Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

My brother's friend was Peggy Gallagher's partner for years. One of his favourite sayings is, "I wiped them fu(kers ar$es"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Stayed on for the Marc Bolan doc – though his music didn’t grab my attention so much I can see the interest, and again the little slice of history feel is engaging

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

Interesting indeed. I'd heard of JD but never been exposed to them enough to get an idea - good place to get an intro, as I'd probably not have looked up randon YouTube videos

I'd say go a get a copy of something like Substance, sit back, listen and enjoy but it doesn't work like that. Hard to compare them to anyone because they effectively invented a style of (dark) music in a similar way to say Nirvana but without the mainstream plaudits.

dasdog wrote: »
    I'd say go a get a copy of something like Substance, sit back, listen and enjoy but it doesn't work like that. Hard to compare them to anyone because they effectively invented a style of (dark) music in a similar way to say Nirvana but without the mainstream plaudits.
    Yes indeed - with me it's probably dependant on being in mood to be receptive to some style or other that I encounter and latching on to one or two songs, then developing a taste for more over time. Or somesuch :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Boris Gardiner’s smooth vocal stylings doesn’t alter the fact that he is essentially stalking her.

Ah shush you. Nobody listens to the words if you sound funky enough :)

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

just watching the alan and shaun thing now,very good indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I really enjoyed the Island records documentary and the Sound of Song on Friday night, these are the only chances I get now for watching UK television when I go down to my sisters at Bandon in Cork. Tom's Hardware forum doesn't work for me anymore you used to be able to watch UK TV on that but now you have to have a UK address for it to work. I also enjoyed the recent Se Mo Lach on Matt Molloy which is worth looking at, its on Youtube thank god as the streaming from the TG4 player is terrible at the moment.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

I really enjoyed the Island records documentary and the Sound of Song on Friday night, these are the only chances I get now for watching UK television when I go down to my sisters at Bandon in Cork. Tom's Hardware forum doesn't work for me anymore you used to be able to watch UK TV on that but now you have to have a UK address for it to work.

I've got four letters for you: I. P. T. V. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hi, Sky Arts has a decent enough line up with Leonard Cohen, The Damned and The Clash centre stage on Saturday.

A lot of the BBC Airtime is taken up with programming to commemorate the 100th anniversary of World War I Armistice, while some of the repeats have been on so often, even the Lads who marched into torrents of bullets on the Somme would have been tired of them ...

Thursday
    6pm MTV EMAs 2018 (MTV)
    Live from Bilbao. "The people of Bilbao are best known for being proud of being so, being from Bilbao is the best, and this feeling of pride of belonging has made us famous around the world ", according to http://www.bilbaoturismo.net/BilbaoTurismo/en/curiosidades.

7.30pm Top Of The Pops 1986- August 28 (BBC4)
    John Peel and Janice Long present the August 28 edition, featuring Jermaine Stewart, Peter Cetera, Jaki Graham, the Human League, Boris Gardiner and Janet Jackson

10pm Pop Goes Northern Ireland (BBC2 NI)

Friday
    6am Josh Groban Stages Live (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1986 - September 4th (BBC4)

Gary Davies presents the programme, first broadcast on September 4. Featuring the Communards, MC Miker `G' and Deejay Sven, Bruce Hornsby and the Range, Bon Jovi, Farley `Jackmaster' Funk, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, and Boris Gardiner

8pm & 1.35am Our Musical History - Soul and Beyond with Trevor Nelson and Corinne Bailey Rae (BBC4)
    DJ Trevor Nelson and singer-songwriter Corinne Bailey Rae present their ultimate soundtrack in an hour of classic and contemporary soul and R'n'B gems. Given an airing are childhood favourites such as the Jackson 5 and Gladys Knight. as well as inspirational tracks from Prince, Mary J Blige, Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye.

8pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Blondie (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Music Icons - Earth Wind and Fire (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Cosain Cheoil (RTE1)

Last in Series

9pm & 2.35am Boy George 's 1970s- Save Me From Suburbia (BBC4)
    While history may remember the 1970s as being marked by strikes, poverty and civil discord, the singer reveals that - for the young George O'Dowd - the decade was the beginning of his musical, social and sexual coming-of-age. He discusses how sexual repression and disenfranchisement, along with the advent of glam rock, disco and punk, gave rise to the flamboyant persona he would later unleash on the world, via Culture Club's memorable first appearance on Top of the Pops in 1982

10pm Radio 2 in Concert - Boy George and Culture Club (BBC4, also on the Red Button at various times)
    New concert for BBC Radio 2 from the BBC Radio Theatre, features such classic tunes as Karma Chameleon and Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?, as well as songs from Life, their first album in 19 years

10pm - 12.25am Peter Green - Man Of The World (Sky Arts)
    The story of the blues performer, who found fame in the 1960s as lead guitarist with Fleetwood Mac, but left the public stage for years as he battled drug addiction and mental illness. Featuring archive footage and interviews with Noel Gallagher, Carlos Santana, Green's former bandmates and the musician himself

11pm The Joy Of The Single (BBC4)
    Artists including Jack White, Noddy Holder, Richard Hawley and Suzi Quatro reveal the powerful impact that singles have had on successive generations, from the rock 'n' rollers of the 1950s to the MP3 downloaders of the noughties

12.25am Soundstage Presents Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks (Sky Arts)
    Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks perform a selection of the band's classic hits, including Never Going Back Again, Go Your Own Way and Big Love. From 2005

12.35am Sings The Great American Songbook (BBC4)
    Compilation of archive performances of hits composed by American songwriters including Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Johnny Mercer and Harold Arlen. Featuring music by Shirley Bassey, Bryan Ferry, Captain Sensible, Jamie Cullum and Florence and the Machine

1.40am KISS Rocks Vegas (Sky Arts)
    Repeat of last weeks concert

Saturday
    7pm Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about the life and career of the Canadian singer-songwriter, who details the intricacies of his distinctive brand of music, and his unique outlook on life. Archive footage and photographs from Cohen's private collection illustrate high points from his career, and there are performances of his songs by artists including Nick Cave, Jarvis Cocker, the Handsome Family, Beth Orton, Rufus Wainwright and Martha Wainwright at a 2005 tribute concert in Sydney

7pm BBC Proms 2014 (BBC4)
    War Horse Concert from 2014, shown for the Armistice Anniversary

7pm Motown at the BBC (Yesterday)

7.15pm Oireachtas 2018 (TG4)

https://tg4.ie/ga/clair/oireachtas-2018/

8pm TOTP2 - Pop Stars (Yesterday)

8.15pm Opry An Iuir - George Jones (TG4)

Daniel O'Donnell returns to the Millennium Forum in Derry to present a tribute show to George Jones. He is joined by George and Tammy Wynette's daughter Georgette Jones, alongside Jimmy Buckley and Robert Mizell

8.20pm & 2.40am John Denver at Wembley Arena 1979 (BBC4)
    A classic performance by the US musician at London's Wembley Arena in 1979, originally shown as part of a selection of programmes to mark the 70th year since the birth of the quintessential `country boy'

8.30pm Festival of Remembrance (BBC1)
    Huw Edwards presents coverage of the concert marking the centenary of the end of the First World War from the Royal Albert Hall, attended by the Queen and other members of the royal family. The show features performances by Tom Jones, Sheridan Smith, Sir Bryn Terfel, Tom Fletcher, Danny Jones and others

9pm The History Of The Clash (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the band's career. Featuring interviews with Mick Jones, Paul Simon and Topper Headon, plus archive contributions by Joe Strummer
    On Youtube in full

9pm TOTP2 - Boy Bands (Yesterday)

10pm The Damned: Don't You Wish That We Were Dead ? (Sky Arts) New!
    http://ripplemusic.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-damned-dont-you-wish-that-we-were.html
    "Hailed as "excellent" by Uncut, "fascinating" by The Arts Desk,and "funny, fast-moving and gloriously chaotic" by The Hollywood Reporter, the film was directed/produced by Wes Orshoski, and is the first fully authorized documentary on punk pioneers The Damned."

