Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I like to think of Tallaght as the Texas of Ireland.

Y'know, like, you always hear about the state of Texas, and then you hear about the state of Tallaght. Must have a lot in common.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

23410984.jpg

Monterey Pop ‘67...best festival line-up ever?

The God Of Hellfire, Arthur Brown - absolute legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello, it's August so there isn't much new going on but there are some decent repeats and continuing series coming up. If you are into Rush then Sky Arts on Saturday is the place to be, More4 enters the game with Beatles and Rolling Stones showings on Saturday while the BBC is still plodding along with the Proms.

Thursday
    12pm Trailblazers - Pub Rock (Sky Arts)
    A fascinating musical journey examining the development of the back-to-basics movement that emerged in the south of England in the 1970s

5pm Trailblazers - Dance Music (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1986 - February 6th (BBC4)
    Simon Bates and Paul Jordan present the edition from February 6, featuring the Damned, Five Star, Ozzy Osbourne and Double

9.30pm Film: Straight Outta Compton (RTE2)
    Premiere. Biopic of hip hop group NWA, examining their rise to fame in the 1980s. The five members of the group drew inspiration from their anger at the dangerous world they saw around them, producing hard-hitting songs about urban life that redefined a musical genre. Starring O'Shea Jackson Jr, Corey Hawkins, Jason Mitchell, Neil Brown Jr and Aldis Hodge

12.15am Reginald D Hunter's Songs Of The Border (BBC2)
    Against the backdrop of President Trump's planned construction of a wall between the two countries, the comedian takes a 2,000-mile musical road trip along the US-Mexico border. He explores how romance and reality play out musically, where third-world Mexico meets first-world USA on `the broken road to the American Dream'. Postponed from Saturday 14th July

12.20am Brian Pern (GOLD)
    S2 Ep3/3 The musician records a charity record in aid of bi-polar polar bears, but there are conditions from his label about its content. He must make the album commercial, Christmassy and full of cutting-edge duets with big stars - none of which comes easy to him. Meanwhile, Brian's health problems also come to a head after he learns he has invested millions into an aggressive tax-avoidance scheme and HM Revenue & Customs wants its money back. Spoof music documentary, starring Simon Day, with Anna Maxwell Martin and Roger Allam

Friday
    12pm Trailblazers - Dance Music (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & 12.20am Top Of The Pops 1986 - February 13th (BBC4)
    Gary Davies and Steve Wright introduce performances by Belouis Some, Whitney Houston, Su Pollard, Shakin' Stevens and Billy Ocean. First shown February 13, 1986

8pm BBC Proms - Folk Prom (BBC4)
    Live from London's Royal Albert Hall, Julie Fowlis and Sam Lee introduce a celebration of the traditional music of the British Isles. The BBC Concert Orchestra, under conductor Stephen Bell, performs in collaboration with the two presenters, plus the Unthanks, Jarlath Henderson and ALAW. Fowlis is a torchbearer for her native Gaelic tradition, while singer-songwriter Lee is dedicated to collecting, restoring and sharing ancient music from Britain and Ireland. Jarlath Henderson hails from Co Tyrone and is a master of the uilleann pipes and whistles, trio ALAW have a passion for the traditional music of Wales, while the innovative approach of the Unthanks from Northumbria has won them fans across the musical spectrum

8pm Discovering Music -Meat Loaf (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Toyah Wilcox (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Fleadh Cheoil (RTE1)

9pm Soundtracks - Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    Ep 3/8 A look at how the politically driven songs of Neil Young and Buffalo Springfield took on new meaning following the Kent State massacre during anti-Vietnam War protests

10pm Legends Of The Canyon - The Origins Of West Coast Rock (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the musical legacy of Laurel Canyon, a Los Angeles neighbourhood home to musicians including Joni Mitchell, Buffalo Springfield and Crosby, Stills and Nash

10pm Doris Day - Virgin Territory (BBC4)
    Documentary about Actress and Singer Doris Day, which has been on loads of times. Not sure why it gets a Primetime slot tonight.

