Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,659 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Have Rush split for good then, are just quit touring?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

Straight To Hell is a movie of it's time, you would never be able to make it today. It's very rough around the edges and the actors are not scrubbed up to the nines like you would see today. It's very rough and ready, no Oscar winning performances here. However, if you like the people involved, it's worth a look - just don't expect it to make sense at all..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

‘Give Out But Don’t Give Up’ has always left me cold...too overproduced, too much of a Rolling Stones parody, hence the new ‘lost’ album.

Any love on here for ‘Vanishing Point’?

It's their masterpiece for sure.

I never get tired of listening to Kowalski.

Love that Can sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Just reading Director Alex Cox's memories of Straight To Hell, worth a look.

That tour of Nicaragua would have been interesting, also Alex Cox could have directed The Three Amigos, but he chose Straight To Hell instead.

http://www.alexcox.com/dir_straighttohell.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I hadn't seen Time Stand Still documentary before, really enjoyed it. Neil, what a drummer, playing on when his feet and hands were in bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I think they are finished for good. They kicked arse for 40+ years. Brilliant live aswell.

I went out for a stroll earlier and I listened to Counterparts from 1993. Lifesons solo on Cut to the Chase is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Alex Cox also directed this.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    It's their masterpiece for sure.

I never get tired of listening to Kowalski.

Love that Can sample.

Love this, absolute classic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

sligojoek wrote: »
    Alex Cox also directed this.

...........and it was banned by the BBC for the scene where Spider spits at the poster of Margaret Thatcher.....which seems to have been edited out of the video in that link......

On a side note, there was some seriously f**ked up music videos made in the 1980's.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Sorry for the late post....

A documentary about the Kinks album The Village Green Preservation Society is on now on Sky Arts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

Brown Eyes is a prime example. Fantastic song that doesn't need a video. So I gave the walls a talking. Music videos were a phenomenal waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Skid X wrote: »
    10.15pm The Who: Tommy Live at The Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)
    A concert from 2017 in which the band perform their rock opera Tommy in its entirety for the first time, with tracks including The Acid Queen and Pinball Wizard

I think Daltrey did Tommy Live, start to end, when he played Marlay about 10 years ago, with Townshend's son in the band, iirc. I remember him asking people in the tent to stop smoking near him, but most kept on smoking.

Richard Coles looks non-plussed here, with everyone else on stage having a great time.

I wonder if he bangs out this one on the Church Organ every now and then, just for old times sake?
    We're still talking music here, right?

Hello, we have some new shows coming up this weekend (which is nice) - there is a cracking looking show about Suede on Sky Arts, A new John Lennon Doc on Channel 4 and a thing about David Cassidy on BBC4.

The Lennon one promises unseen footage, they don't seen to have a trailer for it surprisingly. The David Cassidy Doc looks a bit grim, as he is approaching his death while it is filmed. None of that with Suede (although some say they died when Bernard Butler left) ...

Thursday
    9pm Pop Goes Northern Ireland (BBC2 NI)

9.30pm The Irish Post Awards (TG4)
    They are giving a Lifetime Achievement Award to The Script, not sure what else is in it

11pm Urban Myths - Bob Dylan (Sky Arts)
    Music legend Bob Dylan decides to pay an impromptu visit to his friend and fellow musician Dave Stewart, but he accidentally ends up at the wrong house. starring Eddie Marsan, Paul Ritter and Katherine Parkinson "Funniest 20 minutes of tv I've seen all year. " says someone here http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/urban-myths-bob-dylan-sky-arts.676878/

12.30am Tunes For Tyrants: Music and Power (BBC4)
    Ep 2/3 Dictatorship The use of music by totalitarian states in the 1930s, when Adolf Hitler and Josef Stalin manipulated it to suit their own ideologies and composers came under extraordinary pressure. With Suzy Klein

2.30am British Invasion - The Small Faces (Sky Arts)
    Interviews and Archive Performances

Friday
    8am The South Bank Show Originals - Willie Nelson (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & 12.30am Top Of The Pops 1986 - October 9 (BBC4)
    Gary Davies and Simon Mayo host the edition first aired on October 9. Performers include the Bangles, Nick Berry, Julian Cope, Paul Hardcastle, Howard Jones, Madonna and Paul Simon

8pm & 3am The Live Lounge Show (BBC4) New!
    New series. Clara Amfo focuses on the best of British talent appearing on Radio 1's Live Lounge. Performers include Jess Glynne, Hozier,** Rita Ora, Bastille & Marshmello, Twenty One Pilots and Blossoms ** I didn't write this, Hozier is one of ours.

