Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Will it be on Ireland BBC do you know? Likely to be on BBC4 in the near future?

There's the synthpop episode Capt'n Midnight mentioned, I don't see any others on Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 72,658 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Shaky hired Alan Partridge’s Hot Pants by mistake! :eek:

Sprunt! :D

Don’t remember Bruce Willis getting so high in the charts! :eek:

You’re so NOT invited to the party, pal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

Skid X wrote: »
    The new show on Sky Arts is about Sleaford Mods ... not too familiar with them, to be honest.
    I wasn't too familiar either, some of my friends would put them on when I dropped over maybe, but I went to see them last month (why not...€25 in, place was packed) and they were absolutely superb. The documentary looks aged at this stage (2017) as they have progressed since. Certainly an act out there doing something very different from most.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Will it be on Ireland BBC do you know? Likely to be on BBC4 in the near future?
    I don't know but I'd doubt it :(

Pop goes Northern Ireland is very similar in concept to RTE's Reeling In The Years.

The music is grand, but, Oh My God, the news is awful , watch any one of the six episodes and you'll never question why a Brexit backstop is needed to prevent a hard border.

It's a must watch, but I doubt it'll be on BBC4 or BBC1 anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A-Ha! Thank you Welshie, yes that's coming up and it might be worth a look as there's not a whole lot on the regular channels this week, to be honest. The new show on Sky Arts is about Sleaford Mods ... not too familiar with them, to be honest.

Channelling Alan? :D I wasn't familiar with them either, but they got lots of coverage on BBC when they were at Glastonbury last time round, watched most of their set and enjoyed it.

Pop goes Northern Ireland is very similar in concept to RTE's Reeling In The Years.

The music is grand, but, Oh My God, the news is awful , watch any one of the six episodes and you'll never question why a Brexit backstop is needed to prevent a hard border.

I've recorded all of those Pop Goes NI (two series, now) but haven't been able to bring myself to watch any of them yet... When you're my age you can remember what's coming up :(

Think he was asking about the BBC Scotland Rip It Up programme though - I'd expect it to turn up on BBC4, it's not like they've got tons of new programming to fill up the space... I've set an EPG alert so if it turns up I'll let you know...

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Who's that black record producer in the white hat on with Duran Duran? His face is vaguely familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Who's that black record producer in the white hat on with Duran Duran? His face is vaguely familiar.

Think it's Nigel Riggers. Don't quote me on that though. Bloody good roadie. Can unload a truck in 21 mins flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »

Think it's Nigel Riggers. Don't quote me on that though. Bloody good roadie. Can unload a truck in 21 mins flat.
    Roadies for a lot of artists, I believe.

His main responsibility with the Durans is loading and unloading Nick Rhodes' make up truck.

The eyeliner vats are particularly tricky to handle and only someone with Nigel's vast experience and expertise can be trusted to get the job done with the speed required to allow Nick to get behind his synth fully Revloned at each gig.

Nick refuses to tour without him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

No no no, never say 'guitar' before a guitar solo. And also don't smile your way through the solo, you're meant to be cool!

• Advertisement

Cillarex.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    No no no, never say 'guitar' before a guitar solo. And also don't smile your way through the solo, you're meant to be cool!

Missed that. What was it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I say "Guitar" before I blast out a wicked solo.

Partly cos the kids these days barely know what a guitar is.

*grumble grumble*

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Missed that. What was it in?

Steve Harley, 'Come up and see me'.

Glam Rock at the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

He introduced a band called Broken English who sounded like a Rolling Stones tribute act and pronounced them as "A band for the nineties"

They never had another Top 40 hit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_English_(band)

I'm sorry I asked! I retract my question. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Well it was a move on from:

It's Living in a box. With eh 'Living in a box':pac:

Just watched the first three episodes of ‘Rip It Up’ on BBC Scotland - excellent.

But...

Absolutely NO mention of Edwyn Collins and/or Orange Juice!! :eek: :(

For shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    No no no, never say 'guitar' before a guitar solo.

When they don't do that, the director cuts to the camera zoomed in on the bass player :rolleyes:

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

‘Sid Vicious, Who Killed Nancy’ right now on Sky Arts.

Can’t help but feel Malcolm McLaren left him to fend for himself after Nancy’s murder.

Never seen the film ‘Sid and Nancy’ with Gary Oldman - any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I saw it years ago because the Pogues did the soundtrack. It was a period of my life I can't remember much about and I can't remember if it was any good or not.