11pm BBC Proms 2018 - Havana Meets Kingston (BBC4)
    A Caribbean spirit pulses through this Late Night Prom from London's Royal Albert Hall, led by leading reggae and dancehall producer Mista Savona. Cuban and Jamaican musicians unite onstage in an evening of roots reggae, dub, dancehall, salsa, rumba and Afro-Cuban beats, with featured vocalists including Randy Valentine, Brenda Navarette and Solis

12.15am Mumford & Sons - We Wrote This Yesterday (Sky Arts)

12.50am Sings Musicals (BBC4)
    Memorable versions of songs taken from or inspired by musicals. The programme features Ella Fitzgerald singing Mack the Knife, from the Threepenny Opera, Captain Sensible's 1982 chart-topper Happy Talk, a cover of a song from South Pacific, and performances by Jeff Beck and Jay-Z

1.30am Coldplay - Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

1.50am How To Make A Number One Record (BBC4)
    Documentary studying what it takes to propel a single to number one. Featuring a look at those who have succeeded in topping the charts, and the effect it had on their lives, alongside an examination of the roles played by art, science, chance and manipulation in reaching the pinnacle of pop

2am Neil Diamond - One Night Only (ITV3)

2.45am California Dreamin' - The Songs Of The Mamas and The Papas (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the success of the Californian pop group, featuring performance and archive footage, and interviews with band members, including Mama Cass. The band provide accounts of the writing and recording process involved in the creation of their hit songs and how they personally dealt with instant fame and success

Saturday
    10am Trailblazers - New Romantics (Sky Arts)

11am Trailblazers - Pop Videos (Sky Arts)

4.30pm 50 Years of Peter, Paul and Mary (Sky Arts)

5.45pm California Dreamin' - The Songs Of The Mamas and The Papas (Sky Arts)

7pm Soundtracks - Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)

As Friday

7pm Easy Listening Hits at the BBC (Yesterday)

8pm Exotic Hits at the BBC (Yesterday)

8pm Johnny Cash: Song By Song Ep 2 - Ring Of Fire (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Dolly Parton: Song By Song Ep2 - Jolene (Sky Arts)

9pm The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years (More4)
    Director Ron Howard's documentary charting the period the Beatles spent on the road. Their first gigs with the classic line-up took place around Liverpool in 1961 and their last concert took place in San Francisco in 1966. During that brief span, they helped to forge a global pop culture. This film incorporates restored footage from the live shows, starting in Manchester in 1963, and includes several of the songs in their entirety. Contributors include Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Elvis Costello, Richard Curtis, Whoopi Goldberg, Eddie Izzard, Howard Goodall and Malcolm Gladwell

9pm TOTP2 - Genesis (Yesterday)

9pm Rush: Time Stand Still (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary about Canadian rock band Rush and their unique relationship with fans, set against the backdrop of the group's 40th anniversary tour in 2015
    http://www.rushtimestandstill.com/

10pm Stiff at the BBC (Yesterday)
    Conclusion of a two-part documentary featuring Top of the Pops appearances by artists associated with Stiff Records, including Madness, Ian Dury, the Pogues, Lene Lovich and Jona Lewie

11pm-2am Rush: Time Machine Live in Cleveland (Sky Arts)
    A concert by the Canadian rock band at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio, during their 2011 Time Machine tour

11.10pm The Rolling Stones: Ole Ole Ole! A Trip across Latin America (More4)
    Documentary following the Rolling Stones' tour in early 2016 through 10 Latin American cities. The film combines their electrifying live performances from across the tour and from the historic tour finale as the first-ever rock band to perform in Havana, providing an intimate insight into the world of the veteran group

