Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Here's Grace! Love this bassline so much.

Are you going to see her on Monday night (folding chairs optional :D )?

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/07/20/slaves-to-the-rhythm/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Are you going to see her on Monday night (folding chairs optional :D )?

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/07/20/slaves-to-the-rhythm/

Would love to but splashed the cash on going to see Arsenal in the Aviva the following week.

Now 100 is out today. :D;)

I, for one, can't complain with "Together in Electric Dreams" (from Now 4), "Running Up That Hill" (6), "I Should Be So Lucky" (11), "Theme from S'Express" (12), "There She Goes" (18), "Go West" (26), "Girls and Boys" (28), "Confide in Me" (29), "Lovefool" (37) and "Teardrop" (40) being on this tracklist - and I'm hoping "National Express" (42) gets on it, too. :D Regardless, it's better than disc two of Now 100 - which starts with UB40 and Phil Collins, but gets to the Spice Girls as early as track 5 and Britney by track 9, and inevitably ends with Justin Bieber...

I had Now! 8 through to Now! 23 on casette - I always remember a fault with my Now! 8 tape...during ‘Human’ by The Human League, you would hear a backwards snippet of ‘Suburbia’ by The Pet Shop Boys for a few seconds which was on the other side.

Is it too late to ask for a refund? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I had Now! 8 through to Now! 23 on casette - I always remember a fault with my Now! 8 tape...during ‘Human’ by The Human League, you would hear a backwards snippet of ‘Suburbia’ by The Pet Shop Boys for a few seconds which was on the other side.

Is it too late to ask for a refund? :D

A refund? You can't buy unique remixes like that.

Next time Antiques Roadshow is in town bring it along and get a valuation. Just for insurance purposes, naturally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Hah! Test card! They haven't been on in years (and some people do actualy miss them!)

BBC2 broadcast one for about a minute each morning before beginning that day's programmes .

No music though just a clicking sound to help determine if audio and video are in sync

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Word on the street (well, entertainment.ie) is that Reg D's Songs of the Border is on this Sat at 9.

I warn you BBC. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on you again. Because that'd be extra shameful.

Hi there, the BBC digs deeps and pulls out a 1985 Mick Jagger Whistle Test and the bit of a 1971 TOTP compilation that they didn't tape over. There's also that Radiophonic Prom and the Reginald D Hunter Show that they dropped in favour of the Tennis a while back. There are all kinds of repeats elsewhere, Sky Arts almost showing that American Soundtracks thing on a loop ...

Thursday
    6am Gary Barlow Live At Eden (BBC Red Button, Repeated on loop over most of the weekend)

12pm Trailblazers - Pop Videos (Sky Arts)
    Arlene Phillips and Gary Numan are among those taking a look at the development of the music video, including Michael Jackson's Thriller and David Bowie's The Jean Genie

5pm & 3am Conscience Songs (Sky Arts)
    Rick Wakeman and Pete Waterman are among those examining the emergence and impact of songs that brought major issues to the world's attention

1am Brian Pern (GOLD)
    S2 Ep 2/3 To mark the very convoluted anniversary of the non-release of his unheard debut solo LP Brian Pern's Musical Version of The Day of the Triffids, the musician plans to stage the entire album live from the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro with a host of special guests. The groundbreaking show not only reveals the technical challenges of performing live music, but also the physical strains facing the ageing rock stars of Brian's generation. Spoof music documentary, starring Simon Day, Michael Kitchen, Paul Whitehouse and Nigel Havers, with cameo appearances by Roger Moore, Dan Snow and Tim Rice

Friday
    12pm Trailblazers - Conscience Songs (Sky Arts)

5pm Trailblazers - Heavy Metal (Sky Arts)

7.30pm BBC Proms 2018 (BBC4)
    Parry, Vaughan Williams and Holst Opera

8pm Discovering Music - Paul Weller (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Paul Weller (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Fleadh Cheoil (RTE1)

9pm Soundtracks - Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    A look at how songs like Billy Joel's New York State of Mind took on a new and heightened meaning following the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001

9.40pm & 3.05am Top Of The Pops 1971 (BBC4) New!
    Tony Blackburn presents a look back at some of the best performances from 1971, featuring George Harrison, New Seekers, the Rolling Stones, Diana Ross, Slade, Rod Stewart and Faces, Tams and T.Rex. First shown December 27 1971. According to TV Cream this is about half of the original show as the BBC taped over the rest of it. The repeat at five past three might be a wee bit longer.

