Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Lovely red Fender Precision Bass there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Big Fun, not nearly as much fun as Oops Up Side Your Head

• Registered Users Posts: 72,658 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

All about the drums tonight on BBC FOUR.

Let us salute the drummers of Spinal Tap. They all served... :D

John “Stumpy” Pepys (1964–1966) Died in a bizarre gardening accident, that the authorities said was “best left unsolved.”

Eric “Stumpy Joe” Childs (1966–1967) Choked on vomit of unknown origin, perhaps but not necessarily his own, because “you can’t really dust for vomit.”

Peter “James” Bond (1967–1977) Spontaneously combusted on stage during a jazz festival on the Isle of Lucy.

Mick Shrimpton (1977–1982) Exploded onstage.

Joe “Mama” Besser (1982) Claimed he “couldn’t take this 4/4 sh1t”; according to an MTV interview with Spinal Tap in November 1991, he disappeared along with the equipment during their Japanese tour. He is either dead or playing jazz.

Richard “Ric” Shrimpton (1982–1999) Allegedly sold his dialysis machine for drugs; presumed dead.

Sammy “Stumpy” Bateman (1999-2001) Died trying to jump over a tank full of sharks while on a tricycle in a freak show.

Scott “Skippy” Scuffleton (2001–2007) Fate unknown.

Chris “Poppa” Cadeau (2007–2008) Eaten by his pet python Cleopatra.

Plus 9 other drummers at various times (Probably between 1970 and 1981) all of whom are dead.

Chrissie Hynde wrote Don't Get Me Wrong for her buddy John McEnroe, who has played guitar on a Pretenders record and performed on stage with them.

John McEnroe is married to Pattie Smyth who had a number of hits including Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough with Don Henley. She refuses to let McEnroe perfrom with her.

By far and away, my favourite song of all time called ‘C’est La Vie’.

Sorry, B*Witched.

• Advertisement

That Spitting Image puppet of Phil Collins :D

That Genesis Spitting Image video still looks class, unlike the Jackie Wilson plasticine crap.

Watching this Drumming thing, it turns out Ringo is Left Handed. I didn't know that.

So that's 50% of the Beatles are lefties, and all of the ones still kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Skid X wrote: »
    Watching this Drumming thing, it turns out Ringo is Left Handed. I didn't know that.

So that's 50% of the Beatles are lefties, and all of the ones still kicking.
    Ah now, I think John could be described as bit of a leftie too

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Ah now, I think John could be described as bit of a leftie too

:D

I once saw a Beatles tribute act where 'Paul' was right handed. It looked all wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

April 5th 1980 The Undertones at the Baymount - photo taken in Sligo during a stop in Strandhill area.

49794551_2433953479966782_8265019916625641472_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=f080088bdd3ab65e0b7a3954ef5e8d59&oe=5CC4EEC9

April 5th 1980 - The Undertones
    April 13th 1980 - Thin Lizzy
    April 16th 1980 - Rory Gallagher

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

^^^^
    Check out those rock n roll threads! They look like extras in a Scandinavian noir in those jumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Sheila E. and Stewart Copeland. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Chrissie Hynde wrote Don't Get Me Wrong for her buddy John McEnroe, who has played guitar on a Pretenders record and performed on stage with them.

John McEnroe is married to Pattie Smyth who had a number of hits including Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough with Don Henley. She refuses to let McEnroe perfrom with her.

For a minute there , I thought you meant Patti Smyth, which would have been a bit weird.

Edit: Apple Corp have now blocked it :(

It might pop up again

The Beatles Let It Be Film is rarely seen anymore, but someone has put it up on Youtube and it is hasn't been taken down (yet)

Apparently they are going to rejig it and release it next year for the 50th Anniversary. Because any anniversary is an excuse for a shakedown

https://twitter.com/KillianM2/status/1084546077930467333

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/60548/new-beatles-movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I've been rather carried away as of late - so only now do I find the time to point out the Smithed episodes of TOTP '87... :o;)

15 January '87 (on his own)
    29 January '87 (on his own)
    26 February '87 (alongside Steve Wright)
    12 March '87 (alongside Steve Wright)
    26 March '87 (on his own)
    9 April '87 (on his own)
    7 May '87 (on his own)
    28 May '87 (on his own)
    3 September '87 (on his own)
    17 September '87 (alongside Gary Davies)
    24 September '87 (alongside Gary Davies)
    1 October '87 (alongside Gary Davies)
    8 October '87 (alongside Gary Davies)
    5 November '87 (alongside Janice Long)
    10 December '87 (on his own)
    25 December '87 (the Christmas show, of course, alongside Gary Davies)

