Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,658 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Five Star sh1tt1ing singles into 1987.

Think I’ll ring into ‘Going Live!’ on Saturday morning and talk to them.

Europe rocking the Wetherspoons in Stockholm.

No under-16’s, no baseball caps, no poodle metal.

Bo Diddley never did get around to releasing an album based on the plight of the homeless...

‘Diddley Squat’.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Bo Diddley never did get around to releasing an album based on the plight of the homeless...

‘Diddley Squat’.

:cool:
    I will respond to this in the traditional pun-acknowledging fashion
    :P Groooooooooannnnnnnnnnn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

The drum and especially bass episodes of this series were far better than this guitar episode. Although I didn't realise Duane Eddy was still alive :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Ah, the sublime Monkey...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

They went through the whole thing too quickly. There was no length of time given to any particular artist or style. A two hour or two parter might have been better.

No Chuck Berry either.

Love the Shadows, don’t laugh but Hank Marvin is my guitar hero, he was so influential. As George Harrison said ‘no Shadows, no Beatles’.
    Agree, the drum episode with Stewart Copeland was brilliant, I loved all the New Orleans stuff in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

Edge clip was taken from It Might Get Loud, reasonable documentary about the guitar. The first two episodes were about the instrument and history and the third was about effects pedals with Patti Smith's guitar player. 2/3 were good in fairness.

• Advertisement

"The letters H.O.M.E. are so important because they personify the word home."

- Matt Goss, 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello, the BBC4's ambitious new commission on Friday appears to be a video request show. They seem to given up on Arts programming now and are pinning their hopes on a clone of Network Two's The Beat Box. If Fab Vinny was still around he would probably get a new run of MT USA.

The usual multitude of repeats including John Lennon, Pink Floyd, Buddy Holly, Frank Sinatra, Led Zeppelin, The Doobie Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Genesis and Aonghus McAnally ...

Thursday
    6.20am & 4pm Pavarotti: Birth Of A Pop Star (Sky Arts)
    7.20am Pavarotti Live In Barcelona 1989 (Sky Arts)

2pm Pink Floyd - A Delicate Sound Of Thunder (Sky Arts)
    1988 Concert from New York

7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1987 - February 19th (BBC4)
    Gary Davies presents the February 19 edition, featuring Eric Clapton, Curiosity Killed the Cat, Carly Simon and Westworld

9pm Siar An Bothar - Tipperary (TG4)
    Featuring performances from the 1992 series Mirth & Music in Tipperary: Fleadh '92, including Clonmel Comhaltas Group, Martin Hayes, Sean Norman, Roisin Harrigan and Robbie McMahon

10pm BBC Arts NI Presents - Music Collaborations (BBC2 NI)
    Worst Programme title ever, but musicians from the worlds of jazz, classical and rock partner up to create and perform one-off performances of new or reversioned songs. Mixing it up are Horslips and Ulaid, Barry Douglas and Martin Hayes, Dana Masters and the Bonnevilles, Moya Brennan, Ryan Vail and Elma Orkestra, and Phil Kieran, Karl McGuckin and Jolene O'Hara. Presented by Stephen McCauley

12.30am Arena: Loretta Lynn - Still A Mountain Girl (BBC4)
    The veteran country music singer and songwriter looks back at her life from being born a coal miner's daughter in Kentucky, to selling more than 45 million albums worldwide and to receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama in 2013. Contributors include Willie Nelson, Sheryl Crow, Garth Brooks, Jack White and Sissy Spacek

12.55am Sinatra And Friends (Sky Arts)
    A TV special from 1977, with John Denver, Natalie Cole, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, Loretta Lynn, Leslie Uggams and Robert Merrill joining the singer. Solid line up, to be fair.

