Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It's interesting that The Beatles first number 1, Please Please Me and Bruce Springsteen's almighty Thunder Road were both written (15-20 odd years apart) directly after Lennon & Bruce had been listening to Roy Orbison, and decided to try to write something that good.

To be honest, I never copped that in Thunder Road before now. Interesting.

Must give it a proper listen soon.

Both The Beatles and Springsteen cite a wide range of influences, which has probably been a partial reason for their enduring longevities. There's so much variety you don't know what is coming next.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Skid X wrote: »
    To be honest, I never copped that in Thunder Road before now. Interesting.

Must give it a proper listen soon.

Both The Beatles and Springsteen cite a wide range of influences, which has probably been a partial reason for their enduring longevities. There's so much variety you don't know what is coming next.

Apart from him mentioning Roy Obison singing for the lonely, I was just reading Bruce's book the other day which actually spelled it out.

Why, only yesterday I was in the Magical History Museum In Mathew Street looking at Roag Best’s exhibition!

https://www.artscityliverpool.com/single-post/2018/07/20/Magical-History-Museum-is-latest-Liverpool-Beatles-attraction?_amp_

Lots of extremely rare memorabilia from the Casbah Coffee Club and beyond :)

I'd give my right eye to play in the Casbah (assuming the experience is like it is in my head).

I have been known, in my weaker moments, not to be 100% positive about sitar music.

Why, only yesterday I was in the Magical History Museum In Mathew Street looking at Roag Best’s exhibition!

https://www.artscityliverpool.com/single-post/2018/07/20/Magical-History-Museum-is-latest-Liverpool-Beatles-attraction?_amp_

Lots of extremely rare memorabilia from the Casbah Coffee Club and beyond :)

Nice one WM, that looks good. If The Grapes is open again in Mathew Street I could drop in for a shandy afterwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I'd give my right eye to play in the Casbah (assuming the experience is like it is in my head).

Seems bizarre now to think that Mona Best opened a nightclub in the basement of essentially a typical residential house in the suburbs, miles from the city centre...damn teenagers with their skiffle and coffee!

Anyhoo, speaking of Liverpool beat groups, I’m in the studio right now with the Lightning Seeds recording our Irish Women’s Hockey Song!

This bandwagon can do at least 50mph :D

Nice one WM, that looks good. If The Grapes is open again in Mathew Street I could drop in for a shandy afterwards!

They opted not to exhibit the bed where Neil Aspinall and Mona... :O

There was a time where Pete Best resembled Harry Enfield’s scouser :D

Seems bizarre now to think that Mona Best opened a nightclub in the basement of essentially a typical residential house in the suburbs, miles from the city centre...damn teenagers with their skiffle and coffee!

Anyhoo, speaking of Liverpool beat groups, I’m in the studio right now with the Lightning Seeds recording our Irish Women’s Hockey Song!

This bandwagon can do at least 50mph :D

What are yis calling yourselves?

New Kids On The Hock(ey)?

An extract from an interview with Pete Best, talking to Pat Kenny on Kenny Live in 1996. The Casbah and Hamburg are mentioned.

Decent enough interview, to be fair. If Tubs had done it would be "You were sacked from the Beatles, how can you sleep? How miserable is your life now?" etc

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0112/759561-pete-best-ex-beatles-drummer/

What are yis calling yourselves?

New Kids On The Hock(ey)?

Well, with Ayeisha McFerran and her goalkeeping heroics, I’d have thought she contacted her cousin Bobby to record a new version of ‘Don’t Worry, Be Happy’.

:cool:

• Advertisement

I went to see the Sgt Pepper's 50th anniversary show with the Bootleg Beatles in the Bord Gais place a few months back (last year?).

It was very realistic, they all looked bored out of their minds and dying to be anywhere else.

Don't Let Me Down is one of the best songs ever.

I went to see the Sgt Pepper's 50th anniversary show with the Bootleg Beatles in the Bord Gais place a few months back (last year?).

It was very realistic, they all looked bored out of their minds and dying to be anywhere else.

Did they employ a bootleg Billy Preston to ease the tension?

