Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The Subtitler prefers the Seven Ways To Love song to that Anthrax/Public Enemy wordfest

This Kim Appleby song was co-written by Ken from Bros, apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

It actually worked and Scott Ian got away with his segment because of his heavy NY accent. Chuck D would never have agreed if it was sub par - it's the Nu Metal rap that came 10 years later it almost tarnishes the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,616 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Ooh Gary Davies fat-shaming Heavy D :(

Now do ‘Silent Lucidity’!

• Advertisement

Play Billy and Kirstie !!

5.0 should be incorporated in to the Hall of American Culture it's so bad - just to keep some balance.

I predict a few more weeks for Jason at number one, pop-pickers? :)

Bah - is there anything to be said for cancelling the schedule an putting on some more Oscar Peterson, Ella Fitzgerald, Dizzy Gillespie and Count Basie as was done this time last week? Off to the football I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,881 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

For me, early autumn 1991 was spent counting down the days until the release of the second album from a little-known band who had graced our shores a month before, with me in attendance

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

Saw Doctors or Nirvana :D At least I fessed up to my period of shame :)

TOTP2 on Channel YESTERDAY (161 on SKY) @ 10.00 tonight.. Episode called 'Pop Stars' . Cliff, Rihanna, Madonna, Marc Bolan, David Cassidy and Bieber get a mention..

The heavy heavy monster sound on Sky Arts right now :)

*furious running-on-the-spot dancing, destroying all furniture within a two-metre radius*

Hello, lets have a look at whats going on this weekend

If there are anymore allegations about Bob Dylan Sky Arts might need to review their Saturday Schedule ...

Thursday

7pm BBC Proms 2021 - A Night At The Opera (BBC4)

Not the Queen Album

10pm Film Viva Las Vegas (BBC4)

Elvis is a Grand Prix Driver who has no engine in his car and also works as a waiter.

Possibly not based on a true story

12.15am Punk (Sky Arts)

Ep 1 of 4 (repeat) Iggy Pop narrates an exploration of the genre, starting with a look at how Detroit bands the Stooges and MC5 influenced the New York City scene of the early 1970s

1.30am Tori Amos Live In Concert (Sky Arts)

Friday

7pm BBC Proms 2021 - Nubya Garcia (BBC4)

7pm The Making Of Marc Bolan (Sky Arts)

7.30pm Abba's 30 Greatest Moments (Channel 5)

8pm Classic Albums: Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (Sky Arts)

8.45 Top Of The Pops - Big Hits 1989 (BBC4)

15 minute filler

9pm & 12.25am Top Of The Pops 1991 - July 11 (BBC4)

Bruno Brookes presents the edition first aired on July 11 1991, featuring performances by DJH featuring Stefy, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark and C&C Music Factory, Billy Bragg, Paula Abdul, Guns N' Roses, INXS, Bros, Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam, Bryan Adams and Cher

9pm Eric Clapton Live In Chicago 2007 (Sky Arts)

9.30pm & 1.55am Pride Hits At The BBC (BBC4)

A musical celebration for International Pride Month, with a collection of the BBC's archives' biggest stars, including Kylie, Elton John and Lady Gaga, along with once-controversial tracks such as Relax and Smalltown Boy

9.40pm The Heart Of Saturday Night (RTE1)

With Bell X1, Declan O'Rourke, Derek Ryan, Una Healy and Na Mooneys, as well as a number of special performances remembering John Prine. Una Healy and Loah present from the Round Room at the Mansion House in Dublin

10pm TOTP - The Story Of 1979 (BBC2)

10pm MTV Unplugged - Nirvana (MTV)

A rare enough chance to see Nirvana's 1993 MTV acoustic set

10pm-1am Guitar Heroes At The BBC (Yesterday)

10.30pm Kylie Minogue Live In Hyde Park (BBC Radio 2 Festival 2018)

10.55pm Eric Clapton - Planes, Trains And Eric (Sky Arts)

Doc following his 2014 World Tour

11pm MTV Unplugged - Liam Gallagher (MTV)

11.05pm Sruth - Meabh Smyth & Innes White (TG4)

11.30pm BBC One Sessions - Elton John (BBC4)

2006 TV gig

12.25am Singer Songwriters At The BBC (BBC4)

featuring Bob Dylan, Kate Bush, Gil Scott-Heron, Kris Kristofferson, Labi Siffre, Roy Harper, Janis Ian, Gilbert O'Sullivan and Michael Chapman, as well as a duet between Graham Nash and David Crosby

12.40am Suggs - My Life Story (Sky Arts)

Suggs thing which was on last week

12.55am Other Voices (RTE2)

Music show celebrating new talent from the IMRO Other Room in Dingle. Featuring performances from Junior Brother, A Smyth, Thumper and Anna Mieke