11.25pm & 3.25am Top Of The Pops 1986 - February 6th (BBC4)
    As Thursday

11.55pm Top Of The Pops 1986 - February 13th (BBC4)
    As Friday

12.25am Jazz Divas Gold (BBC4)
    A selection of archive performances by acclaimed female jazz artists from shows including Not So Much a Programme - More a Way of Life, Morecambe and Wise, Parkinson and Show of the Week. Featuring Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, Blossom Dearie, Nina Simone, Cleo Laine, Marion Montgomery, Betty Carter, Sarah Vaughan, Eartha Kitt and Amy Winehouse

Sunday
    10am Trailblazers - Pub Rock (Sky Arts)

11am Trailblazers - Dance Music (Sky Arts)

7pm BBC Proms (BBC4)
    Beethoven and Brahms

7.30pm Pat Shortt's Music From D'Telly (RTE1)
    Musical performances from rural Ireland, featuring Dervish and Planxty. Plus, a 1981 John Denver concert in Co Cork and the enduring appeal of Fleadh Cheoil

9pm - 1am The Beach Boys: An American Family (Parts 1& 2) (True Entertainment)
    Janice:d on Rotten Tomatoes says "Best. TV. Movie. EVERRRRR!!!!! WITH BEACH BOYS MUSIC TOO AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Pardon my hysteria :)" although she then gives it a mere 3 and a half stars out of five, which seems harsh https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_beach_boys_an_american_family?

8pm Soundtracks - Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    Same again

9pm Emerson, Lake and Palmer Live at the Isle of Wight (Sky Arts)
    A performance by prog rock outfit Emerson, Lake & Palmer at the 1970 festival, with songs including The Barbarian and Rondo

10pm Hup (TG4)
    Showcase of traditional music from Tigh Roy, in Co Tipperary, featuring performances by Roy Galvin, Bobby Gardiner and Ailbe Grace

10.30pm Gentraí (TG4)
    Traditional music from Teach Murray in Gorteen, Co Sligo. Featuring Seamus O'Donnell, Declan Folan, Andrew & Junior Davey, Peter Horan, Jarlet and Kevin McTiernan

That's more or less that, if you have seen anything else going on then please do let us know.

The Weirdest Burt Bacharch Theme Song for a Camp Horror Film Of The Week might be The Blob from The Blob Movie written by Burt and performed by The Five Blobs (The Horror Channel, Thursday 1pm).Hard to believe it didn't trouble the UK Top 75 ... http://www.bacharachonline.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6318&hilit=the+blob

"Beware of The Blob, it creeps
    And leaps and glides and slides Across the floor,
    Right through the door, And all around the wall, A splotch, a blotch, Be careful of The Blob"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

10.30pm Gentraí (TG4)
    Traditional music from Teach Murray in Gorteen, Co Sligo. Featuring Seamus O'Donnell, Declan Folan, Andrew & Junior Davey, Peter Horan, Jarlet and Kevin McTiernan

THanks as always Skid.

That must have been a while ago as Kevin McTernan (Proper spelling. Not having a go. I'm guessing you copied and pasted it.) is dead about 10 years. His son Jarlath is a good friend of mine. I'll let him know this is on. He lives in Belfast now but I think he can get TG4 up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Neil Diamond - One Night Only

Thanks be to fcuk :p :pac:

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

RUSH - excellent excellent band.

Double neck heaven right here:

sligojoek wrote: »
    THanks as always Skid.

That must have been a while ago as Kevin McTernan (Proper spelling. Not having a go. I'm guessing you copied and pasted it.) is dead about 10 years. His son Jarlath is a good friend of mine. I'll let him know this is on. He lives in Belfast now but I think he can get TG4 up there.

Fair play, Joe yeah they must be using the original listings for that one.

It should go up on the TG4 player, the previous episodes in the series are there

It says here "Can I view programmes outside of Ireland?