:pac: :D

Did they employ a bootleg Billy Preston to ease the tension?

:pac: :D

:D:D:D

Brilliant!

Well, with Ayeisha McFerran and her goalkeeping heroics, I’d have thought she contacted her cousin Bobby to record a new version of ‘Don’t Worry, Be Happy’.

:cool:

:D

Bravo

What'll I watch now?

Might grab the old Anthology dvds. That series quite literally changed my life.

Next up The Stones in Latin America?

I might be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, but it looks to me like More 4 have seen Skid's listings here and are trying to muscle in on the thread.

I met Gay Byrne years ago and he said I was "a very pleasant young man"

That's as near as I have got to meeting a Beatle

Damn hippies on BBC Four.

I loved Woodstock, but the queue in the beer tent was quite long.

Damn hippies on BBC Four.

I loved Woodstock, but the queue in the beer tent was quite long.

Waynestock was much better.

• Advertisement

Hippies are gas.

Although I agree largely with their values, as they call them in this, but still...shut yer holes you dirty layabouts.

Next up The Stones in Latin America?

I might be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, but it looks to me like More 4 have seen Skid's listings here and are trying to muscle in on the thread.

I wholeheartedly embrace More4's newfound interest in this kind of thing.

Man cannot live on BBC4's TOTP repeats alone.

Doo-bleh?

Doo-blay?

Double?

Just how do you pronounce their name?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dobly.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

Emerson, Lake And Palmer’s 1970 Isle of Wight performance on Sky Arts right now!

Hilariously over the top :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Just got the last 10 mins of this last night. Next week they're featuring Pat McManus' of Mama's Boys.
    CEOL ON CHLANN
    Muintir Shannon The series celebrating families involved in traditional Irish music returns, featuring siblings Gary, Majella, Sharon and Mary Shannon from Co Clare. The programme examines how music was an integral part of their childhood, and how they have helped to spread the popularity of traditional songs around the world

Hi there, there's a mix of Oasis, Tom Waits, Amy Winehouse, Rush, Elvis, Fleadh Cheoil, Carole King and Mama's Boys going on this weekend. And lots more too ...

Thursday
    12pm Classic Albums - Iron Maiden: Number of The Beast (Sky Arts)

5pm Classic Albums - Elton John: Goodbye Yellowbrick Road (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1986 - February 20th 1986 (BBC4)

Janice Long and Mike Read introduce music by Paul Hardcastle, Diana Ross, Depeche Mode, Survivor, Public Image Ltd, Billy Ocean and the Damned. First shown February 20, 1986

8pm Music Videos That Shaped the 80s (Sky Arts)
    A look at how the introduction of music videos in the 1980s affected the industry, with contributions by Bob Geldof, Herbie Hancock, Roger Taylor and Richie Sambora, and directors David Mallet, Russell Mulcahy and Kevin Godley

10pm Ar Thoir an Cheoil (TG4)
    Documentary exploring the musical influences behind new band Caladh Nua, who are forging a fresh path in traditional Irish music and have been lauded for their exciting live performances, musical imagination and flair

Friday
    12pm Classic Albums - Elton John: Goodbye Yellowbrick Road (Sky Arts)

5pm Classic Albums - Lou Reed: Transformer (Sky Arts)

7.30pm BBC Proms (BBC4)
    Brahms Requiem introduced by Rev Richard Coles who used to be in The Communards

8pm Discovering Music - Cher (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Madonna (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Fleadh Cheoil (RTE1)

9pm Soundtracks: Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    Ep 4/8 A look at how artists including U2 and Kanye West joined New Orleans musicians in concerts to help ensure the city's rich traditions survived in the wake of Hurricane Katrina

9.15pm & 3.15am TOTP2 - Seventies Special (BBC4)
    A`then and now' special featuring 1970s pop stars as they are now. Including archive footage of performances by Donny Osmond, Alice Cooper, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and David Cassidy

10pm & 2.15am Elvis - The Rebirth of The King (BBC4)
    When Elvis Presley began performing in Las Vegas in 1969, many believed that was the end of his career, especially after the excitement of his '68 Comeback Special. This documentary follows his time in the gambling capital and argues that it was a musical renaissance for the King, who reached his peak as both as a singer and performer - jumpsuits and all
    Youtube commenter Lynn Jones says "that was one of the best programs concerning Elvis I have ever seen." It's here in full.