10.40pm Top Of The Pops 1986- August 28 (BBC4)
    As Thursday

11.10pm Top Of The Pops 1986 - September 4th (BBC4)
    As Friday

11.40pm Better Than The Original: The Joy Of The Cover Version (BBC4)
    The role of the cover in the pop industry, investigating what it takes to reinvent someone else's hit and following the stories behind 10 cover songs, tracking how artists as varied as the Moody Blues, Soft Cell, Puff Daddy and Alexandra Burke have topped the charts with their retake on someone else's song

12.15am The Sex Pistols - There'll Always Be An England (Sky Arts)
    A performance from 2007 at Brixton Academy to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the release of the album Never Mind the Bollocks

12.40am Big In America - British Hits in the USA (BBC4)
    Featuring things like Dave Clark Five, Coldplay, A Flock of Seagulls, Supertramp, Bush, Black Sabbath and the Cure

1.40am Indie Classics at the BBC (BBC4)
    Classic hits of the indie music genre through the 1980s and early '90s. Performers include Joy Division, Depeche Mode, the Smiths, Cocteau Twins and Primal Scream

1.45am Soundstage - New York Dolls Live (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    8.30pm Junior Eurovision (TG4)
    Ep 5/7 of the long Road To Minsk. While in Minsk, be warned that "according to the Belarusian laws, it is forbidden to be in a state of intoxication at any mass gathering" Still, at least it must cut down on the people who spend most of concerts and games going in and out to the bar and the toilets http://belarusfeed.com/belarus-laws/

9pm Joan Baez Live in New York (Sky Arts)
    also featuring David Crosby, Damien Rice and Paul Simon

9.30pm Se Mo Laoch - Alec Finn (TG4)
    A profile of the bohemian, artistic and unique accompanist Alec Finn, who came to Ireland in the 1960s and created sounds and rhythms that had never been heard before

10.30pm Bosca Ceoil (TG4)
    with Dervish , The Bonny Men and others

12.45am Sinatra featuring Don Costa and his Orchestra (Sky Arts)
    1969 TV Special

And that's more or less that, it was a few weeks ago but Bobby Gillespie from Primal Scream's bizarre appearance on late night BBC1 Politics show This Week is worth a look https://www.nova.ie/latest_news/check-out-primal-screams-bobby-gillespie-refusing-to-dance-on-this-week-118301

Primal Scream commissioned a painting of it https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp4Q6OanP2w/

The Best use of a Pixies Song in the Closing Credits of a film about Fight Club of the week might be in Fight Club (Dave, 9pm Friday). I won't show the actual clip as it's a bit spoilery so here it is over a Trainspotting montage, for some reason

Skid X wrote: »
    The Best use of a Pixies Song in the Closing Credits of a film [...] might be in Fight Club
    Yes :D

+Thanks for flagging Sky Arts items already on YouTube :)

• Advertisement

[...] here it is over a Trainspotting montage, for some reason
    :pac::pac::pac: Now that's what I call editing (II)
    [was expecting the ceiling-crawling baby to turn up near the end, though :p]

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

*drops to knees*

*air grabs*

*beats chest*

:cool:

Didn’t Peter Cetera play in Dublin only about a week ago?

An entire evening of Gorgonzola :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I owned one of those macks *hangs head in shame*

Still can’t believe the Manics are supporting Bon Jovi :(

Neither band have been the same since Richie left.

‘Human’ - great song from a ropey album :D

Reached number one in America!

‘Human’ - great song from a ropey album :D

Reached number one in America!

Stop that. I went to see them in Vicar St. a few years ago. They started with 'Love Action' which made me lose my sh1t, they played 'Human' later which made me head for a piss.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Stop that. I went to see them in Vicar St. a few years ago. They started with 'Love Action' which made me lose my sh1t, they played 'Human' later which made me head for a piss.

Going to see them in a fortnight :D

Even the band admitted ‘Crash’ was a mistake - Jam and Lewis gave them what suspiciously sounded like rejected Janet Jackson songs (they’d just finished working with her). They headed back to Britain, and let JAL finish the record.

Going to see them in a fortnight :D

Even the band admitted ‘Crash’ was a mistake - Jam and Lewis gave them what suspiciously sounded like rejected Janet Jackson songs (they’d just finished working with her). They headed back to Britain, and let JAL finish the record.

