Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

“Real quality at number 34, Black Lace with ‘Hokey Cokey’.”

:D

The ‘Rupert The Bear’ look was all the rage in ‘86.

:O :O :O

‘Wrap Her Up’ by Elton with George Michael!

George was quoted at the time in Smash Hits magazine that "it sounded like I had my willy in a garotte" because of the falsetto he sings throughout the song.

Coincidentally, ‘Willy In A Garotte’ was also a Frank Zappa album :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

‘Wrap Her Up’ by Elton with George Michael!

George was quoted at the time in Smash Hits magazine that "it sounded like I had my willy in a garotte" because of the falsetto he sings throughout the song.

Coincidentally, ‘Willy In A Garotte’ was also a Frank Zappa album :D

Jimmy Sommerville: 'Hold my beer'.

Love Resurrection is a classic.

And she dealt with the balloon bouncing off her head like a pro :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

meatloaf - deadringer tour was my first gig

All hail Edwyn Collins!

Love me some early Orange Juice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Orange Juice were a fine band but nothing compares to Collins’ first solo album after suffering from a stroke and having to learn to speak again. Absolutely brilliant album.

I hope to God you’re not as dumb as you make out,
    I hope to God
    I hope to God

:)

Oh god, Wet Wet Wet.

*shudder*

Where’s Skid tonight? :D

• Advertisement

PHILO :)

A bit strange of Clannad to hold a ‘Tony Ionmi Lookalike Contest’ on TOTP.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Just cam in from the bozer, turned on the telly and Shakey is singing Merry Xmas. I was beginning to have doubts about those mushrooms I had earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It was pretty obvious that time though, because there was no No.1 that week!
    BandMember wrote: »
    Hotblack is correct - that's exactly what they did! I saw the same documentary... ;) It's only when you see/hear things like that, that you realise how much times have changed and how f**ked up things were back then (talk about conservative!!).....this would only be a small thing in the greater scheme of things....but you get my drift....

Ha, that's class. I'm sure I've seen the same doc but I must have missed that gem

You could make a sketch around that with RTE leaving out all the dangerous modern popular music under pressure from the Church

"And now the Irish Top 20 for December 5th 1966 sponsored by The Diocese of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilefenora

Dermot O'Brien falls two to Number Thirteen with 'Merry Ploughboy', and Johnny McEvoy is still at Number Four with 'Mursheen Durkin'

That concludes the Top 20 for this week. Thanks Be To God "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_number-one_singles_of_1966_(Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

There were many hilarious instances of censorship with regards to TOTP over the years. A couple I can recall are Weller singing "bullfrogs are bullfrogs" in place of "bullsh!t is bullsh!t" on Beat Surrender and The Gang of Four being banned because their song had the word "rubbers" in it. I was always surprised Rod Stewart got away with Aint Love a Bitch. Should have been banned for being cr@p at least, if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    "9pm Reginald D Hunter's Songs Of The Border (BBC2) New!
    Against the backdrop of President Trump's planned construction of a wall between the two countries, the comedian takes a 2,000-mile musical road trip along the US-Mexico border. He explores how romance and reality play out musically, where third-world Mexico meets first-world USA on `the broken road to the American Dream"

Oh yes! My man Reg D doing more of this sort of thing?

Fantastico!

What the f*ck is this sh*t?

Wimbledon doubles is on, and now it says f*ckin bleedin Live At The Apollo is next?

Not cool, BBC. Not cool at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Just flashed up there.

"Reginald D Hunter's Songs of the Border will be shown at a later date".

Well. I wouldn't have expected news like this to annoy me quite as much as it has.

Bullsh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yep rather annoying and of course needless - it's not as if the BBC run a 24 hour service, just shovel everything on that bit later including the test card or whatever shines out through the night all alone. No one will mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hah! Test card! They haven't been on in years (and some people do actualy miss them!)

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Hah! Test card! They haven't been on in years (and some people do actualy miss them!)

The girl in that test card was the daughter of one of the BBC engineers responsible for setting the levels of color for the transmissions when they were testing them.

I miss them too, even the ones with a monotone audio signal. I've never been able to work out why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hi, BBC4 concludes that Smashing Hits thing this week and shows more Prom stuff. Sky Arts has a new Iggy Pop thing featuring Josh Homme from Queens Of The Stone Age, and an imported CNN series about Soundtracks.