10pm The Big Beat: Fats Domino and The Birth of Rock and Roll (Sky Arts)
    Documentary tracing how American pianist and singer-songwriter Fats Domino's brand of New Orleans rhythm and blues morphed into rock 'n' roll, appealing to black and white audiences alike. The Wire and Treme star Clarke Peters narrates
    Trailer

11pm BBC Proms (BBC4)
    At London's Royal Albert Hall, an eclectic mix of musicians with rich New York roots join conductor Jules Buckley and the Heritage Orchestra to celebrate the changing soundscape of the Big Apple. New York City-based MC Nitty Scott, folk indie rocker Sharon Van Etten, nu-disco dance project Hercules & Love Affair and progressive pop artist Serpentwithfeet take the audience from pagan-gospel and disco-punk to feminist rap and DIY indie in one of this season's most distinctive Proms. Recorded Wednesday 8 August

11.55pm Rush: Time Stand Still (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about Canadian rock band Rush and their unique relationship with fans, set against the backdrop of the group's 40th anniversary tour in 2015

12.20am Great American Rock Anthems: Turn It Up To 11 (BBC4)
    Huey Morgan presents the story of some of the greatest US rock anthems that emerged during the 1970s, 80s and 90s. A distinct sound evolved from blues and early metal, featuring loud drums, distinct guitar riffs and catchy lyrics, which produced a storm of feel-good tunes. The film focuses on tracks including Alice Cooper's School's Out, Don't Stop Believin' by Journey, Eye of the Tiger by Survivor, Bon Jovi's Livin' on a Prayer and Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. With contributions by Dave Grohl, Toto, Foreigner and more

12.45am Who Killed Whitney Houston? - The Autopsy (TV3)

1.15am Tom Waits - Tales From A Cracked Jukebox (BBC4)
    Profile of the influential and inventive singer-songwriter, whose work encompasses a mixture of musical styles, from blues to Weimar cabaret. The programme incorporates rare archive recordings and interviews, and features contributions from Terry Gilliam, Ian Rankin and Ute Lemper
    The full show was deleted from Youtube, but here's a clip featured in the Doc taken from the Late Late Show. Gay Byrne interviews Tom's wife and is straight in with the usual question "How Irish are you?"

1.55am Emerson, Lake and Palmer Live at The Isle Of Wight (Sky Arts)

3.25am Heartworn Highways Revisited (Sky Arts)
    Sequel to the 1981 documentary focusing on the next generation of country musicians whose lives and music were influenced by the likes of Townes Van Zandt and Steve Earle

Saturday
    ** Oasis Night on Sky Arts** **All repeats**
    9pm There We Were - Now Here We Are: The Making Of Oasis
    Dick Carruthers charts the rise of the rockers, from their earliest rehearsals in Manchester to the release of their debut album. Featuring interviews with the original band members and key players in their journey to stardom, including Noel and Liam Gallagher and Creation label boss Alan McGee. This was made in 2004

10.15pm Oasis: Live By The Sea
    A 1995 concert by the band at Southend Cliffs Pavilion, performing hits including Rock 'n' Roll Star, Some Might Say, Live Forever and Supersonic

11.30pm Liam Gallagher Live in New York

12.45am Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds at Hurricane Festival 2015

1.50am Blur/Oasis - The Britpop Years
    The battle between the two bands for dominance in the era, focusing on when Blur's single Country House went up against Oasis's Roll With It for the number one spot in the charts

The Rest of Saturday
    10am Classic Albums - U2: The Joshua Tree (Sky Arts)

11am Classic Albums - Phil Collins: Face Value (Sky Arts)

1pm-5pm The Beach Boys: An American Family (True Entertainment)
    TV Mini Series

5pm-9pm Elvis - The Early Years (True Entertainment)
    TV Mini Series starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers

