Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    And while I'm at it, Because The Night is a rubbish song. I'm glad it helped Bruce succeed, but it's dreadful.

Matter of taste, of course. But it is.
    You are dead to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

You are dead to me.

Oh yeah?

Well, may I rest in peace.

Or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,658 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Just watched last night’s David Bowie documnetary...great stuff!

Love his 1967 album for Deram - very Kinks-y amd eccentric in places...no bad thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

sligojoek wrote: »
    Interviewer: How did you féel when you saw whitesnake playing Here I go again on MTV.

Bernie Marsden: Whitesnake? You mean David and some Americans?

I'm 99% sure this is the interview that nugget came from. I watched it about 3 years ago. If its the one I'm thinking of, her dad was a big Deep Purple/Rainbow/Whitesnake fan and the interview was hastily arranged before Bernie played a show nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Interviewer: How did you féel when you saw whitesnake playing Here I go again on MTV.

Bernie Marsden: Whitesnake? You mean David and some Americans?

I saw Whitesnake in 82 in Leeds and they were absolutely fantastic, Cozy Powell on drums as well, my first indoor gig and it was like a sauna even in the depths of winter.....

They were still the bluesy rock version of the band.

It's such a shame that Coverdale was infected with the MTV virus and succumbed to the twin devils of hairspray and back-combing.

The 82 version of "Here I go Again" is superb, the remake,cover or whatever you call it is an abomination, the worst cover ever, and it's their own song !!

• Advertisement

Sorry. Forgot to embed the video

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello, yeah the Bowie Doc gets another airing on Thursday night, followed by the one they did after he died. Both well worth taping. New on BBC4 this week is a Swedish Pop Doc, that being the place where they produce and write a lot of the Pop stuff now.

BBC4 and Sky both have some good repeats including the excellent XTC Doc on Sky, which is well worth a look even if you don't know much about them. Also the Kings Of Rock and Roll which was a huge 1972 Wembley Concert where Jerry Lee Lewis, Bill Haley, Little Richard and all that lot got a nice payday for their troubles. Looks like a good show ...

Thursday
    12pm Trailblazers - Glam Rock (Sky Arts)

4pm Johnny Cash Song By Song - I Walk The Line (Sky Arts)
    4.30pm Dolly Parton Song By Song - Coat Of Many Colors (Sky Arts)

7pm The Barry White Story - Let The Music Play (Sky Arts)

9pm Siar An Bothar (TG4)
    Includes a film of The Dublin Pipers visiting Glendalough in 1949

11pm Roy Orbison: Love Hurts (BBC4)
    Thirty years since the singer's death, another chance to see this documentary revealing his legacy as a beloved rock legend and a devoted father through intimate interviews with his three sons. Alex, Roy Jr and Wesley Orbison discuss the immense talent and fierce determination that provided the driving force behind their father's success and how his family life offered a strong spiritual base to escape the pressures of the rock n roll lifestyle

11.15pm David Bowie: Finding Fame (BBC2)
    The final part of Francis Whately's trilogy of films on Bowie's life, telling the story of the five years when many of the ideas that would help him become an icon were first born. Starting in 1966, soon after David Jones changed his name to David Bowie, the film traces his interest in everything from Holst and Pinky and Perky to Anthony Newley and Tibetan Buddhism, and how he used all of these influences to create not only Ziggy Stardust, but the material for his entire career
    https://twitter.com/BBC/status/1094325333871022080

12.45am David Bowie: The Last Five Years (BBC2)
    A portrait of David Bowie, told by the people who knew him best - his friends and artistic collaborators. It also takes a detailed look at his last albums The Next Day and Blackstar, and his play Lazarus. Through the prism of this last work, the film shows how, in his final five years, Bowie not only began producing music again but returned to the core and defining themes of his career. Among the contributors are Tony Visconti, Gail Ann Dorsey, Toni Basil and Michael C Hall