That Reg Hunter show, Songs Of The Border, that was cancelled last week due to the tennis doesn't have a rescheduled date yet. You would think they could drop some of the usual crap from BBC2 to make room, ah well ...

Thursday
    12pm Trailblazers - 80s Pop (Sky Arts)

5pm Trailblazers - Prog Rock (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1986 - January 16th (BBC4)
    Mike Read and Dixie Peach present the edition from January 16, featuring Fine Young Cannibals, Dire Straits, A-ha, Mr Mister, Pet Shop Boys and Cherrelle with Alexander O'Neal

2.15am The Doors - Feast of Friends (Sky Arts)
    The Doors' 1968 self-produced documentary film offering a cinematic look at the band on the road during their summer tour

Friday
    12pm & 3.30am Trailblazers - Prog Rock (Sky Arts)

5pm Trailblazers - Electronic Music (Sky Arts)

7.30pm BBC Proms (BBC4)
    Jacob Collier performs with guests including Take 6, Sam Amidon, Becca Stevens and Hamid El Kasri

8pm Discovering Music - Eurythmics (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Dave Stewart and Eurythmics (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Fleadh Cheoil (RTE1)

9pm Soundtracks - Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary exploring the music tied to iconic moments in history, featuring rare archival footage and interviews with a host of famous faces from film and music
    https://edition.cnn.com/shows/soundtracks

9.30pm & 1am Top Of The Pops 1986 - January 30th (BBC4)
    Gary Davies and Janice Long introduce performances by Billy Ocean, Madonna, Talk Talk, Grace Jones, Fine Young Cannibals and A-ha. First shown January 30 1986

9.35pm The Late Late Show - Country Music Special 2018 (RTE1)
    Another chance to see the country music special, including a tribute to Big Tom McBride, who died in April, and featuring performances by the likes of Daniel O'Donnell, Blind Willy Nilly and the Red Diesel Weasels, Nathan Carter, Gloria, Philomena Begley and Jimmy Buckley

10pm Smashing Hits! The 80s Pop Map of Britain and Ireland (BBC4)
    Ep 3/3 Musicians Midge Ure and Kim Appleby visit London and Manchester, the two cities that did battle with each other for musical pre-eminence as '80s music turned towards the new sounds of dance. This is a tale of how studio technology changed music - with British bands putting their own unique spin on dance to produce contrasting northern and southern sounds. Contributors include Denise Pearson from Five Star, Soul II Soul's Jazzie B, Mark Moore of S-Express, Shaun Ryder from the Happy Mondays and Peter Hook of New Order. Last in the series

10.40pm & 1.05am Brian Pern (GOLD)
    S2E1 Brian Pern: A Life in Rock Spoof documentary about the former frontman of a progressive rock group, last seen presenting a history of music in BBC Four's The Life of Rock. In the opening episode, Brian and his Thotch bandmates reunite to discuss the making of a musical based on their songs, but it is not easy as they hate each other. Not only that, on the opening night of Stowe Boys, Brian is unexpectedly arrested by officers from Operation Bad Apples for a crime he doesn't know he has committed. Will he make the second half of the show? Written by Rhys Thomas and Simon Day, who also stars as Pern, with Michael Kitchen, Paul Whitehouse and Nigel Havers

11pm The Beatles - From Liverpool to San Francisco (Sky Arts)
    Documentary following the band's early career and subsequent rise to fame, discovering how they conquered the charts and won millions of fans around the world

11pm & 2.30am The Joy of Abba (BBC4)
    Documentary exploring how pop group Abba raised the bar for their music genre in the 1970s and early '80s, popularising the sound of Swedish melancholy. The programme explores how the quartet of Agnetha Faltskog, Bjorn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson and Anni-Frid Lyngstad came to dominate the British music charts with simple, catchy melodies, but also divided opinion due to the populist sheen of their output

11.35pm Belladrum 2017: KT Tunstall (BBC Alba)

Midnight Abba at the BBC (BBC4)
    Abba performances from the BBC archives

Midnight Pink Floyd - The Story of Wish You Were Here (Sky Arts)
    featuring interviews with Roger Waters, David Gilmour and Nick Mason