8pm & 3.15am Video Killed The Radio Star - Neil Young (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Music Icons - James Taylor (Sky Arts)

9pm David Cassidy - The Last Session (BBC4) New!
    Candid biography exploring the life of the '70s pop idol and TV star, including never-before-heard audio interviews with David from 1976 and a raw and poignantly filmed final recording session shortly before his death in November 2017. Cassidy's role as singer Keith Partridge in US sitcom The Partridge Family brought fame and fortune and made him a global teen sensation. This documentary tells the inside story of his explosive rise to fame, his conflicted relationship with his father and his own celebrity and the legacy he has left behind.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/david-cassidy-talks-alcoholism-dementia-in-last-session-clip-629432/

10pm Beach Boys: Good Vibrations Tour (Sky Arts)
    1976 Concert

10.25pm CMA Awards 2018 (BBC4)
    Bob Harris introduces the best bits from country music's biggest night of the year, the 52nd annual CMA Awards from the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville.

11pm The Kinks - Echoes Of A World (Sky Arts)
    The story of 1968 album The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society, which failed to chart upon release but went on to become one of the most influential works in rock

11.25pm Our Musical History - Country and Beyond With The Shires (BBC4)
    Country duo Ben Earle and Crissie Rhodes reveal the songs that shaped their musical journey. Includes tracks by Dolly Parton,Patsy Cline, Shania Twain and Glen Campbell.

12.25am Country at the BBC (BBC4)
    A compilation of BBC session performances by country artists from the past four decades, including Tammy Wynette, Emmylou Harris, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Charley Pride, Kris Kristofferson, Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, Alison Krauss, Taylor Swift, KD lang and Billie Jo Spears

12.25am Film: David Brent - A Life On The Road (BBC1)

12.30am The Who: Tommy Live At The Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)
    A concert from 2017 in which the band perform their rock opera Tommy in its entirety for the first time, with tracks including The Acid Queen and Pinball Wizard

2am The Who: Sensation - The Story Of Tommy (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the background, creation and impact of the Who's 1969 double album Tommy, featuring interviews with Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey and John Entwistle

2am Depeche Mode at the BBC (BBC4)
    A look back at past performances by the band, who emerged from the UK's post-punk scene over three decades ago. From their first appearance on Top of the Pops in 1981 to performing on Later with Jools Holland in 2009, this programme shares archive testimony and recent interviews from core members Dave Gahan, Vince Clarke, Martin Gore and Andy Fletcher. New Life, Just Can't Get Enough, Blasphemous Rumours and Personal Jesus are among some of the classic hits performed

3.45am Beat Beat Beat - The Small Faces (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    5.30pm Urban Myths - Bob Dylan (Sky Arts)
    As Thursday

7pm Elvis and The Girl From Vienna (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about Elvis Presley's former secretary Trude Forsher, who reveals the inside story of the singer's journey to becoming a global superstar

7pm TOTP2 - The 60s (Yesterday)
    Two Hours of 60s TOTP

8pm Pulp Live at Brixton Academy (Sky Arts)

8.30pm John and Yoko: Above Us Only Sky (Channel 4) New!
    The untold story of John Lennon's album Imagine, released in 1971, exploring how the art, politics and music of the pair are intrinsically entwined. Featuring interviews with Yoko Ono, Julian Lennon, David Bailey, John Dunbar), Dan Richter and Eddie Veale, some of whom have never spoken publicly on film before, as well as never-seen-before footage of Lennon and Ono from their private archive
    https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/john-lennon-yoko-ono-imagine-above-us-only-sky-documentary-1202931788/

9pm Suede: The Insatiable Ones (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary offering a thematic exploration of a band who opened the door for Britpop and led the way for a new era of guitar bands

9pm Evita: The Making Of A Superstar (BBC2)
    Suzy Klein (who is on everything recently) travels deep into the world of musical theatre and the colourful landscapes of Argentina, to discover the story behind one of the West End's most celebrated characters.