Most of our Irish language content is available worldwide, but in some cases content rights are restricted to Ireland only or not al all. Icons on the listings page denote where rights are available for." so hopefully your friend would be able to get it on catch up

https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/irish-music-series/

My opinions on Five Star have mellowed since I called in to ask them a question on ‘Going Live’.

Tito’s my favourite.

• Advertisement

OZZY :D

Wearing one of Joan Collins’ nightgowns :O

You know you’re in trouble when Simon Bates criticises your wardrobe :D

Clan-‘nad’ with ‘Boh’-No at Number 26 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Skid X wrote: »
    Fair play, Joe yeah they must be using the original listings for that one.

It should go up on the TG4 player, the previous episodes in the series are there

It says here "Can I view programmes outside of Ireland?

Most of our Irish language content is available worldwide, but in some cases content rights are restricted to Ireland only or not al all. Icons on the listings page denote where rights are available for." so hopefully your friend would be able to get it on catch up

https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/irish-music-series/

I was in touch with Jarlath. His mother has it on VHS. They've seen it a thousand times.

After a few minutes talking we realised I've a camcorder tape recorded in 2009, shortly after Kevin was diagnosed with cancer, (We're heading into Joe Duffy territory here,) Kevin playing the flute with a few members of Dervish, Seamie O Dowd and a few others. I must find a way of converting that stuff to MP4 . The man was a genius on the flute and Jarlath on uilleann pipes.

Jeez there's some good stuff on this weekend. Nice one as usual, Skid.

I'll be watching BBC 4 at 11 tonight and The Beatles at 9 tomorrow. Excellent.

‘Burning Heart’ by Survivor!

Gotta have a montage! :D

Carlton from ‘The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air’ on sax.

Do the dance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

If you're at a loose end, there's a repeat of Rhod Gilbert's work experience on BBC2 now. 'Classical musician'. Saw it during the week, it's worth a look. Not sure WM can see it tonight though (maybe iPlayer)

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    If you're at a loose end, there's a repeat of Rhod Gilbert's work experience on BBC2 now. 'Classical musician'. Saw it during the week, it's worth a look. Not sure WM can see it tonight though (maybe iPlayer)

Want to see that. Enjoy that show.

But I'm on the proms here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

‘Burning Heart’ by Survivor!

Gotta have a montage! :D

'Seems our freedom's up against the ropes'

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Beware of The Blob, it creeps
    And leaps and glides and slides Across the floor,
    Right through the door, And all around the wall, A splotch, a blotch, Be careful of The Blob"

The feature fim debut of some young lad called Steven McQueen...

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

Pfft.

2 mins in it's all Ringo this, Ringo that.

Change the record.

It's interesting that The Beatles first number 1, Please Please Me and Bruce Springsteen's almighty Thunder Road were both written (15-20 odd years apart) directly after Lennon & Bruce had been listening to Roy Orbison, and decided to try to write something that good.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Pfft.

2 mins in it's all Ringo this, Ringo that.

Change the record.

If The Beatles had stuck with Pete Best they might have achieved something.

The DVD of this Beatles thing is sitting on my shelf saying "You could look at me anytime, and I've got extra features but no - you watch it everytime it's on television instead. Sulk. "

I've always said George has sexy eyelashes.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I've always said George has sexy eyelashes.

MV5BMTUyNjE0NzAzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjQzMzU3._V1_UY317_CR34,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

;)

‘Eight Days A Week’ is great documentary...my only gripe is to why they ‘colourised’ the footage, such as the JFK Airport press conference and the Washington show in the boxing ring.

Whoy? :confused:

• Advertisement

If The Beatles had stuck with Pete Best they might have achieved something.

Why, only yesterday I was in the Magical History Museum In Mathew Street looking at Roag Best’s exhibition!

https://www.artscityliverpool.com/single-post/2018/07/20/Magical-History-Museum-is-latest-Liverpool-Beatles-attraction?_amp_

Lots of extremely rare memorabilia from the Casbah Coffee Club and beyond :)

Advertisement