Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,658 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Juat watched the Showband documentary presented by Ardal O’Hanlon - excellent :)

‘Spit On Me Dickie’ and ‘Zip Up Your Mickey’ on BBC Four :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Juat watched the Showband documentary presented by Ardal O’Hanlon - excellent :)

I enjoyed it, shame there isn't more footage of the bands on stage.

Sinatra had a nerve playing on the Strip in Las Vegas when people could walk down the road and watch Dickie Rock doing the same songs better :pac:

I think that show will get one or several repeats on BBC NI in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The work ethic was impressive , Mondays off

Would like to have seen Wee Black And The Hoot’Nannys Live :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

There's a song in that.

• Advertisement

Imelda May live on Sky Arts - looking and sounding mighty hawt :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Skid X wrote: »
    I am enjoying this Showband thing.

Nice bit of culture on BBC4, for a change.

Adrigole Hall where my parents met briefly popped up. It's so remote I'm amazed bands travelled there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

11.50pm Ultimate Cover Versions at the BBC (BBC4)
    Footage includes artists as diverse as the Moody Blues, Soft Cell, Alexandra Burke, Mariah Carey and UB40 scoring chart hits that are, in some cases, perhaps even better than the original
    Some great material in this show, though I did manage to fast forward through Kylie and one other.

I never knew that Tainted Love was a cover of a 60s hit. It always seemed like the definitive 80s synth new romantic/goth track to me. Funny to see that it was a soul standard given the 80s treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Netflix will be releasing ‘ReMastered’, a documentary about the Miami Showband massacre, on Friday.

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80191046

And that’s all from the sports desk...over to you Skid with the main headlines!

Oooooooooo you're in so much trouble

Netflix will be releasing ‘ReMastered’, a documentary about the Miami Showband massacre, on Friday.

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80191046

And that’s all from the sports desk...over to you Skid with the main headlines!

A-Ha! Thank you Welshie, yes that's coming up and it might be worth a look as there's not a whole lot on the regular channels this week, to be honest. The new show on Sky Arts is about Sleaford Mods ... not too familiar with them, to be honest. BBC4 are just showing repeats from this month for some reason, with some Country stuff. TG4 has a whole lotta Sean Keane on Sunday

Thursday
    3pm & 3am Classic Albums: U2 - The Joshua Tree (Sky Arts)

4pm Johnny Cash Song By Song - Hurt (Sky Arts)
    4.30pm Dolly Parton Song By Song - Travelin' Thru (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & 11.30pm Top Of The Pops 1987 - July 2nd (BBC4)
    Simon Bates presents the chart show, first broadcast on July 2, featuring ABC, Atlantic Starr, Curiosity Killed the Cat, Black, Billy Idol, A-ha, Broken English, Pet Shop Boys and Simple Minds

9pm A Little Bit Showband - Paddy Cole (TG4)

11.30pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    featuring performances by Little Green Cars, Seamus Fogarty and Tamino

12.15am Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road - Billy Joel (Sky Arts)

1.15am Joe Cocker - Mad Dog With Soul (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the rise of the singer, a gas fitter playing in Sheffield pubs who was catapulted to stardom following a spectacular appearance at Woodstock in 1969

Friday
    12pm & 3am The Barry White Story - Let The Music Play (Sky Arts)

2pm Ella Fitzgerald Sings (Sky Arts)
    1965 concert

7pm Classic Albums: The Doors - The Doors (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1987- July 9th (BBC4)
    Gary Davies introduces performances by Shakin' Stevens, a-ha, Black, Genesis, Jackie Wilson, Mel & Kim, Heart, the Christians, Pet Shop Boys and Terence Trent D'Arby

8pm & 1am Kenny Rogers: Cards On The Table (BBC4)
    Documentary chronicling Rogers' career and the golden era of country music he helped usher in, reflecting on how he rose to become a superstar selling over 120 million albums worldwide. Making use of a candid interview with the performer, the film also looks at his success in other fields, including tennis and photography. http://mentalfloss.com/article/67629/5-surprising-facts-about-kenny-rogers

8pm Music Icons - Jefferson Airplane (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Music Icons - The Police (Sky Arts)

9pm The Secret Science Of Pop (BBC4)
    Evolutionary biologist Professor Armand Leroi gathers a team of scientists and researchers to analyse more than 50 years of UK chart music. When the results are in, Armand teams up with producer Trevor Horn. Using machine-learning techniques, they try to take a song by unsigned artist Nike Jemiyo and turn it into a potential chart-topper. I wasn't impressed by this but this chap enjoyed it https://therationalaudiophile.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/the-secret-science-of-pop/

9pm & Midnight Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road - Mark Knopfler (Sky Arts)

10pm Dire Straits: Alchemy 1983 (Sky Arts)
    1983 Concert

10pm Duran Duran - There's Something You Should Know (BBC4)
    This was on two weeks ago, don't know why it's getting another airing now. Forty years since the formation of the band who went on to become one of the biggest acts of the 1980s, Simon Le Bon, John Taylor, Nick Rhodes and Roger Taylor open up about the highs and lows of their career - with archive footage of former guitarist Andy Taylor helping round out the story. The documentary charts their trajectory through seven of their 14 albums, each one uncovering a compelling chapter in the history of five lads from Birmingham who had one simple dream - to become the biggest band in the world. Contributors include Boy George, Nile Rodgers and Mark Ronson.

