Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Just watched the Happy Mondays vs. Pulp ‘Bargain Hunt’ special!
    The mis-shapes, mistakes, misfits win again! It helps of course that the other team cheat by getting their girlfriends to bid on the items they bought!

I watched Soft Cell on Jools this weekend.

"Interesting" is how I'd describe it. I think voice wise and look's wise (which I hate talking about TBH, but in this case, it is very much 80's pop where "look" reigns supreme) - I don't think they carried it off. And voice wasn't great either.

I'd like to say they did, but no. I don't think so.

Regulars or others- feel free to disagree, lambaste me, do what you want- I'm v. interested in your views either way.

I watched Soft Cell on Jools this weekend.

"Interesting" is how I'd describe it. I think voice wise and look's wise (which I hate talking about TBH, but in this case, it is very much 80's pop where "look" reigns supreme) - I don't think they carried it off. And voice wasn't great either.

I'd like to say they did, but no. I don't think so.

Regulars or others- feel free to disagree, lambaste me, do what you want- I'm v. interested in your views either way.

As we speak, Soft Cell are playing their last ever show at the O2 in London. Granted, Marc Almond’s voice ain’t what it used to be, but he is 61 years old.

I’m more surprised that he didn’t dress in his usual ‘flamboyant’ style, just a jacket and jeans!

Just watched ‘The Story Of Common People’ - whilst I agree it was one of the most important songs of the era, it is not a patch on ‘I Spy’ (also from ‘Different Class’) - definitely their finest hour, Jarvis has never sounded so angry.

Up there with Blur’s ‘This Is A Low’ as one of Britpop’s few high points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Just watched ‘The Story Of Common People’ - whilst I agree it was one of the most important songs of the era, it is not a patch on ‘I Spy’ (also from ‘Different Class’) - definitely their finest hour, Jarvis has never sounded so angry.

Up there with Blur’s ‘This Is A Low’ as one of Britpop’s few high points.
    First time hearing either of these - interesting...on my radar now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I just came across a channel on FTA called CLTV. There's a good docu about Johnny Cash on at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

sligojoek wrote: »
    I just came across a channel on FTA called CLTV. There's a good docu about Johnny Cash on at the minute.

CLTV has had some great stuff on over the past couple of weeks.

Holy Diver wrote: »
    CLTV has had some great stuff on over the past couple of weeks.

I had a look through the EPG. They have vintage/music docus between 9 and midnight every evening. The resolution is low but it's better than watching sh1te in HD,. Tomorrow night it's spike Milligan, U2-War, Bob Marley and Queen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Nile Rodgers watch: he seems to on that Sunday morning cooking yoke with Tim Lovejoy.

Cooking yolks? Can I have the eggwhites for myself please?

Get it?

Jokes/jolks aside, he's a living legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hi, I can't see any listings for this CLTV so if anyone sees anything decent coming up please let us know
    sligojoek wrote:
    better than watching sh1te in HD
    They should definitely use that as their tagline "This is CLTV - better than watching sh1te in HD" :P

Elsewhere, there's nothing really new of note this week. Sky Arts has an evening of old John Lennon shows as his Birthday is next Tuesday (Channel 4 are working on a Lennon Doc due to arrive before the year end https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/john-lennon-yoko-ono-imagine-above-us-only-sky-documentary-1202931788/)

TG4 has a very good interview with Johnny Rotten, his parents spoke Irish at home. More Johnny Rotten and less Peig Sayers, that'll get the kids speaking more Irish ...

Thursday
    7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1986 - May 29th (BBC4)
    John Peel and Janice Long present the May 29 edition, featuring Doctor and the Medics, Robert Palmer, the Real Thing, Tears for Fears, Pete Wylie, Spitting Image and Peter Gabriel

8pm Meat Loaf Live with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra 2004 (Sky Arts)

12.30am EMI - The Inside Story (BBC4)
    A profile of the record company behind whose success lay a very British institution, often at odds with the music it released. EMI had to come to terms with psychedelia, face punk head on and find huge sums of money to feed the excesses of the 1980s. Artists reveal how their demands for more control led to drastic changes at the company, while its former employees recall life in an industry famous for its extravagance. Contributors include Neil Tennant, Glen Matlock, Roger Taylor and Nick Mason

12.30am TOTP2 Christmas Special (GOLD)
    Ah here

1.45am The Art Of Drumming (Sky Arts)
    Ep 3/4 Repeat

Friday
    7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1986 - June 5th (1984)
    Simon Bates and Gary Davies introduce performances by Cashflow, Simply Red, Pet Shop Boys, Doctor and the Medics, Genesis, Nu Shooz and Jaki Graham.