Friday
    7.10am Andrea Bocelli Live In Portofino 2012 (Sky Arts)

2pm Nat King Cole: Afraid Of The Dark (Sky Arts)
    A look into the private journals of the music legend, who overcame a period of racial segregation and prejudice in America to become one of the greatest jazz icons of all time

4pm Simply Red Live At Sydney Opera House (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & 12.30am Top Of The Pops 1987 - March 5th (BBC4)
    Gary Davies and Janice Long present the edition first aired on March 5, featuring performances Erasure, Mel & Kim, A-ha and the Christians

8pm & 2am Classic Albums - Don McClean: American Pie (BBC4)
    McLean's 1971 second album is a classic of the folk-rock genre. Here, the singer discusses the intricacies of his songs, the sometimes fraught recording process, and the album's legacy. Other contributors include producer Ed Freeman

8pm Music Icons: Dusty Springfield (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Music Icons: Run DMC (Sky Arts)

9pm & 3am Buddy Holly - Rave On (BBC4)
    This documentary tells the story of Holly's tragically short life and career through interviews with those who knew him and worked with him. Contributors include Don McLean, Paul Anka, Don Everly, Hank Marvin and Bob Harris. There's another Buddy Doc on Sunday on Sky Arts

9pm Robert Plant and The Sensational Space Shifters: Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)
    The rock singer is joined by his band to perform songs from across his career, including Led Zeppelin classics The Lemon Song, Black Dog and Whole Lotta Love

10pm Friday Night Jukebox Live! - The BBC Four Request Show (BBC4) New!
    Phill Jupitus and Clare Grogan plunder the legendary BBC music archive, responding to viewers' song requests, based on their stories and memories of friendship. The duo retrieve performances from, among others, James Taylor, Carole King, REM, Oasis, Paul Simon, Michael Jackson and Ed Sheeran. There are also some live performers in the studio. Email jukebox@bbc.co.uk to request a song.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06vl79r

10.15pm Free To Rock: How Rock & Roll Brought Down The Wall (Sky Arts)
    Kiefer Sutherland narrates a documentary telling the story of how rock music became a symbol of freedom behind the Iron Curtain and how it helped end the Cold War

11.30pm How To Make A Number One Record (BBC4)
    Documentary studying what it takes to propel a single to number one. Featuring a look at those who have succeeded in topping the charts, and the effect it had on their lives, alongside an examination of the roles played by art, science, chance and manipulation in reaching the pinnacle of pop

11.30pm Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day (Sky Arts)
    The band's one-off reunion performance at London's O2 in 2007 as part of a benefit concert to commemorate the life of Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun. Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones were joined by former member John Bonham's son Jason on drums as the group played a selection of songs from their back catalogue, including Whole Lotta Love, Kashmir, Dazed and Confused and Black Dog

1am Popular Voices at the BBC - Crooners (BBC4)
    A compilation of the enigmatic tones of some of popular music's most classic crooners. With Sammy Davis Jr, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Bryan Ferry, Echo And The Bunnymen and Willie Nelson.

Saturday
    3.30pm John Lennon - Imagine (Sky Arts)
    Unique footage of the recording of the classic 1971 album, filmed in England, and the subsequent promotional tour to the USA and Japan

4.50pm Lynyrd Skynyrd Live From Jacksonville (Sky Arts)
    The band perform their first two studio albums in their entirety at the Florida Theatre in their home town of Jacksonville

7pm Pink Floyd - A Delicate Sound Of Thunder (Sky Arts)
    As Thursday

9pm The Doobie Brothers - Let The Music Play (Sky Arts)
    The story of the American group, from their beginnings as a biker band in California in 1970 through to their sustained success, break-ups, reunions and multi-platinum albums. "This is a documentary that one cannot stop watching, as the story that unfolds is fascinating." says someone on classicrockrevisited.com
    https://www.classicrockrevisited.com/show_review.php?id=984
    Trailer

10.45pm Genesis: Together And Apart (BBC4)
    Peter Gabriel, Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks and Steve Hackett meet up to talk about the life of Genesis and remember the good old days. There is a weird speeded up version on Youtube (possibly to avoid the copyright detectors) but it's not really watchable.
    Here are some screengrabs from it

11pm The Who: Tommy Live From The Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)
    2017 Concert where Tommy is played live in full for the first time

11.20pm Fir Bolg (TG4)
    Ep 1/9 Comedy drama about a vintage traditional music group who have a history but little future. But what all changes when they meet up at a funeral and decide to get back together for a one-off gig. But as preparations get under way, the Fir Bolg find themselves dragged into more concerts and more controversy as skeletons begin to fall out of the closet. Starring Sean McGinley, Don Wycherley, Aonghus McAnally, Peadar Cox and Caroline Morahan.
    http://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/fir-bolg/
    This was on before but I didn't watch it. Here is Patrick Bergin with the cast performing a number

