Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Excellent Sam Cooke documentary on Sky Arts right now.

One of the greatest soul voices of all time, tragically taken too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Touch of the Gogglebox's about this.

They reminded me of these 2!

TELEMMGLPICT000172382628_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq2WuBdJFECLloJnC8bLryN8mp0RzztmXUMmp-L92Wz8o.jpeg?imwidth=450

Tonight on ‘Later Live...With Jools Holland’ at 10pm...Interpol, Bugzy Malone (with splurge guns? :D ), Fantastic Negrito, Another Sky, Fatoumata Diawara, Marc Almond and Olivia Chaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

BandMember wrote: »
    Heard two interesting bits of David Bowie news on BBC 6 Music this morning:

Firstly, BBC Four are going to broadcast an hour of highlights from his Glastonbury set in 2000.

This is on on Friday!

https://davidbowienews.com/2018/10/david-bowies-glastonbury-2000-performance-to-be-shown-on-bbc-four-on-friday-26th-october-at-10-55pm/

David Bowie’s Glastonbury 2000 performance to be shown on BBC Four this Friday 26th October at 10.55pm.
    On Sunday 25 June 2000, David Bowie closed Glastonbury with a two-hour performance. Only half an hour or so of that stunning set was broadcast on BBC television that night at Bowie’s insistence. At the time, the BBC were heavily criticised for coming off Bowie after broadcasting the first five songs of the set live and only returning for a couple of encore songs at the end ofthe show. Fortunately the cameras kept rolling and captured the whole set.

This programme features an hour of highlights from that performance, including such previously unbroadcast hits as Ashes To Ashes, Starman and Let’s Dance. Bowie was returning to the festival for the first time since 1971. His star was not in the ascendant after the Tin Machine era and such 90s solo albums as Outside, Earthling and Hours. But from the moment he walked out on the Pyramid Stage, resplendent in an Alexander McQueen frock coat with his hair in Hunky Dory mode, and launched into Wild is the Wind, it was clear that he had decided to embrace and fully restate both his catalogue and his legend. Arguably it was Bowie’s greatest live performance since the 70s.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

BBC Four are going to broadcast an hour of highlights from his Glastonbury set in 2000. Apparently, there was only 30 minutes ever broadcast of his two hour headline set (no reason why given, presumably the Beeb didn't have such extensive coverage in those days with only One and Two in existence?) and it's rated as one of the best sets of all time, according to some review they quoted.

This is on on Friday!

https://davidbowienews.com/2018/10/david-bowies-glastonbury-2000-performance-to-be-shown-on-bbc-four-on-friday-26th-october-at-10-55pm/

David Bowie’s Glastonbury 2000 performance to be shown on BBC Four this Friday 26th October at 10.55pm.

Yes! That's the one to tape on Friday (it doesn't seem to be repeated). Apparently Bowie didn't want the full thing to be shown at the time. It's still not the full performance, they are going to sell that separately soon. Still, it's a nice treat.

Elsewhere there's all the usual stuff going on ...

Thursday
    12pm Trailblazers - Two Tone (Sky Arts)
    The Noddy Holder voiced over series about every musical genre ever is repeated again

5pm Trailblazers - Funk (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1986 - July 23rd (BBC4)
    Gary Davies and Peter Powell present the July 23 edition, featuring Hollywood Beyond, Sinitta, Audrey Hall, Robert Palmer, Haywoode and Madonna

10pm Pop Goes Northern Ireland (BBC2 NI)

10.40pm Flight Of The Conchords: Live in London 2018 (Sky Atlantic)

11pm Urban Myths - David Bowie and Marc Bolan (Sky Arts)
    With fame and fortune a distant dream, teenagers David and Marc redecorate their manager's office. Comedy, starring Luke Treadaway and Jack Whitehall, with Adrian Edmondson

12.35am Storyville: How The Beatles Rocked The Kremlin (BBC4)
    How the band's music may have contributed toward the collapse of the Soviet Union. Millions of people in the country became passionate fans of the Beatles during the 1960s, leading the authorities to grow wary of the seditious potential of rock 'n' roll, destroy the group's records and ban their music. Despite their efforts, a generation of youngsters had come to enjoy the culture of the Cold War enemy and defected emotionally from the Soviet system

Friday
    12pm Trailblazers - Funk (Sky Arts)

5pm Trailblazers - Punk (Sky Arts)

7.30pm Top Of The Pops 1986 - July 31st (BBC4)

Janice Long and Mike Read present the programme, first broadcast on July 31 1986. Featuring Spandau Ballet, the Jesus and Mary Chain, Five Star, Stan Ridgway and Chris de Burgh

