Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,658 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

F**K that person who wrote that. F**k them in the ear. :p

For the full Erasure story, play at 16.58... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

Living for the city (citeeaaah). BBC4 is showing something quality for the first time in two weeks. Not sure about the Nixon song (Mr Know it all).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

Gogglebox occurring now. Think the format is getting numbed down to contemporary interrupt can't play a bit of music for more than 30 seconds. Attn span, spotify, such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I thought The Proclaimers Story on BBC4 was very good earlier. I didn't know Gerry Rafferty produced Letter From America.

More Identical Twin Pop Doc antics coming soon on BBC4 when they have a programme about the Bros Reunion. Not even joking about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Skid X wrote: »
    I thought The Proclaimers Story on BBC4 was very good earlier. I didn't know Gerry Rafferty produced Letter From America.
    <Brosnip>:P</Brosnip>
    Yes, saw it on Vimeo or YouTube recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

More Identical Twin Pop Doc antics coming soon on BBC4 when they have a programme about the Bros Reunion. Not even joking about that.

There's a docu-film thing about to be released about them. I'd watch documentaries about anything and anyone but this looks dreadful! :p

There's a docu-film thing about to be released about them. I'd watch documentaries about anything and anyone but this looks dreadful! :p

Yeah, that's the one - 4/5 in The Guardian and coming to BBC Four at Christmas. Not really something anyone wanted but maybe there is something in it

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/nov/11/bros-after-screaming-stops-review-sly-documentary

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/xmas18tv/bbcfour

There's also a new Fleetwood Mac Doc coming ... not sure what hasn't been said about them in similar programmes but there it is

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2018/51/fleetwood-mac-a-musical-history

R.E.M. On BBC Four right now.

Forgot about ‘Bad Day’...great song :)

Leaving New York wonderfully poignant song

*looks up poignant to see if it's what I mean - think so* :P

Hi, every channel likes an anniversary as an excuse for scheduling, so Sky has more new John Lennon programming this weekend, with bonus Julian Lennon for good measure. Also another chance to see the Concert for George on Sky

BBC Four must be saving all the new stuff for Christmas but they have two Roy Orbison shows and RTE2 has a very late night Bowie Doc, the most recent in the Five Years series. Plus exciting news for fans of Chas n Dave n Barbra Streisand ...

Thursday
    7am The South Bank Show Originals - Tom Jones (Sky Arts)
    Interview from 2000

11am Cambridge Folk Festival 2017 (Sky Arts)
    Part 1 Presented by Mark Radcliffe, I hope BBC4 don't find out he is moonlighting

4pm Cambridge Folk Festival 2017 (Sky Arts)
    Part 2

9pm The Foster and Allen Show (TG4)
    S3 Ep4/12 Presented by Gloria Hunniford

10pm Pop Goes Northern Ireland (BBC2 NI)

10pm The Legendary Bing Crosby (Sky Arts)

11.15pm Happy Holidays With Bing And Frank (Sky Arts)
    1957 Frank Sinatra Show Special

11.30pm Roy Orbison: Love Hurts (BBC4)
    Thirty years since the singer's death, another chance to see this documentary revealing his legacy as a beloved rock legend and a devoted father through intimate interviews with his three sons. Alex, Roy Jr and Wesley Orbison discuss the immense talent and fierce determination that provided the driving force behind their father's success and how his family life offered a strong spiritual base to escape the pressures of the rock n roll lifestyle. Another Roy Doc tomorrow.

11.45pm Andy Williams: Happy Holidays (Sky Arts)

2am Nat King Cole: Afraid Of The Dark (Sky Arts)
    Doc

Friday
    7.30pm & 1.30am Top Of The Pops 1986 - October 30th (BBC4)
    Janice Long presents the pop chart programme, first broadcast on October 30. Featuring performances by Mel & Kim, Berlin, Catherine Stock, Gwen Guthrie, Bon Jovi, Kim Wilde, Nick Berry and Status Quo

7.30pm A Little Bit Showband (RTE1)
    Presented by Ronan Collins. No further details to hand

8pm & 1.30am The Live Lounge Show (BBC4)
    Feat the 1975, Mumford & Sons, Ellie Goulding, Rudimental, Tom Walker and Jorja Smith. Last in the series

8pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Prince (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Music Icons - Joni Mitchell (Sky Arts)

9pm Barbra Streisand: Becoming An Icon 1942-1984 (BBC4) New!
    Documentary charts her rise to stardom and the remarkable achievements of her early career
    https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/hcn79f/barbra-streisand-becoming-an-icon-1942-1984--barbra-streisand-becoming-an-icon-1942-1984/

10pm Julian Lennon: Through The Picture Window (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary exploring the career of the singer-songwriter, who emerged from the formidable shadow cast by his father John to become a Grammy-nominated artist
    Trailer

10pm A Musical History - Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music (BBC4)
    Some people sitting watching Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music footage, sometimes making interesting observations but often interrupting the music at the wrong time

11pm Tom Jones' 1950s: The Decade That Made Me (BBC4)
    The veteran singer provides a first-hand guide to his formative years in a small mining community in south Wales, revealing how he - much like many people of his generation - turned to TV, movies, radio and music to find a voice for himself. Revisiting Treforest and Pontypridd, where he spent his childhood and teenage years, Tom recalls his joy when rationing finally ended, his encounter with American GIs stationed near his home, and the arrival of rock `n' roll and the `Teddy Boys'.