10.30pm Glam Rock at the BBC (BBC4)
    T. Rex, David Bowie, Roxy Music, Alice Cooper, Suzi Quatro, Slade, the Sweet, Elton John, Queen and Sparks are among those featured in this compilation

11.55pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    As Thursday

12.30am Sings Neil Diamond (BBC4)
    Including Red Red Wine by UB40, Urge Overkill's version of Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon, Robert Wyatt's take on I'm a Believer and Lulu singing Boat That I Row

1am Teddy Prendergrass - If You Don't Know Me (Sky Arts)
    A profile of the soul singer, who found fame as lead vocalist with Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes but had a successful solo career curtailed by a car crash that left him paralyzed https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/teddy_pendergrass_if_you_dont_know_me_by_now/reviews/

2am Arena: American Epic - The Sessions (BBC4)
    Elton John, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Alabama Shakes, Jack White, Nas, Ana Gabriel, Beck, Los Lobos and Steve Martin are among the modern artists who test their skills against the demands of the recording machine that literally made American music. There are no edits, no overdubs, and no retakes, and the disc only allows for three minutes of recording time. Despite these limitations, today's recordings for American Epic have one advantage - the freshly recorded sound is crystal clear and of an astonishing depth, transporting listeners vividly into the past - and the future. Narrated by Robert Redford. Last in the series
    There's a Youtube version here with German Subtitles

Saturday
    6pm Classic Albums: Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland (Sky Arts)

7.15pm Rolling Stones: Sticky Fingers Live at the Fonda Theatre (Sky Arts)
    2015 performance of the 1971 Album

9pm Bunch Of Kunst: A Film About Sleaford Mods (Sky Arts) New!
    A profile of the Nottingham electronic punk music duo, following Jason Williamson, Andrew Fearn and their manager Steve Underwood as they rise from obscurity to chart success

10.40pm Top Of The Pops 1987 - July 2nd (BBC4)

11pm Sex Pistols: There'll Always Be An England (Sky Arts)
    2007 live convert of Never Mind The Bollix

11.10pm Top Of The Pops 1987 - July 9th (BBC4)

11.40pm Sisters In Country: Dolly, Linda and EmmyLou (BBC4)
    How Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris's careers took off in the 1970s with very distinct takes on country music, before they came together to collaborate on a successful album in 1987

12.30am Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road - Mark Knopfler (Sky Arts)

12.40am Totally Psychedelic Rock at the BBC (BBC4)
    Performers include Status Quo, the Incredible String Band, Donovan, the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, Julie Driscoll with Brian Auger and the Trinity, the Moody Blues, the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Joe Cocker, the Move, Procol Harum, Cream, Jimi Hendrix and the Who

1.30am Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story (Sky Arts)
    A profile of the guitarist and producer, who helped shape David Bowie's career while a member of the Spiders from Mars and worked with Morrissey, Van Morrison and Bob Dylan

Sunday
    8pm The Stones In The Park (Sky Arts)
    1969 Concert

9pm Sid Vicious - Who Killed Nancy? (Sky Arts)
    A look at the controversy surrounding the death of Nancy Spungen, the girlfriend of Sex Pistols bassist Sid Vicious and whose body was found in a New York hotel room in 1978
    In full here

9.30pm Se Mo Laoch - Sean Keane
    A closer look at the personal life and professional career of the multi-award-winning Irish fiddle player Sean Keane, with guests Paddy Glackin and Sean Og (TG4)

10.30pm Mna an Cheoil (TG4)
    Exploring the history of female musicians who play traditional Irish music on the concertina, melodeon and accordion, featuring Mary McNamara, Maire Una Ni Bheaglaoich, Caitlin Nic Gabhann and Edel Fox

11pm Sean Keane and The RTE Concert Orchestra (TG4)
    The musician in concert at the National Concert Hall in Dublin, featuring Gratitude, an album recorded with the RTÉ Concert Orchestra, under conductor David Brophy

11pm Brian Johnston's A Life On The Road - Mark Knopfler (Sky Arts)
    Again

Midnight Eric Clapton Live In California (Sky Arts)
    2001 Concert

12.30am David Cassidy: The Last Session (BBC4)
    Candid biography exploring the life of the '70s pop idol and TV star, including never-before-heard audio interviews with David from 1976 and a raw and poignantly filmed final recording session shortly before his death in November 2017

3.40am Rock And Roll (Sky Arts)
    Part 8/10 Anger

RTE1 has a series about music tribes starting on Monday, in English and Irish

There isn't much happening in British Politics at the moment so the BBC's Newsnight had a chat with Paddy MacAloone about what Prefab Sprout's King Of Rock And Roll was all about and other stuff (they didn't ask why Paddy looks like Papa Smurf now)

and finally, the best Republican Medley on BBC1 this week might have been courtesy of Sligo farmer and Alan Partridge LookaLike Martin Brennan on This Time with Alan Partridge. Lovely stuff

https://twitter.com/hughesms/status/1107766925776613377

and a bit of When You Were Sweet Sixteen for the road

https://twitter.com/boltonted/status/1107765997115764736

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Sweet Jaysus! Are they sure that's Paddy MacAloone and not a former Balkan leader in disguise ? WTF happened to him?

