Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Not as good as Van Cherone :pac:

Gerr outta here...

Sammy is a great frontman :)

Skid X wrote: »
    The kids these days don't know how lucky they have it with their Internet and their Ceefax.

Back in the day we got into fights in school arguing about what the lyrics to the Chicken Song were because nobody had taped Spitting Image the night and our local radio station wouldn't play the song.

Lovely article from 2005 pre-positioning the advent and challenges of recording boxes:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/new-method-of-recording-tv-programmes-could-change-the-face-of-television-1.430264

And a bit more retro here back in 1990, calling out the new VCR Plus feature

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-11-25/news/tv-7308_1_tv-times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Gerr outta here...

Sammy is a great frontman :)

No one compares to Roth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

The kids these days don't know how lucky they have it with their Internet and their Ceefax.

Back in the day we got into fights in school arguing about what the lyrics to the Chicken Song were because nobody had taped Spitting Image the night and our local radio station wouldn't play the song.
    Why's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Why's that?

They didn't have it.

That's what they claimed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

This, of course, was the episode in which Peely threatened to break wind in our kitchens and called Robert Palmer's song "a díckhead in love", among other spiky comments.

How many of these will we hear tonight? :D

Just saw this episode tonight, it had been previewed earlier in the year when there was a program on about TOTP 1986.
    Janice Long hated Addicted to Love video because it was so sexist and John Peel said a dickhead in love for her. Was wondering if they'd show it or cut it.

However the very next song is Pete Wylie doing Sinful with 3 attractive women dressed in ancient nun uniforms with a slit up the side and fish net stocking but because he's from Liverpool and a friend of Peel's he gets a pass, bit hypocritical of him to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

What's a ceefax I can't seem to find it in the app store :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Poor old Coronas played to about 85 people there, a good chunk of them in Irish rugby tops! Fair dues lads, great to be out there!
    How this fockin eejit on now Cuco has a massive crowd I'll never know. Nursery rhyme stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

Part four of the drumming documentary topped off a great four part series. Going to check out Chris Dave, looks like an incredible musician. Buddy Rich given the number one spot :)

BBC4 going superstar DJ again, Paul van Dyk and Tiesto. Ugh, totally hate party dance. Brain dead McDonalds electro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Greta Van Fleet fully living in the 70's great stuff lads!

• Advertisement

There's so much more to electronic music than those dickhead DJ's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Feck - just woke up to discover I accidentally fell asleep in my chair and missed half David Byrne's measly schedueled 15min at Austin City Limits :o

ETA: Thought it was supposed to start at midnight, but now see 11pm - so I missed over an hour:confused::(

Someone tie his sunglasses on :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Roanmore wrote: »
    Just saw this episode tonight, it had been previewed earlier in the year when there was a program on about TOTP 1986.
    Janice Long hated Addicted to Love video because it was so sexist and John Peel said a dickhead in love for her. Was wondering if they'd show it or cut it.

In the Story of 1985 they showed the clip where Gary Davies said that Dixie Peach had "a better suntan than me", and both Gary and Dixie seemed quite happy to talk about it.

Yet when they repeated the episode in question, they edited out this comment...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

dasdog wrote: »
    There's so much more to electronic music than those dickhead DJ's.

The series wasn't bad, but the new stuff with residencies in Vegas for crazy money, and all the other tacky premiership footballer type bling is so far away from the late 80s early 90s scene in Western Europe. Pity that it didn't mention, if I recall correctly, the Prodigy, the Shamen or the KLF as huge players in 90s old skool.

I guess that was the point made at the end, that there are still down to earth DJs with a genuine feel for the music. It's not all bling and tat.

I guess that was the point made at the end, that there are still down to earth DJs with a genuine feel for the music. It's not all bling and tat.

Yep, it wasn't bad and the end was refreshing compared to what immediately preceded it. The whole VIP thing goes completely against the roots. There's supposedly an underground warehouse squat scene in London becoming popular presumably because of entry costs and venues shutting down with gentrification. The kids will find a way, every generation does.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Pity that it didn't mention, if I recall correctly, the Prodigy, the Shamen or the KLF as huge players in 90s old skool.