8pm & 1.30am Gregory Porter's Popular Voices (BBC4)
    Truth Tellers The soul and jazz performer examines how early 20th-century blues growlers, such as Bessie Smith, paved the way for the rhyme and flow of hip-hop, how truth became a quest of rock 'n' roll's greatest poets from Woody Guthrie to Gil Scott-Heron, to Lou Reed and Suzanne Vega, and why popular voices including Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Kurt Cobain don't have to be technically perfect to resonate so deeply and stir people's souls. Contributors include Dave Grohl, Suzanne Vega and KRS-One. Last in the series

8pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Paul Weller (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Music Icons - Cream (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Cosain Cheoil (RTE1)
    Ep 2/6

9pm Brendan Bowyer - An Scéal (TG4)
    The musician talks frankly about his life - including his family, alcohol, how the death of band member Tom Dunphy had a devastating effect on him. He also chats about the break up of the Royal Showband, explains why he divides his time between Las Vegas and Ireland, and performs some of his best known songs

9pm MTV presents Gibraltar Calling (MTV)
    Live event featuring Years & Years, Charli XCX and Bastille

9pm & 2.30am Rock n Roll America (BBC4)
    Ep 1/3 Sweet Little Sixteen Documentary examining the most important era in the history of popular music - the birth of rock 'n' roll. The opening programme focuses on the origins of the sound in 1950s America when the rhythm-driven mix of blues, boogie woogie and vocal harmony was nurtured by small independent record labels and championed by young music pioneers such as Fats Domino and Little Richard. This episode also looks at the start of Elvis Presley's career in Memphis and examines the impact the film industry had on the rock movement. Contributors include Tom Jones, Jerry Lee Lewis and Don Everly

9pm & 12.45am The Art Of Drumming (Sky Arts)
    Ep4/4 Steve White takes a look at 20 of the greatest drummers of all time, chosen by musicians including Clem Burke, Ian Paice, Bill Ward and Fay Milton. Last in the series

10pm Can You Feel It - How Dance Music Conquered The World (BBC4)
    Ep 3/3 The DJ How DJs moved from invisibility to centre-stage and celebrity, becoming the highest-paid stars in today's music industry and influencing the music modern society listens to. The programme follows Greg Wilson demonstrating the novel act of mixing two records on a 1980s edition of The Tube, through Ibiza vibe-pioneer Alfredo, to Paul Oakenfold's legendary sets at acid-house night Spectrum. Contributors include Pete Tong, Fabio, David Guetta, Steve Aoki, Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk, Black Madonna, Moby and Midland. Narrated by Rosalind Eleazar. Last in the series

10.15pm Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day (Sky Arts)
    The band's one-off reunion performance at London's O2 in 2007 as part of a benefit concert to commemorate the life of Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun. Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones were joined by former member John Bonham's son Jason on drums as the group played a selection of songs from their back catalogue, including Whole Lotta Love, Kashmir, Dazed and Confused and Black Dog

11pm People's History Of Pop (BBC4)
    1955-1965, The Birth of the Fan Twiggy celebrates the decade from 1955, when the pop music fan was born, hearing from fans of the era. The stories uncovered include a young Lonnie Donegan admirer inviting the singer back to a friend's house where they enjoyed an impromptu skiffle jam, and a schoolgirl's whose dream came true when the Beatles turned up at the pub where her mother was a waitress. Plus, the experiences of those lucky to attend a recording of legendary music show Ready, Steady, Go!

