Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,658 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

So Donovan could be partly to blame for ‘Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da’?

We won’t hold it against him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Old Grey Whistle Test 70s special atm. A mixed bag so far. Enjoying it so far. New York Dolls just now. Hoping for some Eno era Roxy so I can see him play his oscillator wearing long dress gloves.

Oh goody! Just what I wanted. How can a band be so weird yet so good? Sadly a gloveless Eno.

Remember the Cark band Rubyhorse?

George Harrison played slide guitar on their album (one of his last ever recordings)...

How did that come about, do you know.? It's some credit to have on the album sleeve, isn't it?

• Advertisement

Why did so many musicians dress as though they were in crisis in the 70s?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    How did that come about, do you know.? It's some credit to have on the album sleeve, isn't it?

Even die-hard Beatles fans on the interwebs are puzzled. It does seem strange, considering George hadn’t recorded anything since the ‘Anthology’ project and that Rubyhorse were barely known, even in Ireland.

Rubyhorse’s management sent Harrison the song with a request to play on it. Not only did he agree to do so, but he did it for union scale.

That is increliable! Amazing that they ever tried in the first place. You know, George had the reputation of being " a really lovely fella" as my Liverpudlian friend's Dad, who grew up near him, says.

I tend to think we kinda view them ( Beatles)through rose tinted specs in retrospect. But I think George really was just "a really lovely fella".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Nile Rodgers watch:

He just popped up on "The nation's favourite Elton John song" on VM3

Looking forward to the Rory Irish tour film tonight.

On another note. Great line up at the Rory fest this year. Bernie Marsden and Glenn Hughes with their respective bands.

• Advertisement

Rory Gallagher on TG4 right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Rory Gallagher on TG4 right now :)

This is pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,407 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone watch the Phil lynott doc which was on RTE tonight ??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Skid X wrote: »
    This is pure class.

Fella can play.

PTH2009 wrote: »

Nay, was it good?

I missed it, and the RTE Player wouldn't let me stream it for some reason.

But it's on again tomorrow at 3.15pm, I'll catch it then hopefully.

I missed it, and the RTE Player wouldn't let me stream it for some reason.
    The reason it wouldn't let you stream it is because it's shoite.

Buggery, I forgot about that doc. Gonna have to risk my blood pressure with the rte player tomorrow.

Cradle Rock :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Rory's albums are fairly patchy, but that is some live show he would put on, wish I'd a time machine :(

About 5 years ago a late friend of mine went to a screening of the Rory docu. It was in the Model art gallery in Sligo. Tony Palmer gave a talk beforehand and a meet and greet afterwards. I hadn't 30 euro to spare on that particular wednesday evening. I eventually got to watch it tonight with my 17yr old guitar playing daughter. Beats Mrs Browns Boys anyday for watching stuff with your kids.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Is that Daniel Radcliffe singing on Other Voices on RTE 2 now :eek:

A wonderful education about Jeff Beck last night on BBC4 - hadn't seen that documentary before. I knew he was a genius but also comes across as just a really nice guy.

I caught the repeat this afternoon.

Very enjoyable, they crammed a lot into the 30 minutes.

Surprised Dave Heffernan wasn't involved seeing as he produced the video for RTE's Anything Goes

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0518/789174-old-town/

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/phil-lynott-scealta-on-old-town-30006634/10981636/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

I caught the repeat this afternoon.

Very enjoyable, they crammed a lot into the 30 minutes.

Surprised Dave Heffernan wasn't involved seeing as he produced the video for RTE's Anything Goes

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0518/789174-old-town/

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/phil-lynott-scealta-on-old-town-30006634/10981636/

Yep, it was a brief history of Thin Lizzy and then the song. Enjoyed the piano piece, never really listened to it that way. And a kind of sad insight in to the mistiming on the railings of the ha'penny bridge and walking down the pier. I just about remember the interview Philo did on the Late Late show in that cream suit, I would have been six or seven, but being in total awe of his every word. I ended up buying all of their records in later years, learning their songs, knowing the words from all their albums. I would have loved to have seen them.

Very impressed by the Rory one last night too. He seemed to live and breathe music, enjoy just jamming and learning new things. I never got in to his sound but I really admire his acoustic playing and as above his live performances...just look at the crowd reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I do like most of Rory’s albums but it’s true, as for a lot of artists, he really only came truly alive on stage. Simple formula - drums, bass, rock god on lead guitar. Never got better than that. I was In Germany once and got drunk with a local guy who was remembering the anniversary of his death. He was a legend over there.

Happy New Year, BeebRockers

As Liam Clancy said to Bob Dylan

(In 2019)

No Fear

No Envy

No Meanness

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

For no reason whatsoever... :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

For no reason whatsoever... :D

One the watch later list.

Nile Rodgers watch

There he is on Jools.

*Extra literal Nile Rodgers watch*

His guitar strap actually says the words "Nile Rodgers" on it.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Nile Rodgers watch

There he is on Jools.

*Extra literal Nile Rodgers watch*

His guitar strap actually says the words "Nile Rodgers" on it.

Be the hokey, Donie is like the Skibbereen Eagle with the Nile Rodgers watch!

http://www.skibbereeneagle.ie/uncategorized/the-story-of-the-skibbereen-eagle/

Happy New Year, Amigo Have a great one

Advertisement