Saturday

6.05pm Eric Clapton Live In San Diego 2007 (Sky Arts)

8pm Classic Albums: The Doors - The Doors (Sky Arts)

9pm Bob Dylan - The Other Side Of The Mirror (Sky Arts)

Murray Lerner's film documenting Bob Dylan's appearances at the Newport Folk Festival in Rhode Island from 1963 to 1965, revealing a metamorphosis from folk prodigy to rock's fiercely confrontational poet

10.35pm Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary Concert (Sky Arts)

A performance from 1992 celebrating the singer's career, featuring the likes of Stevie Wonder, Lou Reed, Johnny Cash and Eric Clapton performing classic Dylan numbers

10.45pm Dale Barclay - All On Black (BBC Scotland)

The story of the Amazing Snakeheads frontman Dale Barclay, who died from brain cancer in 2018. Featuring interviews with Alex Kapranos, Laura Barclay, Vic Galloway and Lias Saoudi

11.55pm Film: The Drummer And The Keeper (RTE1)

A rock drummer is desperate to hide his bipolar diagnosis from his exasperated bandmates. But when he makes a grudging offer of friendship to an institutionalised teenager suffering from Asperger's syndrome, he suddenly finds his every step dogged by this dangerously tactless new disciple. Drama, starring Dermot Murphy and Jacob McCarthy

12.15am Peter Green - Man Of The World (BBC4)

The story of the blues performer, who found fame in the 1960s as lead guitarist with Fleetwood Mac, but left the public stage for years as he battled drug addiction and mental illness. Featuring archive footage and interviews with Noel Gallagher, Carlos Santana, Green's former bandmates and the musician himself

12.35am Chrissie Hynde Sings Bob Dylan - Tomorrow Is A Long Time (Sky Arts

Documentary exploring the Pretenders frontwoman's inspiration and creative process while recording 10 Bob Dylan covers to celebrate the singer-songwriter's 80th birthday

2.15am Anarchy On Thames (Sky Arts)

Documentary about Sex Pistols' infamous appearance Bill Grundy's TV show, featuring contributions by then bassist Glen Matlock, publicist Eric Hall and studio director Tony Billey

Sunday

5pm Don Henley - Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

6.20pm -9pm Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Live From Gatorville (Sky Arts)

2006 gig

7pm Sir Simon Rattle At The BBC (BBC4)

8pm BBC Proms 2021 - Simon Rattle (BBC4)

9pm -Midnight Classic Artists: The Moody Blues (Sky Arts)

Midnight Isle Of Wight Festival (Sky Arts)

Coldplay and Noel Gallagher

1am New Order - Decades (Sky Arts)

Documentary following the band's staging of their collaboration So It Goes with artist Liam Gillick during the 2017 Manchester International Festival

That's about it unless (you know yourself)

Bit rushed this week, heres an odd spotting of Bruno Mars being interviewed by Jonathan Ross when he was a 3 year old Elvis impersonator (Bruno, not Jonathan)

And here's a rare full episode of The Gay Byrne Music Show, the series he did after leaving the LLS where Gay tried his hand at being Jools Holland

Finally, sad news about Sean Lock this week, lots of his great clips doing the rounds but here's his vastly improved version of the Countdown Music

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

I know it's not that, but when I hear the start of that alternative Countdown music, I hear "As I was goin' over the Cork and Kerry mountains, I saw Captain Farrell. And his money he was countin'"

Nothing to do with today being Phil Lynott's birthday, I assure you.

Nubya Garcia putting in a stellar performance at the BBC Proms. That London really is going through a golden jazz age at the moment.

Good spot, it has that air definitely

Also, that new Phil Lynott Doc (Songs For While I'm Away) is on RTE1 on Wednesday at 9.35pm-11.45pm

While were at it - Dusty Hill was born two months before Philo.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,073 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'm enjoying The Great Film Composers on Sky Arts - airs Thursdays at 8pm.

Apparently, the studio were holding up release of High Noon as they weren't sure about it.

Composer Dimitri Tiomkin released the theme song "Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darling" as a single and it became a hit, drumming up interest in the film and "has been credited with saving the movie"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimitri_Tiomkin#High_Noon_(1952)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Actually have had that on in the background all evening, very pleasant listening and I'm not inclined to like Jazz.

FLOPPYTOPPYPOPPY!!

Wendy James, though.

The Bryan Adams reign of terror begins…

Looks like Lisa Stansfield has been doing all nighters

MC SKAT CAT OR G.T.F.O!!

DAD DANCING KLAXON!!

Things that make you go…

Axl’s cycling shorts!

• Advertisement

Bruno Brookes - The song is from Terminator 2 which you can see in the pictures in August.

Along with other great Ealing comedies from 1951 Bruno.

Advertisement