11.45pm There We Were - Now Here We Are: The Making Of Oasis (Sky Arts)

Midnight Roy Orbison: One Of The Lonely Ones (BBC4)
    Biography of the singer and musician, casting new light on the triumphs and tragedies that beset his career, featuring performances and home movies, and providing an insight into Orbison's remote Texas childhood and his battles to get his voice heard. This film reveals how his rollercoaster life was often reflected in the dark lyrics of his songs, from success to rejection, and rediscovery in the 1980s with the Travelling Wilburys supergroup. Featuring interviews with Jeff Lynne, T Bone Burnett, Bobby Goldsboro and Marianne Faithfull

12.35am The Windmill Lane Sessions (TG4)
    With Declan O'Rourke, the Beau Motives and Brian Kennedy

1am Oasis: Live By The Sea (Sky Arts)
    1995 Concert

2.15am Oasis Live At Barrowlands (Sky Arts)
    2001 Concert

2.50am David Bowie - The Last Five Years (RTE2)
    A portrait of David Bowie, told by the people who knew him best - his friends and artistic collaborators. It also takes a detailed look at his last albums The Next Day and Blackstar, and his play Lazarus. Through the prism of this last work, the film shows how, in his final five years, Bowie not only began producing music again but returned to the core and defining themes of his career. Among the contributors are Tony Visconti, Gail Ann Dorsey, Toni Basil and Michael C Hall
    https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/10-things-we-learned-from-david-bowie-the-last-five-years-122473/

3.30am Video Killed The Radio Star - Oasis (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    6.30am The Movie Music Of Spike Lee (Sky Arts)
    Concert of Spike Lee's Film Scores, for your breakfast

11am Johnny Cash Christmas Special 1977 (Sky Arts)

3.05pm TOTP2 Christmas 2014 (GOLD)

3.10pm Peter Blake: Pop Art Life (Sky Arts)
    Doc about your man who designed the Sergeant Pepper Cover

4.10pm The Beatles: Hippies and Hells Angels (Sky Arts)
    Shenanigans going on in Apple, the Beatles' Record Label

6.10pm-9pm Concert for George (Sky Arts)
    A special tribute concert for George Harrison filmed at the Royal Albert Hall, and featuring surviving Beatles Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Ravi Shankar, Jools Holland and George's son Dhani sing renditions of hits including Taxman and My Sweet Lord. The first half is very Indian, then it rocks out
    Trailer

7pm TOTP2 Christmas 2013 (Yesterday)

9pm Looking For Lennon (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary about the early life of John Lennon and the tragedies that shaped his personality and his music. With contributions by some of his closest family and associates http://wogew.blogspot.com/2018/05/looking-for-lennon-docu-available-in-uk.htm
    Trailer

9pm Chas and Dave's Christmas Knees Up! (Yesterday)
    In a Christmas special first broadcast in 1982, Cockney music duo Chas Hodges and Dave Peacock entertain an audience of Londoners in a replica of an East End pub, performing festive tunes as well as songs including Ain't No Pleasing You, Goodnight Irene and Wish I Could Write a Love Song. They are joined by guitarists Eric Clapton and Albert Lee, comedians Jimmy Cricket and Jim Davidson and singer Lennie Peters
    It's all here, Gertcha!

10pm Guitar Heroes at the BBC (Yesterday)

10.20pm Barbra Streisand: Becoming An Icon 1942-1984 (BBC4)

11pm The Art of Drumming (Sky Arts)

Ep 1

11.20pm Top Of The Pops 1986 - October 30th (BBC4)
    As Friday

11.55pm Guitar Heroes at the BBC (BBC4)
    Not the same one that was on earlier today on Yesterday

Midnight Na Baleid (TG4)

12.15am The Art Of Drumming (Sky Arts)
    Ep 2, concludes tomorrow

1.30am Video Killed The Radio Star - Blondie (Sky Arts)

2am The Agony & The Ecstacy (Sky Arts)
    Dance and Rave Doc Ep 1/3

Sunday
    1pm-4.30pm Elvis: The Early Years (True Entertainment)
    2005 Miniseries starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers

4.30pm Hank Williams: The Show He Never Gave (True Entertainment)
    Country singer Hank Williams prepares to perform a concert on what will turn out to be the last night of his life. As he is driven to the gig, he imagines the show he would like to put on, in which he performs in a small bar and shares his personal philosophy with the crowd. Fact-based 1980 drama, starring Sneezy Waters and Dixie Seatle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cFd9eLqaTU

