Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Having a look-in now at the Jools Holland repeat to see what The Bunnymen are up to now, I was wondering who the first act were [headed by the ghost of Gerry Ryan, gone thin? :eek:] thinking it was a potentially interesting sound...then realised it was The Bunnymen. I like when that happens - I hear and react to a piece of music before I know the artist. I hate to first hear the much-anticipated new release from X knowing it's X, if that makes sense, as happened with e.g. Bowie's late releases - I'll never have a true sense of my first reaction.

Jaysus, third Bunnymen song channeling Doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

BandMember wrote: »
    I finally caught the Urban Myths show about Band Aid - I really enjoyed it! :D Now, clearly, a lot of it is either made up and/or embellishing the real story but it was obviously based on real events..........albeit very loosely.

Was there ever any decent documentary or book written about what happened behind on the scenes on the day itself? It would definitely be worth a look/read if there is!

Geldof's own autobiography Is That It covered Live Aid. At the time that I read it, he was a bit of a hero. Not sure that I could stomach it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Not a bad lineup on later today

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Villagers in fine voice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

@Skid - thanks for the heads up on that Live Aid doc, will definitely be giving it a look. While I was posting I was thinking "I bet that Skid will know of something....." :D

@AndrewJRenko - Geldof never was nor never will be a hero of mine. Can't stand the pr*ck! The history of Live Aid and what went on backstage during the day itself is something that I wondered about...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hi there - this weekend sees a Doc about Sam Cooke on Sky Arts which seems to be mainly about his death. Poor Sam.
    BBC4 has the Other Two from New Order picking their influential videos, which looks cheap but enjoyable.
    Lots of old reliable repeats going on, as always, including a splendid Glen Campbell Doc on BBC4 ...

Thursday
    10pm Pop Goes Northern Ireland (BBC2 NI) New!
    Series 4 Ep 1A look back at the key events of 1970, when the `honeymoon period' the army enjoyed with the Catholic community began to sour as sectarian tensions rose. Including music hits of the time

11pm Urban Myths - Johnny Cash and the Ostrich (Sky Arts)
    The tale of the country star's run-in with an ostrich in a Nottingham hotel, much to the surprise of manager Jean. Comedy written by and starring Frank Skinner, with Isy Suttie

11.30pm Urban Myths - Alice Cooper and Salvador Dali (Sky Arts)
    Shock rocker Alice Cooper and Spanish artist Salvador Dali spend a weird weekend in 1970s New York City. Comedy, starring Noel Fielding and David Suchet, with Paul Kaye

12.25am Tom Jones at the BBC (BBC4)
    A celebration of the singer's performances, from the start of his career in the 1960s to his appearance on Later with Jools Holland just before he celebrated his 70th birthday in 2010. The programme includes archive footage of the Welshman's appearances on The Dusty Springfield Show and Top of the Pops

1.25am Classic Albums: The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (BBC4)

2am The Barry White Story: Let The Music Play (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the singer's life and career, looking at his childhood, his time in prison and his life-changing decision to go into music

3am Toots & The Maytals: From The Roots (Sky Arts)
    The story of Jamaican musician Frederick `Toots' Hibbert, who helped define reggae and ska with his band the Maytals. Featuring performance and backstage footage of the group

Friday
    6am Beyond Nashville (BBC Red Button, repeated on loop until 7pm)
    Why has Country Music seen extraordinary success in the UK charts this year? Scott Mills explores how the genre has changed and grown on both sides of the pond

4.45pm Elvis '56 Special (Sky Arts)
    Documentary capturing the sights and sounds of a pivotal year in Elvis Presley's journey to become the king of rock 'n' roll, featuring rare footage, photos and recordings

7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1986 - July 10th (BBC4)
    Simon Bates and Bruno Brookes introduce performances by Midnight Star, the Real Roxanne, Owen Paul, Rod Stewart, Bananarama and Madonna

8pm & 1.30am Our Musical History (Synth and Beyond) (BBC4)
    Stephen Morris and Gillian Gilbert have been married for 24 years and been in New Order together for even longer, but they still manage to surprise one another with their musical tastes. While Stephen declares Captain Beefheart an early influence, Gillian confesses her teenage love for a disco classic. Amidst an hour of top tunes, Stephen also reveals the moment he was mistaken for Stevie Wonder and Gillian recalls how her father was a fan of punk. From Kraftwerk to Can, David Bowie to Kate Bush, Magazine to Grace Jones and many more, their stellar playlist is brimming with iconic performances

8pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Aretha Franklin (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Music Icons - Aretha Franklin (Sky Arts)

9pm & 2.30am Rock n Roll America (BBC4)

Ep 3/3 Be My Baby Examining the era between Buddy Holly's death in early 1959 and the Beatles landing at JFK in spring 1964, when rock 'n' roll seemingly calmed down, went uptown and got spun into teen pop. The genre fuelled the Motown sound in Detroit and sound-tracked guitar instrumental groups on the west coast, such as the Ventures and Beach Boys, as it helped birth increasingly polished pop sounds across the States. Contributors include Jerry Lee Lewis, Ben E King and Chubby Checker. Last in the series

9pm Lady You Shot Me - Life and Death of Sam Cooke (Sky Arts) New!
    A look at the circumstances surrounding the violent death of the American soul singer, including theories that it was self-defence, or a robbery that spiralled out of control

10pm Synth Britannia at the BBC (BBC4)
    A showcase of 1970s and 80s synth music taken from the BBC archives. Popular acts in the genre include Roxy Music, New Order, Ultravox, Soft Cell, OMD, Yazoo and Depeche Mode

11pm Peoples History of Pop (1964-1975) (BBC4)
    Tribal Gatherings Pauline Black looks at the years 1976 to 1985, when music got involved in passionate protest and the high street filled with colourful factions of music lovers.

11pm Soundtracks: Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    Ep 1 Repeat of the documentary exploring the music tied to iconic moments in history, featuring rare archival footage and interviews with a host of famous faces from film and music. This was a very good series made by CNN, well worth a look.

11.35pm Guth - Oasis (TG4)
    The family history of Oasis duo Noel and Liam Gallagher, who were born and raised in Manchester to Irish parents Peggy Sweeney and Tommy Gallagher. Originally from Charlestown in Co Mayo, Peggy left Ireland in the early 1960s and travelled to the north-west of England where she met and married Tommy from Duleek in Co Meath

11.55pm Marvin Gaye - What's Going On? (Sky Arts)
    A profile of the soul singer, songwriter and producer, who helped shape the sound of Motown in the 1960s and released a string of classic albums in the 1970s

12.30am Sound of Song (BBC4)
    Ep 1/3 The Recording Revolution Composer and musician Neil Brand investigates how songs were recorded for the first time, the listening revolution that followed and the crooner style of singing brought about by the arrival of the microphone.

1.15am Soul Power! (Sky Arts)
    Ep 3/4

2.10am Mali Blues (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    6.55am Classic Quadrophenia (Sky Arts)
    From London's Royal Albert Hall, Pete Townshend, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor Robert Ziegler and a host of guests, including Alfie Boe, put a classical spin on the Who's 1973 album Quadrophenia

9.30 The South Bank Show Originals - Talking Heads (Sky Arts)
    Melvyn Bragg revisits a 1979 edition of the arts programme featuring Talking Heads, with footage of the band as they worked on their album Fear of Music

11am Discovering Music - Johnny Cash (Sky Arts)

3.55pm Elvis '56 Special (Sky Arts)

7pm Guitar Heroes at the BBC (Yesterday)

7.10pm BB King - The Life Of Riley (Sky Arts)
    "All in all this is a well rounded documentary, what shines through most is his humility, something for which certain musicians are not exactly renowned. 8/10" says a_baron on imdb.

8.15pm Opry An Iuir - Jim Reeves Special (TG4)
    Not featuring Jim Reeves himself (He died in 1964, to be fair) but it does have Daniel O'Donnell, Al Grant, Tony Kerr, Patrick Feeney and Matt Leavy

9pm Mr Dynamite - The Rise Of James Brown (Sky Arts)
    "Loads of awesome footage and great music that chronicles everything up to his moustache period with some emphasis on his faults, but also heaps of praise on his activism, message, and of course badass dancing and singing. Makes you want to get up and dance yourself! 9/10" says jellopuke on imdb, a man who clearly doesn't give 10/10 very often

9pm Stiff at the BBC (Yesterday)
    Part 2 of The Stiff Records compilation

10pm Prog at the BBC (Yesterday)