5.10pm CMA Music Festival - Country's Night to Rock (Sky Arts)
    Thomas Rhett and Kelsea Ballerini host this special from Nashville, featuring performances by country superstars including Garth Brooks, Keith Urban and Lady Antebellum

7pm-9pm Guitar Heroes at the BBC (Yesterday)
    Carlos Santana, Mark Knopfler, Peter Green and the Edge, and acoustic material by John Martyn, John Renbourn, Bert Jansch and Paco Pena. Followed by Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townshend, Peter Green and Johnny Winter. Other artists featured include Manitas de Plata, Ry Cooder, Thin Lizzy and AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac and The Jam

7.05pm Soundtracks - Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

8pm Johnny Cash Song By Song - Jackson (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Dolly Parton Song By Song - I Will Always Love You (Sky Arts)

9pm Film:Amy (2015) (More 4)
    Documentary portrait of soul, jazz and R'n'B singer-songwriter Amy Winehouse, whose untimely death in July 2011 followed a well-publicised history of drugs and alcohol abuse. Director Asif Kapadia traces Amy's rise and demise over the 13 years preceding her death, telling her story via her music and autobiographical song lyrics, video footage shot by friends and family, archive television clips, plus voiceover interviews with those who were personally and professionally close to her. Contributors include Pete Doherty, Mitch Winehouse, Tony Bennett, Mark Ronson and Tyler James

9pm Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop (Yesterday)
    Documentary looking back over the band's long career, from the early blues outfit led by Peter Green in the late 1960s, to their reincarnation in the 1970s with the line-up that went on to record the 40-million-selling album Rumours. Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks all contribute

10pm Sings Elvis (Yesterday)
    Compilation of cover versions of Elvis Presley hits, originally shown in 2010 - the year that would have been his 75th birthday. Artists featured include Cliff Richard, John Cale, Paul McCartney and Tom Jones, and Carl Perkins and Mac Davis perform songs they wrote but which Elvis made famous

10.25pm Top Of The Pops 1986 - February 20th 1986 (BBC4)
    As Thursday

10.55pm Dusty Springfield at the BBC (BBC4)

11.55pm You've Got a Friend - The Carole King Story (BBC4)
    The award-winning US singer gives an account of her life, looking back on her upbringing in Brooklyn, and the subsequent success she enjoyed as part of husband-and-wife songwriting team Goffin and King in the 1960s, including the creation of global hits Take Good Care of My Baby, The Locomotion and Will You Love Me Tomorrow. By 1970, Carole was divorced and had moved to Los Angeles, where she created her classic solo album Tapestry. Now in her seventies, she reveals herself to be as much an environmental activist as a musician, lobbying Congress in defence of the wildlife and eco-systems in her beloved Idaho

12.55am Easy Listening Hits at the BBC (BBC4)
    Archive performances by some of the best-known easy-listening musicians of the 1960s and 70s, including Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66, Burt Bacharach, the Carpenters and Andy Williams

1am In His Life - The John Lennon Story (True Entertainment)
    Biopic of the singer who formed one half of the most successful and celebrated songwriting partnership of modern times. The film charts the musician's youth in Liverpool and his rise to fame with the Beatles, a group which redefined popular music during the 1960s, before recalling his solo career and tragic death outside his home in Manhattan. Starring Philip McQuillan, Blair Brown, Daniel McGowan and Jamie Glover "This is a helluva little movie. Yeah, it's so much better than 'Backbeat" 10/10. Not my words, that's a review from Dadumdill on imdb.com

Sunday
    10am Classic Albums: Lou Reed - Transformer (Sky Arts)

11am Classic Albums: Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast (Sky Arts)

11am Film Sunshine on Leith (Film4)

Proclaimers Musical. Decent

12pm Classic Albums: Elton John - Goodbye Yellowbrick Road (Sky Arts)

7pm BBC Proms (BBC4)
    Ligetti, Debussi and Mussorgsky. Hurrah,

7.30pm Pat Shortt's Music From D'Telly (RTE1)
    A selection of country music performances from the RTÉ archives, featuring Tom McBride, Jimmy Buckey, Roly Daniels and John Prine