11.30pm Guth - John Lydon (TG4)
    The life of John Lydon, who grew up in an Irish community in north London after his parents emigrated from Ireland in the 1950s. During an era of growing unemployment, he embarked on a career as singer Johnny Rotten with punk-rock band the Sex Pistols in the mid-1970s
    I thought this was good, it's also available in full here https://vimeo.com/74461992

12.30am Promises & Lies - The Story of UB40 (BBC4)
    One of the most successful pop acts of all time, UB40 enjoyed huge success, selling over 70 million records with hits including Red Red Wine, Can't Help Falling in Love and I Got You Babe. However, fame came at a price and the band members found themselves victims of their own success - as well as penniless. This documentary features interviews with Ali Campbell, Robin Campbell, Astro, Brian Travers, Mickey Virtue and Jimmy Brown, as they recall their rise to fame and an ongoing dispute that has split a family and a band, as they continue to tour as at least two separate groups

2am Lenny Kravitz - Just Let Go Live (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    John Lennon Night on Sky Arts
    6.25pm John Lennon Live in New York
    A benefit concert by Lennon and his wife Yoko Ono staged in Madison Square Garden on August 30, 1972, in aid of children with developmental disabilities. Featuring performances of Instant Karma!, Mother, Cold Turkey, Give Peace a Chance and Imagine, as well as Beatles classic Come Together and a cover of Hound Dog

7.40pm Gimme Some Truth: John Lennon
    Documentary following the former Beatles star and his wife Yoko Ono as they recorded the album Imagine at their Ascot estate in 1971

9pm John Lennon - Imagine
    Unique footage of the recording of the classic 1971 album, filmed in England, and the subsequent promotional tour to the USA and Japan

10.15pm The US v John Lennon
    Film-makers David Leaf and John Scheinfeld trace John Lennon's journey from his years in the Beatles to anti-war activist and icon, revealing the story of why the US government tried to silence him

The Rest:
    9.30am The South Bank Show Originals - Dr John (Sky Arts)
    2001 interview with Dr John. He's the lad who sings after Shane MacGowan in Perfect Day, and pronounces it as Poifect

3.40pm Come Together: The Rise Of The Festival (Sky Arts)
    Documentary examining the evolution of the music festival, from Newport, Monterey Pop, Woodstock and Isle of Wight in the 1960s to modern events such as Glastonbury and Coachella

5.10pm Jimi Hendrix: American Landing (Sky Arts)
    Documentary

7pm TOTP Big Hits 1964-1975 (Yesterday)

9pm-11pm TOTP2: The 60s (Yesterday)

11.35pm Later ... With Jools Holland (BBC2)
    Muse perform songs from their upcoming release Simulation Theory and Southampton-born Laurel makes her first appearance on the show, with music from her full-length debut Dogviolet. New Orleans-based R&B and funk musician Jon Cleary plays a couple of selections from his new Dyna-mite album, and Iceland-based singer John Grant performs tracks from his upcoming fourth album Love Is Magic. Completing the line-up are two debut appearances, from Leicester's Easy Life and 19-year-old R&B soul singer Hamzaa

11.45pm I'm Not In Love: The Story of 10CC (BBC4)
    Graham Gouldman, Eric Stewart, Kevin Godley and Lol Creme share the secrets to some of their most successful records, from the writing and the recording, to the tours and the tensions

12.45am Top Of The Pops 1986 - May 29th (BBC4)
    As Thursday

1.15am Top Of The Pops 1986 - June 5th (BBC4)
    As Friday

1.20am Rock and Roll - Truth (Sky Arts)
    An exploration of the search for truth and authenticity in rock 'n' roll, featuring music and interviews with artists including Henry Rollins, Bob Dylan and Mark Knopfler

2.50am Beat Beat Beat - Cat Stevens (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    5pm Meat Loaf Live with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (Sky Arts)

7pm Elvis and the Girl from Vienna (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about Elvis Presley's former secretary Trude Forsher, who reveals the inside story of the singer's journey to becoming a global superstar

8pm Johnny Cash - Behind Prison Walls (Sky Arts)
    Recording of the country star's concert at the Tennessee State Prison, Nashville, in 1977

9pm Beach Boys - Good Vibrations Tour (Sky Arts)
    A recording from Anaheim Stadium in 1976, in which the five original Beach Boys perform hits including Surfin' USA, It's OK and Good Vibrations

10pm Sounds of Tucson (Sky Arts)
    Howe Gelb, Joey Burns and other local performers take the audience through a musical exploration across Tuscon in Arizona which welcomes diverse genres of music.