12.20am Peter Allen - Not The Boy Next Door (RTE2)
    Part two of two. The story of the music legend's rise from country New South Wales to the Hollywood Hills, becoming part of American royalty along the way. Joel Jackson stars

1.15am Classic Artists - Jethro Tull (Sky Arts)
    The story of the classic rock band from Luton, Jethro Tull, responsible for such renowned hits as Aqualung, Living in the Past, and Thick As a Brick

1.30am The R&B Feeling: The Bob Parks Story (BBC4)
    Documentary offering an intimate portrait of the eccentric artist Bob Parks, from his time on the Los Angeles performance art scene of the early 1970s, through to his return to the UK, and his mutually dependent relationship with his ailing mother, Miggy. The film explores how the dissolution of his seemingly idyllic marriage to San Franciscan wife Myriam Morales saw Bob's burgeoning art career in the US fall to pieces. Spiralling into a self-destructive lifestyle, Bob was eventually `rescued' by the parishioners of a South Central gospel church, who he joined in worship for the next six years. Eventually returning home to the New Forest for what was planned as a six-month stay, Bob takes up residence with his parents, and ends up staying for 30 years. The artist shares his love for gospel church worship, and explores what he calls `the R&B feeling', all while trying to break free of his obsessive fixation on his mother - and her impending death

Saturday
    10am Trailblazers - Nuclear Protest Songs (Sky Arts)

11am Trailblazers - Acid House (Sky Arts)

5pm Film: Ring Of Fire (2013) (True Movies 1)
    The story of the decades-long love affair between June Carter and her husband, Johnny Cash. Romantic drama, starring Jewel Kilcher, Matt Ross and John Doe

6pm Discovering Music - Abba (Sky Arts)

7pm Classic Albums - Bat Out Of Hell (Sky Arts)

7pm TOTP2 - Boy Bands (Yesterday)

8pm The History Of The Clash (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the band's career. Featuring interviews with Mick Jones, Paul Simonon and Topper Headon, plus archive contributions by Joe Strummer

8pm TOTP2 - Girl Groups (Yesterday)

8.55pm Belladrum 2017 (BBC Alba)
    Performers include Franz Ferdinand, the Pretenders, KT Tunstall, Feeder, First Aid Kit, Honeyblood, the Dub Pistols and Louis Berry

9pm & 2.15am Iggy Pop: American Valhalla (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary following the recording of the rock musician's Post Pop Depression album in a secluded studio in the Californian desert with Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme
    http://www.americanvalhallamovie.com/

9pm TOTP2 - Pop Stars (Yesterday)

10pm TOTP2 - Summertime (Yesterday)

10pm Top Of The Pops 1986 - January 16th (BBC4)
    As Thursday

10.30pm Top Of The Pops 1986 - January 30th (BBC4)
    As Friday

10.45pm Queen Rock Montreal (Sky Arts)
    The rock band perform for an audience of more than 18,000 at the Montreal Forum in November 1981. As well as featuring hits including We Will Rock You, Killer Queen and Bohemian Rhapsody, the concert also saw the first live performance of Under Pressure

11.05pm Cuirm@Celtic - Moving Hearts (BBC Alba)
    Legendary band Moving Hearts play Titanic at Celtic Connections. Supporting them are NeXo, a band featuring top musicians from around the world

11.10pm U2 at Abbey Road (RTE2)
    The band performs some of their biggest hits, and at the Abbey Road Studios in London, they chat about their lives and career. Presented by Cat Deeley

Midnight Smashing Hits! The 80s Pop Map of Britain and Ireland (BBC4)
    As Friday

12.45am Soundtracks - Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

1am Classic Soul at the BBC (BBC4)
    Performances from the BBC archive by acclaimed soul singers, including Aretha Franklin, Al Green, Isaac Hayes, Dusty Springfield, Solomon Burke and Percy Sledge

1.45am Discovering Music - James Brown (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    12pm Trailblazers - Electronic Music (Sky Arts)

3pm Johnny Cash - A Legend in Concert (Sky Arts)
    A selection of early recordings by the country star, featuring performances of Five Feet High and Rising, I Got Stripes and Don't Take Your Guns to Town