1.15am James Blunt Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

Friday
    12pm Trailblazers - Two Tone (Sky Arts)

7pm Kings Of Rock n Roll (Sky Arts)
    Highlights from the 1972 London Rock and Roll Show, the first concert ever held at Wembley Stadium. Including performances of High School Confidential and a medley of Elvis numbers by Jerry Lee Lewis, Rock Around the Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets, and Tutti Frutti, Lucille and Good Golly Miss Molly by Little Richard, before headliner Chuck Berry plays School Days, Sweet Sixteen, Little Queenie, Memphis Tennessee, Wee Wee Hours and Oh Carol!
    Most of it is on Youtube on this account

7.30pm & 12.25am Top Of The Pops 1987 - April 16 (BBC4)
    Janice Long and Peter Powell introduce the April 16 edition, with performances by Fine Young Cannibals, David Bowie, Living in a Box, Herb Alpert, Kim Wilde and Junior, Five Star, Bon Jovi, Rikki, Ferry Aid and Madonna

8pm Classic Albums: Carly Simon - No Secrets (BBC4)

8pm Music Icons - Chuck Berry (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Music Icons - Talking Heads (Sky Arts)

9pm XTC- This Is Pop (Sky Arts)
    Excellent documentary charting the career of English rock band XTC, who formed in Swindon in 1972 and became one of Britain's most influential yet unsung bands. Trailer here

9pm & 2.55am Flat Pack Pop - Sweden's Music Miracle (BBC4) New!
    James Ballardie charts Sweden's rise as a musical superpower, exploring the unique songwriting formula that inspired some of the biggest hits of the last 30 years.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002k6k

10pm The Defiant Ones (Part 3 and 4) (BBC4)
    10pm Ep3 By 1989, Jimmy Lovine had parlayed his production expertise into a new career as co-founder of Interscope Records, committing the label to artists such as Trent Reznor's Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Gwen Stefani and No Doubt. Dr Dre discusses a series of calamities he experienced including personal losses on the streets and run-ins with police authorities
    10.45pm Ep4 The Chronic became a huge hit and spawned even bigger LPs from Dr Dre's protege Snoop Dogg and new Death Row signee Tupac Shakur. The programme explores the hostility that was mounting across America towards the misunderstood violent influence of rap music (Apparently there are 6 episodes of this as BBC4 chopped them into 45 minute parts. And then showed them in double bills)

10.30pm Ron Geesin - An Improvised Life (Sky Arts)
    A look at the life of musician Ron Geesin, best known for his collaborations with Pink Floyd. Featuring performances and interviews with Nick Mason and Geesin himself

11.25pm Hits, Hype & Hustle: An Insiders (BBC4)
    Ep2/3 On the Road Music promoter John Giddings tells the story of how live performance has become a billion-pound industry. Where once bands would tour just to promote an album, in the age of downloads and dwindling record sales, the live arena is booming. The programme also tells the story of the original Isle of Wight festival, where a bunch of young promoters with big ideas persuaded Bob Dylan, the Who and Leonard Cohen to perform.

11.45pm Pink Floyd: Pulse - The Dark Side Of The Moon Live (Sky Arts)
    1994 Concert from Earls Court

12.45am A Technicolour Dream (Sky Arts)
    Pink Floyd's Roger Waters and Nick Mason recount the story of the musical subculture of the 1960s, which culminated in a 14-hour concert at London's Alexandra Palace

12.55am The Last Pirates: Britains Rebel DJs (BBC4)
    An alternative history of Britain during a time of entrepreneurialism and social upheaval, with archive and music that celebrates a very different side of Thatcher's Britain. Rodney P's story details how land-based pirate radio broadcasters created a platform for black music, changing the soundtrack of Britain for ever.