10pm Dixie Chicks Live 2016 (Sky Arts)

10pm & 2.05am Mick Jagger - Whistle Test Special (BBC4) New!
    A 1985 edition in which David Hepworth interviews the Rolling Stones frontman about his career with the band and his solo work. Plus, film clips and videos spanning the musician's career. This hasn't been repeated since the original broadcast, apparently.

11pm BBC Proms - Pioneers of Sound (BBC4)
    From London's Royal Albert Hall, ground-breaking British composer Anna Meredith presents this tribute to the godmothers of electronica, the pioneers of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop. The celebration begins with music by Delia Derbyshire - most famously remembered for bringing the world the Doctor Who theme in its full electronic glory and finishes with the premiere of Daphne Oram's Still Point, pieced together from recently discovered archive material and performed by Shiva Feshareki on turntables. Music by artists including Laurie Spiegel, Chaines and Suzanne Ciani emphasise the power of this legacy, performed by the London Contemporary Orchestra under conductor Robert Ames. First shown on Monday

11.20pm Brian Pern (GOLD)
    As Thursday

Midnight Paul Simon Live at Hyde Park 2012 (Sky Arts)

12.20am The Rolling Stones at the BBC (BBC4)
    A selection of the band's performances from the BBC archives, in a programme originally broadcast in 2012 to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Songs include The Last Time, Let's Spend The Night Together, Get Off of My Cloud, Honky Tonk Women, Gimme Shelter, Miss You and Start Me Up. Plus, footage of the band performing 19th Nervous Breakdown on Top of the Pops in 1966, which was used in a 1960s BBC documentary about women with depression

12.40am Film: Kill Your Friends (Channel 4)
    A treacherous, cocaine-addicted record executive enjoys success at the height of the Britpop era, but as public tastes change, he finds himself floundering and desperate for a hit. He soon realises that the best way to stay on top is to eliminate his rivals by any means necessary. Drama based on John Niven's novel, starring Nicholas Hoult, Ed Skrein, James Corden and Rosanna Arquette. I didn't think much of it to be honest

1.05am Northern Soul - Living For The Weekend (BBC4)
    A look at the rise, fall and rebirth of the music and dance movement that took place across the north of England during the 1970s. Archive footage and vivid first-hand accounts reveal the dynamic culture of fashions, dance moves and musical obsessions that were all fuelled by a unique style of black American soul music based on heavy beats. With contributions by Richard Searling, Ian Levine, Colin Kurtis, Kev Roberts, Pete Waterman, Peter Stringfellow and others

1.15am Iggy Pop - American Valhalla (Sky Arts)
    Documentary following the recording of the rock musician's Post Pop Depression album in a secluded studio in the Californian desert with Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme. Repeat from last week.

3am Trailblazers - Heavy Metal (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    10am Trailblazers - Madchester (Sky Arts)

11am Trailblazers - Goth Rock (Sky Arts)

12pm Trailblazers - Pop Videos (Sky Arts)

4pm Sinatra - The Man and his Music (Sky Arts)
    1981 TV Concert

5.05pm Joan Baez Live in New York (Sky Arts)

7pm Soundtracks - Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    Ep 2, as Friday

7pm Ultimate Covers at the BBC (Yesterday)

8pm TOTP2 - Status Quo (Yesterday)

8pm Johnny Cash: Song by Song (Sky Arts)
    Ep1/6 I Walk The Line

8pm Dolly Parton: Song by Song (Sky Arts)
    Ep1/6 Coat Of Many Colors

9pm Mumford & Sons: Live From South Africa - Dust and Thunder (Sky Arts) New!
    A 2016 concert at the Monument Amphitheatre in Pretoria, featuring performances of songs including I Will Wait, The Cave and Little Lion Man

9pm Film:The Jazz Singer (1980) (True Entertainment)
    A Jewish cantor's son goes against his strict father's wishes and travels to Los Angeles in search of fame and fortune. Remake of the 1927 musical drama, starring Neil Diamond in the role originally played by Al Jolson, with Laurence Olivier, Lucie Arnaz and Catlin Adams. Considered so bad they devoted an episode of 'How Did This Get Made?' to it, with thanks to Ol' Donie for that info

9pm Reginald D Hunter's Songs Of The Border (BBC2) New!
    Against the backdrop of President Trump's planned construction of a wall between the two countries, the comedian takes a 2,000-mile musical road trip along the US-Mexico border. He explores how romance and reality play out musically, where third-world Mexico meets first-world USA on `the broken road to the American Dream'. It's on after Dad's Army so hopefully it will make it to air this time.