8pm,& 2.30am Our Musical History: Blues and Beyond with Cerys Mathews and Val Wilmer (BBC4)
    I thought that said Val Kilmer, which would be have a surprising pairing. Singer, DJ and broadcaster Cerys Matthews joins acclaimed blues photographer Val Wilmer to select their favourite blues musicians - several of whom Val has met and photographed. From Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf to Jimi Hendrix and John Lee Hooker, Sister Rosetta Tharpe to Peggy Lee and many more, their playlist is packed with classic blues and punctuated with personal stories

8pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Billy Joel (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Music Icons - Chuck Berry (Sky Arts)

9pm Queen Rock The World (BBC4)

Documentary following the band as they recorded their sixth album, News of the World, and made plans for a tour of the US. Back in 1977, Whispering Bob Harris was granted exclusive access, conducting interviews with all four members, as well as filming them at work in the studio, rehearsing their North American Tour. Until recently, the documentary was never completed and the footage lay unused in the archive. The film is supplemented by footage shot in the summer of 2017 as Brian May and Roger Taylor took Queen back to the US with Adam Lambert as lead singer.

10pm The Story Of Bohemian Rhapsody (BBC4)
    Richard E Grant narrates the story of the classic Queen track, with band members Brian May and Roger Taylor returning to Rockfield studios to discuss how the music and lyrics came together, while friends and family as well as Abba's Bjorn Ulvaeus and the Darkness reveal their thoughts on the song. Featuring rare footage of Freddie Mercury performing in the studio and the group's first-ever TV appearance
    I think this is a slightly re-edited version of this

10pm Mr Dynamite - The Rise Of James Brown (Sky Arts)
    The career of the singer, musician and producer, charting his journey from his first hit Please, Please, Please in 1956 through his pioneering funk phase to later chart success. The IMDB reviews are all positive https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3626440/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt

10.55pm-Midnight David Bowie at Glastonbury 2000 (BBC4) New!
    Highlights of the singer's headline set on the Pyramid Stage, which closed the festival on Sunday 25 June 2000 and has gone down in history as one of his finest performances. At Bowie's request, only around half an hour of the concert was broadcast live on TV, so this is the first time classics from the set including Ashes to Ashes, Starman and Let's Dance have been shown
    Looks like this is being shown to promote a new release of the complete full set https://www.nme.com/news/music/david-bowies-legendary-glastonbury-2000-headline-set-released-full-first-time-2385810

11.20pm Belladrum 2017 - Feeder (BBC Alba)

Midnight People's History of Pop (BBC4)
    1986-1996, All Together Now Lauren Laverne celebrates music from 1986-1996 including Acid House, Hip Hop and Pop

12.15am Trailblazers - Funk (Sky Arts)

12.45am Guth - The Beatles (TG4)
    A look at how members of the Beatles' awareness of their Irish roots saw them take a keen interest in the land of their ancestors

1.15am James Brown Live At Montreux 1981 (Sky Arts)

1.30am Sound of Song (BBC4)
    Ep 2/3 Reeling and Rocking Musician Neil Brand explores the elements that come together to make classic songs by recreating some of the most famous recording sessions in history. Among the samples analysed are Elvis Presley's slapback echo effect in Memphis, the Beatles' tape loops at Abbey Road, Phil Spector's `wall of sound' technique, and the Beach Boys' pop symphonies

2.35am Discovering Music - James Brown (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    10am Tony Visconti's Unsigned Heroes (Sky Arts)
    Ep 3/5

11am Trailblazers - Disco (Sky Arts)

12pm Trailblazers - Glam Rock (Sky Arts)

2pm Alicia Keys Live at Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

4pm DIana Ross Live in Central Park (Sky Arts)

6.45pm Queen Live at the Rainbow (Sky Arts)

1974 Concert

7pm Guitar Heroes at the BBC (Yesterday)

8.30pm & 12.30am Bohemian Rhapsody Special (Sky Arts)

A plug for the new film

9pm Freddie Mercury - The Great Pretender (Sky Arts)
    Profile of the Queen frontman, exploring his time away from the band - including a collaboration with Michael Jackson and the triumphant Barcelona duet with Montserrat Caballe. The programme also examines his life as a gay man who was not yet publicly out. Featuring archive footage and interviews with bandmates Brian May and Roger Taylor, as well as friends and admirers including Paul Gambaccini, Montserrat Caballe and Matt Lucas

9pm Synth Britannia at the BBC (Yesterday)

10pm TOTP2 - Summertime Special (Yesterday)

10.45pm Queen - Live at Wembley 1986 (Sky Arts)

A performance by the band recorded on their 1986 Magic tour, when they were riding the crest of a wave following their triumphant Live Aid performance at the same venue the year before.