1.55am Arena - American Epic - The Big Bang (BBC4)
    The first of three programmes exploring roots music in the US, beginning with the birth of country music and urban blues in the 1920s. As record sales rose in the early days of radio, companies began exploring rural areas in search of new artists. The programme features early recordings by Appalachian country music pioneers the Carter Family and Will Shade and The Memphis Jug Band, whose music prefigured modern rap and RnB. Narrated by Robert Redford

2.45am The Rolling Stones: Sweet Summer Sun - A Return To Hyde Park (Sky Arts)
    2013 Concert

Saturday
    Queen Night on Sky Arts
    8.30pm & 12.30am Bohemian Rhapsody Special
    Just a plug for the film

9pm Queen - The Phenomenon
    One of the many Queen Docs

10.15pm Queen Live in Rio 1985

11.30pm Classic Albums: Queen - A Night At The Opera

1am Video Killed The Radio Star - Queen
    Queen Videos

The Rest
    12.30pm Trailblazers - Disco (Sky Arts)
    1.30pm Trailblazers - Glam Rock (Sky Arts)

2.20pm The 2019 Grammy Awards (4Music)
    Presented by Alicia Keys

2.30pm Bryan Ferry Plays Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

5.45pm Michael Jackson - The Story Of An Icon (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the life of the pop singer, from his early career with the Jackson 5 to his rise to solo stardom and his death in 2009

10.40pm Top Of The Pops 1987 - April 16 (BBC4)

11.10pm Glen Campbell - The Rhinestone Cowboy (BBC4)
    An insight into the life of country music star Glen Campbell, documenting his remarkable journey from an impoverished childhood to worldwide fame and success as a guitarist and singer with records including Wichita Lineman and Rhinestone Cowboy. Featuring contributions by family, friends and colleagues including Jimmy Webb, Micky Dolenz and Bob Harris

12.10am The Defiant Ones (Part 3 and 4) (BBC4)
    As Friday

1.30am The Making Of Marc Bolan (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story of how East End boy Mark Feld became a glam rock superstar as the frontman of T. Rex.

2.30am More Than This - The Roxy Music Story (Sky Arts)
    Documentary examining the background and influences of the rock group formed in 1971 by Bryan Ferry, detailing the changing relationships between band members and their return to the stage and studio in 2001. Featuring interviews with former band members, as well as Duran Duran's John Taylor, Siouxsie Sioux and former Sex Pistol Steve Jones

Sunday
    11am Trailblazers - Two Tone (Sky Arts)

8pm Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man (Sky Arts)
    2005 Documentary about the life and career of the Canadian singer-songwriter, who details the intricacies of his distinctive brand of music, and his unique outlook on life. Archive footage and photographs from Cohen's private collection illustrate high points from his career, and there are performances of his songs by artists including Nick Cave, Jarvis Cocker, the Handsome Family, Beth Orton, Rufus Wainwright and Martha Wainwright at a 2005 tribute concert in Sydney

9.30pm Gradam Ceoil TG4 2019 (TG4) New!
    Donal O'Connor and Doireann Ni Ghlacain host the music awards live from The Waterfront Hall, Belfast. Featuring performances from Triona Ni Dhomhnaill, Catherine McEvoy, Conor Connolly, Brendan Mulkere, Nicky & McAuliffe, Four Men and a Dog and Thomas McCarthy

10pm Norah Jones at Baloise Session (Sky Arts)
    2016 Concert

11.15pm Van Morrison Live At Montreux 1980 (TG4)
    A performance at the Swiss jazz festival by the singer-songwriter and his band, featuring songs including Troubadours, Moondance and Tupelo Honey

12.35am Kings Of Rock n Roll (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

1.35am XTC: This Is Pop (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

... no sign of Prefab Sprout in that Wembley Kings Of Rock and Roll show, despite their Hot Dog, Jumping Frog, Alberquerque song.

Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music get two outings on Sky Arts on Saturday, and the first episode of the similarly named short lived ITV Chart Music Show from June 1987 has just appeared on Youtube. Kid Jensen and Kevin 'The Donegal Priest who used to present Megamix on RTE1 with Flo McSweeney' Sharkey presented it. ITV4 should repeat all 43 shows in the same style as BBC4 does with TOTP just for fun

But getting back to Roxy Music - the Best Chairman Mao Deathbed Cover Version of Virginia Plain Ever might be this one, from Big Train

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Skid X wrote: »
    ... the Best Chairman Mao Deathbed Cover Version of Virginia Plain Ever might be this one, from Big Train ...
    Undoubtedly the best

...and yet the worst :p

Highly recommend the XTC documentary :)

Any excuse... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

Very good documentary of a very interesting band.
    11.15pm Van Morrison Live At Montreux 1980 (TG4)
    A performance at the Swiss jazz festival by the singer-songwriter and his band, featuring songs including Troubadours, Moondance and Tupelo Honey
    I've been watching this on YT for years. Both he and the band are firing on all cylinders. Superb at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭trashcan

Any excuse... :D

Superb band. Mayor of Simpleton is one of the best pop songs ever written. Also, check out Easter Theatre, one of their later, lesser known works, and Andy Partridges own personal favourite of his songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Highlights from the 1972 London Rock and Roll Show, the first concert ever held at Wembley Stadium.

Screamin' Lord Sutch wasn't great musically but had good visuals :D

Looking at the crowd is more interesting than the music :eek:
    Hot pants, miniskirts, no bras - what a time to be alive.

Unfortunately I was still in nappies at the time...

According to wikipedia, that's a very young Wilko Johnson glimpsed playing a black Tele during Heinz's "C'mon Everybody". Heinz was that German-born fella in the excellent Joe Meek film, had a couple of hit singles. Wilko hadn't invented the chicken dance yet (or discovered what a barber was.)

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

trashcan wrote: »
    Superb band. Mayor of Simpleton is one of the best pop songs ever written. Also, check out Easter Theatre, one of their later, lesser known works, and Andy Partridges own personal favourite of his songs.

Add ‘25 O’Clock’ by The Dukes Of Stratosphear to that list. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Dub Ste wrote:
    The 82 version of "Here I go Again" is superb, the remake,cover or whatever you call it is an abomination, the worst cover ever, and it's their own song !!

The same could be said of "Fool for your lovin..".

FYC Guitarist got dem ants in de pants :)

Hoddle and Waddle begin their attack on the singles chart :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The singer Junior, he's now know as Senior ;)

Larry Gogan’s best friend, Jon Bon Jovi :pac:

3157A12D00000578-0-image-a-15_1455800250717.jpg

Yeah, good luck beating Johnny Logan!

• Advertisement

Just watched last night’s documentary on Swedish Pop...really good!

Not enough Ace Of Base on BBC Four :o:D

And as for boyband 5ive, almost being called ‘The Lads’...

*world’s biggest shudder*

Decent Glen Campbell documentary just started on BBC Four!

A life well lived :)

Hey WM.

Got you a couple of good pics from during the week. I'll PM when I get them on the laptop.

Hey WM.

Got you a couple of good pics from during the week. I'll PM when I get them on the laptop.

Cheers amigo :)

Now, from the top...

I am a lineman for the coun-teeeeee...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Yes, but can anyone in Ace of Base play the bass? ;)

Just watched last night’s documentary on Swedish Pop...really good!

And as for boyband 5ive, almost being called ‘The Lads’...

*world’s biggest shudder*

Just watching it now, very interesting. Rare to hear producers or songwriters from a "Hit Factory" speaking so unashamedly about how formulaic and repetitive their songs were.

I suspect similar stories could be told about Tin Pan Alley or Motown

Playing the different mixes of each song in the Nightclub reminded me of the (Old Grey)Whistle Test where the Tin Pan Alley songwriters played their songs to the Doormen, to see if they could whistle them back at the end of the week.

Cheers amigo :)

Now, from the top...