11pm Top Of The Pops 1986 - July 10th (BBC4)
    As Friday

11.15pm James Brown Live At Montreux 1981 (Sky Arts)

11.30pm Later ... with Jools Holland (BBC2)
    Paul Weller is joined by a string quartet to perform a track from his recent album True Meanings and there are also performances by Norwegian pop star Sigrid, London-based singer-songwriter Jacob Banks, Dublin indie band Villagers and American blues-rock guitarist Joe Bonamassa

11.30pm Glen Campbell: The Rhinestone Cowboy (BBC4)
    An insight into the life of country music star Glen Campbell, documenting his remarkable journey from an impoverished childhood to worldwide fame and success as a guitarist and singer with records including Wichita Lineman and Rhinestone Cowboy. Featuring contributions by family, friends and colleagues including Jimmy Webb, Micky Dolenz and Bob Harris

11.45pm Na Casaidigh Beo (TG4)
    Two generations of Na Casaidigh bring their unique arrangement of traditional music and song and original material recorded at Oireachtas na Gaeilge

12.30am Hello Quo (BBC4)
    Documentary examining rock band Status Quo's five-decade history, including interviews with the band, concert footage and rarely seen archive material, as well as a look at the 2012 reunion of the original line-up, performing together for the first time in more than 30 years. With contributions by Paul Weller, Brian May, Noddy Holder, Cliff Richard and Jeff Lynne

12.35am Discovering Music - James Brown (Sky Arts)

1.05am Film Ray (2004) (Sky Arts)
    The Ray Charles film with Jamie Foxx which was also on last week

2.35am Film A Star is Born (RTE1)
    A talented rock star's career begins to wind down as he drifts into cynicism and hits the bottle. However, an encounter with a promising singer proves inspirational and he helps nurture her career. But as she climbs the road to stardom, he goes into an even greater decline. Remake of the musical, starring Barbra Streisand, Kris Kristofferson, Paul Mazursky, Gary Busey and Marta Heflin. There is a remake of this remake out now

3.50am Beat Beat Beat ... The Tremeloes (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    1.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Aretha Franklin (Sky Arts)

2pm Legends of Opera - Monserrat Caballe (Sky Arts)

5.55pm Sinatra - The Man And his Music (Sky Arts)

1981 TV Special

8pm Alicia Keys Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Junior Eurovision (TG4)

The winner gets to go to Minsk for the final
    https://eurovoix.com/2018/06/14/ireland-tg4-launches-junior-eurovision-2018-selection-process/
    https://www.lonelyplanet.com/belarus/minsk

9.30pm Se Mo Laoch - Matt Molloy (TG4)
    Profile of flute player Matt Molloy, who is considered one of the most influential traditional Irish musicians of all time. A man on the trailer who I don't recognise says "When God made Molloy, he broke the mould".

10pm Diana Ross Live In Central Park 1983 (Sky Arts)

10.30pm Bosca Ceoil (TG4)
    Frankie Gavin and De Dannan light up the main stage, and there are performances by Seamie O'Dowd, Buille, Damien O'Kane Trio with Niamh Dunne and Sean Og Graham, and Fidil. Presented by Pauline Scanlon

11.50pm Lady You Shot Me - Life And Death Of Sam Cooke (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

1.50am Soul Power (Sky Arts)
    Ep 4/4

2.50am The South Bank Show Originals (Sky Arts)
    Melvyn Bragg reflects on an old South Bank Show where he looked at the rise and influence of Hip Hop. No better man for the auld Hip Hop than Melvyn.

Well, its varied if nothing else.

This month is the 50th anniversary of Van Morrison's Astral Weeks, and RTE Radio have a new Doc about it which you can stream or download here https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2018/1004/1001009-the-summer-of-astral-weeks/

Following on from that Sam Cooke Shooting Doc up above, new on Netflix is "Remastered: Who Shot the Sherrif?", about the killing of Bob Marley.

Busy weekend for fans of the Music Shootings Documentary genre, so.

The Best Ken Barlow song of the week which may or may not feature in Ken and Me (Virgin Media 1, Thursday Night 12.05am) might be Ken! The Ken Song featuring Ken Barlow from Coronation Street "I am Ken Barlow and I am the only constant in your life!"

