Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

That vid for Whitesnake 'Still of the Night' - well none of the musicians in it apart from Coverdale performed on the 1987 album.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ferry Aid is a good answer on Pointless if they ask about Bands who had a Number One in the Eighties.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,658 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Ferry Aid, brought to you by those bastions of compassion, The Scum newspaper. :(

Should have let Kate Bush sing the whole thing.

Skid X wrote: »
    Ferry Aid is a good answer on Pointless if they ask about Bands who had a Number One in the Eighties.

Anyone know what chart position this got to?

Everybody now, "Let's make it work...."

• Advertisement

Anyone know what chart position this got to?

Everybody now, "Let's make it work...."

Numero Uno !

http://www.irishcharts.ie/search/placement

Title: MAKE IT WORK
    Artist: CHRISTY MOORE, PAUL DORAN AND THE SELF AID BAND
    Label: WEA
    Date of entry: 08.05.1986
    Highest Placement: 1
    Weeks in the Charts: 3

I remember Self Aid, people take the piss out of it but it was worth a try. Bugger all work to be found around here at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jaysus, that Ferry aid song hasn't aged well. I remember loving it at the time.

And Tawny Kitaen. :)

She met an explosive end in 'Fool for your Loving'.

Also appeared in Married with Children.

Numero Uno !

http://www.irishcharts.ie/search/placement

Title: MAKE IT WORK
    Artist: CHRISTY MOORE, PAUL DORAN AND THE SELF AID BAND
    Label: WEA
    Date of entry: 08.05.1986
    Highest Placement: 1
    Weeks in the Charts: 3

I remember Self Aid, people take the piss out of it but it was worth a try. Bugger all work to be found around here at the time.

I remember watching it - a few friends went and do I regret not going now. Would have been nice to be there but from memory, early in the day, numbers were light on the ground. I think it only gathered momentum as the show progressed throughout the day on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭trashcan

They actually renamed themselves simply Curiousity when they retutned in the early 90’s! :D

Is it wrong to know this? :o

Probably :D

• Advertisement

Did Midge borrow from Marc Almond’s wardrobe?! :eek:

Saint Julian :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,045 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Has somebody replaced the TOTP 1981 Big Hits with that weird Mini Pops show that had little kids signing adult songs?

Depeche Mode and Altered Images look like very awk teenagers (though I still admit a crush on Claire Grogan)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Blimey, they sold Beats for 3 billion apparently. I'm not a fan of them. Bowers & Wilkins all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

FYC....awesome!

Terrible shame the brilliant The Beat had to die to allow FYC (and the little-known General Public) to be born. :(

Didn't think Bryan would ever be stuck for a few quid.

And who the f**k is Paul Doran?

It was godawful. Only memorable for Bono saying "f*ck" live on RTE, but Geldof had done that a good ten years earlier...

Claire Grogan tho

DrearySpiritedGemsbok.webp:)

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

Got to watch The Doobie Brothers documentary last weekend- like the band itself, the documentary just kept going and going and going- over two hours, phew. :D

Great bunch of lads so they are. Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    That vid for Whitesnake 'Still of the Night' - well none of the musicians in it apart from Coverdale performed on the 1987 album.

Interviewer: How did you féel when you saw whitesnake playing Here I go again on MTV.

Bernie Marsden: Whitesnake? You mean David and some Americans?

sligojoek wrote: »
    Interviewer: How did you féel when you saw whitesnake playing Here I go again on MTV.

Bernie Marsden: Whitesnake? You mean David and some Americans?

I prefer the bluesy Whitesnake that Marsden was in.

As for the band around the late 80's, you had a bass player from Cuba, two guitar players (one from the north and one from The Netherlands) an American and an Englishman.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Bernie Marsden and Mickey Moody together were magic.

I'm hoping to see Bernie this summer in Ballyshannon.

51258197_10156991695394243_1877321924384653312_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=75e08caf8ca30cf1bbe48ab914a142d3&oe=5CDE98FD

Bowie on BBC2 now

Repeated next Thursday night if you miss it

• Advertisement

Some great archive clips in this Bowie Doc. I didn't realise quite how varied his early work was. Good interviews with people he worked with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

"It was a man's dress"
    "We all wore dresses at that time" :pac:

He may have found the Hartley interview maddening, but just imagine if it had been the DLB :pac:

*LLS-crossover reference - apolologies*

Ah, Hammersmith, I remember it well, from 3 rows back

...not :(

"What did he say? ... has he sacked us? ... I know I'm not the only Spider From Mars who has serious car loan repayments to make ... David?"

Thursday BBC2

11.15pm David Bowie: Finding Fame (this one)
    12.45am - 2.15am David Bowie: The Last Five Years

Lovely stuff. They should dig out the first Five Years Doc from 2013 too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Watching this Dr Dre yoke here.

It's very interesting, but jesus, whatever the opposite warts and all is, that's what this is.

And then, there was some other triple A artist, and that was hard, but it was so great.

I've never seen anything that involved my main man Bruce, that felt a bit insincere, but this is a bit like that.

And while I'm at it, Because The Night is a rubbish song. I'm glad it helped Bruce succeed, but it's dreadful.

Matter of taste, of course. But it is.

Alright, I've had a few, but this seems to be saying F*ck The Police is rooted in an unfortunate paintball gun incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,045 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It was godawful. Only memorable for Bono saying "f*ck" live on RTE, but Geldof had done that a good ten years earlier...
    I dunno about that. I worked the gig and was near the stage for most of the day. The early part of the day had a great line-up of great Irish bands who really didn't get play together ever, if at all.

Highlights for me were:

Auto Da Fé
    Blue in Heaven
    Cactus World News
    The Fountainhead
    In Tua Nua
    Moving Hearts
    The Pogues

Along with big names like
    Van Morrison
    Thin Lizzy
    Elvis Costello
    Rory Gallagher
    U2

The idea behind the gig was fairly dodgy, but still good music.

Advertisement