So, after getting every other episode from late February to early April, we'll get every single episode in June, July and August - but then, after skipping to 10 September, we'll jump all the way to 15 October... :o

Those four consecutive episodes he and Gary presented together were almost certainly in response to The Roxy - which launched on 9 June '87 - and its fixed presenting team of Kid Jensen and Kevin Sharkey. I've mentioned The Roxy before, of course - briefly giving Pops a run for its money, before ultimately suffering as a result of not having a regular networked Tuesday evening slot and not being produced by one of the "big five" ITV companies (despite many of the people working on it having worked on The Tube, Razzmatazz and other successful and well-regarded Tyne Tees music shows). Quite surprising that it didn't get a direct mention on the Story of '87, even though a clip from it was featured...

Just as well Gary isn't on the banned presenter list, because he presented even more episodes in '87 than Smitty - no less than 26, in fact. (No wonder he's the fourth-most prolific Pops presenter - behind only the unmentionable white-haired Yorkshireman, Tony Blackburn and Fearne Cotton. ;))

'87 was also the year when Peely decided he'd had enough and left - the 5 February episode being his last. It's possible, however, that he wouldn't have continued beyond the end of 1988 anyway - Janice left in August of that year, at around the same time that Paul Ciani started bringing in the Children's BBC presenters to replace the older Radio 1 DJs.

He did come back for one episode in 1995 - but that was just so that Michael Aspel could surprise him... :D

The Beatles Let It Be Film is rarely seen anymore, but someone has put it up on Youtube and it is hasn't been taken down (yet)

Probably getting political here - but heaven forbid that Article 13 passes. :mad: :o :mad: :o

Ha, Thanks for that as always GHG. Very interesting stats.

Just as well Gary isn't on the banned presenter list, because he presented even more episodes in '87 than Smitty - no less than 26, in fact

That's mad. I thought the presenters only did one show at most every 5 or 6 weeks. Evidently not.

I think I was all over The Roxy when it started, but even Kid Jensen and your man from Megamix couldn't save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

How difficult could it be to just edit out the on screen presence of Mike Smith and just dub out his voice if he does the countdown. Ok it would be a bit awkward looking but on screen captions could be used like they did with totp2 and at least you could have 80% of the running time and wouldn't br missing a whole month of the charts at a time.

I'm sure they already use some footage from the 25th December 1987 show as the countdown seemed to be on that combined rte/bbc production about Fairytale of New York that was on before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Been trying to work out what the last few posts were about :confused:
    *Googles furiously*
    --> is it this guy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Smith_(broadcaster)
    "Smith decided not to sign the licence extension that would allow the BBC to repeat the Top of the Pops episodes that he presented, with the BBC continuing to respect his wishes following his death. As a result, episodes featuring Smith have been omitted from the repeat run on BBC Four."

Eye that's it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I wonder what his reasons were, and whether rebroadcastRefusal is unusual

Hello, There's nothing new to report this week but we will carry on regardless. Shocking news below of a listing which mentions Bernard Edwards of Chic but not Nile Rodgers. How is Niley meant to make a living with this seemingly never ending media blackout going on, eh?

Repeatorama elsewhere with some decent shows if you want to catch them again. Or for the first time ...

Thursday
    3pm Elvis: The Final Hours (Sky Arts)

4pm Elvis and The Girl From Vienna (Sky Arts)

9pm A Little Bit Showband - Kelley (TG4)

Ronan Collins tells the story of Cork Singer Kelley "who was once romantically linked with Tom Jones"

Friday
    3pm Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison (Sky Arts)
    Doc

4pm When Patsy Cline Was Crazy (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & 1am Top Of The Pops 1987 - January 22nd (BBC4)
    Gary Davies and Steve Wright present the edition first aired on January 22, featuring performances by Dead or Alive, UB40, Randy Crawford, Curiosity Killed the Cat, Pepsi & Shirlie, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Steve `Silk' Hurley and Swing Out Sister

8pm & 1.30am The Everly Brothers: Harmonies From Heaven (BBC4)
    Don and Phil were arguably the greatest harmony singers of all time. This documentary follows surviving sibling Don back to the place where their love for music was formed to recall the music that was omnipresent in their home, the influence of their parents, the early radio shows and the musicians they played with in their formative years. Contributors include Art Garfunkel, Graham Nash, Dave Edmunds and Tim Rice