As J. Alfread Prufrock said:
    "For I have known them all already, known them all:
    Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
    I have measured out my life with BeebRock tunes;
    Feck, is it Wednesday again already? :eek:"

As J. Alfread Prufrock said:
    "For I have known them all already, known them all:
    Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
    I have measured out my life with BeebRock tunes;
    Feck, is it Wednesday again already? :eek:"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Joe Bonamassa on Jules.

Gotta have me some o' that.

• Advertisement

Nile Rodgers Watch Update:

He was on Desert Island Discs on Radio 4 last week, 5 of the 8 songs he picked were his own.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000r6k

Skid X wrote: »
    Nile Rodgers Watch Update:

He was on Desert Island Discs on Radio 4 last week, 5 of the 8 songs he picked were his own.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000r6k
    :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

CLTV Better than watching sh1te in HD

FTA freq. 11597.00 V 22000 5/6

There's someone else using the TV at the moment but I'll have a look through the week's EPG later or tomorrow. Off the top of my head there's Deep Purple, Zeppelin and Johnny Cash docus during the week.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Joe Bonamassa on Jules.

Gotta have me some o' that.

If you've a few quid to spare and you're free next August.

From Bernie Marsden's FB
    Very nice to be invited to the “Keeping the Blues Alive” European cruise next August. I was an artist on the very first one and had a great time with my friend Joe Bonamassa. Barcelona to Monaco to Malta - a blues heaven!
    Head to bluesaliveatseaeurope.com for more info!
    BM

43773014_2036258013088051_5032293458509824000_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&oh=53c91d458c22da6d95f7361c218d5760&oe=5C43B998

sligojoek wrote: »
    CLTV Better than watching sh1te in HD

FTA freq. 11597.00 V 22000 5/6

There's someone else using the TV at the moment but I'll have a look through the week's EPG later or tomorrow. Off the top of my head there's Deep Purple, Zeppelin and Johnny Cash docus during the week.

I've recorded a few of these documentaries over the last week or 2 . I sat down tonight to watch Deep Purple and Rainbow. What a waste of time. All talking heads and only about 5 mins of music in the whole hour. I know Ritchie Blackmore is great. but I don't need 30 journalists to tell me.

YouTube here I come,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

sligojoek wrote: »
    I've recorded a few of these documentaries over the last week or 2 . I sat down tonight to watch Deep Purple and Rainbow. What a waste of time. All talking heads and only about 5 mins of music in the whole hour. I know Ritchie Blackmore is great. but I don't need 30 journalists to tell me.

YouTube here I come,

Agree those docs are as cheap as they get and the channel in question just shows them by rote. Takes about three weeks to see all they have and will ever have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Who are these Furniture geezers? I don't remember them at all.

‘Higher Love’ by Steve Winwood - great song, but that 80’s production has dated soooo badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Who are these Furniture geezers? I don't remember them at all.

They are now known as 'Flat Pack Furniture' ;)

*mental image of Bruno Brooke’s and Owen Paul admiring each other’s mullets in the green room*

• Advertisement

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    They are now known as 'Flat Pack Furniture' ;)

Couldn’t have said it better, my shelf.

I’ll see myself out.

‘Too Good To Be Forgotten’ by Amaz...what were they called again?

:cool:

Chris De Burgh sneaking into the charts at no. 40 ... everybody stood by and thought sure what harm can he do ... a few weeks later he's at Number One for 5 weeks.

A lesson for us all there, don't stand by and watch idly while Lady In Red moves up the charts.

Touch of the Gogglebox's about this.

Roxy Music’s first two albums - essential :)

We are flying down to Re-ooooooh! :cool:

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Touch of the Gogglebox's about this.

Peter Hook sitting at home right now, about to put his foot through the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The Fender Strat is probably my favourite guitar.

Grace Jones 'Private Life'. Doesn't get much better for me.

I'd like to see Kate Bush presenting a show like this.

Sorry, I read that back and I realise it sounds like "ooh, Kate Bush thinks this looks easy?, well if she tried it herself she wouldn't find it nearly as handy as it looks" which isn't the vibe I was aiming for at all.

• Advertisement

Who is this eejet:confused:
    And why?
    Whoy oh whoy :confused:

(Kudos for his risk-free crowdsurfing, though)

Advertisement