9pm TOTP2 - Duran Duran (Yesterday)

9.30pm TOTP2 - Wham! (Yesterday)

10.10pm Synth Britannia at the BBC (Yesterday)
    A showcase of 1970s and 80s synth music taken from the BBC archives. Popular acts in the genre include Roxy Music, New Order, Ultravox, Soft Cell, OMD, Yazoo and Depeche Mode

11pm Psychedelic Britannia (BBC4)
    The rise and fall of arguably the most visionary period in British music history, when between 1965 and 1970 a handful of dreamers re-imagined pop music. The psychedelic era produced some of the most ground-breaking music ever made, pioneered by young improvising bands like Soft Machine and Pink Floyd, then quickly taken to the charts by the likes of the Beatles, Procol Harum, Small Faces and Moody Blues. This film, narrated by Nigel Planer, features contributions and freshly shot performances from artists who lived and breathed the psych revolution

11pm Mumford & Sons - We Wrote This Yesterday (Sky Arts)
    Documentary following the collaborative processes during the band's 2016 tour of South Africa, when they teamed up with an esteemed collection of musical partners

Midnight Gershwin's Summertime - The Song The Conquered The World (BBC4)
    How George Gershwin and DuBose Heyward's song Summertime became a standard around the world. The film tells the story of its first appearance in the 1935 opera Porgy and Bess, charts how it has been reinterpreted by artists including Billie Holiday, Janis Joplin, Mahalia Jackson, Miles Davis and Ella Fitzgerald, and explores the many meanings that have been derived from it through the decades. Narrated by Pauline Black

12.15am Dixie Chicks Live 2016 (Sky Arts)

1am Mick Jagger - Whistle Test Special (BBC4)
    As Friday

2.15am Johnny Cash - A Legend In Concert (Sky Arts)
    A selection of early recordings by the country star, featuring performances of Five Feet High and Rising, I Got Stripes and Don't Take Your Guns to Town

Sunday
    7pm BBC Proms (BBC4)
    Rachmaninov and Beethoven

7.30pm Pat Shortt's Music From D'Telly (RTE1)
    Footage of concerts from Dublin's National Stadium in the 1970s, featuring Dolores Keane, Rita Coolidge and Glen Campbell, plus Lindisfarne at the Lisdoonvarna Folk festival

8pm Fleadh TV (TG4)
    Castlewellan Co. Down " Each show air from 2000hrs to 2130hrs, just in time to tune in to the Sunday Game" https://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/fleadhtv/

8pm Soundtracks - Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    They are getting plenty of mileage from this

9pm Coldplay - Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)
    2011 Concert

10.15pm The Killers Live at the Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)
    2009 Concert

11pm Film: Hendrix (2000) (True Movies)
    "A Confusing and Boring Mess" apparently http://wrongkidbiopics.tumblr.com/post/96754563267/hendrix-2000-hendrix-is-a-confusing-and-boring

12.15am Mumford & Sons: Live From South Africa - Dust and Thunder (Sky Arts)
    As Saturday

2.15am Heartworn Highways (Sky Arts)
    Documentary released in 1981 about the outlaw country music movement, including Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle, David Allan Coe, Rodney Crowell, Gamble Rogers and Steve Young

And that's about it, the BBC are working on a new Bowie Doc to compliment the previous two 'Five Years' programes - this one will focus on his early years. We won't see it until 2019 alas https://www.hotpress.com/music/new-david-bowie-documentary-in-the-works-for-bbc-22647748

The Best Vietnam film with someone singing Bird Is The Word over and over again of the week might be Full Metal Jacket (Wednesday, ITV4 10pm). Oasis filmed their video for D'You Know What I Mean? on the same set, apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pretty scandalous that some Mick Jagger repeat gets ahead of The Radiophonic Workshop in the schedule.

Ha ha, the Hendrix movie info mad me laugh out loud.