10.45pm Luke Thomas and the Swing Cats (VM2)
    No idea, to be honest

11pm Top Of The Pops 1986 - July 23rd (BBC4)
    as Thursday

11.15pm Later ... with Jools Holland (BBC2)
    The pianist welcomes artists including New York rockers Interpol, Bugzy Malone, Rag'n'Bone Man, Fantastic Negrito, Another Sky, Fatoumata Diawara and Olivia Chaney

11.30pm Top Of The Pops 1986 - July 31st (BBC4)
    as Friday

11.45pm Film: Telstar - The Joe Meek Story (VM3)
    Biopic of the influential 1960s record producer who became a success with a string of number-one hits, including the multi-million-selling Telstar, but was ultimately brought down by depression and paranoia as his volatile personality drove away those closest to him. With Con O'Neill, Kevin Spacey, Pam Ferris, James Corden and JJ Feild.
    Ralf Little from the Royle Family plays Chas Hodges from Chas and Dave in this.

11.55pm Peadar O'Riada - Onar gCroi (TG4)

1am The Making of Marc Bolan (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story of how East End boy Mark Feld became a glam rock superstar as the frontman of T. Rex. Featuring contributions from friends, family and well-known fans

1am Neil Se#@?a : King Of Song (Sky Arts)
    Nothing to see here

**** Clocks go back at 2am, best of luck if you are trying to tape anything after that ****

1am GMT Urban Myths: David Bowie and Marc Bolan (Sky Arts)

1.30am GMT Generation Grime (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    10am Tony Visconti's Unsigned Heroes (Sky Arts)
    Imelda May trawls the streets, bars and clubs of Dublin to recruit the country's best undiscovered musical talent for a special concert celebrating Tony Visconti

11am Trailblazers - Two Tone (Sky Arts)
    12pm Trailblazers - Funk (Sky Arts)
    1pm Trailblazers - Punk (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Junior Eurovision 2018 (TG4)
    Eoghan McDermott presents the search for an Irish candidate for the 2018 song contest in Minsk.
    67% of mobile phone thefts in Belarus are committed in Minsk, However, attorney general Grigory Vasilevich stated that homicide rate in Minsk in 2008 was "relatively fine" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minsk

9.30pm Se Mo Laoch (TG4)
    Profile of Co Meath singers Maighread and Triona Ni Domhnaill, who have performed with Skara Brae and the Bothy Band and worked to preserve the music of past generations

10pm Nat King Cole: Afraid Of The Dark (Sky Arts)
    A look into the private journals of the music legend, who overcame a period of racial segregation and prejudice in America to become one of the greatest jazz icons of all time.

10.30pm Bosca Ceoil (TG4)

Midnight Nat King Cole - Encore (Sky Arts)
    A collection of performances by the Alabama-born jazz pianist and singer, acclaimed as one of the world's leading vocalists before his death in 1969

12.55am Dean Martin - A Legend in Concert (Sky Arts)
    Compilation

1.55am Sammy Davis Jnr - Legends in Concert (Sky Arts)
    Compilation

2.55am Sinatra - The Man and his Music (Sky Arts)
    1981 TV Special

Anyway, the man who pioneered the idea of changing the clocks twice a year was a Mr William Willet, who first proposed it in 1907

Willam Willet's Great Great Grandson happens to be Chris Martin of Coldplay, who had a single and album called Clocks.

So that's a bit of Coldplay Clocks trivia for the weekend that's in it.

Elsewhere the combined might of BBC Four and BBC Four have commissioned Ardal O'Hanlon to do a show about Irish Showbands. That'll give BBC Four some badly needed Culture at long last https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2018/new-commissions-from-bbc-northern-ireland

Finally, the best Justin Hawkins from The Darkness performance as Screaming Lord Sutch of the week might be in Telstar - The Joe Meek Story on Saturday at 11.45pm on Virgin Media 3. It's good, honestly.

• Advertisement

The Joe Meek Story is well worth a watch.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

Oh, and did I mention I was at Bowie’s set at Glastonbury 2000?

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Oh, and did I mention I was at Bowie’s set at Glastonbury 2000?

:cool: :cool: :cool:

B@$+@rd :p

Well I was at the Point in Nov 2003 - and didn't have to get my feet muddy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

BBC Four are going to broadcast an hour of highlights from his Glastonbury set in 2000. Apparently, there was only 30 minutes ever broadcast of his two hour headline set (no reason why given, presumably the Beeb didn't have such extensive coverage in those days with only One and Two in existence?) and it's rated as one of the best sets of all time, according to some review they quoted. In fairness, they read out the setlist and it was just one great tune after another - best of luck to whoever has to choose which 50% makes it to air! No definite transmission date was given, just sometime later this year.
    This is on on Friday!

Skid X wrote: »
    Yes! That's the one to tape on Friday (it doesn't seem to be repeated). Apparently Bowie didn't want the full thing to be shown at the time. It's still not the full performance, they are going to sell that separately soon. Still, it's a nice treat.

