Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,613 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Al Green is the type of performer who’s already in the back of the limousine before his band have played the final note.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

He's got the crowd in the palm of his rose gripped hands. Band are fantastic too - probably be beaten if you made a mistake in rehearsal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Reverend Green will be glad to see you, when you haven't got a prayer ..

"Cohn explained: "The first thing was go to the Full Gospel Tabernacle Church on a Sunday morning to hear the Reverend Al Green preach. I [soon] had chills running up and down my spine.

"The service was so deeply moving that I found myself with sweat running down my face and tears in my eyes, totally enveloped by everything I was seeing and hearing.

"There was something incredibly powerful about Al Green's voice in that context. Even after three hours of continuous singing, his voice only got stronger and his band only got better"

https://www.smoothradio.com/features/the-story-of/walking-in-memphis-marc-cohn-meaning-lyrics/

From the sublime to Robbie Williams. Three Lions on the mic turned nasty a few days later and David Beckham became a figure of hate in England.

I actually saw him playing a support slot at Slane a few months after this and his split his pants jumping around on stage doing Robbie Williams things. In fairness to him he laughed it off and carried on. To be honest I was so out of it on a load of valium tablets we found en route to the gig it could have been Robin Williams up on stage for all I knew.

And now Ed Byrne doing Oasis karaoke

• Advertisement

Concert promoters doing concert promoter things. Slane 1998 was:

Finlay Quaye
    Junkster
    James
    The Seahorses
    Robbie Williams
    Manic Street Preachers
    The Verve

...so much of what appeared at these Glastonbury highlights. The Verve were the only ones worth their salt doing their "final" gig.

Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 -

"music" includes sounds wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats.

Underworld/Orbital should be doing life sentences - thankfully the whole thing moved to continental Europe as I did for a while.

Tony Bennett up now - had tickets to see him a few years ago but he had to cancel which is forgivable at 90+ years of age.

Bernard Butler there, fine guitarist and I think his solo work was underrated (McAlmont and Butler were great)

Suede were never as good after he left

‘A Little Soul’ by Pulp - heartbreaking. :(

Always preferred ‘This Is Hardcore’ to ‘Different Class’.

Barenaked Ladies.

*shudder*

• Advertisement

A quick glimpse at Courtney Love's Hole just now

snigger

What's quite stark is the production values from twenty three years ago - it actually holds up quite well with coverage and sound.

I do prefer a few hundred people in mid week concerts than being surrounded by festival goers though. It's like the music equivalent of New Years Eve or Paddy's days for one weekend. Give me multiple small gigs during the year instead.

REM on BBC2 and BBC4 at the same time from the same set eclipse moment just now

Seems to be better than Ash or Travis. I deliberately delayed getting to see Ash play a free outdoor gig in Manly, Sydney one Sunday afternoon in 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭OldRio

Sooooo... I never 'got' Radiohead. Therefore I thought let's have a good listen and a new start. I watched the full concert last night.

Crap. Utter crap. Winey vocals over a grungey garage rock sound. Dreadful.
    All IMHO of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

OldRio wrote: »
    Sooooo... I never 'got' Radiohead. Therefore I thought let's have a good listen and a new start. I watched the full concert last night.

Crap. Utter crap. Winey vocals over a grungey garage rock sound. Dreadful.
    All IMHO of course.

Yup same. Loada shíte

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Creep and High and Dry are great songs. The rest of their stuff is very average to me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

For balance, I am very much in the opposite camp.

Not sure I ever watched the 97 set in its entirety. Should do so. Pretty much the same as the set they played in the RDS the weekend before.

Evening Kylie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

‘Non-classical’ symphonies, many of those RH pieces :D

Damn, TV Glastonbuty gets me every year, even when it’s (necessarily) repeats/compilations – vicarious festival going at its best :p

• Advertisement

Iggy Pop didn’t quite think the stage invasion through :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Reverse stage-diving of sorts?

Rock ‘n’ Roll!

Now can you all politely leave the stage so I can perform the next song.

Why Frank Zappa never played this festival is the question

5bb41d57cb216e57825c0ef83eb1658923-maurizio-cattelan-bedtime-stories.rsquare.w1200.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

dasdog wrote: »
    Why Frank Zappa never played this festival is the question

Never mind that, he never played in Ireland the fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭trashcan

Creep and High and Dry are great songs. The rest of their stuff is very average to me

In fairness, The Bends is a very good album. OK Computer is over rated, and they completely disappeared up their collective rear end for me after that.

Never mind that, he never played in Ireland the fecker.

Dweezil did a few years ago - picking jaw up from the floor good.

Don’t know if you can get S4C over there (might be available to watch back on the website), but tonight there is a documentary about legendary Welsh electronic outfit Datblygu, in tribute to David R. Edwards who passed away last week…

https://twitter.com/lwps4c/status/1409104218510696454?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don’t know if you can get S4C over there (might be available to watch back on the website), but tonight there is a documentary about legendary Welsh electronic outfit Datblygu, in tribute to David R. Edwards who passed away last week…

https://twitter.com/lwps4c/status/1409104218510696454?s=21

Freesat 120

Or tune manually to

11426 V 29500 8/9 (HD)
    11344 V 27500 5/6 (SD)

Advertisement