10pm Meat Loaf: In And Out Of Hell (Yesterday)
    A profile of the rock star's life and career, reflecting on the music that propelled him to fame and charting his journey from an overweight, bullied child to his larger-than-life persona and icon status.

10.30pm BBC Radio 2 In Concert - Emeli Sande (BBC4)
    A performance by the Brit Award-winning artist at the BBC Radio Theatre in London, recorded last week and featuring songs from Our Version of Events and Long Live the Angels

11.15pm Suede Live At The Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)
    The band's 2010 reunion concert for the Teenage Cancer Trust charity, featuring performances of Animal Nitrate, The Drowners, So Young and Metal Mickey. It's on Youtube, I enjoyed it a lot

11.30pm David Cassidy - The Last Session (BBC4)
    As Friday

12.55am Top Of The Pops 1986 - October 9 (BBC4)
    As Friday

1.15am Manic Street Preachers Live At Nynex (Sky Arts)
    The band's concert at Manchester's Nynex Arena on 24 May, 1997, featuring Motown Junk, Motorcycle Emptiness, Australia, A Design for Life and You Love Us

3.15am The Doors: Feast Of Friends (Sky Arts)
    The Doors' 1968 self-produced documentary film offering a cinematic look at the band on the road during their summer tour

Sunday
    4pm Disney's Broadway Hits (Sky Arts)
    John Barrowman hosts a celebration of Broadway shows produced by Disney, featuring songs from Beauty and the Beast, Aida, The Lion King and more. From London's Royal Albert Hall

7pm Junior Eurovision - The Final (TG4)
    This year's winner, 14-year-old Taylor Hynes from Blanchardstown, Dublin, represents Ireland with his self-written song at the contest in Belarus. Good luck to Taylor
    https://junioreurovision.tv/participant/taylor-hynes
    Minsk is twinned with 18 cities, but none in Ireland. Nottingham is the nearest Minskibling town to here.

8pm & 2.30am Jazzology with Soweto Kinch (BBC4)
    The saxophonist presents a personal journey into the political and spiritual history of jazz, meeting and playing with musicians in New Orleans, New York and London. He discovers the music's roots in America's racial history, from slaves keeping their African musical traditions alive to 20th-century African Americans striving to express themselves in the face of racism and segregation.

8.30pm Pat Shortt's Music From D'Telly (RTE1)
    Featuring archive performances by John Martyn, Paddy Reilly, Emmylou Harris, Eleanor McEvoy and Mary Black, plus a 1960s report on the perils of underage dancing in Limerick

9pm BBC Young Jazz Musician - The Final (BBC4)
    Josie d'Arby and saxophonist and composer YolanDa Brown present the final of BBC Young Jazz Musician.
    (It's not called Young Jazz Musician of The Year as the competition is held every two years)

9pm Mumford & Sons - Live From South Africa: Dust and Thunder (Sky Arts)
    2016 Concert

9.30pm Tradfest TG4 (TG4) New!
    New series. Doireann Ni Ghlacain introduces performances recorded live at TradFest in Dublin City, including Mick O'Brien, Ciara Ni Bhriain, Mark Kelly and Seamus Begley

10.30pm Bosca Ceoil (TG4)
    Lumiere performs with Barry Kerr, and other acts include Johnny Og Connolly and Brian McGrath, and Donal McCague and the Damien Mullane Trio

11pm Mumford & Sons - We Wrote This Yesterday (Sky Arts)
    Documentary following the collaborative processes during the band's 2016 tour of South Africa, when they teamed up with an esteemed collection of musical partners

11pm Rich Hall's Countrier Than You (BBC4)
    The American comedian, writer and musician explores the early origins of country music in Nashville and Austin. He visits the rustic studios where this much-loved sound was born and discovers how this genre of music has reinvented itself with influences from bluegrass, western swing and Americana. Rich examines how the music industries differ between these two cities and how they generated their own distinct twist on the genre - such as cosmic country, redneck country and the outlaw artists of the 1970s