Found this clip...great song from a great band. :)

Gaybo just can’t get over that name :D

I heard Ronan Collins playing the Jimmy Nail version of this during the week ... I had no idea it was a Paddy McAloon song, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

9pm Sid Vicious - Who Killed Nancy? (Sky Arts)

Bit of a mistake in the listings there, it's supposed to be called "Sid Vicious, Who Killed Nancy" :p

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Sweet Jaysus! Are they sure that's Paddy MacAloone and not a former Balkan leader in disguise ? WTF happened to him?

he's been a bit of a recluse for years, had some serious health issues I believe.

Steve McQueen and Jordan: The Comeback are masterpieces, he's got a free pass to do what he likes.

I see his solo album "I trawl the megahertz" has been re-released as a Prefab Sprout record, off to listen to that now:
    https://open.spotify.com/album/3JtTs7tzD7uj6hpPb1apkT?si=1UWaI_XBSDCFupYxD_g2SQ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Hey, I love Prefab Sprout. That man can right amazing, hair raising, heartbreaking music. Bit I did get a fright when I saw him in that clip.

Martin Fry - top of the fops :cool:

‘Sweet Sixteen’

Not as good as the version I heard from Alan Partridge’s Irish friend :D

Simon Bates is bad enough presenting with someone else, he's horrendous solo.

“A band for the nineties.”

:confused::confused::confused:

Forget house music, rave, grunge, gangsta rap, Britpop and nu-metal, make way for...

Who are these again? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭trashcan

loyatemu wrote: »
    he's been a bit of a recluse for years, had some serious health issues I believe.

Steve McQueen and Jordan: The Comeback are masterpieces, he's got a free pass to do what he likes.

I see his solo album "I trawl the megahertz" has been re-released as a Prefab Sprout record, off to listen to that now:
    https://open.spotify.com/album/3JtTs7tzD7uj6hpPb1apkT?si=1UWaI_XBSDCFupYxD_g2SQ

He has serious hearing difficulties. Can't perform live anymore for that reason. Certainly a fabulous songwriter at his best.

‘It’s A Sin’ - classic :)

Some fine heads of hair on show tonight!

D2NPAwHWkAE5E8e?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

“A band for the nineties.”

:confused::confused::confused:

Forget house music, rave, grunge, gangsta rap, Britpop and nu-metal, make way for...

I didn't it, but please tell me what idiotic proclamation he made? Because you just know that it's bad....

BandMember wrote: »
    I didn't it, but please tell me what idiotic proclamation he made? Because you just know that it's bad....

He introduced a band called Broken English who sounded like a Rolling Stones tribute act and pronounced them as "A band for the nineties"

They never had another Top 40 hit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_English_(band)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rip It Up Unwrapped

I missed the first few episodes. But caught this one , half an hour crammed packed blasts from the past.
    3/8. The best of Scottish synth from Simple Minds to The Associates, Bronski Beat to Chvrches. Contains some strong language.

Next one is on
    BBC Scotland Sat 23 Mar 2019 22:30 GMT

4/8. This is the story of how a group of friends from Lanarkshire influenced a generation of American rock, and cemented the reputation of Scottish indie music on a global stage.

on Freesat
    108 BBC ScotlandHD
    174 BBC Scotland

Rip It Up Unwrapped

I missed the first few episodes. But caught this one , half an hour crammed packed blasts from the past.
    3/8. The best of Scottish synth from Simple Minds to The Associates, Bronski Beat to Chvrches. Contains some strong language.

Next one is on
    BBC Scotland Sat 23 Mar 2019 22:30 GMT

4/8. This is the story of how a group of friends from Lanarkshire influenced a generation of American rock, and cemented the reputation of Scottish indie music on a global stage.

on Freesat
    108 BBC ScotlandHD
    174 BBC Scotland
    Will it be on Ireland BBC do you know? Likely to be on BBC4 in the near future?

I've tons of 1987's to watch, all saved along with some 1986's yet to watch. How do you guys get the time to look at all of these? I need to start logging on here and post-and-watch - otherwise i'll end up deleting most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Welshie doesn't watch them at all. He just remembers the original broadcast.

• Advertisement

He introduced a band called Broken English who sounded like a Rolling Stones tribute act and pronounced them as "A band for the nineties"

They never had another Top 40 hit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_English_(band)

Who could forget the heady summer of 1995, when Blur and Broken English battled for number one in the singles chart?

:pac: :D

Advertisement