's "Bring your daughter" and Megadeth's "No More Mister Nice Guy" were reasons why I turned my back on metal and delved into electronica and is why Nirvana will soon appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I do. I was and still am a huge fan. I think it was announced on the radio that week that the new video would be on TOTP and that the song was in a similar vein to Bohemian Rhapsody. I do remember being super excited by it. I was a metaller and was well impressed by the heaviness after the orchestral bit. Ran out and bought the single in Virgin that Saturday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sigrid shouldn't really be the sort of thing I like but it's just so catchy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this was an era of really low single sales, both the Maiden and Queen songs got to the top on paltry numbers. I don't think either got a lot of radio play at the time but the bands had big fanbases to go out and buy the single in the first week.

The Maiden single only spent 5 weeks on the chart, 2 of them at no. 1. "Innuendo" was in the charts for 6 weeks, compare that to "I want to break free" which only reached no. 3 but was on the chart for 15 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,877 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The square wave beep's in 3am Eternal followed by the vocal is perfect for it's time - cracking tune

Samples from a poker machine.

Phil Collins "In The Air" was deemed inappropriate

Coming in the air tonight was very inappropriate when it was that Cork radio presenter on a plane having a knuckle shuffle..

Patsy Cline's Crazy back in the charts at the same time as Seal's Crazy

Crazy Days

Totally forgettable rubbish, Queen by numbers. Shít video, too...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Samples from a poker machine.

I'd love if there was a story behind that as it sounds like an Akai S1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,877 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Maybe, I don't know, but I spent way too much time late 80s / early 90s when I should have been at lectures in the snooker hall where part of The Commitments was filmed, and they had poker machines that sounded exactly like that...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Maybe, I don't know, but I spent way too much time late 80s / early 90s when I should have been at lectures smoking really bad Moroccan hash and taking LSD and wild mushrooms containing Psilocybin

Guns ‘N’ Roses live on Sky Arts right now :)

It was supposed to be on at 3pm this afternoon, but you know how Axl likes to keep ‘em waiting.

:cool:

• Advertisement

‘Estranged’ :(

Jaysus wept...time for the entire audience to go for a pee break.

Hello, here comes the weekend and news of a new Doc about Robbie Robertson and The Band on BBC4. Saturday sees a pile up of similar films about Oasis, The Stone Roses and Factory Records at the same time. BBC2 has Tina Turner Fever and there's Hot Metal action on Sky ...

Thursday
    6.30pm Queen Live At Wembley 1986 (Sky Arts)
    7.45pm Queen Live In Rio 1985 (Sky Arts)

9pm The Live Revival (Sky Arts)

10pm Oasis Live By The Sea (Sky Arts)
    From Southend

11.15pm Suede Live At The Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)

11.25pm Tradfest – The Dublin Castle Sessions (RTE2)
    Ep 4

1.20am Suede - The Insatiable Ones (Sky Arts)
    Doc

Friday
    7pm Soundtracks – Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)

7pm Royal Blood Live (BBC Red Button, Repeated on Loop)

7.05pm Singer Songwriters At The BBC (Sky Arts)
    An hour-long compilation of classic singles highlighting the growing popularity of the singer-songwriter genre during the 1970s, which became one of the decade's defining styles. Featuring music by Elton John, James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Harry Nilsson, Neil Diamond, Steve Goodman, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young

8pm Classic Albums: Iron Maiden – The Number Of The Beast (Sky Arts)

8pm & 1.05am Top Of The Pops 1991 – January 31 (BBC4)
    Anthea Turner presents the edition first broadcast on 31 January 1991 and featuring EMF, Nomad and Soho

8.30pm & 1.35am Top Of The Pops 1991 – February 7 (BBC4)
    Bruno Brookes presents the show first broadcast on 7 February 1991 and featuring the KLF, Kenny Thomas and Kim Appleby

9pm & 2.05am Once Were Brothers – Robbie Robertson And The Band (BBC4) New!
    The story of how the Canadian guitarist overcame adversity and found camaraderie alongside the four other men who would become his brothers in music in the Band. The film blends rare archival footage, photography, songs and interviews with Robertson's friends and collaborators, including Martin Scorsese, Bruce Springsteen, Eric Clapton and Van Morrison

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/sep/04/once-were-brothers-review-robbie-robertson-and-the-band

9pm Iron Maiden - Somewhere Back In Time Live (Sky Arts)
    2008 gig

10pm Later … With Jools Holland (BBC2)
    Singer-songwriter Joan Armatrading chats to Jools and picks her favourite clips from the Later archive, including appearances by Tinie Tempah, the Ting Tings and Skepta. Rock band Field Music perform No Pressure at the Empire Theatre in their native Sunderland, and there is film of Los Angeles-based group Gabriels playing the title track from their debut EP Love and Hate in a Different Time