I am a lineman for the coun-teeeeee...

1313065.jpg

Just watching it now, very interesting. Rare to hear producers or songwriters from a "Hit Factory" speaking so unashamedly about how formulaic and repetitive their songs were.

I suspect similar stories could be told about Tin Pan Alley or Motown

Playing the different mixes of each song in the Nightclub reminded me of the (Old Grey)Whistle Test where the Tin Pan Alley songwriters played their songs to the Doormen, to see if they could whistle them back at the end of the week.

Whilst I can safely say that I own no records by Britney/Backstreet Boys/N*Sync, I have much respect for Max Martin.

Seems like a nice guy, no ego or pretentiousness, just getting on with the job he loves, working hard and perfecting his craft.

And that ‘Jante Law’ sounds suspiciously like their equivalent of Typical Irish Begrudgery! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭trashcan

1313065.jpg

Ha, I always amended that in my head to "I am a linesman for Notts County"

• Advertisement

Hello, this week we have a new Doc on Soundtracks on BBC4 with some of that genre's big hitters. Other Voices returns to RTE2 while Sky has a new one about Gregory Porter (a man who does well out of this kind of show). True Movies has a Saturday packed with cheesey cheap Music Bio Films, although the lamented Birth Of The Beatles seems to have departed their schedule, alas.

Down at the end we'll find out the answer to a quiz question which popped up on Youtube this week - "Who produced most of the songs on the B-52's 1989 Album Cosmic Thing?" ...

Wednesday Night
    8pm The Brit Awards 2018 (ITV, VM2)

1.45am More Than This: The Roxy Music Story (Sky Arts)

Thursday
    11.15pm Reginald D Hunter's Songs Of The Border (BBC2)
    Against the backdrop of President Trump's planned construction of a wall between the two countries, the comedian takes a 2,000-mile musical road trip along the US-Mexico border. He explores how romance and reality play out musically, where third-world Mexico meets first-world USA on `the broken road to the American Dream'

11.30pm Other Voices (RTE2) New!
    the series returns for a 17th run with music from Dingle, featuring Mahalia, David Keenan, Nahkane and Mango x MathMan

7.30pm & 11.35pm Top Of The Pops 1987 - April 23 (BBC4)
    Gary Davies presents the edition first broadcast on April 23, featuring Madonna, Five Star, the Smiths and Kim Wilde and Junior

12.05am Better Than The Original: The Joy Of The Cover Version (BBC4)
    The role of the cover in the pop industry, investigating what it takes to reinvent someone else's hit and following the stories behind 10 cover songs, tracking how artists as varied as the Moody Blues, Soft Cell, Puff Daddy and Alexandra Burke have topped the charts with their retake on someone else's song. Contributors include John Cale, Gloria Jones, Marc Almond, Rick Rubin, Faith Evans and Nerina Pallot.

2.35am Sings Dylan 2 (BBC4)
    Cover versions of Bob Dylan songs from the 1960s to the present, sourced from the BBC archives. Featuring classic tracks old and new, plus a few surprises. Performers include Joan Baez, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Hollies, Adele, Julie Felix, Richie Havens, Bryan Ferry and KT Tunstall

Friday
    12pm Trailblazers - 80s Pop (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & 2.55am Top Of The Pops 1987 - April 30 (BBC4)
    Peter Powell and Steve Wright introduce the April 30 edition, featuring performances by the Jesus and Mary Chain, Starship, Labi Siffre, Level 42, Spear of Destiny, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Jones, Madonna and Duran Duran

8pm TOTP - 1982 Big Hits (BBC4)
    Collection of performances from 19
    82 TOTP, mostly from shows they can't show anymore because of the presenters

8pm Music Icons - Creedence Clearwater Revival (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Music Icons - Al Green (Sky Arts)