12.15am Top Of The Pops 1987 - February 19th (BBC4)

12.30am Santana Live At Montreux (Sky Arts)

12.45am Top Of The Pops 1987 - March 5th (BBC4)

Sunday
    7pm The Music Of Buddy Holly And The Crickets (Sky Arts)
    Paul Gambaccini narrates a documentary celebrating the life of the Texan singer-songwriter, who began his career opening for Elvis Presley and became a star in his own right. Apparently one of The Crickets wrote I Fought The Law, not The Clash.

9pm Foreigner Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

10.40pm Def Leppard: Viva! Hysteria (Sky Arts)

11pm Annie Lennox: An Evening Of Nostalgia (TG4)
    The singer fronts her only full concert performance of songs from her Grammy-nominated Nostalgia album, demonstrating her distinctive vocal and performance talents on an array of classic American standards to one of rock n roll most enduring classics. She concludes with a selection of her own hits performed solo at the piano. This was on a few weeks ago on the same station

12.30am Free To Rock: How Rock & Roll Brought Down The Wall (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

1.45am John Lennon - Imagine (Sky Arts)
    As Saturday

RTE Radio 1's Doc On One had a repeat of their Prince in Malahide Castle Doc last week, all their archive is available here https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/
    Other music related shows on there include Astral Weeks, Tom Munnelly the Trad song archivist, U2, Jeff Buckley, The Beatles and many more. Well worth a perusal.

Sky Arts up there are scheduling Opera at breakfast time, which seems like a bold move. This reminded me of the Smith and Jones Opera Sketch which isn't really suitable for work. Hopefully Gregorio will get an airing soon on Sky. Or someone might request in on BBC4's video show

http://www.tvcream.co.uk/100-greatest-tv-moment/33-you-seem-to-be-tagging-on-a-****-there/

SONIC BOOM BOOM BOY!

:)

So this is what Marlon Dingle from Emmerdale was doing in the 80’s! :eek:

vb2Y8Ek.jpg

Tay Tay Tay Tay

Tay Tay Tay Tay Tay Tay Tay

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Ugh, SAW were getting a stranglehold on the charts around this time.

Jocky Wilson was having a good chart run, considering he died in 1994

My favourite part of Moonlighting was when there was a writers strike and the cast had to fill in for 10 minutes at the end

Dave Lee Travis on bass :eek:

Say it ain’t so, Jarreau!

• Advertisement

River Phoenix - so talented, taken way too soon. :(

Stand By Me used crash into The Irish Rover by The Pogues and The Dubliners on one of my Taped Off The Radio tapes.

A few great shows i would have missed without you Skid- thanks :)

Led Zeppelin concert tonight will be the first of a few recordings over the weekend.

9pm Siar An Bothar - Tipperary (TG4)
    Featuring performances from the 1992 series Mirth & Music in Tipperary: Fleadh '92, including Clonmel Comhaltas Group, Martin Hayes, Sean Norman, Roisin Harrigan and Robbie McMahon

Don't talk tp me about that weekend. My now OH and myself were to travel down there from Nenagh on the Friday. She left Nenagh on a bus to meet her sister in Limerick, coming down on a bus from Sligo. I was to leave Nenagh on another bus via Thurles an hour later. Well.. I met a lad I didn't meet for ages and missed every bus to Clonmel from then till Monday. 27 years later we're still together but don't mention Clonmel '92

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Skid X wrote: »
    My favourite part of Moonlighting was when there was a writers strike and the cast had to fill in for 10 minutes at the end

Cringeworthy.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Clare Grogan on BBC Four now, worth watching for her alone, let alone the music.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Gary Numan there now,

Never forget ...

https://twitter.com/totpfacts/status/959510489486196736

There's a Bowie Doc on BBC2 on Saturday February 9th, based on his early career.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/feb/01/devoid-of-personality-bbc-tells-story-of-david-bowies-faltering-early-career

Great Genesis doc on BBC Four right now :)

• Advertisement

*stsnds up*

I’M A GENESIS FAN!

:o

I’ll sit down now.

Advertisement