8pm Soundtracks - Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

9pm Come Together - The Rise Of The Festival (Sky Arts)
    Documentary examining the evolution of the music festival, from Newport, Monterey Pop, Woodstock and Isle of Wight in the 1960s to modern events such as Glastonbury and Coachella

9.30pm Ceol an Chlann (TG4)
    The story of rock band Mama's Boys, revealing how Pat, John and Tommy McManus,. the three brothers who make up the group, were inspired by their family's background in traditional music, but ultimately decided to switch to a harder sound

10pm Hup (TG4)
    Music from the Kerry town of Castleisland, featuring performances from accordion player Paudie O'Connor, fiddler Aoife Ni Chaoimh, Nicky McAuliffe and Anne McAuliffe

10.30pm Lost in Vagueness (TG4)
    The story of Glastonbury's former anarchic after-hours party area Lost Vagueness, featuring contributions by Fatboy Slim, Suggs, Keith Allen and Kate Tempest

10.30pm Geantrai (TG4)
    Traditional music from Beck Dowling Pub in Ashbourne, Co Meath, featuring Antoin Mac Gabhann, The O'Grady family, Roger Sherlock, Joe Ryan and Colm O Mealoid

11.07pm Breag agus Cairde (TG4)
    Reggae band Breag play a 20th anniversary show in Belfast and are joined by acts who have performed with them over the years, including Alabama 3, Kila and John Spillane. The eclectic mix of music includes new and old favourites such as I Woke Up This Morning, Tog É Go Bog É, Passage West and An Bothar Mor

1.20am The Stones in The Park (Sky Arts)
    The Rolling Stones' 1969 Hyde Park concert dedicated to the memory of the band's guitarist Brian Jones, who had died two days previously

1.30am Arena: American Epic - A Big Bang (BBC4)
    The first of three programmes exploring roots music in the US, beginning with the birth of country music and urban blues in the 1920s. As record sales rose in the early days of radio, companies began exploring rural areas in search of new artists. The programme features early recordings by Appalachian country music pioneers the Carter Family and Will Shade and The Memphis Jug Band, whose music prefigured modern rap and RnB. Narrated by Robert Redford

2.20am Sting - A Free Man (Sky Arts)
    Features Will.I.Am, for some reason

... and that's more or less that. Nice to see More4 getting in on the act. News this week that Nile Rodgers will be giving an extended interview to Brendan O'Connor on RTE1 in a few weeks. Can't wait to hear him reveal how he didn't get into Studio 54 on New Year's Eve. Again.

The Best History Channel Documentary featuring a member of The Happy Mondays investigating Extra Terrestrial Activity of the week might be Shaun Ryder on UFOs (Blaze, Thursday 3pm) And that's just the first programme, they made 8 episodes of this ...

As usual, many thanks Skid X. Hope all the regulars are having a wonderful Summer and getting your supply of Vitamin D for the winter months (that's an impossibility btw but it sounds good :D)

I watched a great documentary about Roy Orbison compiled by his sons a few weeks ago- well worth watching out for if repeated. Think it was SKY Arts but maybe Skid X can narrow it down/correct me.

As usual, many thanks Skid X. Hope all the regulars are having a wonderful Summer and getting your supply of Vitamin D for the winter months (that's an impossibility btw but it sounds good :D)

I watched a great documentary about Roy Orbison compiled by his sons a few weeks ago- well worth watching out for if repeated. Think it was SKY Arts but maybe Skid X can narrow it down/correct me.

Alright there Plenty, nice one hope you are well - I watched a few Beach Boys shows recently that's enough sunshine for me!

Yeah I remember that Roy Orbison one, it was excellent I think it was on BBC4 (and RTE1), hopefully it will get another airing soon

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/dec/16/roy-orbison-love-hurts-review-enough-tragedy-to-fill-several-lifetimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

7.30pm BBC Proms (BBC4)
    Brahms Requiem introduced by Rev Richard Coles who used to be in The Communards

FFS, is he ever off the TV??? :p

9pm Film:Amy (2015) (More 4)

Essential viewing.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

Advertisement