7.30pm Pat Shortt's Music From D'Telly (RTE1)
    Featuring a profile of Philomena Begley and performances by Mary and Frances Black, Jewel, Macy Gray, Leslie Dowdall, Pauline Scanlon and Nana Mouskouri

7pm BBC Proms (BBC4)
    A performance by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales

8pm Fleadh TV (TG4)

9pm The Who: Tommy Live at the Royal Albert Hall 2017 (Sky Arts)
    A concert from 2017 in which the band perform their rock opera Tommy in its entirety for the first time, with tracks including The Acid Queen and Pinball Wizard

10.30pm The Who: Sensation - The Story of Tommy (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the background, creation and impact of the Who's 1969 double album Tommy, featuring interviews with Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey and John Entwistle

11.45pm Soundtracks: Songs that defined History (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

12.45am Soundstage - Joan Baez (Sky Arts)
    The Grammy award-winning American folk singer is joined by Gillian Welch and Nickel Creek for this 2004 concert

2am Discovering Music - Abba (Sky Arts)

Elsewhere RTE Radio 1 had an enjoyable Doc based on a newly found Bootleg tape of Johnny Cash's performance in The National Stadium on his 1963 Irish Tour. You can stream or download it here https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2018/0630/974358-johnny-cashs-lost-tour-of-ireland/

I haven't heard it, but BBC Radio 4 recently had a drama featuring Bowie in Berlin making his 'Low' Album in 1977. You can stream that until August 6th https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b90l1c

That's about it, as always if you have seen anything else of interest do let us know.

The Best performance of New York, New York by Gremlins of The Week might be in Gremlins 2 (RTE1, Sunday 1.40pm)
    That's weird daytime scheduling of a weird film https://www.avclub.com/meet-the-worlds-most-prominent-gremlins-2-scholar-1822836749

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Iggy Pop. He always reminds me of Liberty Rock Radio in GTA IV :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Looking forward to the Abba doc.

Queen in Montreal is always good. Probably their strongest performance on video that isn't Live Aid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Now 100 is out today. :D;)

Inevitably, there's been a big build-up to this occasion, with numerous articles on the BBC site and in the papers - including one about why Now 48 is particularly popular:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-39628619

There's also been a Radio 2 documentary, presented by Gary Davies - which is well worth a listen if you haven't done so already (but you've only got two weeks).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b8bn3f

Meanwhile, the folks at TV Cream have been going over the early volumes with the intention of compiling the ultimate Now tracklist - with the help of their readers, of course. (They're only going as far as Now 50, because going any further would defeat the site's purpose and they haven't heard of most of the artists on the more recent volumes. :D;))

http://www.tvcream.co.uk/category/pop/pig-hits/

I, for one, can't complain with "Together in Electric Dreams" (from Now 4), "Running Up That Hill" (6), "I Should Be So Lucky" (11), "Theme from S'Express" (12), "There She Goes" (18), "Go West" (26), "Girls and Boys" (28), "Confide in Me" (29), "Lovefool" (37) and "Teardrop" (40) being on this tracklist - and I'm hoping "National Express" (42) gets on it, too. :D Regardless, it's better than disc two of Now 100 - which starts with UB40 and Phil Collins, but gets to the Spice Girls as early as track 5 and Britney by track 9, and inevitably ends with Justin Bieber...

(It *did* have to include "...Baby One More Time", mind, as not only does everyone know this song but it also opened Now 44, still the biggest-selling volume to date. And it had to include "Can't Get You Out Of My Head", too - this song opened Now 50, and leaving Kylie out would be a crime. :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just a heads up for a Proms feature on the BBC Radiophonic Workshop on Monday 23rd, and shown next Friday but not until 11 PM which is a bit [inserts weee-oooo sound effect here].

Whatever you do Kim, don’t mention ‘Shaddap Your Face’!

Midge will dump you on the hard shoulder :D

‘Theme From S-Express’ - stone cold classic!

Enjoy this trip.
    Enjoy this trip.
    And it is a trip.

:D

Midge inadvertently stumbles into Shaun Ryder’s gangland hangout.

Talk Talk were miles ahead of anyone imo. 'The Colour of Spring' is amazing but if I had to pick one 'Spirit of Eden' would be my favourite album of all time.

• Advertisement

Here's Grace! Love this bassline so much.

Advertisement