9pm Score: Cinema's Greatest Soundtracks (BBC4) New!
    Elite Hollywood composers including Hans Zimmer, James Cameron, Danny Elfman, John Williams, Quincy Jones and Trent Reznor combine to give a privileged look inside the musical challenges and creative secrecy of the world's most international music genre - the film score

9pm Life and Death of Sam Cooke (Sky Arts)
    A look at the circumstances surrounding the violent death of the American soul singer, including theories that it was self-defence, or a robbery that spiralled out of control. There is a similar Doc on Netflix "the two deaths of Sam Cooke"

10.30pm The Defiant Ones Parts 5&6 (BBC4)
    10.30pm Part 5 Dr Dre talks about his time with Snoop Dogg and recent signee Tupac Shakur, who all became embroiled in a violent feud with East Coast rap rivals, notably Sean `Puffy' Combs and his Bad Boy Records. He also signs up a white lad called Marshall Mathers
    11.10pm Part 6 Jimmy Iovine talks about his worry that that music bubble might burst due the emergence of Napster. An opportune sit-down between Jimmy and Dre led to the idea of Beats Electronics, the speaker-headphone phenomenon that would vault the partners to new heights and pave the way for an historic 2014 deal with Apple Music. Last in the series

11pm The Barry White Story - Let The Music Play (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the singer's life and career, looking at his childhood, his time in prison and his life-changing decision to go into music

11.05pm Film: Whitney - Can I Be Me? (2017) (BBC2)
    Director Nick Broomfield makes use of previously unused footage and live performance recordings to tell the life story of Whitney Houston, the celebrated American singer who died in 2012 aged 48. Despite making millions of dollars, and achieving more consecutive number-one hits than The Beatles, Whitney's time in the spotlight left her believing she `wasn't free' to be herself, and here, Broomfield assesses the circumstances that would bring a talented performer of international repute to believe she was a victim of her own success

11.30pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    As Thursday

11.55pm Hits, Hype & Hustle - An Insiders Guide To The Music Business (BBC4)
    Music public relations expert Alan Edwards tells the story of why so many bands are getting back together, what happens when they do - and how such reunions have changed the music business. He starts by recalling the UK's first revival concert, which took place over 40 years ago at Wembley Stadium (which was on Sky Arts last week). Featuring Bill Hailey and the Comets, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis - the event opened the eyes of promoters to the power of yesterday's hit-makers to reach an audience and make money. From there, Alan takes on a musical journey through some of the biggest reunions of the last 30 years. Contributors include Glen Matlock, Debbie Harry, Stewart Copeland and Melanie C. Last in the series

Midnight Marvin Gaye - What's Going On? (Sky Arts)
    A profile of the soul singer, songwriter and producer, who helped shape the sound of Motown in the 1960s and released a string of classic albums in the 1970s

12.55am Killing Me Softly - The Roberta Flack Story (BBC4)
    A documentary profile of the American singer, best known for her early 1970s hits such as The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, Where Is the Love and Killing Me Softly

1.15am Diana Ross Live In Central Park 1983 (Sky Arts)

1.55am Arena: American Epic - Blood and Soil (BBC4)
    The second of three programmes exploring American roots music focuses on gospel, including the story of a South Carolina religious leader who inspired Dizzy Gillespie with his use of music in worship. The programme also examines the music originating in the Mississippi Delta and the coal mining communities of Logan County, West Virginia

Saturday
    11.30am Trailblazers - Funk (Sky Arts)
    12.30am Trailblazers - Punk (Sky Arts)
    1.30am Trailblazers - Nuclear Prostest Songs (Sky Arts)

1pm And The Beat Goes On: The Sonny and Cher Story (True Movies)
    "I was shocked to discover that Sonny had passed away after an accident in a skiing adventure. Now i know what the true story is with Sonny and Cher. I never knew that Sonny was married to Cher and never knew that they sung together." says Ross Robinson on IMDB, who gave it 10/10 despite not having a notion who he was watching https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0185155/reviews?ref_=tt_urv Also on Youtube