Weirdly, I'm tempted to watch because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Skid X wrote: »
    1.05am Northern Soul - Living For The Weekend (BBC4)

Good but not good enough to be repeated three bazillion times.
    2.15am Heartworn Highways (Sky Arts)
    Documentary released in 1981 about the outlaw country music movement, including Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle, David Allan Coe, Rodney Crowell, Gamble Rogers and Steve Young

Weird factoid dept: Sonic Youth drummer Steve Shelley was a big fan of Van Zandt and was producing a record with him at the time of his death.
    And that's about it, the BBC are working on a new Bowie Doc to compliment the previous two 'Five Years' programes - this one will focus on his early years. We won't see it until 2019 alas https://www.hotpress.com/music/new-david-bowie-documentary-in-the-works-for-bbc-22647748

Oh great, The Laughing Gnome and Love You Til Tuesday! Bowie couldn't get arrested in those days :p
    The Best Vietnam film with someone singing Bird Is The Word over and over again of the week might be Full Metal Jacket (Wednesday, ITV4 10pm). Oasis filmed their video for D'You Know What I Mean? on the same set, apparently

Never had an original idea in their heads, those lads... :rolleyes:

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Advertisement

I read that Creedon's Road Less Travelled (RTE1, Sunday 6.30pm) will feature a story about the time Meat Loaf gigged in Moate Community Centre.

This was in 1989 when he was in between Bat Out Of Hell Albums and couldn't get any work in America, so he hit the road and "undertook a ramshackle three and a half week tour of some of Ireland’s worst community centres, ballrooms, hotel function rooms and other assorted sheds suddenly deemed good enough to host rock royalty. Hell, he even turned up in a few fields."

https://twitter.com/RTEOne/status/1022187228787658752

There's a good write up of the infamous Moate Show here, which sounds like an homage to the time The Good Ol' Blues Brothers Boys Band played Bob's Country Bunker

http://ronancasey.ie/2011/08/one-more-thing-gets-thrown-up-on-stage-and-im-leaving/

Warning: Style Council music videos on Sky Arts!

*dives behind couch*

:O

The Bastard Proms ran late so they are cutting the TOTP 71 down to about 16 minutes

In the words of Ian Brown - Amateurs !

The Bastard Proms ran late so they are cutting the TOTP 71 down to about 16 minutes

In the words of Ian Brown - Amateurs !

Ah here. Mick can wait, birthday or no birthday yesterday.

A Slade song that I don't mind. Tell no one!

Excellent documentary about songs that defined history on Sky Arts, focusing on how the music world reacted after 9/11.

Although, I’m surprised this song wasn’t mentioned (became an ‘adopted’ anthem by the victims families)...

High time BBC Four showed ‘Cocksucker Blues’!

Which coincidentally, is also the title of Neil Sedaka’s new album.

Ayunjay!

Sports fans, beware The Mick Jagger Curse!

If he attends a game, the team he supports ALWAYS lose.

If I ever see him at a Wales Euro/World Cup Qualifier, I shall politely throw him outta the stadium.

Before pouting and strutting away, of course. :)

Sports fans, beware The Mick Jagger Curse!

If he attends a game, the team he supports ALWAYS lose.

If I ever see him at a Wales Euro/World Cup Qualifier, I shall politely throw him outta the stadium.

Before pouting and strutting away, of course. :)

True, He popped up at the Cricket in Malahide at the Test Match against Pakistan which we lost.

Thanks for coming Mick, you really shouldn't have ...

Screen-Shot-2018-05-14-at-09.00.57.png

• Advertisement

True, He popped up at the Cricket in Malahide at the Test Match against Pakistan which we lost.

Thanks for coming Mick, you really shouldn't have ...

Screen-Shot-2018-05-14-at-09.00.57.png

Of course, you Irish were gutted when he turned up at the England vs. Croatia game.

:pac:

I'm not a huge Stones fan but I do think he's the greatest frontman ever. I remember reading about how when he'd come off tour he'd still get this huge rush around 9pm/stage time every night for weeks after coming off tour.

Delia Derbyshire...under-appreciated in her lifetime, now regarded as one of the major pioneers in electronic music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

Actually that was a good point about Jazz being dumped by the 60's generation of kids yet rock'n'roll wasn't dumped and persisted through the 70's/80's and to this day. It's a valid point, much as I love 1950's John Coltrane/Ornette Coleman/Miles Davis/Charles Mingus.

This electronica looks interesting. Went to see Autechre in the NCH a couple of weeks ago which was utterly brilliant.

Lads, what channel are yous watching? I'm stuck with BBC Proms or the feckin Dixie Chicks.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Lads, what channel are yous watching? I'm stuck with BBC Proms or the feckin Dixie Chicks.

Proms :)

Proms :)

Feck, didn't even think to check. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Every time I hear "Dixie Chicks" I think "Chicks With..." :eek:

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

Every time I hear "Dixie Chicks" I think "Chicks With..." :eek:

Banjos?

• Advertisement

Don't mess with Texas.

That's what I always say.

Advertisement