12.15am Elvis and The Girl From Vienna (Sky Arts)
    As Saturday

12.30am Lucy Worsley: Mozart's London Symphony (BBC4)
    The broadcaster traces the forgotten story of the young Mozart's adventures in Georgian London. Arriving in 1764 as an eight year old boy, She also reveals how his experiences in London inspired his achievements

1.15am Beach Boys: Good Vibrations Tour (Sky Arts)
    1976 Concert, like it was when it was broadcast on Friday

So there you are, hopefully there's something there of interest to you. If there's anything else going on do let us know

Not related to anything on the television but here's a nice story from Mike Batt who wrote the Wombles theme (and Bright Eyes and the theme to Snooker's Big Break and lots of other things)

https://twitter.com/Mike_Batt/status/1061200234104176642

Finally, the best Kanye West performance of the week might be this one, as featured in South Park (Comedy Central Extra Friday 11pm)

Apparently his Girlfriend is a Hobbit

He reacted like the egotistical maniac he is, as expected

https://pitchfork.com/news/35046-kanye-west-responds-to-south-park/

Sidebaawwr, as Tubbs would say.

Skid, I think I mentioned this before. Every Wednesday night or Thursday morning, I'd copy and paste some of your post to a close friend of mine who shared similar musical interests. If he didn't get the update by lunchtime thursday I'd get a bollocking.

Sadly last Thursday was the last one. We saw him off last night carried to the hearse to Rory's "A million miles away".

RIP Gerry (|Swampy)

sligojoek wrote: »
    Sidebaawwr, as Tubbs would say.

Skid, I think I mentioned this before. Every Wednesday night or Thursday morning, I'd copy and paste some of your post to a close friend of mine who shared similar musical interests. If he didn't get the update by lunchtime thursday I'd get a bollocking.

Sadly last Thursday was the last one. We saw him off last night carried to the hearse to Rory's "A million miles away".

RIP Gerry (|Swampy)

Ah no, very sorry to hear that, joe.

I do remember you saying that before, it was nice to hear.

You certainly picked a fine song for his final journey. RIP Gerry.

Ah no, very sorry to hear that, joe.

I do remember you saying that before, it was nice to hear.

His brother certainly picked a fine song for his final journey. RIP Gerry.

Seamie O Dowd and Keith O Donnell (Look them up) played Rory , Lizzy and Horslips stuff all evening at a humanist ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bob Harris introduces the best bits from country music's biggest night of the year

That shouldn't take long.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

‘Walk Like An Egyptian’!

Evening, Susannah :)

My god :eek:

Acid house can’t arrive quick enough!

WORLD SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

AH YEAH! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I really like this Cope concert footage snippet - getting even more value from his custom mikestand (and the floor) here!

I think the full concert is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKNWhNGPs9E

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cope's Floored Genius is one of my favourite CDs.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Cope's Floored Genius is one of my favourite CDs.
    Must have a listen to the songs I haven't been exposed to on that list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

An hour in to this David Cassidy thing I'm watching it out of interest as he seemed like a decent fella and was huge star...but there hasn't been a single song played yet and I actually couldn't name a single one he recorded.

dasdog wrote: »
    An hour in to this David Cassidy thing I'm watching it out of interest as he seemed like a decent fella and was huge star...but there hasn't been a single song played yet and I actually couldn't name a single one he recorded.

The only song of his I can bring to mind is 'I Think I Love You', only because it was later covered by Voice Of The Beehive in 1991.

I wouldn't normally trouble this thread with news of the Ray Darcy Show (Saturday Night, RTE1) but this might be of interest

"Dublin rock photographer Ruth Medjber offers a glimpse of her Ruthless - A Decade of Live Music Photography exhibition, which showcases some of the most famous music icons she's photographed, including Beyoncé, Leonard Cohen and Grace Jones."

https://www.joe.ie/music/music-photography-exhibition-dublin-ruth-medjber-644814

Great opening line

This Lennon thing on Channel 4 is basically lots of (mostly unseen) footage of the recording sessions of the Imagine Album, with the occasional contribution from someone who was there.

Worth a look for any Lennonites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OldRio

Yoko 'singing'. Words fail me.

• Advertisement

I am enjoying this Suede thing on Sky Arts a lot, although the Director seems to cut the shot every two seconds which is blinding.

It's repeated next weekend.

Advertisement