10pm Britain’s Favourite 90s songs – 1993 (Channel 5)

10.20pm The Live Revival (Sky Arts)

10.35pm Guitar Drum And Bass: On Guitar – Lenny Kaye(BBC4)
    The American guitarist recounts the story of the quest for new guitar sounds, which has driven pop music from Les Paul's first guitar to Bo Diddley's tremolo, Duane Eddy's whammy bar, Keith Richards' fuzz pedal, the Who's feedback, the Byrds' 12 string, Hendrix's wah wah pedal, Uli Roth and Van Halen's shredding, the Edge's digital delay, Ry Cooder's slide and KT Tunstall and Ed Sheeran's looper pedals. Contributors include Duane Eddy, Roger McGuinn, the Edge, Bonnie Raitt, Seasick Steve, KT Tunstall, Joe Bonamassa, Uli Jon Roth, Vernon Reid, Heart's Nancy Wilson, the Runaways' Lita Ford and producer Shel Talmy

10.45pm Gary Barlow – I’m With The Band (BBC1)
    The Take That star brings together artists and musicians to perform classic songs from past and present. The band comprises Jamie Cullum (piano and vocals), James Bay (guitar and vocals), Mica Paris (vocals), Guy Chambers (keyboards and musical director), Tom Fletcher (guitar and vocals), Danya Fisher (bass) and Donavan Hepburn (drums), and of course Gary on keys and vocals. He also welcomes special guests to the show, as Anne-Marie and Craig David drop by and collaborate with Gary and the band, talk about their careers and musical heroes, and perform new versions of classic tracks

11.20pm David Bowie – Serious Moonlight (Sky Arts)
    1983 Vancouver gig

11.28pm Cork Folk Festival (TG4)

11.35pm Huey Morgan’s Latin Music Adventure - Brazil (BBC4)
    The 6Music presenter embarks on a quest to understand Latin Music's enduring appeal. Arriving in Rio, Huey learns that Brazil's newly elected government has come out against the hedonistic atmosphere of carnival and that Mangueira Samba School group is just one of many planning a protest. Later, he meets Gilberto Gil, who pioneered a new, politically conscious sound known as Tropicália. It was so radical - and its social implications so profound - that Gil was imprisoned and finally exiled in 1969. In Salvador, Huey meets percussionist Carlinhos Brown to talk about how afro positive music has shaped the sound of Brazil

11.35pm Diana Ross – Secret Of Her Greatest Hits (Channel 5)

12.35am Latin Music – A Session With Bossacucanova and Roberto Menesca
    Bossacucanova is a Brazilian musical group combining traditional Bossa Nova with electronica. Pioneer of bossa nova Roberto Menescal, joins the band - which co-comprises his son Márcio - in their Rio studio, for a re-interpreting of classic Bossa hits. With contributions by Mustafa Baba Aussa and Marcio Menescal. Partly in Portuguese with English subtitles

1.15am Hansa Studios – By The Wall 1976-90 (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about the recording studio, which used to overlook the Berlin Wall and hosted artists including David Bowie, Iggy Pop, U2 and Brian Eno

3.10am Discovering Music – David Bowie (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    11am Leonard Cohen – I’m Your Man (Sky Documentaries)
    5.30pm Discovering Music – Muse (Sky Arts)
    6pm Muse Live At Rome Olympic Stadium 2013 (Sky Arts)

7.05pm Coldplay Live (BBC Red Button, on loop)
    Coldplay like you've never seen them before, performing at a jaw-dropping special location. Not my words, just copied and pasted. Im only the messenger here.

8pm The Live Revival (Sky Arts)

8pm Top Of The Pops – The Story Of 1989 (BBC2)
    Contributors include Jason Donovan, Lisa Stansfield, Shaun Ryder, Chris Rea, Marc Almond, Sharleen Spiteri, Jazzie B and Jenny Powell

8.40pm Pat Shortt’s Music From D’Telly (RTE1)
    featuring Carole King, the Pogues, Christy Moore, Jackson Browne, Phil Coulter and Luke Kelly

8.40pm Tina Turner At The BBC (BBC2)
    Part of Tina Turner Night

9pm Download Reloaded (Sky Arts)
    Ep 1 of 2. Highlights of the rock event between 2011 and 2019, featuring performances by Iron Maiden, Slipknot, Def Leppard and Halestorm

9.45pm Tina Turner – Simply The Best (BBC2)
    The singer chats to BBC arts editor Will Gompertz about the highs and lows of her career and bring her well-documented life story up to date. In a wide-ranging conversation, she talks about the tragedy of her eldest son's recent suicide, how an unexpected stroke affected the early days of her second marriage, and how her life was saved when her husband became her kidney donor. She also discusses the musical collaborations that saw her become one of the icons of the 1980s, and the abusive relationship with ex-husband Ike Turner, which set her on the road to stardom, but also nearly destroyed her. First broadcast in 2018. Expect to see Ryan Tubridy listed as a Question Consultant