Enjoy! Which show you going to? No Dublin dates I see :(

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Enjoy! Which show you going to? No Dublin dates I see :(

Saturday 24th. at the Manchester Arena, with special guest Midge Ure :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I spotted John Taylor (Duran Duran) standing next to Janice Long when she was introducing The Human League. No idea why he was there. About the only thing worth watching on tonight's episode :p

Excellent Boy George documentary just started on BBC Four.

Excellent Boy George documentary just started on BBC Four.
    Yes - had a look, suspecting I'd seen it before, confirmed that it had been on the Beeb a few times already, but viewed through to the end again anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello hello, this week sees BBC4 going with new shows on Primal Scream and a Reggae Presenter, and Sky are all about The Kinks with a new doc about The Village Green Preservation Society.

TG4 have a twelve minute show about a pub in Tipperary where they have good sessions. Hopefully if it's going well, they might lock the door and stretch it out to the full fifteen ...

Thursday
    7.30pm & 12.05pm Top Of The Pops 1986 - September 18 (BBC4)
    Peter Powell and Stevie Wright host the September 18 edition, featuring Eurythmics, Michael McDonald, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Cameo, the Communards and Five Star

7.30pm Seal le Daitihi - le John Spillane (TG4)
    Daithi O Se talks to musician, composer, poet and storyteller John Spillane, arguably one of the most accomplished songwriters in Ireland today

9pm Our Classical Century (BBC4) New!
    New series. A celebration of 100 years of classical music, beginning with a look at the profound influence of the First World War on a generation of musicians and composers. With Suzy Klein and Lenny Henry

10pm Pop Goes Northern Ireland (BBC2 NI)

12.35am Tunes For Tyrants: Music and Power (BBC4)
    Ep 1/3 Revolution A exploration of music's crucial political role in the most turbulent years of the 20th century, beginning by looking at the years after the Russian Revolution and the First World War when music was seen as a tool to change societ. With Suzy Klein (without Lenny Henry)

1.35am The Secret Science Of Pop (BBC4)
    Evolutionary biologist Professor Armand Leroi gathers a team of scientists and researchers to analyse more than 50 years of UK chart music. When the results are in, Armand teams up with producer Trevor Horn. Using machine-learning techniques, they try to take a song by unsigned artist Nike Jemiyo and turn it into a potential chart-topper. Poor enough, I thought. He seemed more interested in making provocative claims than explaining the technical matters behind his claims.

Friday
    7.30pm & 12.30am Top Of The Pops 1986 - September 25 (BBC4)
    Janice Long hosts the edition first aired on September 25. Performers include Amazulu, Huey Lewis and the News, Farley `Jackmaster' Funk, Genesis, Loose Ends, the Communards and Run DMC

7.48pm Jim Of The Mill (TG4)
    A celebration of an unusual rural Tipperary pub that only opens once a week. Locals and many more from further afield fill the idyllic rural house for a mighty musical session each Thursday evening.

8pm & 1.05am Our Musical History - Vocal Giants with Beverley Knight and James Morrison (BBC4)
    The duo reveal the songs that shaped their respective musical journeys. Tina Turner, Big Mama Thornton, Steve Tyler, Eva Cassidy, Otis Redding and others

8pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Joe Strummer (Sky Arts)
    Shane MacGowan and former manager Frank Murray discuss Joe Strummer's career after leaving the Clash, looking at his time with the Pogues and his appearance in Alex Cox''s 1987 Spaghetti Western parody Straight to Hell. Featuring archive interviews with Strummer, who died in 2002

8.30pm Music Icons - The Grateful Dead (Sky Arts)

9pm & 2.05am Primal Scream - The Lost Memphis Tapes (BBC4) New!
    The discovery of the band's missing tracks, laid down in Memphis' Ardent Studios in 1993, but subsequently mislaid. The band later re-recorded the songs with a new producer, and they were incorporated into their 1994 album Give Out But Don't Give Up, meaning the originals were left unreleased. With previously unreleased footage of behind-the-scenes studio sessions, this is the story of how the original mix tapes of the album were rediscovered in a basement by Andrew Innes, Primal Scream's rhythm guitarist
    https://www.nme.com/news/music/primal-scream-original-memphis-recordings-2370474