Videos currently on YouTube include one of 37 minutes (I don't know if any of the shorter uploads have anything not in the former). It will be interesting to see how much overlap there is with the Beeb programme - the less there is, the more of the 2 hours that will have been released/leaked

B@$+@rd :p

Well I was at the Point in Nov 2003 - and didn't have to get my feet muddy :pac:

The strange thing is, Glastonbury tickets go on sale long before the line-up is announced. So for me and my friends, who were all Glasto first-timers, we were far more excited about just being THERE than seeing Bowie.

Of course we were fans, but for us, Bowie was an afterthought compared to the whole experience...trying to find my tent, etc. :D

Personally, I think this performance has been ‘romanticised’ since his death, especially as the set-list reads like a Greatest Hits - partly by the BBC feeling guilty for the editing :D - I’m sure Ziggy And The Spiders live at their pomp would surely stand amongst his best shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

The strange thing is, Glastonbury tickets go on sale long before the line-up is announced. So for me and my friends, who were all Glasto first-timers, we were far more excited about just being THERE than seeing Bowie.

Of course we were fans, but for us, Bowie was an afterthought compared to the whole experience...trying to find my tent, etc. :D

Personally, I think this performance has been ‘romanticised’ since his death, especially as the set-list reads like a Greatest Hits - partly by the BBC feeling guilty for the editing :D - I’m sure Ziggy And The Spiders live at their pomp would surely stand amongst his best shows.
    Yeah, though I suppose it's a case of not-the-best-Bowie is still pretty damn good (no analogies intended...) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

I've been quoted in Skid's weekly listings. :eek: Well, there's one off the bucketlist!! :P :pac:

I’m sure Ziggy And The Spiders live at their pomp would surely stand amongst his best shows.

If you watch the D A Pennebaker film then yes - they must have been a cracking live show - I wasn't out of nappies then - anyone who went there had a great experience I'm sure. But Bowie's best work had not yet been conceived.

Godammit thats a great weekend all round and pretty epic for Queen fans. Seen em all before but I'll watch them all again x 10.

Highlights are Queen Rock the World, this is pretty new and features some awesome studio footage from NOTW and Rhys Thomas's The Great Pretender.

I've been quoted in Skid's weekly listings. :eek: Well, there's one off the bucketlist!! :P :pac:

Ha, I'm a bit like the new Jimmy Savile!

Edit: No, hang on, not like that - delete, delete ...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Welcome to the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Ha, I'm a bit like the new Jimmy Savile!

Edit: No, hang on, not like that - delete, delete ...

You're the new Noel Edmonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

You're the new Noel Edmonds.

Harsh!

:p

This Sinitta video is So Morto.

*leans back, puts on sunglasses*

Does this mean Chris De Burgh has dropped out of the Top 40?

:pac:

• Advertisement

This Robert Palmer video is So...hang on...

*wipes steam from glasses*

...sorry, what was I talking about?

Robert Palmer went in a radical new direction for this video, totally different from Addicted to Love.

Does this mean Chris De Burgh has dropped out of the Top 40?

:pac:

Yeah, good riddance.

There's no way that mawkish dirge could have made the Top 10, surely.

Holy Sh... :(

Very shortly, we will be witnessing the return of Frankie Goes To Hollywood, who committed the unforgivable sin of releasing a second album :D

RAGE HARD!

*shudder*

That 'What's The Colour of Money?' song at the start of the show was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Oh I remember that!
    "Don't tell me that you think it's green
    Me, I know it's red"
    Not watching at the moment as I'm recording. Will definitely give it a watch though will be fast forwarding through Mr de Bleurgh (didn't write this song out of guilt cos I'm banging the nanny,honest)

That and Camouflage were my favourite songs from that summer. I was 12, had my BMX, great friends, an Atari 800xl, zero worries and 3 months off school that felt like 3 years!!

This Robert Palmer video is So...hang on...

*wipes steam from glasses*

...sorry, what was I talking about?

(we're a couple of weeks behind on TOTP) the mrs the other night was trying to convince me that with 'Addicted to Love' the late Mr Palmer was actually being all ironic and postmodern by portraying women as cheap sex objects rather than being a sleazebag, and he was in fact ridiculing tits'n'ass video exploitation, I wasn't buying it!

so what do yizzer think? Post-modern feminist, or sleazebag? :p at least with Roxy Music you knew that Ferry was an unashamed sleazebag!

Very shortly, we will be witnessing the return of Frankie Goes To Hollywood, who committed the unforgivable sin of releasing a second album :D

RAGE HARD!

*shudder*

Am not and wasn't an FGTH fan, but it's actually not terrible and was better than 90% of the sh!t in the charts at the time.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    fast forwarding through Mr de Bleurgh (didn't write this song out of guilt cos I'm banging the nanny,honest)

Just one thing he has in common with Lord Lucan :p

• Advertisement

Deeply ironic and postmodern, I think you'll find :p

Advertisement