Johnny Rotten said this about it.
    I cannot understand why anyone would want to put out a movie like Sid and Nancy and not bother to speak to me; Alex Cox, the director, didn’t. He used as his point of reference – of all the people on this earth – Joe Strummer! That guttural singer from The Clash? What the **** did he know about Sid and Nancy? That’s probably all he could find, which was really scraping the bottom of the barrel. The only time Alex Cox made any approach toward me was when he sent the chap who was playing me over to New York where I was. This actor told me he wanted to talk about the script. During the two days he was there, he told me that the film had already been completed. The whole thing was a sham. It was a ploy to get my name used in connection with the film, in order to support it.

To me this movie is the lowest form of life. I honestly believe that it celebrates heroin addiction. It definitely glorifies it at the end when that stupid taxi drives off into the sky. That's such nonsense. The squalid New York hotel scenes were fine, except they needed to be even more squalid. All of the scenes in London with the Pistols were nonsense. None bore any sense of reality. The chap who played Sid, Gary Oldman, I thought was quite good. But even he only played the stage persona as opposed to the real person. I don’t consider that Gary Oldman's fault because he’s a bloody good actor. If only he had the opportunity to speak to someone who knew the man. I don’t think they ever had the intent to research properly in order to make a seriously accurate movie. It was all just for money, wasn't it? To humiliate somebody’s life like that – and very successfully – was very annoying to me. The final irony is that I still get asked questions about it. I have to explain that it's all wrong. It was all someone else’s ****ing fantasy, some Oxford graduate who missed the punk rock era. The bastard.

When I got back to London, they invited me to a screening. So I went to see it and was utterly appalled. I told Alex Cox, which was the first time I met him, that he should be shot, and he was quite lucky I didn't shoot him. I still hold him in the lowest light. Will the real Sid please stand up?

As for how I was portrayed, well, there's no offense in that. It was so off and ridiculous. It was absurd. Champagne and baked beans for breakfast? Sorry. I don't drink champagne. He didn't even speak like me. He had a Scouse accent. Worse, there's a slur implied in the movie that I was jealous of Nancy, which I find particularly loathsome. There is that implication that I feel was definitely put there. I guess that’s Alex Cox showing his middle class twittery. It’s all too glib, it’s all too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

up there with also-recently-deceased Mark Hollis for bizarre career trajectories. I couldn't get into his recent records but he could write a tune when he wanted to:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

No. It's an absolutely sh*te film and not in any way accurate, turned out very poorly and should be avoided in order to not waste your time.

To mark the passing of Scott Walker, Sky Arts are once again showing the excellent documentary ‘30 Century Man’ tonight at 10.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

sligojoek wrote: »
    I saw it years ago because the Pogues did the soundtrack. It was a period of my life I can't remember much about and I can't remember if it was any good or not.

Johnny Rotten said this about it.

Lydon is so full of manure on most things i hate agreeing with him, but he hits the nail on the head here. Oldman is great as Sid but the film doesn’t really try to dig deep to find the real Sid - aka John Beverley - and really just gives the popular cartoon version. Cox’s Straight to Hell is at least a bit of a laugh.

What a music-fest it was this weekend, especially on Sky Arts.

Loved the Mark Knopfler interview with Brian Johnson- God he's got old looking though- he looked like John McEnroe back in the day, in 1983- John McEnroe nearly still looks like John McEnroe today. MK looks nothing like John McEnroe today- Somethings' wrong here :confused::P

alchemy is probably one of the best live albums you can listen to- but eh, looking at it on video- those guitarists that surround Knopfler- I mean, seriously, runners, hot pants with glow in the dark stripes and that prancing around on stage- seriously embarrassing.:o:o:o (yes, that's 3 embarrassed faces :D)

Also, really liked the Mick Ronson documentary- what a sweet guy and he didn't at all get the credit and indeed rewards that he should have.

Oh listen, I grew up watching UTV-

"We interrupt this programme to advise key-holders to return to their premises"

Remember that?

massively predominant late 70's throughout programmes.

^^^ And sorry, in case that post felt insensitive, apologies. My viewing of UTV and interruptions in the 70's is immaterial to the suffering incurred to people in Northern Ireland throughout that time- I hope my post was taken purely in the context of the TV forum discussion at hand, which this is.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

On Mature recollection, (Where did I hear that before?) I see the Pogues only had two tracks on that soundtrack. I think there's a few instrumentals out there that weren't used in the film.

Advertisement