10.30pm Bosca Ceoil (TG4)
    Irish-music show, presented by Pauline Scanlon. The first edition features performances by Buttons & Bows, We Banjo 3, Tin Sandwich Band, Edel Fox and Neill Byrne, and Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh and Tony Byrne

12.20am John Lennon - Imagine (Sky Arts)
    As Saturday

1.35am Anarchy on Thames (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about Sex Pistols' infamous appearance Bill Grundy's TV show, featuring contributions by then bassist Glen Matlock, publicist Eric Hall and studio director Tony Billey

2.05am Rock and Roll - Anger (Sky Arts)
    Ice-T, Rage Against the Machine, Kasabian, Beth Ditto, Henry Rollins and Public Enemy's Chuck D are among the artists offering their views on anger within music and how rage and rebellion helped shape the genre

Netflix has recently added Quincy, a documentary about Quincy Jones, the acclaimed Producer

Not to be confused with Quincy ME, the 70s drama about the investigating pathologist, with continues weekdays at 1.50pm on ITV4

One show I didn't mention up above was Andre Previn at the BBC (Sunday Night, BBC4 1.35am) which promises "German-American conductor and composer Andre Previn looks back at some of his greatest television moments. Chosen clips include thrilling performances of orchestral favourites by Mozart and Berlioz", but I would love it if they showed his finest hour, namely his Morecambe and Wise Sketch

"I'm playing all the right notes ... but not necessarily in the right order" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Skid X wrote: »
    Thursday
    7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1986 - May 29th (BBC4)
    John Peel and Janice Long present the May 29 edition, featuring Doctor and the Medics, Robert Palmer, the Real Thing, Tears for Fears, Pete Wylie, Spitting Image and Peter Gabriel

This, of course, was the episode in which Peely threatened to break wind in our kitchens and called Robert Palmer's song "a díckhead in love", among other spiky comments.

How many of these will we hear tonight? :D

Ah yeah!

The Doctor will see you now :D

Although I do question his medical background. :pac:

The Singer from The Real Thing's dog once won the top prize at Crufts.

I’d have donated £1 million to Sport Aid just to stop Midge and Bob clowning around in the video!

Sinful is a proper tune.

Nice Lichtenstein guitar :)

(Resists the urge to make a joke about scousers and musical instrument theft)

They should bring back ‘Spitting Image’ :)

No spin-off records though :D

The kids these days don't know how lucky they have it with their Internet and their Ceefax.

Back in the day we got into fights in school arguing about what the lyrics to the Chicken Song were because nobody had taped Spitting Image the night and our local radio station wouldn't play the song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Skid X wrote: »
    Ceefax.

Posho.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Advertisement

Posho.
    :eek: Retro! :pac::p

Just recording the EMI thing before hitting the sack. I wonder will they namecheck Rory Cowan. He never fails to give them a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

FYI Red bull tv has live festival coverage from Austin city limits all weekend. The Coronas Hozier David Byrne get a run out tonight, Metallica Highly Suspect and others on over the weekend, it's a great line up!

mollser wrote: »
    FYI Red bull tv has live festival coverage from Austin city limits all weekend. The Coronas Hozier David Byrne get a run out tonight, Metallica Highly Suspect and others on over the weekend, it's a great line up!
    Thanks. Looking at their website https://www.redbull.com/int-en/tv/live/AP-1V8ZT9YVW1W11/austin-city-limits-music-festival suggests a stream will start at 8pm(?)...I'll find out if that's the case, and if my crappy Three mobile internet service will let me see it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

mollser wrote: »
    That's a decent looking festival. Friday night and I'm on holiday in the Balearics making sure I can get a stream going for Sky Arts and BBC4. I think I have a music problem.

Simply Red - undisputed kings of sophistipop in the late 80’s.

:pac:

Dammit...all of the days to officially change my name by deed poll to Lovebug Starski, I find out somebody has already taken that name.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Van Hagar. A great band :)

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Van Hagar. A great band :)

Not as good as Van Cherone :pac:

• Advertisement

Even in a hideous peach rugby shirt, Gary Davies still looks swoonsome.

Advertisement