8.30pm Pat Shortt's Music From D'Telly (RTE1)
    Featuring an infamous 1987 report on Dublin's nightclub scene, and performances by Mary Black, Hal Ketchum, Brendan O'Dowda, Don McLean, Pat Kenny and the Mavericks

9pm The Making Of Marc Bolan (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story of how East End boy Mark Feld became a glam rock superstar as the frontman of T. Rex. Featuring contributions from friends, family and well-known fans
    I don't see that online but Marc features in this rare one, 'London Rock' from 1970 with some other familiar faces

9.30pm Tradfest TG4 (TG4)
    Featuring Frankie Gavin, Emma Corbett and Martin Murray, Nell Ni Chroinin, Ronan Galvin and Youenn Bothorel.

10pm The Art Of Drumming (Sky Arts)
    Ep 3

10.30pm Bosca Ceoil (TG4)
    The Alan Kelly Gang open the show and are joined on stage by Neil Martin, Steve Wall and Jimmy Higgins. Also in the line-up are Raw Bar Collective, Peter and Angelina Carberry with Brian Mooney, the West Ocean String Quartet, and Pol & Caitriona O Ceannabhain

11.15pm The Art Of Drumming (Sky Arts)
    Ep 4

12.30am My View - Clem Burke (Sky Arts)
    The Blondie drummer reflects on his career, from his first-ever drum lesson through to touring the world. Featuring contributions by Debbie Harry and Annie Lennox
    Trailer

1.30am The Agony & The Ecstacy (Sky Arts)
    Part 3

2.30am The Agony & The Ecstacy (Sky Arts)
    The Afterparty. I don't know much about this but here's World In Action Report from 1990 to warn you about these dangerous new Rave things

Elsewhere Netflix has added a few new shows, namely

- Who Shot The Sherrif?: about the 1976 attempt on Bob Marlay's life

- Tricky Dicky and The Man In Black: When Johnny Cash met President Richard Nixon, and

Springsteen on Broadway - a new solo show for Bruce. Probably not called Bruce on Broadway (launching December 16th)

Finally The Long Awaited Return Of Legendary Folksters Mulligan and O'Hare is promised tonight (Wednesday) on Vic and Bob's Big Night Out (BBC4, 10pm)

• Advertisement

Best two-note guitar solo ever!

RIP

The Stock Aitken Waterman era begins.

*shudder*

The Duran Duran fans must have been gutted in ‘86 when they found out both Dennis Taylor and Tim Brooke-Taylor had left the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

This is probably one of the last times I lost the plot in ecstasy cos Duran were on. Another few months it was Smiths and Cure and "Duran who? " Ironic thing being Notorious is one of the best things they ever did, certainly better than "Wild Boys" which was just a steaming heap.

The Duran Duran fans must have been gutted in ‘86 when they found out both Dennis Taylor and Tim Brooke-Taylor had left the group.
    Actually, as long as Nick (I won't be caught dead without my eyeliner, pretentious moi?) Rhodes and John (platonic form of male beauty) Taylor were still in the group, this Duranie didn't care

Oh dear, had been looking forward to this Roxy Music doc. Thought it was gonna be a bio with some band interviews interspersed with some tracks. Just had Virginia Plain ruined by someone talking all over it telling me how innovative and timeless they were.
    I know! That's why I wanna hear them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OldRio

Hon Roxy.

First time I've watched this series. 'Shut the feck up'

Beavis 'n' Butthead meets Mystery Theatre 3000 :P

• Advertisement

Not even Bryan Ferrycan prevent that ubiquitous 70s sofa from inducing vomit.

Chris Spedding on lead guitar on Ferry's solo stuff.

Tony Levin on bass? I did not know that.

How recent was the session that featured at the end?

Looking at the line up I'd guess sometime after 2007.
    I saw Ferry in concert in Vicar Street that year and it looked like the same musicians. Give or take.

I was dragged along by the wife and it was one of the best gigs I've been to in my sixty odd years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Paula season 1 (bbc)
    added today

Just watched the Roxy Music documentary - great stuff :)

Not enough songs about making love to blow-up dolls nowadays...over to you, George Ezra :D

New Paul Heaton Doc on Channel 4 late night Tuesday (early Wednesday)

https://twitter.com/PaulHeatonSolo/status/1071011092271378433

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

New Paul Heaton Doc on Channel 4 late night Tuesday (early Wednesday)

https://twitter.com/PaulHeatonSolo/status/1071011092271378433
    What is it with these lads from 'up north' and their anorak / rainjackets? Do they ever come off?

• Advertisement

^^^
    It's grim Up North!

It's fecking cold though. Did 3 years in West Yorkshire lad, I have not one memory of a sunny day. I'm sure there was one but I don't remember it.

Advertisement