2.30pm Norah Jones at Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

5pm In His Life: The John Lennon Story (True Movies)
    "The movie moved along at a brisk pace, which kept the interest high. For me it was a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon well spent." 9/10 from Midev on IMDB. However sonic_youth08 disagrees, he maintains "This movie was the worst acted piece of trash I've seen in a long time. For that matter, it was also the worst written piece of trash I've seen in a long time." He should try watching on a Sunday afternoon, that would learn him. Also on Youtube

6pm The Big Beat: Fats Domino and the Birth Of Rock and Roll (Sky Arts)
    Documentary tracing how American pianist and singer-songwriter Fats Domino's brand of New Orleans rhythm and blues morphed into rock 'n' roll, appealing to black and white audiences alike.

7pm Take Me Home: The John Denver Story (True Movies)
    "... And then there's the ridiculous. There is no other word for Chad Lowe's portrayal of John Denver. His comical attempts to look like he is singing would almost be funny if they weren't such an insult. It is obvious that he has no feeling for the music and no real grasp of the mannerisms of the man. He does, however, passably look the part" 6/10 from dudleydemon. dr71956 concurs, saying "Chad Lowe is simply awful. The lip synching he does for the songs is almost funny. He has never been a very effective actor but this performance wouldn't even get noticed in a high school competition. One has to wonder how he got this gig. 4/10" Also on Youtube

8pm Nat King Cole: Afraid Of The Dark (Sky Arts)
    A candid account of what really happened in and around his `fairy-tale' life is taken from his own written thoughts, interviews with his widow, Maria, and contributions by other family members and fellow musicians

9pm The Jazz Singer (True Movies)
    Ol' Donie pointed out that this was so bad it became the subject of an episode of "How Did This Get Made?"

For balance, edwagreen on IMDB says "Wonderful version of a cantor's son in conflict over his orthodox Jewish beliefs and his desire to be a singing star."

10pm Gregory Porter: Don't Forget Your Music (Sky Arts) New!
    It's another Gregory Porter Doc, this one is about his early life. Told through interviews with friends and fans, this documentary traces the Grammy Award-winning singer's journey to international fame.

10.45pm Top Of The Pops 1987 - April 23 (BBC4)
    11.15pm Top Of The Pops 1987 - April 30 (BBC4)

11.50pm Life And Death Of Sam Cooke (Sky Arts)

1.20am The Defiant Ones Part 5&6 (BBC4)

1.50am The Barry White Story - Let The Music Play (Sky Arts)

2.10am Brian Pern (GOLD)

S1 Ep3

Sunday
    7.40am Classic Quadrophenia (Sky Arts)
    From London's Royal Albert Hall, Pete Townshend, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor Robert Ziegler and a host of guests, including Alfie Boe, put a classical spin on the Who's 1973 album Quadrennial

9.30pm Port (TG4)
    Traditional Music from Brittany

10pm Randy Newman at Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

10.30pm Junior (TG4)
    Twenty years after the death of Junior Crehan, family members, musicians and dancers including Paddy Glackin, Donal Lunny, Tim Dennehy and Liam O'Brien gather to honour him

11pm Nina Simone Live at Montreux 1976 (TG4)

11.40pm Music Icons - James Taylor (Sky Arts)

... that's more or less that. The quiz question comes from an Episode of RTE1's Music Quiz show Number One from 1990, with Larry Gogan and Dave Fanning v Joe 'here for tax reasons' Elliott and Zig and Zag. Joe Elliott appears to be properly hungover but ploughs on manfully. This went up on KillianM2's excellent channel this week, he has all sorts on that including some excellent music footage

... and to answer my earlier question, at 5 minutes 16 seconds init is revealed that most of the B 52's Album Cosmic Thing was produced by ... Nile Rodgers ! Like pretty much every record from the 80s apparently.

Advertisement