8pm Music Icons - Jerry Lee Lewis (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Music Icons - The Ramones (Sky Arts)

9pm & 2.30am Guitar, Drum and Bass: On Bass - Tina Weymouth! (BBC4)
    The American musician and singer-songwriter of Talking Heads and Tom Tom Club fame celebrates the contribution of bass to popular music, tracing its progress from street corner doo wop and the overlooked `guy at the back' in rock 'n' roll via Paul McCartney, James Jamerson and Carol Kaye. She reflects on the emergence of '70s funky bass stars Bootsy Collins and Chic's Bernard Edwards, the driving lead bass of postpunk maverick Peter Hook in both Joy Division and New Order through to the growth of Bass Culture in reggae, whose sound systems sparked new genres in drum 'n' bass, grime and beyond

9pm Foo Fighters: Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)
    The rock band perform for the US music programme, performing songs including Times Like These, The Feast and the Famine, Tuff Enuff and Best of You

10pm Forever Young - How Rock n Roll Grew Up (BBC4)
    Documentary exploring the ways rock 'n' roll stars have coped with growing old after being symbols of rebellion from the genre's roots in the 1950s. The programme uncovers how artists have enjoyed comebacks in the 21st century, and examines what happened to the mantra `live fast, die young'. Featuring contributions by Iggy Pop, Lemmy, Rick Wakeman, Suggs and Alison Moyet. Narrated by Cherie Lunghi

10.15pm A Shot Of Whisky (Sky Arts)
    The story of Los Angeles rock venue Whisky a Go Go, featuring classic archive performances by the likes of Led Zeppelin, the Doors and Janis Joplin as well as interviews

11pm Reginald D Hunter's Songs Of The South (BBC4)
    Alabama & Georgia: The London-based comedian continues his exploration of the American South through its songs both past and present in Alabama, where he attends a Lynyrd Skynyrd gig and learns about the city of Muscle Shoals' role in the development of soul. Reg then heads to his home state of Georgia, where he visits Athens - where rock bands the B52s and REM originated - and Atlanta, the birthplace of civil rights leader Martin Luther King and rapper Ludacris. Featuring contributions by Arrested Development, St Paul and the Broken Bones, Clarence Carter and Sharon Jones

11pm Sounds Of The Eighties (BBC Red Button, Repeated on loop over most of the weekend)
    Gary Davies (who is never off the telly these days) chats to Mel C and plays her favourite Eighties Videos

Midnight The Easybeats To AC/DC: The Story Of Aussie Rock (BBC4)
    The story of the rock band, and how Australian family run company Albert Music launched them in the mid-1970s onto the global music scene. The film recalls how Scottish emigrant siblings Angus and Malcolm Young were produced by their older brother George and fellow Easybeats member Harry Vanda, later joined by lead singer Bon Scott. The film retraces the band's explosion in popularity, the relentless touring and the early death of Scott in 1980

12.05am The Seven Ages Of Elvis (Sky Arts)
    Forty years on from his "death", this documentary looks at the legacy of Elvis Presley through the lens of seven key stages of his life

1.50am The Sixties: Sex, Drugs And Rock n Roll (Sky Arts)
    A look at America's changing morality during the decade, from attitudes towards sex and the use of drugs to a newfound expressiveness through music

Saturday
    11.30am The Sixties: The British Invasion (Sky Arts)
    A look at how American culture was changed by the Beatles and the new wave of British bands and artists that followed

4pm Rodrigo Y Gabriela in Concert (Sky Arts)

5.15pm Oasis Live By The Sea (Sky Arts)
    1995 Concert

6.30pm Deep Purple: Perfect Strangers (Sky Arts)
    1984 concert from the classic Deep Purple line-up of Ian Gillan, Ritchie Blackmore, Roger Glover, Jon Lord and Ian Paice

9pm Black Sabbath - The End Of The End (Sky Arts)
    Their final ever concert, from Birmingham in 2017

11pm Foo Fighters: Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)
    Same as yesterday

Midnight Top Of The Pops 1987 - January 22nd (BBC4)
    As Friday

12.15am Download Festival 2017 (Sky Arts)
    Part 1/2 https://downloadfestival.co.uk/download-2017/
    Aerosmith and System Of A Down, among others