No mention of Scatman John either - taking dance music in strange and interesting directions in the 90’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

No mention of Scatman John either - taking dance music in strange and interesting directions in the 90’s.

Sure he took it all the way to his own world, I seem to recall.

Flight Of The Conchords: Live In London!

Tomorrow night on Sky Atlantic at 9pm :)

Foux Du Fafa :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Hi, I can't see any listings for this CLTV so if anyone sees anything decent coming up please let us know

They should definitely use that as their tagline "This is CLTV - better than watching sh1te in HD" :P

Just had a quick look before heading out.

Tonight from 10.00 Floyd, Free and Foreigner. Each an hour long.

Monday three hours of Rainbow. (I love Ritchie) followed by "Sabbath, in their own words".

Correction: It's on at 10. I came home from a lovely warm pub to watch it. I could have had another pint.
    I set it to record Floyd and am going back for 2 more. Then come home and watch take the pi$$ out of Ray Darcy

"My name is Luca
    I live on the second floor
    I live upstairs from you
    Yes I think you've seen me before..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Marlene On The Wall is a far better song, but Luca is the one that gets played all the time.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

"Yes, I think it's okay, but I walked into the door again..."

Inner City Pressure! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

Heard two interesting bits of David Bowie news on BBC 6 Music this morning:

Firstly, BBC Four are going to broadcast an hour of highlights from his Glastonbury set in 2000. Apparently, there was only 30 minutes ever broadcast of his two hour headline set (no reason why given, presumably the Beeb didn't have such extensive coverage in those days with only One and Two in existence?) and it's rated as one of the best sets of all time, according to some review they quoted. In fairness, they read out the setlist and it was just one great tune after another - best of luck to whoever has to choose which 50% makes it to air! No definite transmission date was given, just sometime later this year.

They also announced details of a brand new documentary entitled "The First Five Years", which will deal with his transformation from David Jones to Ziggy Stardust. They played a clip from it which was the comments an early Bowie group received when they auditioned from the Beeb. Funny hearing them now after what he went on to achieve.... Again, no definite transmission date was given, just "sometime in 2019".

BandMember wrote: »
    Heard two interesting bits of David Bowie news on BBC 6 Music this morning:

Firstly, BBC Four are going to broadcast an hour of highlights from his Glastonbury set in 2000. Apparently, there was only 30 minutes ever broadcast of his two hour headline set (no reason why given, presumably the Beeb didn't have such extensive coverage in those days with only One and Two in existence?) and it's rated as one of the best sets of all time, according to some review they quoted. In fairness, they read out the setlist and it was just one great tune after another - best of luck to whoever has to choose which 50% makes it to air! No definite transmission date was given, just sometime later this year.

They also announced details of a brand new documentary entitled "The First Five Years", which will deal with his transformation from David Jones to Ziggy Stardust. They played a clip from it which was the comments an early Bowie group received when they auditioned from the Beeb. Funny hearing them now after what he went on to achieve.... Again, no definite transmission date was given, just "sometime in 2019".
    What fool was I not to have made an effort to go to a concert of his when I was old enough to have the money to do so, but thinking his later music was not, on average, as interesting as the early stuff - looking back at them on YouTube I realised his live performances always had a good mix and were full of interesting & fun touches & reworkings :( Curse you, callow youth (and early middle age) :o

Saw the Point gig he did in 2004 I think? One of his last live performances :(

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

Saw the Point gig he did in 2004 I think? One of his last live performances :(
    His BBC audition report, reproduced at https://www.nme.com/news/music/bbc-announce-new-documentary-david-bowie-first-five-years-2387667 gives us all hope...:pac:
    463291.jpg

No wonder the guitarist chucked it in to play snooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Loopy , so he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Echo and the Bunnymen on Later with Jools now. Mac the Mouth looking and sounding as moody and evocative as of old...

Advertisement