Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Skid X wrote: »
    The Range by Bruce Hornsby, that used to be played when Des or whoever read out the League Tables on Grandstand for years.

"In Canon League Division 2, another draw for Sheffield United keeps their unbeaten run going, now four points behind Manchester City with a game in hand" etc

Edit - like this

Liverpool at the top - some thing’s will never change :cool:

tenor.gif?itemid=3556274

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Is that Tony Angelino singing backing vocals for Phil ’Feawon’ (far right)? :D

Ha, Tony Angelino had just co-written The Chicken Song for Spitting Image, so he was in demand.

If ever there was a moment during the 80’s for Russia to push the red button...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Just caught up on the episode now. Can honestly say that even my less then discerning 15 yo self would have been singularly unimpressed with tonight's offering. An excellent reminder to debunk the myth (one that I often trot out to younger folks ) that even the sh1t music was good in 80s. It wasn't. It was just sh1t. And summer 86 was a low point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Just caught up on the episode now. Can honestly say that even my less then discerning 15 yo self would have been singularly unimpressed with tonight's offering. An excellent reminder to debunk the myth (one that I often trot out to younger folks ) that even the sh1t music was good in 80s. It wasn't. It was just sh1t. And summer 86 was a low point.

I was older than you then and probably still am now. I'd given up on TOTP a few years earlier. I feel your pain.

Sardonicat wrote: »

There was definitely a lull inbetween the end of the so-called ‘Second British Invasion’/Live Aid, and the arrival of the ‘Second Summer Of Love’.

Too many novelty records, and throwaway signings like Wet Wet Wet - the only high points of 1986 I can think of were The Smiths, The Housemartins, Pet Shop Boys, Jam And Lewis working with Janet Jackson and the ‘Big Four’ of Thrash Metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

sligojoek wrote: »
    I was older than you then and probably still am now.

:confused:

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Waaay too many identikit soulless 'soul' acts around at that time, whether blue-eyed or not.

Who was buying these records?

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

‘Under The Cherry Moon’.

*shudder*

• Advertisement

Don’t know if you have them in Ireland, but here in Blighty there is a chain of homeware shops called The Range.

I’d like to think that somebody called Bruce Hornsby works in one of them. :)

The Range And Bruce Hornsby. :cool:

The Range by Bruce Hornsby

Doh

The Range was his band.

That's Just The Way It Is was the song.

‘Glory Of Love’ by Peter Cetera.

The mother of all cheeseboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

Doh

The Range was his band.

It's a superb song. Though I'm pretty sure its an electric piano on the recording and he mimed in the video and on TOTP with an acoustic ;)

Didn’t know Hoddle and Waddle were going to be on tonight.

This episode wouldn't do much to disprove the "the charts had gone to ****e in 1986" theory.

Boris Gardiner’s smooth vocal stylings doesn’t alter the fact that he is essentially stalking her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Doh

The Range was his band.

All you need is to find a store called 'that's just the way it is'

All you need is to find a store called 'that's just the way it is'

Fingers crossed that Bruce himself will perform at one of the stores.

Bruce Hornsby AT the Range. :)

Incoming car-crash TV (possibly)...

Shaun Ryder and Alan McGee discussing their musical heroes on BBC Four shortly!

:O

• Advertisement

Trying to get Shaun Ryder to recall events/names/dates may take some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I'm liking this so far :D

‘Rip It Up’ - ah yeah! :D

I've won money from people who swear blind that Dirty Old Town was written about Dublin.

Snarling vocals and sweet instrumentals :P – I do love this Dirty Old Town rendition

Rowetta from the Happy Mondays finished fourth in the first series of the X Factor, a show in which Nile Rodgers appears as a guest judge tomorrow.

Nice to see Nile getting some rare television exposure.

Ian Curtis’s performance of ‘Transmission’.

Goosebumps, I tells ya.

Ian Curtis’s performance of ‘Transmission’.

Goosebumps, I tells ya.
    Interesting indeed. I'd heard of JD but never been exposed to them enough to get an idea - good place to get an intro, as I'd probably not have looked up randon YouTube videos

That was a very enjoyable hour with Shaun and Alan.

My quest to find my half read copy of Alan's book Creation Stories continues, it's around here somewhere.

• Advertisement

Johnny Marr/Maher on the RTE Nine O'Clock News there, being honoured with a plaque as an Athy man

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/south-kildare/345604/watch-the-smiths-guitarist-johnny-marr-pays-tribute-to-man-killed-in-athy-yesterday-as-he-dedicates-musical-plaque.html

The Reporter then said Mani from the Stone Roses and Primal Scream's Mother grew up five doors down from Johnny Marr's Mother. Mani is getting his own Athy plaque next week.

The News needs more of this kind of news, frankly.

Advertisement