12.30am Guitar, Drum and Bass: On Bass - Tina Weymouth! (BBC4)
    As Friday

1.05am The Beach Boys - An American Family Part 1/2 (True Entertainment)
    (Part 2 is on tomorrow)
    "This movie just happened to be on when i came back home on a Sunday afternoon, and initially I thought it was going to be awful. But I was so wrong, I really enjoyed it, they could have shortened it a bit, it lasted nearly 3 hours with ad breaks, but in the main I found the performances very good, the writing credible, and I discovered stuff about the beach boys that I hadn't known before.!" Not my words, that's the opinion of MJ_Togher on imdb

Sunday
    9.30pm Gradam Ceoil Braon Breise (Trad Music Awards) (TG4)
    Coverage of the 2018 traditional music awards from the Waterfront Theatre Belfast, featuring performances and behind the scenes footage

10.30pm Ceol An Chlann (TG4)
    The Gavin Family, one of them was in De Danann

11pm Carole King - Natural Woman (TG4)
    Profile of the singer-songwriter, charting her upbringing in Brooklyn and rise to become one of the most successful musicians of her generations, credited with a string of pop hits. This was on BBC4 last month.

Midnight Video Killed The Radio Star - Guns N Roses (Sky Arts)

12.30am Download Festival 2017 (Sky Arts)
    Part 2. Biffy Clyro, Slayer and others

There you are.

AC/DC get a mention there, Brian Johnson has a series on Discovery called "Brian Johnson's Cars That Rock" (Mondays 10pm)

When he says Rock, he doesn't mean like it would be touch and go with the NCT for vibrations, he means Rock as in Rock

Finally, the Worst Rendition of Daisy, Daisy Of The Week has to be by HAL the Computer in 2001: A Space Odyssey (Sky Arts Thursday 9pm & Sunday 3.15pm)

I mean, it's crap. Computers must have been really poor in 2001 if that's the best they could do. And there's an Ape drumming at the start who must never have seen Stewart Copeland's thing last week. Not a Kick Drum anywhere, really poor ...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I mean, it's crap. Computers must have been really poor in 2001 if that's the best they could do.

You'd sound like that too, if most of your brain had been plugged out :p

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

The Late Late Show on Friday night features the launch of "Ireland's Favourite Folk Song"

Ahead of the search for Ireland’s Favourite Folk Song, Ryan will be joined by Mary Black, Phelim Drew, Aoife Scott and Fiachna Ó Braonáin, to discuss their most-loved tunes.

https://www.rte.ie/culture/folk-song/2018/1109/1009805-welcome-to-irelands-favourite-folk-song/https://www.rte.ie/culture/folk-song/2018/1109/1009805-welcome-to-irelands-favourite-folk-song/
    In April 2019, RTÉ will announce the 10 shortlisted folk songs to the nation via a very special edition of The Ronan Collins Show, and over the following 5 weeks, you will be able to explore the stories behind the songs across RTÉ TV, and vote for your favourite song on the shortlist.

The overall winning song will be announced on The Late Late Show on May 24th.

Sure it might generate some decent content

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The Late Late Show on Friday night features the launch of "Ireland's Favourite Folk Song"

https://www.rte.ie/culture/folk-song/2018/1109/1009805-welcome-to-irelands-favourite-folk-song/https://www.rte.ie/culture/folk-song/2018/1109/1009805-welcome-to-irelands-favourite-folk-song/

Maybe but why let Tubridy near the thing? More filler for the radio show when the researchers can't find someone with a dead or dying relative.

Give it a show of its own.

There's a lot of musical people up and down the country that could do with a leg up but as usual it'll be RTE's pets that get through.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Maybe but why let Tubridy near the thing? More filler for the radio show when the researchers can't find someone with a dead or dying relative.

Give it a show of its own.

There's a lot of musical people up and down the country that could do with a leg up but as usual it'll be RTE's pets that get through.

Yeah, it has the look of a show that would frustrate you and leave you thinking 'this could have been great if they had done it better'. TG4 is a class apart for all things Trad and Folk. RTE had a great heritage in that kind of show but they have long abandoned it.

To fill the gap on TOTP someone has bunged 15th January 1987 up on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

Edit: Apple Corp have now blocked it :(

It might pop up again

It's still available online, if you know where to look.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

This has car crash tv written all over it!! Why the f**k are they letting Tubridy near anything like this?? :mad: They should have done a seperate series with impartial judges/panelists. It'll be a farce...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

BandMember wrote: »
    This has car crash tv written all over it!! Why the f**k are they letting Tubridy near anything like this?? :mad: They should have done a seperate series with impartial judges/panelists. It'll be a farce...

fyp :)

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

Advertisement