10pm Rush: Time Stand Still (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about Canadian rock band Rush and their unique relationship with fans, set against the backdrop of the group's 40th anniversary tour in 2015
    Trailer

10pm Reggar Fever: David Rodigan (BBC4) New!
    The life of the German-born reggae broadcaster and radio presenter whose love affair with Jamaican music began in the 1950s, celebrating a man whose career is strangely intertwined with not only the evolution of such music in this country, but also the evolution of the culture.
    https://twitter.com/iburrell/status/1060480053660827649

11pm Reggae at the BBC (BBC4)
    featuring footage from programmes including Top of the Pops, Old Grey Whistle Test and Later with Jools Holland. Acts include Bob Marley & the Wailers, Gregory Isaacs, Desmond Dekker, Burning Spear, Althea & Donna, Dennis Brown and Buju Banton

Midnight Dire Straits - Alchemy 1983 (Sky Arts)
    1983 Hammersmith Odeon Concert

1.50am The Damned - Don't You Wish That We Were Dead? (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the complex history of the influential punk band, who formed in London in 1976

Saturday
    2pm The South Bank Show - Beverley Knight (Sky Arts)

3pm Rebecca Ferguson at Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

4.15pm Frank Sinatra - The Vintage Years (Sky Arts)

TV performances from the 1940s and 50s

7pm Easy Listening Hits at the BBC (Yesterday)

7.15pm The Hollies - Look Through Any Window (Sky Arts)
    Profile of the band, including an interview with members Graham Nash, Allan Clarke, Tony Hicks and Bobby Elliott and archive TV performances by the group from 1963 to 1975
    Not sure if this full Youtube video of the full show will stay up

8pm Exotic Pop at the BBC (Yesterday)
    When they say exotic they mean from non English speaking countries

9pm Holst and Vaughan Williams - Making Music English (BBC2)
    Historian Amanda Vickery and broadcaster Tom Service unearth the fascinating story of the life-long friendship between composers Ralph Vaughan Williams and Gustav Holst, whose music gave birth to the `English sound' in the first half of the 20th century.

9pm TOTP2 - Status Quo (Yesterday)

9.45pm & 3.15am Beat Beat Beat - The Kinks (Sky Arts)

1965 West German TV appearance

10pm & 2.15am The Kinks - Echoes Of A World (Sky Arts) New!
    The story of 1968 album The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society, which failed to chart upon release but went on to become one of the most influential works in rock
    https://www.sky.com/watch/channel/sky-arts/the-kinks-echoes-of-a-world

10pm TOTP2 - Eurovision (Yesterday)

10.20pm Film: David Brent - Life On The Road (BBC1)
    Premiere. More than a decade on from his appearance in documentary series The Office, a film crew is once again following the life of David Brent. He is now working as a rep for a cleaning-goods distributor, but harbours dreams of making it big in the music business. Acting on this, he takes three weeks off work and tours with a new-look version of Foregone Conclusion, the band he fronted in the 1990s. Comedy, directed by and starring Ricky Gervais

10.30pm Top Of The Pops 1986 - September 18 (BBC4)
    As Thursday

11pm Top Of The Pops 1986 - September 25 (BBC4)
    As Friday

11.30pm Radio 2 In Concert - Ed Sheeran (BBC2)
    Ed Sheeran performs a new concert for BBC Radio 2 from the BBC Radio Theatre. Also shown on the Red Button over most of the weekend.

11.30pm Guitar Heroes at the BBC (BBC4)
    Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, David Bowie, Motorhead, Nazareth, AC/DC, George Thorogood, Michael Chapman, Horslips and Paco de Lucia

11.30pm The British Invasion - The Small Faces (Sky Arts)
    Clips and Interviews

12.30am A Shot of Whisky (Sky Arts)
    The story of Los Angeles rock venue Whisky a Go Go, featuring classic archive performances by the likes of Led Zeppelin, the Doors and Janis Joplin as well as interviews
    Trailer

2am Autopsy: Elvis Presley (Virgin Media 3)
    Not sure what this is about, sure Elvis is alive and well

Sunday
    10.10am The South Bank Show - Beverley Knight (Sky Arts)

1.10pm Soundbreaking
    Ep 1/8 The Recording Artist . Repeat of the documentary series tracing the history of music recording, beginning with a look at the production work of George Martin, Phil Spector, Rick Rubin, Joni Mitchell and Prince

8pm Discovery Concerts - Rhapsody in Blur (George Gershwin) (BBC4)
    New series. Josie d'Arby presents the first in a series of performances by BBC Orchestras providing an in-depth exploration of famous pieces of classical music.