10pm Scotland’s Football Jukebox (BBC Scotland)
    A look at the best Scottish football anthems throughout the years, mixing nostalgia, humour and unforgettable tunes, and featuring contributions from the likes of Alan Rough, Murdo MacLeod, Colin Hendry, Fish, Andy Cameron and The Krankies

10.30pm-12.40am Tina Live! (BBC2)
    A 2009 concert by Tina Turner in the Dutch city of Arnhem as part of her 50th anniversary tour

11pm Black Sabbath – The End Of The End (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the band's last gig, a sold-out home town performance on February 4, 2017, at Birmingham's 16,000-seat Genting Arena
    11pm Guitar Heroes At The BBC (Yesterday)

11.30pm Film: Oasis - Supersonic (RTE2)
    Documentary about the early years of the Manchester band who dominated the charts in the mid-1990s. The film focuses on the relationship between Gallagher brothers Noel and Liam, including their infamous sibling rivalry, and also features rare concert footage.

Midnight Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)

12.40am Film: Three Summers (BBC2)
    Over the course of three years, two musicians meet and fall in love at a music festival in Western Australia amidst a microcosm of the country's society. Romantic comedy, written and directed by Ben Elton and starring Robert Sheehan, Rebecca Breeds and Michael Caton

12.45am Film: 24 Hour Party People (Channel 4)
    Biopic of Tony Wilson, journalist, founder of Factory Records and the Hacienda nightclub and the man credited with breathing new life into Manchester's music scene, introducing the world to bands including Joy Division, New Order and Happy Mondays. I liked it.

1am Korn – Loud Krazy Love (Sky Arts)
    A film about the life of Brian Welch of rock band Korn and how it changed when he walked away from a $23m record deal and vowed to kick his drug habit and become a good father

1.10am Elton John In His Own Words (RTE1)
    2019 interview with Graham Norton to promote something or other.

1.25am Film: The Stone Roses – Made Of Stone (Film4)
    Documentary about the influential British rock band, in which film-maker Shane Meadows follows the group as they prepare for their 2012 reunion concerts at Manchester's Heaton Park, the first time they had played together in 16 years. Featuring previously unseen archive footage spanning the Roses' history

3am Classic Albums: Def Leppard – Hysteria (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    5pm Music Icons - British Metal (Sky Arts)
    5.30pm Discovering Music – Iron Maiden (Sky Arts)
    5.55pm Pearl Jam – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

7pm The Turn Of The Screw (BBC4)
    Opera

7.10pm Metallica: S&M2 (Sky Arts)
    From San Francisco 2019

8.55pm Benjamin Britten On Camera (BBC4)
    BBC4 and Sky Arts going on differing tangents tonight

9pm-10.30pm Download Festival Reloaded (Sky Arts)
    Ep 2 of 2 Celebrating the best moments of the rock festival between 2011 and 2019, featuring Iron Maiden, Slipknot, Def Leppard and Halestorm

9.30pm Cork Folk Festival (TG4)

10.30pm Iron Maiden – Flight 666 (Sky Arts)
    Doc featuring their 2008 World Tour

12.40am Muse: Drones – World Tour (Sky Arts)

Then on Monday there’s a chance to see Danny Boyle’s Beatles film ‘Yesterday’ (RTE1 9.30pm) about the lad who wakes up and nobody remembers The Beatles. Like the Decca Records Manager predicted.

If you have something called Apple TV or can find it accidentally on the Internet there's a new Doc about how music changed in 1971

Very odd poor quality clip here of Lenny Kravitz bailing on a live performance on Channel 4 years ago, and letting the band play on. Dave Fanning and Craig Ferguson (who was soon to go on to big things in America) are on hand to ignore it afterwards

And here's a parrot auditioning for AC/DC
    https://twitter.com/nahtanoj1971/status/1381532393824194561

Finally, the Most Unlikely Appearance Of Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory In The Summer might be on Monday on RTE1 at 3.55pm

Speaking of Pure Imagination, Boards is apparently temporarily closing down next Tuesday and Wednesday for migration to a new platform. Nothing will go wrong and I'm sure we'll all be back on Thursday with everything working perfectly and no bugs at all. See you then!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058190406

• Registered Users Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sky Arts is trying to confuse us this weekend... there are two "Austin City Limits" concerts.

Don Henley: Austin City Limits - Starting: 15:40 on Saturday 5th June
    Pearl Jam: Austin City Limits - Starting: 17:55 on Sunday 6th June

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

TAPPYPAPPY!!

giphy.gif

Tom Waits currently putting me in a happy Friday night mood :D

EMF had another song? :eek: :pac:

I WANNA GIVE YOU DEVOTION!!

tenor.gif

Meh, tis no Enigma.