9pm The Prince and The Composer: A Film about Hubert Parry by Prince Charles (BBC4)
    The life and work of the composer, who is best known for the choral song Jerusalem and the well-loved hymn Dear Lord and Father of Mankind.

9pm The Who Sensation - The Story of Tommy (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the background, creation and impact of the Who's 1969 double album Tommy, featuring interviews with Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey and John Entwistle

9.30pm Junior Eurovision (TG4)
    Ep 6/7, the winner goes to the final in Minsk.
    There is a village of 354 people in Belarus called Dublin, 363KM from Minsk near the Ukraine Border
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin,_Belarus

10.15pm The Who: Tommy Live at The Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)
    A concert from 2017 in which the band perform their rock opera Tommy in its entirety for the first time, with tracks including The Acid Queen and Pinball Wizard

10.30pm Se Mo Laoch - Sarah Griallais (TG4)
    A profile of musician Sarah Ghriallais, a member of the Griallais family from Connemara. With contributions from Micheal O Conghaile. Last in the series

11.45pm The Rolling Stones: Sticky Fingers Live At The Fonda Theatre (Sky Arts)
    A 2015 performance by the veteran band in Hollywood, California, performing their 1971 album in its entirety

1.30am The Hollies - Look Through Any Window (Sky Arts)
    As Saturday

Nile Rodgers Watch News - he's on Children In Need on Friday

You might remember that Johnny Marr was celebrated in Athy as being one of their own recently, as promised here is confirmation that Mani from The Stone Roses and Primal Scream was also honoured there

https://twitter.com/LesserSpottedKE/status/1061907587040509954

More on Athy's Indie Descendents as it comes in

Finally, Alex Hurricane Higgins is remembered tomorrow in Alex Higgins: The People's Champion (BBC4 Thursday 10pm) which is The Most Likely Programme To Feature Alex Higgins Singing If I Knew You Were Coming I'd Have Baked A Cake Of The Week.

That's assuming they show this clip of him being interviewed with Jimmy White during the 1986 World Doubles by Dickie Davies (skip to 2.47). The Hospitality at that tournament must have been good ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

RUSH are a ****ing amazing band. Extremely talented musicians.

<snip>
    1.35am The Secret Science Of Pop (BBC4)
    Evolutionary biologist Professor Armand Leroi gathers a team of scientists and researchers to analyse more than 50 years of UK chart music. When the results are in, Armand teams up with producer Trevor Horn. Using machine-learning techniques, they try to take a song by unsigned artist Nike Jemiyo and turn it into a potential chart-topper. Poor enough, I thought. He seemed more interested in making provocative claims than explaining the technical matters behind his claims.
    </snip>
    --(Your independent comment?) Good to know - that would annoy me in the same way that the 'Dragons' on 'Dragons' Den' gloss over the technical aspects of the few interesting products they're presented :pac:
    2am Autopsy: Elvis Presley (Virgin Media 3)
    Not sure what this is about, sure Elvis is alive and well
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Slim Pickens (see what I did there) this week Skid, but thanks anyway.

Loved watching Alex playing back in the day, didn't see him embarrass himself on TV like that though, Jimmy was into a few jars and a bit of powder (ALLEGEDLY) after a match but by that stage Alex was "thoroughly newscasted"* before the matches began. To be able to play as he did given what he was up to at that stage was an achievement.

* see 0:56 :)

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

Friday
    7.48pm Jim Of The Mill (TG4)
    A celebration of an unusual rural Tipperary pub that only opens once a week. Locals and many more from further afield fill the idyllic rural house for a mighty musical session each Thursday evening.

8pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Joe Strummer (Sky Arts)
    Shane MacGowan and former manager Frank Murray discuss Joe Strummer's career after leaving the Clash, looking at his time with the Pogues and his appearance in Alex Cox''s 1987 Spaghetti Western parody Straight to Hell. Featuring archive interviews with Strummer, who died in 2002

8.30pm Music Icons - The Grateful Dead (Sky Arts)

9pm & 2.05am Primal Scream - The Lost Memphis Tapes (BBC4) New!
    The discovery of the band's missing tracks, laid down in Memphis' Ardent Studios in 1993, but subsequently mislaid. The band later re-recorded the songs with a new producer, and they were incorporated into their 1994 album Give Out But Don't Give Up, meaning the originals were left unreleased. With previously unreleased footage of behind-the-scenes studio sessions, this is the story of how the original mix tapes of the album were rediscovered in a basement by Andrew Innes, Primal Scream's rhythm guitarist
    https://www.nme.com/news/music/primal-scream-original-memphis-recordings-2370474

10pm Reggar Fever: David Rodigan (BBC4) New!
    The life of the German-born reggae broadcaster and radio presenter whose love affair with Jamaican music began in the 1950s, celebrating a man whose career is strangely intertwined with not only the evolution of such music in this country, but also the evolution of the culture.
    https://twitter.com/iburrell/status/1060480053660827649

11pm Reggae at the BBC (BBC4)
    featuring footage from programmes including Top of the Pops, Old Grey Whistle Test and Later with Jools Holland. Acts include Bob Marley & the Wailers, Gregory Isaacs, Desmond Dekker, Burning Spear, Althea & Donna, Dennis Brown and Buju Banton

Saturday
    10pm & 2.15am The Kinks - Echoes Of A World (Sky Arts) New!
    The story of 1968 album The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society, which failed to chart upon release but went on to become one of the most influential works in rock
    https://www.sky.com/watch/channel/sky-arts/the-kinks-echoes-of-a-world

11.30pm Guitar Heroes at the BBC (BBC4)
    Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, David Bowie, Motorhead, Nazareth, AC/DC, George Thorogood, Michael Chapman, Horslips and Paco de Lucia

11.30pm The British Invasion - The Small Faces (Sky Arts)
    Clips and Interviews

12.30am A Shot of Whisky (Sky Arts)
    The story of Los Angeles rock venue Whisky a Go Go, featuring classic archive performances by the likes of Led Zeppelin, the Doors and Janis Joplin as well as interviews

Sunday
    1.10pm Soundbreaking
    Ep 1/8 The Recording Artist . Repeat of the documentary series tracing the history of music recording, beginning with a look at the production work of George Martin, Phil Spector, Rick Rubin, Joni Mitchell and Prince

9pm The Who Sensation - The Story of Tommy (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the background, creation and impact of the Who's 1969 double album Tommy, featuring interviews with Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey and John Entwistle

10.15pm The Who: Tommy Live at The Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)
    A concert from 2017 in which the band perform their rock opera Tommy in its entirety for the first time, with tracks including The Acid Queen and Pinball Wizard

11.45pm The Rolling Stones: Sticky Fingers Live At The Fonda Theatre (Sky Arts)
    A 2015 performance by the veteran band in Hollywood, California, performing their 1971 album in its entirety

As always, thank you so much Skid for your weekly listings - it can't be said enough how great they are! :D

Great to see some new stuff....finally!! I'd given up in recent weeks as it was just repeats that I'd seen loads of times before. Really looking forward to the above (even though I've seen some of it before), especially the shows with Shane MacGowan and The Kinks. Jim of the Mill and that Primal Scream doc look great too, and with a healthy dose of reggae and rock, that's my weekend sorted! :cool:

One of my favourite sketches from Not The Nine O'Clock News! :pac: Great show, must be due a repeat on some channel soon as it's been years since the Beeb repeated it.

‘Sweet Freedom’ by Michael McDonald...ah yeah!

:o:o:D

• Advertisement

Nearly all these songs (plus those in the Top 40) feature on the first ever Now! Compilation I bought, Now! 8 :)

https://www.nowmusic.com/album/now-thats-what-i-call-music-8/

Advertisement